PDA

View Full Version : Artifact question

trialbyice
2011-01-09, 05:16 PM
I was in a D&D game awhile ago and there was an item we came across that we were never able to figure out. I done a lot of searches online and no one has anything posted about this time. I'll try and describe it because I guess it is an actual artifact and not something the DM created for the game.

The DM described it as a hollow tube or a rod
It is one part of a larger object (We knew that there was at least one other part)
The possessor of the item has to be neutral
It allows dimensional door to be cast a few times (not sure on the restrictions)
If I remember right it does detect alignment at will
If anyone touches it and are of the correct alignment it makes them not want to give it up (al a the One Ring)
We know that a remove curse will cause the person to drop the item but if they have been effected by touching the item they will try to get it back.

I really want to know what this item is because it is bothering me to no end as what it could be. I know that it is not part of the Rod of Seven Parts because it doesn't have the same abilities.

Any help would be appreciated.

woodenbandman
2011-01-09, 07:33 PM
So you want online help to metagame your DM's artifact? That's not very polite of you.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-09, 07:56 PM
Yeah really.

Anyway it strikes me as homebrew so you might be out of luck in any case. (At first it reminded me of the Rod of Neutrality, but it seems the powers don't match up at all).

Dragon Star
2011-01-09, 07:59 PM
Maybe the rod of neutrality. It's part of a set of the orb crown and rod, which in turn are part of 3 sets one for N E and G. It's in arms and equipment guide.

trialbyice
2011-01-09, 08:01 PM
I'm not metagaming. That particular adventure has been over for awhile since we all got killed when the mage broke his staff of the magi to kill the Demi-lich we were last up against. We're playing a band of dwarven mining company guards that have been tasked to find a new source of metal for our war against the drow.

My buddy and I were talking about our past adventures a few weeks ago and he remembered that our bard had that item. I went back and looked again after I posted and I wondered if maybe this wasn't something our DM did come up with. The rod of seven parts was also known as the rod of law. I wonder if maybe he didn't come up with a rod of chaos (a reverse Rod of Law) and just switched around some of the powers.

supermonkeyjoe
2011-01-10, 07:06 AM
That sounds familiar, possibly one of the parts of The Rod of Seven Parts (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rod_of_Seven_Parts)? I think the most up to date version I've seen is in the Arms and Equipment Guide.

Aharon
2011-01-10, 08:27 AM
Nah, seems like homebrew to me. Neither the rod nor the scepter fit.

MickJay
2011-01-10, 10:01 AM
Have you tried asking your DM about that item? :smallbiggrin:

Dragon Star
2011-01-10, 02:36 PM
Ah,yes. I meant scepter.

trialbyice
2011-01-10, 05:56 PM
After thinking about it a bit more I think our DM just created a reverse of the Rod of Law making a Rod of Chaos. Understandable since a lot of things in D&D have an opposite to contend with.