PDA

View Full Version : The Amazing All-Important Aspergers Thread I!

Ohmyani
2011-01-09, 06:08 PM
This thread exists for all and any peoples with Aspergers to post about their experiences and for general discussion! It would also be a good resource for people to learn about us Aspies :smallsmile:

I personally am a high-functioning Aspie! I'm 17, and I have a social age of 14, as opposed to 12. I've learned enough now where I can basically hold conversations with most everyone normally too :D

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-09, 06:15 PM
what is aspergers? i've never really understood what it was

Ohmyani
2011-01-09, 06:24 PM
Aspergers is a subset of autism that hinders social skills. We have trouble reading faces and emotions, don't always understand social rules and etiquette, and have major problems with eye contact. Another odd thing is that our minds are changed a bit; an Aspies brain works very well in logical situations, and we tend to lend ourselves well to the fields of science, mathematics, and electronics.

Aspies also have extremely good vocabularies, are smarter than the norm for their age, are often clumsy, and have some object or topic that is their 'obsession'. Mine is video games and computers; I know a LOT about the industry and games in general, and can become stressed out if I go too long without playing on my xbox or using my laptop.

Most Aspies are loners of some sort, but it usually isn't by choice, just that they have trouble making friends.

A very limited definition of our symptoms are our social age; a normal Aspie is said to have a social age 5 years behind their actual age, whereas, I have only 3 behind, because I'm a high-functioning Autistic. It's basically saying where your social skills are.

Long definition, but it's still shorter than the wiki article. :smallwink:

EDIT: Another thing is that Aspies just don't see the point to a lot of social rules, and choose to not follow them, which can be seen as rude to some.

And finally, Aspies often go into and excel in careers that have to do with their obsession. It's even been said that Einstein had Aspergers! :smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 06:26 PM
what is aspergers? i've never really understood what it was

It is a form of autism. Running rampant through both sides of my family, my brother, mom, and dad all have it. I am about as close to having Aspergers as you can get without being diagnosed, can I post in this thread?

Ohmyani
2011-01-09, 06:28 PM
^Yep! It's basically just a place for Aspies and people who wanna talk about it can. So welcome :smallsmile:

Icewalker
2011-01-09, 09:47 PM
One thing worth noting, is that with many disorders of this stripe, it's more of a sliding scale than a defined line. You could fall anywhere on a line between zero symptoms of Aspergers/Autism and every single known symptom of Aspergers/Autism: some people are diagnosed, some people aren't, and everybody with the disorder is quite different (I believe that for autism there are 12 defined symptoms, and to be officially diagnosed, you are supposed to have 6 of them. So you could have two people with diagnosed autism with zero symptoms in common.)

I am not, although I have a friend who is a quite high functioning aspie, although I never knew until quite recently when he mentioned it. He was always just a somewhat random but perfectly functional guy, sometimes a bit more chaotic in times that called for reason. Very social and outgoing, with people he knows.

If people are interested in learning a bit about how Autism etc works from a more researched point of view, there are a series of lectures from Yale about Autism, available free. I know they're on iTunes U, a subset of the iTunes store full of college lectures and the like. They may be elsewhere online as well. Very interesting stuff.

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 10:00 PM
Is there any chance we can have Elan as our patron? I've always thought that Elan had Aspergers, as being an Aspie myself I know what to look for.

:elan:

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 10:29 PM
Is there any chance we can have Elan as our patron? I've always thought that Elan had Aspergers, as being an Aspie myself I know what to look for.

:elan:

Elan has social skills, suaveness (in his own, weird way) with ladies, and is not very logical. How so?

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 10:37 PM
Yes, but he sometimes misses the point completely socially, takes things literally to the point of obtuseness and he borrows a lot of social norms from his sense of drama. There's also the obsession with Banjo the Clown, his innability to take a hint no matter how obviously thrown his way and having a very black and white view of good and evil, no matter who he is talking to.

Convinced?

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 10:41 PM
Interesting... I might be :smalltongue: I also see that many Aspies I know (including me) have a fascination with stories, acting, cliches... Elan is a bard. :elan: But I'm not sure

Katana_Geldar
2011-01-09, 10:47 PM
It's a bit more than that, Elan supplements his lack of social skills (which he is clearly aware of) with his knowledge of drama and theatrics, can't think of any examples at the moment but I can sympathyse as you need some sort of substitute to understand what is going on.

And what about how people are so easily able to take advantage of Elan? Roy, Belkar and Haley know how to do this very well. Another sign of lack of social skills.

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 10:54 PM
Okay, I surrender <waves white flag> Elan seems like a high functioning Aspie. Shall I proceed to a story about my brother bowing to people so he doesn't need to make physical contact?

Blue Ghost
2011-01-09, 10:55 PM
Funny, I was just thinking about a potential Asperger's thread today.

My little brother is autistic. Not as severe as some others I know, but moderate. He's a bit of a loner, but he can hold his own in most situations.

I don't know much about Asperger's, but based on my limited knowledge, I may have some symptoms. Probably not enough for a diagnosis though.

Private-Prinny
2011-01-09, 10:55 PM
I am an Aspie, too, as many times as I've tried to deny it. Fortunately, I've been able to get that to work for me, instead of against me.

Math team, music, and now drama give me plenty of excuses to be around other people, which has led to a few friendships that managed to stick. My heavy interest in games has made me the resident DM for another small group.

The key is just getting involved in things you love, and being around people without feeling out of place feels... it feels good.

As an aside, as an Aspie I feel closer to Vaarsuvius than Elan. Right down to the logic, dry wit, and inability to put up with other people's crap when I'm trying to get something done.

Raistlin1040
2011-01-09, 10:59 PM
Cheers, thread. I am not autistic, but I do hope this thread doesn't go the way of the last Aspergers/Autism thread.

Blue Ghost
2011-01-09, 11:02 PM
Cheers, thread. I am not autistic, but I do hope this thread doesn't go the way of the last Aspergers/Autism thread.

What happened there?

Haruki-kun
2011-01-09, 11:04 PM
I don't know if I have it. A psychologist told my parents I might be a case of Asperger's, but then another psychologist said it didn't make sense to think I had it.

The second psychologist knew me longer and I probably trust her more, but I still have that lingering doubt... Anyone know how to find out for sure?

EDIT: Oh, yeah, and... I do have ADHD, so some of the traits kind of overlap.

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 11:10 PM
Improv and acting has been a huge part in my life for a long time. I am smarter than the norm for my age, and have huge difficulties with working with other people. I have hyper sensitivity, so can barely stand touching certain things (something some other Aspies I know have). What happened to the last thread? Did no one post because that meant getting into a conversation? :smallwink:

Raistlin1040
2011-01-09, 11:15 PM
It started as a thread that was basically talking about the condition (Sidenote: as someone who is not Autistic, how do you like it to be referred to? Disease seems insensitive and not entirely true, but condition doesn't sound good either) and how different people deal with it, etc. There were some non-Aspergers people that were talking about it as well. IIRC, a group of people started talking about "Aspie Pride", and how they saw it as a positive because they were smarter than other people. A group of non-Aspergers people got somewhat offended, because they felt like they were being talked down to and responded, and the Aspie Priders said that social skills were less important than intelligence and made some poorly worded comments that were taken as insults and the whole thing exploded into a flamewar.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's somewhat overdiagnosed, much in the vein of ADD, but that's just because in my experience (with all respect to the high functioning people here, of which I already see there are a few) it's often used as an excuse. Some people are naturally sociable and some people are not, but either way, you don't magically develop social skills. It's something that's learned and in my (limited) experience with people with Aspergers, it often comes off as "I don't need to try and relate/empathize/socialize with people because of I have Aspergers". Basically, I don't like putting kids in boxes based on their personalities, and I think separating kids who are "High Functioning Aspergers" away from all the other shy and/or immature kids through a label is generally not a great idea.

I apologize if this seems insensitive or unfair. This is just based on my experience.

Private-Prinny
2011-01-09, 11:31 PM
It started as a thread that was basically talking about the condition (Sidenote: as someone who is not Autistic, how do you like it to be referred to? Disease seems insensitive and not entirely true, but condition doesn't sound good either) and how different people deal with it, etc.

I call it a condition, personally. It doesn't have that same connotation that "disease" does.

There were some non-Aspergers people that were talking about it as well. IIRC, a group of people started talking about "Aspie Pride", and how they saw it as a positive because they were smarter than other people. A group of non-Aspergers people got somewhat offended, because they felt like they were being talked down to and responded, and the Aspie Priders said that social skills were less important than intelligence and made some poorly worded comments that were taken as insults and the whole thing exploded into a flamewar.

*facepalm*

Yes, Aspies tend to have above-average intelligence. No, that does not give us room to gloat. I still find myself being constantly jealous of other people's social skills. :smallsigh:

Probably the worst part about that whole affair, I can imagine, is that the Aspies were completely unaware that they were insulting people.

Personally, I'm of the opinion that it's somewhat overdiagnosed, much in the vein of ADD, but that's just because in my experience (with all respect to the high functioning people here, of which I already see there are a few) it's often used as an excuse.

Some people self-diagnose, which tends to have a higher chance of reaching for an excuse. It might not be your imagination.

Some people are naturally sociable and some people are not, but either way, you don't magically develop social skills.

I know what you mean. I had regular visits with a social therapist throughout my childhood to get up to par for a regular conversation.

It's something that's learned and in my (limited) experience with people with Aspergers, it often comes off as "I don't need to try and relate/empathize/socialize with people because of I have Aspergers".

Weird, I always thought I need to try even harder, since my natural inability makes it harder for me.

Basically, I don't like putting kids in boxes based on their personalities, and I think separating kids who are "High Functioning Aspergers" away from all the other shy and/or immature kids through a label is generally not a great idea.

The main issue is that the people who actually have HFA have a harder time fixing these issues, while typical people tend to outgrow them eventually. The line needs to be drawn somewhere if they're going to get any help.

I apologize if this seems insensitive or unfair. This is just based on my experience.

Not at all. Since I've been on the bad end of accidentally seeming insensitive one too many times, I tend to assume "misinformed" more than anything else.

MoonCat
2011-01-09, 11:40 PM
I call it a condition, personally. It doesn't have that same connotation that "disease" does.

*facepalm*

Yes, Aspies tend to have above-average intelligence. No, that does not give us room to gloat. I still find myself being constantly jealous of other people's social skills. :smallsigh:

Totally all of this. *facepalm* indeed. I just say "with Aspies", but I don't mind any very much except for disease. I dislike anyone who gloats about their intelligence, and envy those who can easily surround themselves with friends upon entering a community. Neither side should flame eachother.

Emperor Ing
2011-01-10, 12:46 AM
All it means for me is that I have trouble answering "why" questions and I can't bear to look anyone in the eye.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-10, 01:09 AM
Yes, but he sometimes misses the point completely socially, takes things literally to the point of obtuseness and he borrows a lot of social norms from his sense of drama. There's also the obsession with Banjo the Clown, his innability to take a hint no matter how obviously thrown his way and having a very black and white view of good and evil, no matter who he is talking to.

And what about how people are so easily able to take advantage of Elan? Roy, Belkar and Haley know how to do this very well. Another sign of lack of social skills.
Elan is not an Aspie by any means. He's simply not very smart. He's more of a "dumb but sweet pretty boy actor." Think Owen Wilson.

Yes, Aspies tend to have above-average intelligence. No, that does not give us room to gloat.
Actually this statement by itself is still very insulting. Perhaps more so than "I'm smarter than you" since instead of individualistic attributions (most people do agree that some are smarter than others) it makes it seem like you're putting down non-Aspies as a group in the same way racism works.

Serpentine
2011-01-10, 01:27 AM
Actually this statement by itself is still very insulting. Perhaps more so than "I'm smarter than you" since instead of individualistic attributions (most people do agree that some are smarter than others) it makes it seem like you're putting down non-Aspies as a group in the same way racism works.If it's a statement of fact that "People with Aspergers tend to have an above-average IQ", then there's no insult involved. It's just a statement of fact, assuming that it's true - I'm not sure, but the tendency towards obsession and details suggests that it's quite possible. "Aspergers are smarter than everyone else and therefore better and who needs social skills anyway?" is both wrong and insulting.

The guy I went out with in high school has been diagnosed with Aspergers. When I told Dr. Mum about it, she said she would've thought I'd have it before him. So yay?
His... obsessive tendencies? lean much more on the creative rather than analytical side. Pretty much any instrument he picks up he can work out how to play fairly quickly. He owns about 15 guitars, has been in 2 metal bands (one collapsed, he's started a new one since), does a lot of drawing and painting, has tried his hand at novel writing (I suspect his grammar and spelling would need a lot of editing, but I have no idea how his story-crafting would be) as well as song writing, and to a large extent is your average nerd.
I'm told he's scary-looking, though. I don't see it.

A friend of my Boy we think might have Aspergers. He's always a bit socially awkard, and he knows pretty much everything imaginable about his handful of interests - Harry Potter, tennis, table tennis, the Beatles, one or two others I forget, and one or two that are temporary and change regularly.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-10, 01:39 AM
If it's a statement of fact that "People with Aspergers tend to have an above-average IQ", then there's no insult involved. It's just a statement of fact, assuming that it's true - I'm not sure, but the tendency towards obsession and details suggests that it's quite possible. "Aspergers are smarter than everyone else and therefore better and who needs social skills anyway?" is both wrong and insulting.
Except it's not a fact. There's several reasons this statement is false, such as: selection bias (people with low IQ's are generally diagnosed with something else rather than autism), testing bias (most IQ tests typically test only spatial and verbal logic skills, something that IS associated with autism but only partly correlated with intelligence) and the fact that high intelligence actually requires breadth and the ability to make associations.

Einstein may be known for his work in physics, but he would have done just as well if he chose, say, biology or engineering. Intelligence also means learning ability, not just pure logic (which is only one facet of it), and the ability to do well in pretty much any field. A kid who gets B's in both English, math, a foreign language and geography is more likely to be highly intelligent than someone who gets straight A+'s in English (or any other one discipline) and wins poetry (or any other discipline) competitions but gets C's in other disciplines.

In conclusion, yes, Aspies are better at logic, spatial reasoning, math and the like, but this does not make them any more or less intelligent than the general public.

Serpentine
2011-01-10, 01:46 AM
It is, though, what is covered by normal IQ. Now, usually people forget about all the other IQs - emotional and social, in particular - but that goes for both people making the claim and those getting offended by it.

Heliomance
2011-01-10, 06:57 AM
The problem is that intelligence as a concept is very poorly defined.

Also an Aspie here. I've spent the least twelve years learning how to pretend to be normal though, so you probably wouldn't know to meet me.

Lord Herman
2011-01-10, 08:25 AM
I'm currently seeing a psychiatrist to see if I have Aspergers or a related condition. So far, she says some of the symptoms I have do fit Aspergers, but some of them also match those of ADD and Intellectual Giftedness, the latter of which I have had confirmed before. So I guess it is indeed a fuzzy sliding-scale sort of thing.

Sneak
2011-01-10, 11:10 AM
Let me preface this post by saying that I truly do not wish to offend anyone. If I do so, let me sincerely apologize.

Like Raistlin said, I feel like Asperger's is one of those over-diagnosed ADHD/ADD type deals where the definition of it is very fuzzy, and it is accordingly hard (or easy, looking at it the other way) to diagnose. If one were to consult two different professionals, one might say "yep, definitely Asperger's" and the other might say "most likely not" (and the amount of money that the professional is being paid for their services could potentially influence the diagnosis).

And especially in places like this on the internet, full of smart, socially awkward people with resources like Wikipedia right at their fingertips, people tend to self-diagnose themselves with all kinds of syndromes and such. "I get straight A's, have trouble making friends, and have an above average knowledge of and affinity for 80's Chevrolet commercials...so I must have Asperger's."

Which in turn devalues the significance of the diagnosis itself.

I'm not saying that I think Asperger's doesn't exist, and I'm certainly not an expert on the matter. I just recommend some caution and perhaps a grain of salt or two whilst dealing with Asperger's diagnoses.

blackfox
2011-01-10, 02:58 PM
Hrm, another autism thread. Hopefully this one can Be Nice.
I, personally, am not on the autism spectrum and have limited experience with adults on the autism spectrum--all but one are Aspies high-functioning enough that I wasn't able to tell that 'something was up' without them telling me about the diagnosis. However, I have a young cousin with Asperger Syndrome and I've been able to watch her grow up and learn to cope with the condition.
I'd also like to second Raistlin's question on what's PC or otherwise acceptable re: referring to people with Asperger's or other forms of autism? I generally use 'condition' for neurological or other phenomena that are not explicitly mental illness, as it doesn't have quite as much of a negative connotation as 'disorder' or 'disease.'

DwarvenExodus
2011-01-10, 03:17 PM
I am an Aspie, too, as many times as I've tried to deny it. Fortunately, I've been able to get that to work for me, instead of against me.

Math team, music, and now drama give me plenty of excuses to be around other people, which has led to a few friendships that managed to stick. My heavy interest in games has made me the resident DM for another small group.

The key is just getting involved in things you love, and being around people without feeling out of place feels... it feels good.

As an aside, as an Aspie I feel closer to Vaarsuvius than Elan. Right down to the logic, dry wit, and inability to put up with other people's crap when I'm trying to get something done.

Are... are you me?

MoonCat
2011-01-10, 03:22 PM
Are... are you me?

Then... are you me?

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-10, 03:43 PM
Okay, I surrender <waves white flag> Elan seems like a high functioning Aspie. Shall I proceed to a story about my brother bowing to people so he doesn't need to make physical contact?

I do this too and I don't have Aspergers (and I'm not Asian).

Could I also participate in this thread seeing as I do everything Aspies do (including the obsession for interest) and have also social issues, but I'm not an Aspie. at least I hope so

Also, I have a first cousing with Aspergers, I haven't seen him in 8 years, he is eight currently, I'm going to visit him in Boston this April, and I would like to know how to interact with him, as I have never know an Aspie, and my usual method of interaction is essentially ignoring people and trying to recluse myself in some enclosed space (bathrooms work great on birthdays and always carrying a DS helps prevent people from engaging with one) and I would really like to make an effort to get close to him as he is my first-cousin and would hate for me to happen what happened to my other first-cousins. So, how can I get close to him without making him feel unconfortable?

Sipex
2011-01-10, 03:44 PM
I'm a bit iffy on Aspergers as, many have said, it's hard to truly diagnose. I know I don't have it (I'm smart and a bit obsessive about games but I understand facial and emotional cues just fine and understand the reason for social rules as well).

That said, I have a strong suspicion that my cousin may have aspergers, he's only 10 but he exhibits a lot of the symptoms, the biggest one being unable to get social queues.

He often gets into trouble for the same sort of social things because he doesn't understand what he's doing is wrong and he has a hard time detecting humour and sarcasm. He's very good at formal rules though, things like "Don't hit your sister" which are concrete and easy to define.

Also, his obsession is video games, namely mario, he talks about them all the time (I'm a gamer and love my gaming chat but this is seriously all that comes out of his mouth).

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-10, 03:55 PM
Why not use Sheldon Cooper (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sheldon_Cooper) as a yardstick for Aspies? :smalltongue:

Sipex
2011-01-10, 03:57 PM
Exactly! Sheldon is what I think of when I think 'Aspergers'. While he's smart and such the biggest tip off is his inability to tell if he's insulting someone and inability to understand sarcasm.

Otherwise he's just another incredibly smart geeky guy.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-10, 04:00 PM
Exactly! Sheldon is what I think of when I think 'Aspergers'. While he's smart and such the biggest tip off is his inability to tell if he's insulting someone and inability to understand sarcasm.

Otherwise he's just another incredibly smart geeky guy.

But Sheldon is different I think.
His problems come not from being socially awkward but because his superiority complex is so great he doesn't even considers humans on his level.

He is the posterchild of insanity and superiority complex, not Aspergers, he does fit the symptons though.

Ohmyani
2011-01-10, 05:14 PM
Addressing the defintion issue, I'd just call it a syndrome or condition. It's definitely not a disease though, because it is most definitely not contagious. A disease is something temporary as well, with Aspergers isn't.

I personally have been offically diagnosed with Aspie's by a psychologist when my school said that I might have it, back in grade 6. I'm lucky that I've known about it a long time, and would never want to live without it. It's helped me a lot more than it's hindered me. :smallsmile:

Now, about the intelligence thing... let's say you had two people, one an average Aspie, and one who's just an average, everyday person. You don't know who is who. If you gave each person the same test that covers varied subjects, the Aspie would have a higher general score than the other, normal person.

Of course, you could just talk with each of them too. It's likely that if you talk with the Aspie about something they are interested in, you'd go, 'Wow, this guy is smart.'

Two things for discussion here:
1) I've heard that there are diets that Aspies can have that reduces their symptoms. Would any of you want to do that? Personally, I wouldn't. I like me the way I am!
2)I've found the best way to be comfortable and enjoy yourself in social situations is to just relax and stop second guessing yourself! Just stop worrying, and be happy and carefree. I've yet to find a surefire way to just switch mindsets, but I'm a lot funnier and enjoy myself more when I'm just really happy and relaxed :D

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oh, and everyone is welcome to post in here if they want. No segregation here :smallbiggrin:

snoopy13a
2011-01-10, 11:21 PM
I'm a bit iffy on Aspergers as, many have said, it's hard to truly diagnose. I know I don't have it (I'm smart and a bit obsessive about games but I understand facial and emotional cues just fine and understand the reason for social rules as well).

I don't think too many people doubt the existence of Asperger's. However, as it is a spectrum disorder, reasonable experts can differ on whether or not a certain individual has the condition. Placing someone's unique personality on a wide spectrum isn't necessarily easy.

Apparently, Asperger found that children that he later diagnosed with the condition had less empathy than other children. Is the "less empathy" trait common in older people with Asperger's or was it found in Dr. Asperger's observations for another reason such as children with the condition having a younger social age and developing empathy later on?

ForzaFiori
2011-01-10, 11:57 PM
1) I've heard that there are diets that Aspies can have that reduces their symptoms. Would any of you want to do that? Personally, I wouldn't. I like me the way I am!

My sister has Aspergers. I've always heard it described as a cross between ADD and Autism, and from what I've seen from my sister it's a fairly accurate assessment.

I gotta say, even though most people with Aspergers are ok with who they are, It can be difficult having to be around Aspies sometimes if you don't have it. Me and my sister get into it all the time, way more than me and anyone else do, and part of it is probably from the communications problems, lack of social skills (she's 24, and acts with less maturity than me, and I'm 19) and (at least in my sisters case) a lack of awareness of the world around them.

Not that I am trying to put down Aspies. I have my own conditions, including depression and several other borderline conditions. But if there was a way for me to lessen the symptoms, I would in an instant.

Just my 2CP.

Temotei
2011-01-11, 12:50 AM
My younger brother has autism--not Asperger (Does it bother anyone that Asperger is considered misspelled on this forum?) syndrome, but autism. He's fourteen now and in seventh grade. I'm not going to label him as high-, low-, or mid-functioning, because I despise that kind of thing; I think the key to talking about autism, Asperger's, and everything in between is talking about people who have said states of being, rather than talking about the "states of being people." In short, making the person the subject of the sentence is better, in my opinion, than making the subject a person's state of mind.

That said, when speaking generally about Asperger's syndrome, autism, and the like, there is no one person to speak of. I just like to remind people that a child with autism is still a human child--not a subject of science, i.e. "that autistic child."

Also, least favorite word time: retard/retarded, when describing a person or situation. It just shouldn't be acceptable to anyone. A few of my friends still use the word occasionally, but most of them have stopped. Whether that's out of respect for me or because of their own personal maturation is a mystery, but I appreciate those words' disuse. Any thoughts on this matter?

Oh, and missed this:
I've heard that there are diets that Aspies can have that reduces their symptoms. Would any of you want to do that? Personally, I wouldn't. I like me the way I am!

My brother is on a gluten-free diet. It's helped immensely with his learning ability, language use, and general mood.

Also, he's allergic to almost everything (I'm serious. Name any food; it's likely that he's allergic to it.). Allergic reactions, I've seen, haven't been merely physical, but mental and emotionally-affecting, as well. If he eats corn, for example, he'll be very irritable for two or three days, and will have trouble with following rules both in school and at home, and with finding words to express what he's feeling, the last of which he has trouble with already.

Serpentine
2011-01-11, 01:00 AM
Also, least favorite word time: retard/retarded, when describing a person or situation. It just shouldn't be acceptable to anyone. A few of my friends still use the word occasionally, but most of them have stopped. Whether that's out of respect for me or because of their own personal maturation is a mystery, but I appreciate those words' disuse. Any thoughts on this matter?I can see why its misuse or colloquial use can be distasteful, but it is a valid medical term, as well as spastic, and they are both extremely descriptive both technically and colloquially.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-11, 01:06 AM
I can see why its misuse or colloquial use can be distasteful, but it is a valid medical term, as well as spastic, and they are both extremely descriptive both technically and colloquially.

I agree. It's using it to refer to someone as an insult that's the problem. You just don't go around saying people are retarded. It's not polite. [/Understatement]

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-11, 01:10 AM
Also, least favorite word time: retard/retarded, when describing a person or situation. It just shouldn't be acceptable to anyone. A few of my friends still use the word occasionally, but most of them have stopped. Whether that's out of respect for me or because of their own personal maturation is a mystery, but I appreciate those words' disuse. Any thoughts on this matter?

In real life I've never heard this being said (I only have known one person with Asperger's and I found out after he changed schools because of familiar financial trouble), however it would annoy me, as 1 they have normal and sometimes above cognitive abilities, they only lack social abilities and 2, name-calling a person with a condition because of it is not polite.

What also annoys me is the use of autist as an insult and the implication that autist are people who talk to themselves, I find the transmutation of a condition to an insult more annoying than name calling since it creates a stereotype.

snoopy13a
2011-01-11, 01:12 AM

Ironically, it used to be the progressive non-offensive term but people began using it as an insult so it is generally no longer acceptable.

Although, "retard" can still be defined as to slow down which was the original use of the word. For example, using brakes retards the speed of your car.

horngeek
2011-01-11, 01:49 AM
First, High-Functioning Asperger's, checking in. :smalltongue:

Second, Sheldon: yeah, he's an Aspie. :smalltongue:

Also, other Asperger's famous people: Leonard Nimroy, Michelangelo, Newton, Beethoven... the list goes on.

Finally! No, it is not a disease. Disease means something you cure, or has ONLY negative aspects. No, Asperger's is not one of those.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-11, 01:12 PM
First, High-Functioning Asperger's, checking in. :smalltongue:

Second, Sheldon: yeah, he's an Aspie. :smalltongue:

Also, other Asperger's famous people: Leonard Nimroy, Michelangelo, Newton, Beethoven... the list goes on.

Finally! No, it is not a disease. Disease means something you cure, or has ONLY negative aspects. No, Asperger's is not one of those.

really now? i didn't know that

horngeek
2011-01-11, 03:00 PM
I'm sure about Leonard, I think he's been diagnosed.

Not entirely sure about the others, but the showed signs. Beethoven, for instance, was able to imagine what the notes would sound like in his head (which helped a lot when he went deaf).

Castaras
2011-01-11, 03:02 PM
Hi, I have High functioning Aspergers. Mental age varies between late 20s and early teens, depending on the situation. Was diagnosed when I was... 2 years old, I think. Very mild, but enough that I had help from an early age. Never had medication to help it, was all through teaching coping strategies, and learning how to deal with people. :smallsmile:

(Does it bother anyone that Asperger is considered misspelled on this forum?)

Well... that's because Asperger is wrong. Asperger's Syndrome is the technical term, so it's shortened to Aspergers. Asperger was the guy who wrote and described Aspergers.

Tengu_temp
2011-01-11, 03:07 PM
To everyone:
I'd just like to point out that due to the popularity of self-diagnosing Asperger syndrome on the internet (and misdiagnosing, in the vast majority of cases), people who actually have Asperger syndrome are often not treated seriously. So don't say that someone, be it yourselves or someone else, has Asperger syndrome unless they've been diagnosed with it by a doctor.

horngeek
2011-01-11, 03:10 PM
And, yes, been diagnosed.

In Year 1 (which is the second year, for those of you who don't count Kindergarten as a yeah). My teacher had had an Aspie before then, so she knew something was up.

grimbold
It is a form of autism. Running rampant through both sides of my family, my brother, mom, and dad all have it. I am about as close to having Aspergers as you can get without being diagnosed, can I post in this thread?

i too am borderline on having aspergers/autistic
example; i wanted to be in astrophysics since i was 8
i used to be obsessed with chess (now im slightly less obsessed)
now i play guitar 1-6 hours a day, every day, always, without it i go a bit more mad than usual

Mythestopheles
Ooh, cool, a thread for us! I just recently found out that Aspergers both exists and is an effective description of me (the High functioning variety). So yeah, I've kinda spent a lot of my life being the loner in the room (for a somewhat related reason). I like my quirks however, and it seems to works for me.

So yeah, checking in. *swipes card*

pendell
2011-01-11, 03:20 PM
Aspergers is a subset of autism that hinders social skills. We have trouble reading faces and emotions, don't always understand social rules and etiquette, and have major problems with eye contact. Another odd thing is that our minds are changed a bit; an Aspies brain works very well in logical situations, and we tend to lend ourselves well to the fields of science, mathematics, and electronics.

Aspies also have extremely good vocabularies, are smarter than the norm for their age, are often clumsy, and have some object or topic that is their 'obsession'. Mine is video games and computers; I know a LOT about the industry and games in general, and can become stressed out if I go too long without playing on my xbox or using my laptop.

Most Aspies are loners of some sort, but it usually isn't by choice, just that they have trouble making friends.

A very limited definition of our symptoms are our social age; a normal Aspie is said to have a social age 5 years behind their actual age, whereas, I have only 3 behind, because I'm a high-functioning Autistic. It's basically saying where your social skills are.

Long definition, but it's still shorter than the wiki article. :smallwink:

EDIT: Another thing is that Aspies just don't see the point to a lot of social rules, and choose to not follow them, which can be seen as rude to some.

And finally, Aspies often go into and excel in careers that have to do with their obsession. It's even been said that Einstein had Aspergers! :smallbiggrin:

Interesting. This describes me exactly, but I have not been diagnosed with Aspergers despite many adventures in psychology.

This test (http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/) gives me a score of 26/50, not high enough to be in Asperger's territory (that's 32 and above) but higher than anything else on the chart!

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Tengu_temp
2011-01-11, 03:32 PM
Ooh, cool, a thread for us! I just recently found out that Aspergers both exists and is an effective description of me (the High functioning variety). So yeah, I've kinda spent a lot of my life being the loner in the room (for a somewhat related reason). I like my quirks however, and it seems to works for me.

You see, reading about Asperger syndrome on the internet or somewhere and saying "hey, I'm a quirky loner so this describes me pretty well" is this kind of self-diagnosis that you really shouldn't do, because it hurts people who actually have Asperger's and their credibility. If you suspect you might have it, consult a doctor to confirm or deny it.

MoonCat
2011-01-11, 03:38 PM
In real life I've never heard this being said (I only have known one person with Asperger's and I found out after he changed schools because of familiar financial trouble), however it would annoy me, as 1 they have normal and sometimes above cognitive abilities, they only lack social abilities and 2, name-calling a person with a condition because of it is not polite.

What also annoys me is the use of autist as an insult and the implication that autist are people who talk to themselves, I find the transmutation of a condition to an insult more annoying than name calling since it creates a stereotype.

That one Aspie I was talking about in the Depression Thread? He was being regularly called retard and being imitated (he talked differently) at that school I mentioned

Prime32
2011-01-11, 03:57 PM
You see, reading about Asperger syndrome on the internet or somewhere and saying "hey, I'm a quirky loner so this describes me pretty well" is this kind of self-diagnosis that you really shouldn't do, because it hurts people who actually have Asperger's and their credibility. If you suspect you might have it, consult a doctor to confirm or deny it.Yeah, there's major symptom overlap between "Asperger's Syndrome" and "geek".

I was suspected of AS myself as a child, but the diagnosis turned out negative.

CrimsonAngel
2011-01-11, 04:04 PM
I once knew an Autistic kid... we read stories together and pretended we were characters in them. I've been meaning to call him, his mom was my History teacher in 5th grade so I should have her number somewhere.

Ceric
2011-01-11, 04:33 PM
Please don't say such things. Reading about Asperger syndrome on the internet or somewhere and saying "hey, I'm a quirky loner, this describes me pretty well" is this kind of self-diagnosis that you really shouldn't do, because it hurts people who actually have Asperger's. If you suspect you might have it, consult a doctor to confirm or deny it.

This. Only I'm not sure how to find a doctor :/ Or I'm just in denial (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Confirmation_bias). My mom took me to a psychiatrist recently, who basically asked me to talk about myself. With such a broad question, I clammed up immediately and couldn't think of anything, or at least anything that didn't sound fake, like I was just going to go through a list of Asperger's traits and say I had all of them. But he did point out a few reasons why he didn't think I had Asperger's:
1) I was holding pretty good eye contact with him (if I'm only talking to one person, I've figured out how to just stare at their face the entire time and it seems to pass; doesn't work with multiple people because I don't know who to look at, and I know eye contact is still one of my problems because I don't look at people I'm unfamiliar with (and thus also have a really hard time remembering the faces of strangers).)
2) I had noticed another friend in my group at school who was socially awkward and somewhat ignored by other people, social cues I apparently shouldn't have been able to notice if I had true Asperger's (I was using this to point out that I sometimes noticed people but had no idea how to help them or simply what to do in social situations).
3) Asperger's is a disorder (his words) and therefore has negative connotations; if I'm not affected negatively I don't have Asperger's disorder. :smallconfused:
The psychiatrist did say I was socially immature, though.

I know that whether or not I have Asperger's, I have a lot of the traits (as listed in this book (http://www.tonyattwood.com.au/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=64:the-complete-guide-to-aspergers-syndrome&catid=37:books-by-tony-attwood&Itemid=178), which seems to be pretty comprehensive). Lack of social skills, preference for solitude (and becoming socially exhausted when around too many people for too long), literal-minded, sense of ideals and justice over individuals (and confusion when individuals get mad), memorization, tactile sensitivity (if you touch my shoulder, I have to touch the other one to even it out. Apparently when I was young and ran into a wall, I'd have to hit the wall on my other side as well. Luckily I don't run into walls anymore. Also, my least favorite foods are all because of texture, not taste), stiffen up when hugged, being at a complete loss with regard to human emotions. I'm glad of that, because having the traits written out for me helps me in dealing with them, knowing which social skills I need to improve on and that I should stop thinking everyone else is just kind of dumb for not understanding simple math concepts like calculus (sorry, everyone I thought that of :smallsigh:).

Also, I type too much and use too many parentheses.

On another subject... I have heard that anyone who thinks they might have Asperger's basically doesn't have it because that would mean they pay attention to their own social cues and shortcomings, something that Aspies wouldn't be able to do. Opinions? :smallconfused:

horngeek
2011-01-11, 04:39 PM
3) Asperger's is a disorder (his words) and therefore has negative connotations; if I'm not affected negatively I don't have Asperger's disorder. :smallconfused:

:smallmad:

Not at you, at him.

Sipex
2011-01-11, 04:43 PM
Again, it's really hard to diagnose. I would say you (Ceric) sound too desperate to be diagnosed with aspergers though (possibly so you have an excuse to why you act the way you do) which would be another notch against it.

Really though, what does it matter? Unless you're planning on collecting disability having a trained professional say 'yay' or 'nay' will do nothing for your lifestyle.

Mythestopheles
2011-01-11, 04:50 PM
You see, reading about Asperger syndrome on the internet or somewhere and saying "hey, I'm a quirky loner so this describes me pretty well" is this kind of self-diagnosis that you really shouldn't do, because it hurts people who actually have Asperger's and their credibility. If you suspect you might have it, consult a doctor to confirm or deny it.

Perhaps you should get more information before assuming things. You may find it informative to know that I was assessed by a doctor and was indeed diagnosed as AS.

I apologize if I come off as rude, but I dislike it when people make assumptions (and judge people based off these assumptions) without knowledge of the specific situation.

Edit: I agree, despite getting a diagnosis, it really hasn't changed anything for me.

Ohmyani
2011-01-11, 05:02 PM
Nobody's brought it up, but Vaarsuvius seems like a good candidate for Aspergers as well. Extremely logical, socially withdrawn, can't tell the difference between genders, clueless with subtle social interactions, obsessive personality... the list goes on!

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-11, 05:17 PM
http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/
You've got to love internet psych condition tests.
Apparently I've got Asperger's, Anti-Social personality Disorder, dyslexia and OCD.
In reality I've only been diagnosed with OCPD and I've been told I don't have any of the before mentioned.

Tengu_temp
2011-01-11, 05:24 PM
Perhaps you should get more information before assuming things. You may find it informative to know that I was assessed by a doctor and was indeed diagnosed as AS.

Well, alright then. I assumed this was not the case, since you said you only learned about Asperger's and its syndromes recently and that they describe you well, which doesn't sound like you went to the doctor about it. But since you did, sorry.

Private-Prinny
2011-01-11, 05:54 PM
Nobody's brought it up, but Vaarsuvius seems like a good candidate for Aspergers as well. Extremely logical, socially withdrawn, can't tell the difference between genders, clueless with subtle social interactions, obsessive personality... the list goes on!

Actually, I brought that up earlier, almost as soon as the Elan thing sprung up.

http://www.piepalace.ca/blog/asperger-test-aq-test/
You've got to love internet psych condition tests.

Yeah, you do. I got a 29 on that, and I was actually diagnosed years ago. I am now even more thankful for all those years of therapy.

Ohmyani
2011-01-11, 05:56 PM
Actually, I brought that up earlier, almost as soon as the Elan thing sprung up.

Oh, so you did, haha. We should see if there are any psychologists who've read the comic on the forum who could evaluate his character :smalltongue:

Ceric
2011-01-11, 05:59 PM
Again, it's really hard to diagnose. I would say you (Ceric) sound too desperate to be diagnosed with aspergers though (possibly so you have an excuse to why you act the way you do) which would be another notch against it.

Really though, what does it matter? Unless you're planning on collecting disability having a trained professional say 'yay' or 'nay' will do nothing for your lifestyle.

Fair enough :smallsmile: I have a bit of an obsession with self-analysis... I like to take personality tests and to keep a journal of what I do and think. I think it's because I figured out very early on that I'm pretty different than most of the people I meet, and wanted to know why. I'm analytical; I like to quantitize things. And actually, I don't mind the not-having-Asperger's anymore (after being sorely and unscientifically disappointed, I'll admit); the label itself doesn't matter to me, when having my traits spelled out for me is good enough.

And "having" Asperger's (for the few years before we went for a professional diagnosis) did help me, because before that my mom couldn't figure out why I acted like I did. I was obviously intelligent, why couldn't I do something that she found so natural? (Mom and I have starkly different personalities.) The usual teenager-parent disagreements are pretty bad already... that I'd been doing so since I was seven years old was worse. Then she found the term "Asperger's syndrome" and diagnosed me (and Dad) with it, and started to finally see that there's an actual rhyme and reason to why I do what I do. :smallcool:

...Yeah, I don't like how she goes around diagnosing everyone with mild cases of Asperger's and/or OCD, but there's not much I can do about it :/ At least she mostly does behind their backs, so it doesn't affect anyone anyways...

Haruki-kun
2011-01-11, 07:10 PM
And "having" Asperger's (for the few years before we went for a professional diagnosis) did help me, because before that my mom couldn't figure out why I acted like I did. I was obviously intelligent, why couldn't I do something that she found so natural? (Mom and I have starkly different personalities.) The usual teenager-parent disagreements are pretty bad already... that I'd been doing so since I was seven years old was worse. Then she found the term "Asperger's syndrome" and diagnosed me (and Dad) with it, and started to finally see that there's an actual rhyme and reason to why I do what I do. :smallcool:

The author of one of the books I read on ADHD said a similar thing about it. I can't find the quote, but he basically said that people are always relieved just to hear it has a name. I suppose because it's the first time they tell you it's not your fault.

ForzaFiori
2011-01-11, 07:17 PM
The author of one of the books I read on ADHD said a similar thing about it. I can't find the quote, but he basically said that people are always relieved just to hear it has a name. I suppose because it's the first time they tell you it's not your fault.

Unfortunately, this also leads to Psych Student Syndrome or Med Student Syndrome, where you tend to find symptoms and self diagnose yourself with conditions and diseases that you've recently studied. I know that it happened to me like crazy when I last took psychology. Every new condition that popped up, I could find reasons to think that I have it.

The kicker? I'm one of the most tested kids in upstate SC, because my sister has severe ADD and Asperger's. I've been tested for almost everything in the world, and have very mild depression, and I show symptoms of OCD, though not enough to be diagnosed (like if you showed 5 symptoms, but needed 6 to be diagnosed.)

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-11, 08:02 PM
I have AS to a small extent, but it doesn't effect my life much.
I never really had any friends as a child, but I can function pretty normally now.

Temotei
2011-01-11, 08:08 PM
Well... that's because Asperger is wrong. Asperger's Syndrome is the technical term, so it's shortened to Aspergers. Asperger was the guy who wrote and described Aspergers.

Asperger syndrome is an official way of spelling and saying it (as is Asperger's syndrome). I've never seen it officially shortened to not include an apostrophe. Even if it was, that's counted as misspelled on this forum, as well.

Rawhide
2011-01-11, 09:19 PM
(Does it bother anyone that Asperger is considered misspelled on this forum?)

This was brought to my attention as a potential board issue. The forums do not spell check your posts in any way. If it is showing up as being incorrectly spelt, it is your computer's software that has decided that.

Temotei
2011-01-11, 10:00 PM
This was brought to my attention as a potential board issue. The forums do not spell check your posts in any way. If it is showing up as being incorrectly spelt, it is your computer's software that has decided that.

Interesting. I shall see about amending this error.

Serpentine
2011-01-12, 02:17 AM
3) Asperger's is a disorder (his words) and therefore has negative connotations; if I'm not affected negatively I don't have Asperger's disorder. :smallconfused:My GP mum would agree with him, at least in a general sense. She has said a few times... probably gonna misrepresent her because I can't remember her exact words, but something along the lines that if something isn't a problem for you, then it's not a problem. If something is having a negative impact on your life, you should see a doctor about it. If it isn't, then you don't have to.
Moreover, "has a negative impact on life" is actually part of the diagnosis for various psychological and physiological issues. If that's the case for Asperger's (not sure, haven't read too deeply into it), then your doctor may actually have been technically correct.

Ceric
2011-01-12, 03:47 AM

Ooh, yeah, that's how I felt when I heard it! :smallcool:

My GP mum would agree with him, at least in a general sense. She has said a few times... probably gonna misrepresent her because I can't remember her exact words, but something along the lines that if something isn't a problem for you, then it's not a problem. If something is having a negative impact on your life, you should see a doctor about it. If it isn't, then you don't have to.
Moreover, "has a negative impact on life" is actually part of the diagnosis for various psychological and physiological issues. If that's the case for Asperger's (not sure, haven't read too deeply into it), then your doctor may actually have been technically correct.

Yeah, I could see that... I'm not sure that it's the case for Asperger's, though, especially since there's already disagreement on whether to call it a syndrome, disorder, etc. (I just say Asperger's :smalltongue:)

horngeek
2011-01-12, 05:51 AM
My GP mum would agree with him, at least in a general sense. She has said a few times... probably gonna misrepresent her because I can't remember her exact words, but something along the lines that if something isn't a problem for you, then it's not a problem. If something is having a negative impact on your life, you should see a doctor about it. If it isn't, then you don't have to.

The problem is that unlike a lot of other conditions that are called 'disorders', Asperger's Syndrome has significant benefits to it as well. Stuff that Aspies are, generally, better at than people without it.

For example, one common part of Asperger's is an inability to see the big picture- as the common phrase goes, we can't see the wood for the trees.

We are, however, very, very good at seeing trees. An eye for fine detail is the flipside of a trait that is often viewed as negative.

I prefer to see it as a different set of strengths and weaknesses from non-Asperger's.

Serpentine
2011-01-12, 06:13 AM
I think that's why it's called a "syndrome" :smallwink: Not sure about "condition"... Seems like it should be neutral ("state of being"), but I'm unsure of its specific medical definition.

horngeek
2011-01-12, 06:15 AM
My point is, that's why it shouldn't be called a 'disorder'.

Serpentine
2011-01-12, 06:16 AM
Fair point. Although you could say something like it's a "disorder of social ability" to be more specific.

horngeek
2011-01-12, 06:20 AM
I don't even like calling it that. Yes, it inhibits social ability, but I dislike mentioning only the bad aspects of anything unless it truly only has negative aspects.

Haruki-kun
2011-01-12, 09:40 AM
I think that's why it's called a "syndrome" :smallwink: Not sure about "condition"... Seems like it should be neutral ("state of being"), but I'm unsure of its specific medical definition.

The issue is that Aspies have Aperger's in a world that predominantly doesn't. If it were the other way around, if more people had it than people who didn't, then not having it would be the "syndrome" or "disorder". Just something to think about. :smallwink:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-12, 10:18 AM
Originally Posted by Wikipedia http://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Syndrome/)
In medicine and psychology, a syndrome is the association of several clinically recognizable features, signs (observed by a physician), symptoms (reported by the patient), phenomena or characteristics that often occur together, so that the presence of one or more features alerts the physician to the possible presence of the others. In recent decades, the term has been used outside medicine to refer to a combination of phenomena seen in association.

Originally Posted by Wikipediahttp://www.giantitp.com/forums/images/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Disorder/)

Chaos, unpredictability and in the metaphysical sense, it is the opposite of law and order
Disease, an abnormal condition affecting the body of an organism

My knowledge of medicine also irks me that condition is inappropriate as it normally is synonymous to disease.

Asperger is a syndrome as it is a group of characteristics or phenomena that manifest upon an individual and that when identified hint the presence of the rest of them.

Sipex
2011-01-12, 10:41 AM
On the subject of 'putting a name to it' it's very true BUT it's something you can resolve on your own with the right mindset.

You just need to realise that there are many facets of your personality which you shouldn't need to change (because otherwise you become a completely new person and that should only be something you consciously decide to do). There will forever be some social norms which you will always have to mold yourself around (ie: Don't be a jerk) but beyond that you should be free to be the way you are.

Dallas-Dakota
2011-01-12, 12:03 PM
Elan has social skills, suaveness (in his own, weird way) with ladies, and is not very logical. How so?

Just saying, that I all have those(even the second one, apparently) and have been diagnosed with, first PDD-NOS and then Aspergers. So, yeah. ><

Castaras
2011-01-12, 12:27 PM

Not quite true... but I can see where he's coming from. It's more "Many people have Aspergers. A lot of Adults have undiagnosed Aspergers. If you're coping and having a normal life, then you don't need a diagnosis or help." So considering you're not affected negatively, then you don't need the diagnosis or extra help. :smallsmile:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 06:14 PM
Hey all, Aspie reporting in.

I'm high functioning through the help of friends and family over the past decade. Diagnosed at 5 years old, got speech therapy, and now I don't shut up. :smalltongue: My Parents wouldn't let me use the label as an excuse, citing " If you argue enough for your limitations, people let you keep them. "

I also have ADHD, but I'm on drugs to negate that. It does strike me as odd that I have one condition meaning I am super focused on one thing and just focused in general, and another which suggests I am not focused at all.

The worst experiences I've had have been with Psychologists... they tended to treat me like an idiot, to be honest, and I might be having a bad day or just fed up with the whole " Seeing a shrink " thing, and they'll write that I'm showing signs of being an aspie, rather than someone who's just non-cooperative.

Contrary to a few others I've seen here, I've got a good memory for people, and not contrary, my memory is photographic. I can recognize people from a good distance away by seeing their movements, and then as we get closer I can recognize their height, proportions, then finally face.

The main problem I have that rings bells in people's heads with me is that I look at things to intensely, whether it's them, something I'm doing, you know. Also, I'm super sensitive, not just emotionally but with regards to environment and movements, that sort of thing. All my senses seem to be above average, which gets annoying. I also overanalyse in certain situations, a thing that gets me into trouble with the person I'm overanalysing because I normally get a different insight into something that they're hiding.

My main interest is DnD, secondary interests: Warhammer, Magic the Gathering, Computers.

One thing I've noticed is that all aspies have a strong kinship with other aspies. Also, I've noticed I tend to hang on to the friends that I have (few as they are) for a long time, and am a very demanding friend. Luckily I have one Aspie friend who's special interest is DnD as well (YAY) so my "normal" friends have a break sometimes. :smallbiggrin:

On the subject of 'putting a name to it' it's very true BUT it's something you can resolve on your own with the right mindset.

You just need to realise that there are many facets of your personality which you shouldn't need to change (because otherwise you become a completely new person and that should only be something you consciously decide to do). There will forever be some social norms which you will always have to mold yourself around (ie: Don't be a jerk) but beyond that you should be free to be the way you are.

This. +100.

horngeek
2011-01-12, 06:19 PM
Cadian, I'm pretty sure we had the same support person. :smalltongue:

Actually, I'm pretty sure our school having to deal with me both helped them deal with other Aspies later AND helped them pick a couple who hadn't been diagnosed.

I feel helpful! :smallbiggrin:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 06:28 PM
Cadian, I'm pretty sure we had the same support person. :smalltongue:

Actually, I'm pretty sure our school having to deal with me both helped them deal with other Aspies later AND helped them pick a couple who hadn't been diagnosed.

I feel helpful! :smallbiggrin:

Heh heh heh. I got on her bad side because I was a brat who didn't want to be different... Anyway, I also got help out of school.

Yep. If it weren't for you, Horngeek, I'd never have found these forums! YOU ARE 'ELPFUL!

horngeek
2011-01-12, 06:39 PM
Eh. I'd had since Year 1 to get used to it. When were you diagnosed?

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 06:44 PM
5, after an early kindergarten when disastrously. Went on to another school after that.

Horngeek, what's your interest at the moment?

Kuma Da
2011-01-12, 06:51 PM
Huh. This was actually a pretty cool read.

Thank you, thread. I think I knew maybe only a quarter of this stuff before I started reading this. :smallsmile:

Temotei
2011-01-12, 06:57 PM
I would personally recommend from my trials and life experience, to never seek out the Autistic/Aspergers label for any child, unless it will provide the maximized happiness for the child in the long-term, or if the child is in danger to himself or others, being "Weird", "Awkward" or a "Genius-before his time" is no reason to seek some form of psychological label to have the parent's impressions/fears/anxiety's to be "realized", some parents may have a hard time relating to their child if the personalities are extremely different, or they may mis-interpret/ mis-represent their child's actions due to the child being extremely different in levels of intelligence, interest, or hobbies as his/her peers.

It's not seeking a label for the child, but finding out why exactly the child is acting differently, in most cases. If the child has different interests and hobbies than their peers, there's no reason to slap a label on them. However, if the child is constantly separated from peers, deals with issues in seemingly nonsensical ways, and has an extremely different behavior pattern, parents may be worried. Finding out why these things are happening with the child can be a way of deciding what to do, if anything.

...The school will most likely set up weekly mandatory "sessions" for your children to suffer through, to give reports of their social life, and then be explained why their friends or others act normal, while the child seemingly does not. In one session during Grade 7/Grade 8 I was actually asked: "Do you understand/know why your friends may want or are getting girlfriends?"

The School would most likely treat your child very differently, such as possible grade deductions, or reports of bullying will be seen as a delusion or exaggeration of normative social events that occurred within your child's time/life at school, and then they would be counseled some more, being told that "it's horrible what your going through, but let's get to the root of the actual problem, YOU and how you perceive the world."

That shouldn't happen. I think your case is a definite example of a terrible program in terms of aiding children and teens who happen to have autism, Asperger syndrome, or whatever. That's that school's fault more than anything, methinks.

Unfortunately, many schools have the same problem--awful programs or training. Luckily, my brother is a seventh grader now, and he has excellent teachers with plenty of training and experience. Elementary school was pretty bad for him. :smallannoyed:

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 07:06 PM
(Much too long to leave in.)

I think that the very unconventional, but still very unfortunate experience you had growing up, has kind of skewed your view of Aspergers. I've never dealt with people talking down to me, people acting like I know nothing, unsupportive parents... I was diagnosed with Aspergers at 12 as well and it's done nothing but help me out. I had always been an awkward kid, and I always felt like I was just being stupid, that it was all my fault. Once I was diagnosed, and then later fully realized what that meant, I stopped feeling guilty about what wasn't my fault, and started working to make it better. If I had never known, I probably wouldn't be at where I am today.

Plus, it's not like Aspergers is some trendy condition that was just discovered recently or anything. Aspergers has been around since the late 40's; it's only recently that people learned what to look for to diagnose someone.

And it's not very fair to say that everyone will start pitying you and embarassing you just because you are diagnosed. For most of the people here, being diagnosed was a relief; we all finally knew what was different about us, and what we could do to make it better.

I think your experience with growing up with Aspergers has made you reject it, because of what you blame it for doing to you. But you can't blame what you have. It was there from the beginning, even if it did only start to affect your life later. It was the closeminded people and the 'outreach' policies that your school had that caused all of that, not your diagnosis.

Dubious Pie
2011-01-12, 08:11 PM
I am able to deal socially with my friends/family, but too many strangers that I have to interact with and I want to curl up into the fetal position. I often get called a pedantic jerk because I have a low tolerance for ignorance or stupidity.

horngeek
2011-01-12, 08:22 PM
5, after an early kindergarten when disastrously. Went on to another school after that.

Horngeek, what's your interest at the moment?

Anime, rpgs.

The BleachitP Reborn is currently going all right. I'm pretty proud of that FFRP, given I'm pretty much responsible for the first BleachitP and the whole AnimeitP FFRPs in GitP. :smallbiggrin:

Haruki-kun
2011-01-12, 08:29 PM
Anime, rpgs.

The BleachitP Reborn is currently going all right. I'm pretty proud of that FFRP, given I'm pretty much responsible for the first BleachitP and the whole AnimeitP FFRPs in GitP. :smallbiggrin:

Too bad Project Tokyo didn't make it. :smallfrown:

horngeek
2011-01-12, 08:32 PM
Yeah... it can be difficult to get stuff like that off the ground, yeah.

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 08:40 PM
Am I the only one here who's interest has always been the same?

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 08:46 PM
I am able to deal socially with my friends/family, but too many strangers that I have to interact with and I want to curl up into the fetal position. I often get called a pedantic jerk because I have a low tolerance for ignorance or stupidity.

You too! I tend to get in trouble for wanting to be let in on at least some of the plans that I'm going to be involved in...

Me: So where are we going?
Mum: Out.
Me: Where to?
Mum: I don't know.
Me: ?? Umm, so what do I bring? Are we doing this?

It's my fault, I know. :smallfrown:

Anime, rpgs.

:smallsmile: Good for you! Make me a GitS one please :smallbiggrin:

Not so much Warhammer?

Am I the only one here who's interest has always been the same?

What's that?

horngeek
2011-01-12, 09:01 PM
You too! I tend to get in trouble for wanting to be let in on at least some of the plans that I'm going to be involved in...

It's my fault, I know. :smallfrown:

AAAAARGH! I am SO ANNOYED by this.

Fortunately, it's actually improved since I've turned 18.

But I still get stuff like this:

Mum: So, now we're going out!
Me: See ya!
Mum: :smallconfused: all of us.
Me: Wait, WHAT?

:smallsmile: Good for you! Make me a GitS one please :smallbiggrin:

Not so much Warhammer?

Don't get me wrong, I love the backstory, but... painting the models... ;_;

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-12, 09:08 PM
*wanders in*

My Grandpa had Aspergers. My mom THINKS I have it. But she's a hypochondriac.

*wanders out*

EDIT:

I do this:

all the time.

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 09:13 PM
What's that?

I mean, you guys are asking what their interests are right now. Do your interests and obsessions change? Because mine has always been video games/computers, and almost nothing else that could pull my attention away, except for reading.
Actually, now that I can actually play stuff that approaches a musical sound, I'm enjoying playing guitar too! :smallbiggrin:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 09:20 PM
AAAAARGH! I am SO ANNOYED by this.

Fortunately, it's actually improved since I've turned 18.

But I still get stuff like this:

Mum: So, now we're going out!
Me: See ya!
Mum: :smallconfused: all of us.
Me: Wait, WHAT?

Don't get me wrong, I love the backstory, but... painting the models... ;_;

OMG me too!

Haha let me paint for you, I'd love to help you with it.

*wanders in*

My Grandpa had Aspergers. My mom THINKS I have it. But she's a hypochondriac.

*wanders out*

EDIT:

I do this:
all the time.

Welcome to the club. T-shirts are $5, yo.

I mean, you guys are asking what their interests are right now. Do your interests and obsessions change? Because mine has always been video games/computers, and almost nothing else that could pull my attention away, except for reading.
Actually, now that I can actually play stuff that approaches a musical sound, I'm enjoying playing guitar too! :smallbiggrin:

Video games/Computers is pretty broad, you know. You haven't been playing the same game for ages, have you? Me for example, my interests are pretty much all the same. RpGs/Strategy games/Fantasy in some way... Haven't changed at all. I was building armies with lego when I was young, not houses.*

*Well, I built strongholds. They don't count, though. :smallbiggrin:

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 09:41 PM
Video games/Computers is pretty broad, you know. You haven't been playing the same game for ages, have you? Me for example, my interests are pretty much all the same. RpGs/Strategy games/Fantasy in some way... Haven't changed at all. I was building armies with lego when I was young, not houses.*

*Well, I built strongholds. They don't count, though. :smallbiggrin:

Well, mine has always been anything to do with playing video games, recently including watching people play video games on youtube! On everybody in my family all know I'm the resident computer geek :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-12, 09:43 PM

Still not sure I am part of this club... But OK.

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 09:46 PM
Still not sure I am part of this club... But OK.

Hey, everyone's welcome in the club!... and attendance is mandatory. :smallamused:
Now where's my damn money?

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 10:03 PM
Well, mine has always been anything to do with playing video games, recently including watching people play video games on youtube! On everybody in my family all know I'm the resident computer geek :smallbiggrin:

Speaking of which, do you like Husky vs the Internet? I had a look at some of them and he does a good, fun, cast.

@AtlanteanTroll: Hmm. It shouldn't matter. If you've got the same things going on as us, we can all benefit from your input and you can benefit from ours. :smallsmile:

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 10:09 PM
Speaking of which, do you like Husky vs the Internet? I had a look at some of them and he does a good, fun, cast.

When I first got SC2, I was really into watching casts, and always enjoyed his casts. Does he do more than just starcraft?

Oh, and I used to compete on Gold level on 1v1! LEGIT. That is, until I got bored and stopped playing. xD

P.S.: Oh, and his Banelings video is one of the best parodies I've ever heard, my God XD

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-12, 10:19 PM
@AtlanteanTroll: Hmm. It shouldn't matter. If you've got the same things going on as us, we can all benefit from your input and you can benefit from ours. :smallsmile:

Well if you put it that way... Alrighty then. *payes Ohmyani 12.50 for his shirt*

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 10:21 PM
Well if you put it that way... Alrighty then. *payes Ohmyani 12.50 for his shirt*

Awesome, I love taxes. :smallbiggrin:

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-12, 10:22 PM
Awesome, I love taxes. :smallbiggrin:
I have to pay you even more money now? :smalltongue:

Ohmyani
2011-01-12, 10:23 PM
I have to pay you even more money now? :smalltongue:

You already did. :smallbiggrin:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 10:37 PM
When I first got SC2, I was really into watching casts, and always enjoyed his casts. Does he do more than just starcraft?

Oh, and I used to compete on Gold level on 1v1! LEGIT. That is, until I got bored and stopped playing. xD

P.S.: Oh, and his Banelings video is one of the best parodies I've ever heard, my God XD

Haha, not sure. I loved that bit where they got an awesome baneling hit on all these marines, after they sentry walled them in. Pure awesome!

Wow, that's awesome. SEE PEOPLE, AS is USEFUL! :smallbiggrin:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-13, 08:47 PM
Bump for great justice, because I am anxious to keep this one alive. :smallbiggrin:

Ohmyani
2011-01-13, 08:49 PM
Bump for great justice, because I am anxious to keep this one alive. :smallbiggrin:

I did that thing I do again. I look at a response, look at something else, then come back later expecting a response xD

What's AS?

Cadian 9th
2011-01-13, 08:52 PM
:smallbiggrin: did you see the baneling hit?

Asperger's Syndrome.

Ohmyani
2011-01-13, 09:02 PM
Haha ye, it was like SPLOOSH! Rine soup.

And ooohhhh xD

Cadian 9th
2011-01-13, 09:11 PM
So well coordinated as well, I loved seeing that.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-13, 09:25 PM

S/he knows his/her gender. I hope.

Ohmyani
2011-01-13, 10:23 PM
S/he knows his/her gender. I hope.

Yup! But I shouldn't reveal it to any people who haven't read it. :smallwink:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-13, 10:29 PM
Sigh, V, the Aspie who is famous for the quip: " As the size of the explosion increases, the number of social situations it cannot solve approach zero. "

:smallbiggrin:

MoonCat
2011-01-13, 11:01 PM
Sigh, V, the Aspie who is famous for the quip: " As the size of the explosion increases, the number of social situations it cannot solve approach zero. "

That is TRUE social skills. The ability to rearange the laws of physics before breakfast. :smallbiggrin:

Ohmyani
2011-01-14, 01:26 AM
And the laws of time for lunch. :smallbiggrin:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-14, 03:29 AM
That is TRUE social skills. The ability to rearange the laws of physics before breakfast. :smallbiggrin:

I loved that part where they met the
dragon queen and tarquin tells the guy to look up.

" Quite the stumper, isn't it?
" *snip* "
V: Unless the need is great, I will refrain from casting any more spells today, to give the laws of physics time to cry in the corner... "

And the laws of time for lunch. :smallbiggrin:

Indeed.

Does anyone else forget to eat? I mean, I forget to eat and sleep. Too focused on what I'm doing...

horngeek
2011-01-14, 03:46 AM
Huh? Lunch? What's that? :smalltongue:

Castaras
2011-01-14, 03:49 AM
Does anyone else forget to eat? I mean, I forget to eat and sleep. Too focused on what I'm doing...

Yes! Allll the time. :smallsigh: I'll be working on a picture or a game and will be "Oh, I should have lunch soon...", and then realise that 5 hours have passed since I said that. :smalleek: I'm better than I was before tho...

Lillith
2011-01-14, 05:31 AM
During my bachelor year I had to do a paper for graduation. Since it was a teaching bachelor and I had problems communicating with kids who had ASD (and I barely knew what it was) I decided to do it about how history teachers can adept historical assignments (which usually involves a lot of group work, communicating with other people etc.) for these kids.

While doing my research I found this particular article about 'autism'. I'm saying 'autism' cause it was clear the writer had no clue what he/she was talking about. I'd link it but it's in Dutch but if you guys still want me to link it I can. Anyways the article basically said that people with 'autism' were too... stupid, let's keep it polite, to finish high school. Citing their lack of 'skills'.

Now the reason I keep saying 'autism' is because the article made little to no difference between actual full blown autism and autistic disorders like Asperger and PDD-NOS. It was also talking about how people with Asperger would never make it through high school, even though they're intelligent, because they lacked the skills. It didn't mention that if you have Asperger you don't have 'all the symptoms'.

A couple of insults later the article finishes with that people with 'autism' will never be able to achieve a bachelor or finish university. Personally I found it a rather insulting article.

So now I'm wondering, how well do people with Asperger do in school/university? If things aren't going as well, what's the reason? Lack of planning? Problems in communication? Or is everything going perfect and you're about to get your bachelor/master/PhD?

smellie_hippie
2011-01-14, 07:07 AM
*clip* I feel like Asperger's is one of those over-diagnosed ADHD/ADD type deals where the definition of it is very fuzzy, and it is accordingly hard (or easy, looking at it the other way) to diagnose. *clip*

Jumping into the middle of a conversation here, and no I have not read the entire thread. But I saw this point brought up twice on the first page and wanted to toss in my two pennies...

I am a therapist and work with children and their families. Diagnosing different psycholigical disorders is both an easy task but also requires a great deal of care and thought. I will drop ADHD or ADD on a kid without a second thought. It's a rubber stamp diagnosis and also very easy to see in many many children (hypractive, trouble sitting still, prefers running around outside as oppsoed to sitting at a school desk...) The other reason this diagnosis is used so often is because it is easy to grow out of. ADHD is a rubber stamp, as opposed to a tattoo. Maybe meds, maybe not, behavior modification and a little maturity... BAM! It's gone. Or at least there has been enough coping skills developed that it is not typically as bothersome.

Aspergers and Autism are different. Sure, I could list off the different criteria that need to be met... but this kind of diagnosis is a little trickier. I don't over use this one because I'm not certain how easy it is for someone to say "I used to be Autistic but now I'm not"...

I now return you to your regularly scheduled discussion...

*re-enters lurk*

Cadian 9th
2011-01-14, 06:25 PM
I kinda feel like magneto when I say this, but there's no need to force a "cure" on someone with Aspergers. You don't badger old people to act like young people, so don't try and make us change to be the same as you.

In uni, ask someone else in uni... Same as high-school, I'd imagine, except less interaction since you don't have to. I imagine you're less forced to "conform" as a uni attender, so you'll be free-er to engage in your desired activities rather than worrying about being in strife with teachers since you've spent nearly every lunch and recess break in the computer room/library/reading/rollin' the dice.

Personally, with regards to school, I'm pretty bright - I get good marks, can communicate well in a structured situation (which school is), and my Teachers speak highly of me. I've got awesome friends (one of whom is an aspie into DnD as well, so we talk a lot) that have their own quirks and we generally have a fun time.

However, I go to a selective school (you have to pass a test to get in) so the friends bit I can see as a problem for an Aspie in a normal school. Not challenged by the school activities, picked on and without friends the same as them, I can see it being an issue.

The single thing that gets in my way is being focused on my special interests, but that's everyone at my age. Heck, who hasn't found it easy to procastinate in high school when you have, for example, awesome Star craft 2 to play and it just came out. :smalltongue:

@Castaras and Horngeek, Goodie, so I'm not alone. :smallbiggrin:

...Again, my school is probably not a good example. My friends and I were playing DnD for weeks (Until I finished the campaign) in the playground, and weren't picked on for it, nor did anyone bat an eyelid. Sure, no miniatures, but hey.

Ialdabaoth
2011-01-14, 08:54 PM
{scrubbed}

horngeek
2011-01-14, 09:17 PM
{scrubbed the original, scrub the quote}

{scrubbed}

Ialdabaoth
2011-01-14, 09:45 PM

{scrubbed}

Cadian 9th
2011-01-14, 10:14 PM
Firstly, It's not a disability.

Secondly, how about we give everyone else Aspergers?

Thirdly, maybe we're happy being socially not the same?

Finally, there is no need to take a side. Make sure you are clear on that. As long as there are people who want to "cure" or "fix" humans with asperger's syndrome, there'll be groups that advocate for our abilities. There is little in the way of reason to try and cure us.

People with Asperger's are, normally, quiet, law-abiding members of society who complete their jobs well. The ones that rise to prominence do an exceptional job and work to benefit society as a whole.

I enjoy my life. I know some people with the condition do not, and struggle, but I know many who just know them for themselves.

Your implied current viewpoint is exactly what some people fear when it comes to modern labelling and "help". Really, we've managed through history without a "cure", why do we need it now?

Again, sorry if this comes across as aggressive. I'm not trying to be, please don't take it that way.

Ialdabaoth
2011-01-14, 10:23 PM
Your implied current viewpoint is exactly what some people fear when it comes to modern labelling and "help". Really, we've managed through history without a "cure", why do we need it now?

{scrubbed}

Cadian 9th
2011-01-15, 12:36 AM
I don't think it's that huge an issue, to be honest.

On another note, I have achieved my goal in SC1 of getting creep EVERYWHERE. The whole map, covered in creep, vs 7 CPUs.

Awesome. I feel,,, omnipotent. MY ZERG SKILLS!

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-15, 01:16 AM
Asperger is not a disease so there is no cure, it is a syndrome. There is however treatment to reduce the conditions which make the labelling possible. But it really is left to the one having it, and in fact, the treatment tries to reduce the negative aspects more than eliminate the labelling, it is in a sense, trying to improve the person and reduce their possible short-comings more than eliminate the syndrome since it also involves positive factors.

And no, the majority should not even be mentioned when talking of medicine and psychology. The decision of a need of a "cure" (which again should be referred as treatment) is upon psychologists/psychiatrists, and their assessment of a particular syndrome and it's severity and net negative impact. And even then, there will never be a need of a cure, there will always be the possibility of treatment. Everything else is treating a human more like a collection of symptoms and trying to "correct" them instead of seeing them as a complex individual being.

Saposhiente
2011-01-15, 01:34 AM

This is one of the problems with society as a whole. Xenophobia only stagnates society and prevents progress. If they don't want to be tolerant, then that is their problem, and they have no right to force it upon you. In a nonexistent situation where a 'cure' is discovered, it should be only be given to those who want it. Often, where it truly matters, a 'cure' would be so drastic that it would be as to killing the person and creating another with extraordinary similarity in appearance.

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-15, 03:14 AM
{scrubbed}

Like it or not, Asperger's impedes normal functioning, in this case, social awareness and doesn't make you significantly better in a way (it's not a dichotomy of social skills vs. logic). It's like missing a thumb. Sure, you can work around it, but for most people with it, life would be infinitely easier with it. So yes, there's a need to cure for it as long as it improves the lives of people with the syndrome.

Whether to use the cure (and I mean an actual cure if it existed, not a type of behavioural therapy that teaches one to mask its symptoms) or not is, of course, an individual's choice. But if it improves their life and they want to get it, it shouldn't be up to you to decide that even having a cure is immoral in the first place because it's forced on by the majority.

It's not. Most "normal" people couldn't care less if someone is an Aspie or not. If they see the person as a jerk (whether intentional or not), they simply won't interact with said person, but they won't impose a cure on anyone.

Castaras
2011-01-15, 04:49 AM

Like it or not, Asperger's impedes normal functioning, in this case, social awareness and doesn't make you significantly better in a way (it's not a dichotomy of social skills vs. logic). It's like missing a thumb. Sure, you can work around it, but for most people with it, life would be infinitely easier with it. So yes, there's a need to cure for it as long as it improves the lives of people with the syndrome.

Whether to use the cure (and I mean an actual cure if it existed, not a type of behavioural therapy that teaches one to mask its symptoms) or not is, of course, an individual's choice. But if it improves their life and they want to get it, it shouldn't be up to you to decide that even having a cure is immoral in the first place because it's forced on by the majority.

It's not. Most "normal" people couldn't care less if someone is an Aspie or not. If they see the person as a jerk (whether intentional or not), they simply won't interact with said person, but they won't impose a cure on anyone.

Bang, you hit the nail on the head there.

"Curing" Aspergers would be like trying to "Cure" someone's hot-headedness. And with both Aspergers and Hot-Headedness, the person affected may use coping strategies instead - for the latter you'd punch a pillow or scream or take up fighting; for the former you'd learn the social skills other people seem (to us) to be born with.

Secondly - Aspergers isn't all bad. It's just a different way of thinking. So a person with Aspergers may find that while they don't think well when it comes to people, they have a perfect way of thinking that applies to Maths, or Physics (the common ones).

CurlyKitGirl
2011-01-15, 03:08 PM
My younger brother has autism--not Asperger (Does it bother anyone that Asperger is considered misspelled on this forum?) syndrome, but autism. He's fourteen now and in seventh grade. I'm not going to label him as high-, low-, or mid-functioning, because I despise that kind of thing; I think the key to talking about autism, Asperger's, and everything in between is talking about people who have said states of being, rather than talking about the "states of being people." In short, making the person the subject of the sentence is better, in my opinion, than making the subject a person's state of mind.

That said, when speaking generally about Asperger's syndrome, autism, and the like, there is no one person to speak of. I just like to remind people that a child with autism is still a human child--not a subject of science, i.e. "that autistic child."

Oh, and missed this:

My brother is on a gluten-free diet. It's helped immensely with his learning ability, language use, and general mood.

Also, he's allergic to almost everything (I'm serious. Name any food; it's likely that he's allergic to it.). Allergic reactions, I've seen, haven't been merely physical, but mental and emotionally-affecting, as well. If he eats corn, for example, he'll be very irritable for two or three days, and will have trouble with following rules both in school and at home, and with finding words to express what he's feeling, the last of which he has trouble with already.

Yo!
Same thing here, Littlest Brother has been diagnosed with ASD anywhere between moderate and severe depending on the tests of the time. And to be honest, I couldn't care less.
Sometimes he's a brat, sometimes he's the most adorable thing on earth. And he's a seventeen-year-old. Basically, he my little brother and he is what he is, 'normal' or 'not'.
His social skills are appalling, as are his language skills; although since he and I started reading webcomics together (8-bit, OoTS, Darths & Droids and DM of the Rings (anyone else here see a trend? :smallbiggrin:)) his language skills and vocabulary have increased quite a lot. Not to mention he can actually read and read in front of people too. I mean, those comics aren't exactly easy on the inexperienced reader.
As far as social skills go . . . oi vey, let's just say that he can be racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic or xenophobic but he doesn't mean it.
If you know what I know.
He's prone to echolalia, and one of his recent obsession (the American South) isn't exactly a good thing.
But really, I think most of it's down to limited interaction with people outside of family. His previous Headmistress at his special needs school was a . . . well let's say she was an administrator who had zero experience with anyone who's mentally, socially, emotionally or physical unnormal, so we pulled him from the school after an . . . incident.
If mum had been able to think she'd have gotten a camera to prove the bruises were wrong. Okay, I'm ranting.
Point is, Littlest Brother's social skills are fine when I take him out and about. He has Bad Days and Good Days, and the Good and Normal Days are massively outweighing the Bad Days.
It helps that he's got a special diet the he knows, so he knows what foods he can and can't have. His manner improved so much after we cut out about 80% of what was on that list. They're mostly emotional reactions like your brother's, making him more prone to anger and so on.

And as far as That Word goes, yes, people whom I know, and my friends in particular know that if they say That Word as an insult I will not be happy. I've threatened mild violence on people who say That Word.

All the damned time. Doesn't help that I'm an insomniac either, so sometimes I can be up for fifty hours at a stretch, crash and sleep for most of a day and then be back on a reasonable-for-me schedule.
And food? Ha. Some days I forget to eat until three in the morning, and by then I can't be bothered with anything so I skip a meal and then don't wind up eating at all until a late dinner time the following day.

*snipping anecdote of idiot article writer*

So now I'm wondering, how well do people with Asperger do in school/university? If things aren't going as well, what's the reason? Lack of planning? Problems in communication? Or is everything going perfect and you're about to get your bachelor/master/PhD?

Apparently I've been sneakily tested for Aspies three times in my life and have always been borderline-to-mild. Only found out a few weeks ago.
Couldn't care less personally.
However, to answer your questions:
I'm at one of the best universities in the world, and the best in the entire country for my subject. I've been getting straight 2:1s in everything and to be honest, I've not really been trying that hard.
It's a combination of a lack of planning and probably overconfidence mixed with procrastination that's keeping me from consistently hitting the coveted First. I also have a tendency to get really distracted and yet oddly focussed on things I shouldn't be doing. I work best when multitasking.
Example: right now I've split screened my internets so I'm watching a video, typing this up, reading a translation of a set text while making notes my copy of the text in the original language, making specific notes for my essay and am making notes on a couple of articles I'm reading. And making a cup of tea. :smalltongue: And reading about five stories online at once.
To be perfectly honest, I'm almost exactly halfway through my BA in English Language and Literature, I know what I want to do after I get my degree. Life is going ridiculously well. hell, I even have social skills now!

Physics Friend has officially diagnosed Aspies (this means he had to go through an interview to assess this to see whether he warranted additional help) meaning he got a free laptop, scanner/printer, extra time in exams, a mentor, and some other stuff.
He actually had lessons in social skills and interactions from his parents when he was younger, he's always finding he's a little behind in his work (although I think personally it's because he's got a stupid-heavy workload), but he's doing fine too.

What I find though is that because I grew up with an autistic sibling is that I honestly don't notice if someone has a disability/disease of any kind. Any kind. Deafness, partial blindness, aspies, dyslexia, dyspraxia, ASD, epileptic, cystic fibrosis, ADD, ADHD, OCD, speech disorders, you name it. And yes, I've known people with at least one of all the following. Heck, I've worked with young children with several of them.
I see the person before anything else, and then I get asked something like, "Doesn't it bother you that I'm [blah]?"
"Oh. Never noticed."
"Seriously?!"
"Yes. You're just [name] no matter what, just as I'm Koorly."
I think in my almost-twenty years I've befriended more people with a disability/disease/whatever than the average person. Mum says it's precisely because I grew up with and looking after Littlest Brother that I see people with [whatever] as being normal because to me they are. This means that I, for want of a better word, attract people who aren't seen as 'normal' because I don't see the disability, making even more not notice if someone's not 'normal'.
It's a very nice cycle actually. On the whole my friends and whatnot who've not been 'normal' have been pretty nice people except the few who were jerks.

Anyone else have this kind of thing?

Serpentine
2011-01-15, 11:10 PM
I do, at least to a degree. I mean, I have trouble with more significant disabilities such as Down's Syndrome* or someone in a wheelchair, but I'm pretty sure that's just because I haven't been exposed to it enough.
But when it comes to more subtle things... I'm sorta "wait, that counts as a disability?" E.g. my friend with hydrocephalus. I was always curious why she seemed to talk strangely slowly - whether something had happened to her, or if she was just naturally a slow talker. Eventually I asked her about it, and she told me about her hydrocephalus. My response was "yay! Mystery solved!" and then we moved on. Much later, I was trying to think of a word for her state in the middle of a conversation, and she piped in with "retarded". It had to occur to me that "yeah... I guess you are, aren't you? Huh."
Same with my high school boyfriend, who was diagnosed with Asperger's. It always throws me when he tells me he's on a disability pension.

*One of my cousins has it fairly bad. I think I'd be fine with him, except that I only see him for maybe a week every year or two. That means that his mental ability might have changed dramatically in that time, and I have to readjust my expectations - I don't want to talk down to him, and I don't want to go over his head, either. He's about 14 with the mental ability of ~7, I think.

The Watchman
2011-01-15, 11:32 PM
Huh. This is... oddly appropriate.

Hello e'rbody. The Watchman here. I was only recently - meaning "only a few days ago" - diagnosed with moderate Asperger's. Then I wander back to GitPF and find this thread.

Kind of appropriate, I suppose. I originally left GitPF as a result of my Asperger's symptoms beginning to interfere with my academics. I had also changed internet browsers, which cleared my bookmarks bar, and thus I forgot about GitPF entirely until earlier today (apparently one of the symptoms of Asperger's is being unable to remember to do things without a list, and without my bookmarks list, I forgot to visit GitPF). I'm still unsure of which of my behaviors are a result of Asperger's, but... yeah.

Oddly enough, I've never had an issue making friends. I've actually been very popular anywhere I go, and make friends extremely easily. Interacting with other people comes easily and naturally to me, and I've never had anyone even attempt to bully me, despite my scrawny stature and geeky. According to my friends, bullying me would be like kicking a puppy.

Currently, I'm studying Computer Information Systems at my college. My Asperger's, rather than interfering with my social life, has interfered with my academics - it's the list problem again. Without a set list of things that I need to do, I don't get it done. The problem lies in getting me to remember to write the list.

So... hi. I guess I'll just go find a seat over there somewhere.

Temotei
2011-01-16, 01:26 AM
As far as social skills go . . . oi vey, let's just say that he can be racist, homophobic, anti-Semitic or xenophobic but he doesn't mean it.

My little brother's fourteen now. A few years ago, when I was playing Final Fantasy VII, he asked me, "Why is Barret brown?" I told him that it was because of his skin having special things in it that make it darker, and that those things come from his family and the sun. Then I asked him not to call anyone he sees brown ever again. More conversation ensued about calling people "black," "African-American," etc. It was nice.

He hasn't really had experience with people who are homosexual or anything yet, but I hope to help him out with that; films like Philadelphia can always aid me, too.

His previous Headmistress at his special needs school was a . . . well let's say she was an administrator who had zero experience with anyone who's mentally, socially, emotionally or physical unnormal, so we pulled him from the school after an . . . incident.
If mum had been able to think she'd have gotten a camera to prove the bruises were wrong.

We were considering bringing some people to court over the same issue, actually. I had an internal battle every day; it's tough to stay away from someone who hurts my brother. When I was seven, I beat a kid up for pushing my brother over and making him cry (he was two and a half at the time). I still have those protective instincts, but there are limits now. Anyway, it's really sad that we still have these problems in schools. :smallsigh:

Point is, Littlest Brother's social skills are fine when I take him out and about. He has Bad Days and Good Days, and the Good and Normal Days are massively outweighing the Bad Days.
It helps that he's got a special diet the he knows, so he knows what foods he can and can't have. His manner improved so much after we cut out about 80% of what was on that list. They're mostly emotional reactions like your brother's, making him more prone to anger and so on.

Fair enough. My brother comes to holiday parties with us, but we have him go into my grandma's apartment room instead of the main room with the rest of the family--not because we don't want him there, but because he'd get too stressed with everyone. Even family forgets that he needs his space. Everyone gets to see him and steal a few hugs and a kiss, but not at the same time. It works out.

My great uncle summarized my thoughts on my family in one sentence: "There's nothing more important than a brother." Of course, he meant "sibling," but my grandpa (his brother) had just died a few weeks ago, so the idea was hanging over him while speaking to me (my only sibling is my little brother, though I have an older stepbrother I consider to be a brother). Honestly, I'll defend and love my brother unconditionally.

My great aunt doesn't understand at all; she said at the last Christmas party, "Poor [brother]. That's just a shame." She was speaking of his autism, but all I heard was "shame" and a ringing in my ears; both my angel and my devil wanted to break something. Yeah, I'll defend my brother to no end, be it from enemy or ally, family or friend, bully or system. I'll do anything for him. <3 :smallsmile:

To answer an above question: I don't forget to eat; I just don't do it sometimes because I'm too busy with other things. I usually grab something instant instead of cooking.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-16, 02:21 AM
Huh. This is... oddly appropriate.

Hello e'rbody. The Watchman here. I was only recently - meaning "only a few days ago" - diagnosed with moderate Asperger's. Then I wander back to GitPF and find this thread.

Welcome, Watchman!

Kind of appropriate, I suppose. I originally left GitPF as a result of my Asperger's symptoms beginning to interfere with my academics. I had also changed internet browsers, which cleared my bookmarks bar, and thus I forgot about GitPF entirely until earlier today (apparently one of the symptoms of Asperger's is being unable to remember to do things without a list, and without my bookmarks list, I forgot to visit GitPF). I'm still unsure of which of my behaviors are a result of Asperger's, but... yeah.

Don't worry about it. You are you and you certainly haven't changed as a result of the diagnosis (That is, unless the doctor is a beautiful woman that you intend to marry). Looking for things you've done which are due to AS is like looking in the mirror and wondering which facial feature you got from which parent. It's interesting, but shouldn't make a difference. Just remember that you are yourself and AS is just a part of you.

Oddly enough, I've never had an issue making friends. I've actually been very popular anywhere I go, and make friends extremely easily. Interacting with other people comes easily and naturally to me, and I've never had anyone even attempt to bully me, despite my scrawny stature and geeky. According to my friends, bullying me would be like kicking a puppy.

Same here. Sounds like you had good help when you were young, and developed what I like to call good " Simulated Empathy ". Your Simempathy allows you to connect with other people, allowing you to build up confidence in situations, you know what I mean already, right?

Currently, I'm studying Computer Information Systems at my college. My Asperger's, rather than interfering with my social life, has interfered with my academics - it's the list problem again. Without a set list of things that I need to do, I don't get it done. The problem lies in getting me to remember to write the list.

So... hi. I guess I'll just go find a seat over there somewhere.

Good for you! Hope you do well,,,

And stick around, we can help you and you can help us. :smallsmile:

Terry576
2011-01-16, 02:25 AM
I find it amusing that I exhibit half the symptoms of Asperger's, and then choose to go and juggle four different conversations, with five different topics.

But that's just me, and it's probably my ADHD and I'm a high-functioning sociopath. And mildly obsessive-compulsive. But the OC usually only exhibits itself in my obsession with meticulous detail in conversations, things people say about me/around me, as to create a wonderful social response tree to cross-reference conversations. My real problem is that I'm extremely argumentative. Over nothing. My average conversation goes something like this:

*pointless topic*
"I hate *pointless topic*."
"Why?"
"...I just do."

However, this is about Aspergers. Not about how I brutally destroy people I hate and create contrived networks of mild untruths. I usually, on a regular basis, mistrust Aspergers, possibly because of my lack of interaction with said people. However, I mistrust it because it sounds sort of like just being awkward in social interaction, which I was for about 3 years. Then I learned how to weave untruths. Unfortunately, my intense mistrust of 'self-diagnosis' and 'what might be a long bipolar disorder' aggravates me. Self-diagnosising yourself with disorders is fun, I do it to create new personas all the time, mostly for drama/dramatic amusement. But Asperger's seems like just another anti-social disorder to me.

Anybody feel like explaining to me what it is/does? I plan on going to college for Psychology/Creative writing, and I'd like to know more about what Asperger's does to you.

Rappy
2011-01-16, 06:06 AM
Aspie here as well. I don't usually make a big deal of it, but I will admit that sometimes it's hard to explain to people why I will suddenly speak in an accent for no apparent reason, or that I will babble on wI have a psychiatrist, medication, and destressers on my side, and I do believe that I've gotten better about controlling my emotions than I was in my youth.

MeatShield#236
2011-01-16, 08:50 PM
I'm pretty sure I have Aspergers, or at least some symptoms of it. Both my brothers have it to some degree so it would surprise me in the least if I have it.

I haven't really had much trouble making friends or dealing with social problems. I naturally tend to get along with most people, but I do get some people angry just by talking. I do tend to get along with people older than me better than with my own age group, if that means anything. I'm also more of of a creative person, mostly in writing.

Regarding the condition itself, I think that it's just a different way of thinking; that people with the condition have their brains wired differently. I don't think it can be 'cured' because it's not a disease. I personally enjoy the different way of thinking, but others may not.

The Watchman
2011-01-16, 11:09 PM
Thanks for the welcome, Cadian.

Anybody feel like explaining to me what it is/does? I plan on going to college for Psychology/Creative writing, and I'd like to know more about what Asperger's does to you.

Like I said in my original post, I'm not entirely sure which of my behaviors are a result of my rather sheltered upbringing and which are direct results of Asperger's, but from what I've heard my doctors talking about, several of my behaviors are rather textbook symptoms.

For example, I have a rather loud, impressive voice. I don't mean to speak loudly, but my voice increases in volume subconsciously when I'm talking about something that I like, to the point where it seems like I'm almost shouting. I don't realize when it's happening unless someone points it out.

I also tend to focus on certain things to the point of obsession. In my case, it's games and stories. I love board games, and I love books. Either of them can have me talking non-stop for hours, completely oblivious to whether or not anyone is trying to change the subject. I'm just wrapped up in my own thoughts, and totally miss the usual social cues that the discussion has veered away from that topic.

I also tend to miss other social cues. Many times I'll be sitting in the dorm lobby chatting with my friends, then a group will walk out and I'll get all these people questioning me as to why I didn't respond to the girl flirting with me. I don't recognize social cues to let a certain line of conversation drop, or to not do a certain thing. They just don't come across. I have to learn by trial and error rather than the instinct that comes to most other people.

I am incredibly intelligent. That's not a boast, it's simple fact; I have a very powerful brain. It's also probably not part of Asperger's. I just mention it to explain that my brain doesn't function the same as others' do. As long as the information is presented in the right format, I can learn and understand pretty much anything. But I'm terrible at actually doing things. I have extreme difficulty remembering to do things as simple as checking my email, or completing projects on time, without a list of steps and time requirements (on forums like this, the "list" is the light-up icons for the different forum sections). If I have a list, I'm fine, but without it, the deadlines and projects won't even cross my mind.

I think that's about it, but there you go.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-17, 08:32 PM
Watchman, you're welcome.

Much of what he says is indicative of Aspergers, except for the talking louder bit. I find I'm pretty good at remembering things, for example, I literally never forget a face and can recognize anyone based on their appearance and movements - so that might be everyone with Aspergers or just me.

I prefer to say it's all me, to be honest. Seperating yourself into " Things caused by AS " and " Things that are me " just confuses you and gives you an excuse to act weirdly. Not to say that acting weird is a bad thing, but if you seperate too much it's easy to make an excuse for everything.

Lord Raziere
2011-01-17, 11:56 PM
I have been diagnosed with aspergers syndrome by doctors....

but I'm actually bad at math, its my worst class. and I'm actually dreaming of being a writer, my obsessions are sci-fi and fantasy.

that and I've been through a few years of therapy and its not so obvious or pervasive now, but I still like being alone, still like the quiet, still a little odd. I like it that way. I can be more social, I just don't choose to, but there are some things of social etiquette I still cannot understand.

I've improved a lot; I used to be a very angry person. Now I'm at peace.

Rawhide
2011-01-18, 12:29 AM
I just finished watching The Black Balloon (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0865297/), Australians can watch it here (http://www.abc.net.au/iview/#/view/700755) anytime during the next 12 days, others will just have to rent it from the local DVD rental store. It's an Australian movie about a family with an autistic boy (not aspergers).

This song (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BPIsh721z5c) from the end credits seemed relevent to the thread.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-18, 02:26 AM
Thanks Rawhide!

That is indeed an appropriate song. Ima go look up the lyrics and learn them...

It raises an interesting point regarding the contradictions of Aspergers - core among them is supreme focus in one situation, yet inadequacy in another. Logical, yet unable to follow certain "simple messages".

Prime32
2011-01-18, 06:56 AM
It raises an interesting point regarding the contradictions of Aspergers - core among them is supreme focus in one situation, yet inadequacy in another. Logical, yet unable to follow certain "simple messages".Thoughts on Data from Star Trek TNG as a pseudo-Aspy or autist? Take a look at the episode Data's Day (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Data%27s_Day_%28episode%29) in particular.

horngeek
2011-01-18, 06:59 AM
Incidentally, I think we should edit the title to include other parts of the Autism Spectrum in there.

Bit limiting to specify Asperger's when it's only one of a range of syndromes.

Castaras
2011-01-18, 11:22 AM
Thoughts on Data from Star Trek TNG as a pseudo-Aspy or autist? Take a look at the episode Data's Day (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Data%27s_Day_%28episode%29) in particular.

No, Data is a robot.

It's Barclay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Barclay) that's the resident autistic guy. :smallsmile:

Asta Kask
2011-01-18, 11:41 AM
Spock has also been called Autistic - although he is probably abnormally social when compared to a pure Vulcan.

I don't have Asperger's, but I live with someone who does... (http://specialchildren.about.com/od/booksonaspergersyndrome/gr/allcatshaveAS.htm) :smallbiggrin:

Prime32
2011-01-18, 01:12 PM
No, Data is a robot.However, another android built from the same design has far superior social skills. Which makes him evil, apparently. :smallconfused:

The reasons may differ, but what about his symptoms?

EDIT:

It's Barclay (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reginald_Barclay) that's the resident autistic guy. :smallsmile:That page mentions avoidant personality disorder, which seems like a better fit.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-18, 10:30 PM
Thoughts on Data from Star Trek TNG as a pseudo-Aspy or autist? Take a look at the episode Data's Day (http://memory-alpha.org/wiki/Data%27s_Day_%28episode%29) in particular.

Robot. :smallsmile:
High-functioning, yeah.

My Favorite Quote, for this week:

Detective Del Spooner: Human beings have dreams. Even dogs have dreams, but not you, you are just a machine. An imitation of life. Can a robot write a symphony? Can a robot turn a... canvas into a beautiful masterpiece?
Sonny: Can *you*?

Incidentally, I think we should edit the title to include other parts of the Autism Spectrum in there.

I suppose. I'd say Aspergers is different from straight autism, and radically different from ADD.

Spock has also been called Autistic - although he is probably abnormally social when compared to a pure Vulcan.

I don't have Asperger's, but I live with someone who does... (http://specialchildren.about.com/od/booksonaspergersyndrome/gr/allcatshaveAS.htm) :smallbiggrin:

Good book?

horngeek
2011-01-18, 10:34 PM
Good book?

Yes. My godparents got it for me for my...

Darn. I forget whether it was a bday pressie, or Christmas.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-19, 06:12 PM
Yes. My godparents got it for me for my...

Darn. I forget whether it was a bday pressie, or Christmas.

Where'd everyone go, or am I just disproportionately active?

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-19, 07:53 PM
However, another android built from the same design has far superior social skills. Which makes him evil, apparently. :smallconfused:

Textbook psychopathic (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Psychopathy) actually.

Starsign
2011-01-20, 09:45 PM
Well I didn't know about this thread for awhile...

I too have Aspergers, I found out I was diagnosed with it back in grade 6 where my attitude and actions there were more eccentric than usual. As I grew after that I started to alienate myself from others because I found my past actions in public school "immature" and "idiotic". I also had a poor memory and was really awful at handling guilt. I've also had the odd habit of trying to "balance" every action I take, like blink with one eye then the other or to cover one ear for whatever reason and then cover the other.

What was probably the worst was that I had difficulty understanding people at times. I couldn't tell if I hurt their feelings or agitate them in any way. This had gotten me in huge trouble and left me anti-social for much of high school, and a lack of friends too. The feeling of loneliness eventually brought me into depression and made me realize that what obsessed me the most was friends, but since I had trouble understanding them, I had trouble making them, and led me nowhere...

Well I guess that's my story, I could go on but it's a bit of a difficult thing to talk about... I've gotten over many issues I had before (I avoid using Aspergers as an excuse for anything), though some have still stayed. I guess I just wanted to say what I felt I needed to...

Serpentine
2011-01-20, 09:49 PM
I also had a poor memory and was really awful at handling guilt. I've also had the odd habit of trying to "balance" every action I take, like blink with one eye then the other or to cover one ear for whatever reason and then cover the other.Me too, with all of this. I've never been diagnosed with - nor seriously considered that I might have - Aspergers, but Dr. Mum used to think I might have a touch of OCD (the balancing thing, and counting everything and stuff like that), and years later it occurred to me that I might have had Tourettes as a kid (various tics and twitches and things).

Ohmyani
2011-01-21, 02:18 PM

I originally made the thread specifically for people with Aspergers, because I was interested in seeing how many people here have it. Apparently, a lot! There isn't a problem with a general discussion about Austism in here, but I'd like to keep the title how it is.

I've recently noticed something I do that I'd be interested in hearing your guys' takes on. For some reason, I keep having small-scale obsessions, where I find something really interesting and really get into it; but then in about 2 weeks I become bored and move on to something else eventually. I still have my constant of video games and computers, but I have weird little stages, like skateboarding, animation, cooking, and sometimes a certain video game I watch incessant videos of until I suddenly get bored. Does anyone else do that?

Don Julio Anejo
2011-01-21, 02:23 PM
I've recently noticed something I do that I'd be interested in hearing your guys' takes on. For some reason, I keep having small-scale obsessions, where I find something really interesting and really get into it; but then in about 2 weeks I become bored and move on to something else eventually. I still have my constant of video games and computers, but I have weird little stages, like skateboarding, animation, cooking, and sometimes a certain video game I watch incessant videos of until I suddenly get bored. Does anyone else do that?
It's called normal human behaviour :tongue:

John Cribati
2011-01-21, 02:35 PM
Hmm... I do not have Aspergers, but I'm in the process of writing a story, and think it would be good exercise to write an important-ish character with some sort of mental affliction (not sure if that's the PC term for it, forgive me if it isn't), and right now, I've got it down to Autism and Asperger's (I guess I love the letter A). I've done the basic amount of research on both of these, but as I don't know anyone with either, I fear that my portrayal will be less than accurate, and possibly even insulting. So Let's Play: How Would You React?

You know how to do something, like Gymnastics, boxing, what have you. Someone wants to learn this skill from you.

You feel uncomfortable around him, but you know he means no harm, and he gives you adequate space.

What qualifies as "adequate" space?
Eventually, you get used to him training with you, and even learn a few things from him.

What are a few things that he could do, accidentally, that make you uncomfortable, and how would you respond to these happenings? How long would it take to be comfortable around him again?

And after a few months, he wants you to travel with him and a group of his friends.

How can he convince you to go with him?

You and your new group encounter a group of people who wish to engage your group in combat.

How do you respond immediately, and are you likely to be able to fight at all?

Asta Kask
2011-01-21, 05:21 PM
Good book?

Haven't read it, but I recommended it to a net-friend who's an Aspie and cat-lover. She loved it.

And now for the obvious - no, cats don't have Asperger's. That would be if a cat had difficulty understanding the social signals of other cats. But cats aren't pack animals, and have a hard time understanding human social signals (compare them to dogs). So as an analogy, it's not completely bad.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-21, 05:32 PM
Haven't read it, but I recommended it to a net-friend who's an Aspie and cat-lover. She loved it.

And now for the obvious - no, cats don't have Asperger's. That would be if a cat had difficulty understanding the social signals of other cats. But cats aren't pack animals, and have a hard time understanding human social signals (compare them to dogs). So as an analogy, it's not completely bad.

Maybe all cats have Aspergers, and thats why they arnet pack animals?

Asta Kask
2011-01-23, 11:42 AM
Could Miko be an Aspie? She certainly has problems relating to people on a personal level, has an extremely rigid worldview and is as morally flexible as an iron bar. She is intelligent and good at intelligence work and analysis but has difficulties comprehending other peoples' motives (and understanding that the goodness of certain acts - like destroying Dorukan's gate - depends on the context in which it is done).

Mina Kobold
2011-01-23, 01:35 PM
Could Miko be an Aspie? She certainly has problems relating to people on a personal level, has an extremely rigid worldview and is as morally flexible as an iron bar. She is intelligent and good at intelligence work and analysis but has difficulties comprehending other peoples' motives (and understanding that the goodness of certain acts - like destroying Dorukan's gate - depends on the context in which it is done).

Nah, Miko seems more like a god-complex to me.

She believes she is always right, which would be weird for an Aspie if you ask me, and she comes from a group (monks and paladins) based around rules and discipline so she has the fearless equivalent of a cultural shock.

Or maybe she's both, that cwould be a groovy twist. :D

Oh, and I have been diagnosed with Aspergers too!

I'd rather have Osaka-/Cloudcuckoolander syndrome, though.

It'd include less nervous rambling and more insanity.

I would go on about pros and cons of AS but I find that boring so I'll just dance for a minute.

*Cue Disco-style Carameldansen*

Cadian 9th
2011-01-25, 03:27 AM

Could be.

Wait, you're saying that aspie's aren't good at understanding context?

I suppose you're right. Not good. We can do it, it's just second nature?

Nah, Miko seems more like a god-complex to me.

She believes she is always right, which would be weird for an Aspie if you ask me, and she comes from a group (monks and paladins) based around rules and discipline so she has the fearless equivalent of a cultural shock.

Or maybe she's both, that cwould be a groovy twist. :D

Oh, and I have been diagnosed with Aspergers too!

I'd rather have Osaka-/Cloudcuckoolander syndrome, though.

It'd include less nervous rambling and more insanity.

I would go on about pros and cons of AS but I find that boring so I'll just dance for a minute.

*Cue Disco-style Carameldansen*

Miko, Huh. She just seems like an extreme girl. Like, everything about girls, turned up to 11. Only, the girl is prudish.

Welcome! T-shirt?

horngeek
2011-01-25, 03:37 AM
...actually, there are Aspie elements in Miko. However, I'd say she's a combination of that and other things.

Basically, she might have Asperger's, but she's a jerk too.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-25, 12:32 PM
Miko, Huh. She just seems like an extreme girl. Like, everything about girls, turned up to 11. Only, the girl is prudish.

Welcome! T-shirt?

Are you implying girls are all violent and everything else not neccesairly prudish about Miko?

If you are then I have to yell SEXIST!

If you are not then I have to give you a duck.

Besi-Ooh T-shirt!

I have a T-shirt! T-shirt! Teeeeeeeeee-shirt!

PS: I probably misunderstood the joke, but I wanted to imply not being sexist equals ducks so... :smalltongue:

Asta Kask
2011-01-25, 12:58 PM
Could be.

Wait, you're saying that aspie's aren't good at understanding context?

I suppose you're right. Not good. We can do it, it's just second nature.

(Should the second sentence read "it's just not second nature"? I'm proceding on the assumption that it shouldn't but the sentence structure is odd.)

From what I've come to understand, aspies may have difficulties understanding that different rules operate in different contexts. Not only rules about etiquette, but also rules about morality. More Kant than Bentham. This would be part of the wider problem with social behavior.

What I'm not saying is that all aspies have these difficulties, nor am I saying that they cannot be overcome with training. I would argue that Miko's upbringing wasn't geared towards learning how to interpret norms in a flexible way.

...actually, there are Aspie elements in Miko. However, I'd say she's a combination of that and other things.

Basically, she might have Asperger's, but she's a jerk too.

Asbsolutely. I assume that there are aspies who are jerks just like there are jerks in all other walks of life.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-25, 02:03 PM
From what I've come to understand, aspies may have difficulties understanding that different rules operate in different contexts. Not only rules about etiquette, but also rules about morality. More Kant than Bentham. This would be part of the wider problem with social behavior.

I understand perfectly well that the social rules and morality is different between High-schoolers and between adults and arrogant high-schoolers like me.

I just refuse to compromise them.

Which may be a flaw but I like it, it's my flaw!

Though, I could be friends with the rest of the class.

But I have no idea how to do that so I just blame them. :smalltongue:

Cadian 9th
2011-01-25, 06:19 PM
Are you implying girls are all violent and everything else not neccesairly prudish about Miko?

If you are then I have to yell SEXIST!

I personally believe that the scales have veered too far towards females these days. When did it become okay for a girl to film men changing, when the reverse is not true?

I'm not implying all girls are violent. Not all guys are violent, either, but the potential exists.

If you are not then I have to give you a duck.

Besi-Ooh T-shirt!

I have a T-shirt! T-shirt! Teeeeeeeeee-shirt!

PS: I probably misunderstood the joke, but I wanted to imply not being sexist equals ducks so... :smalltongue:

Heh. I meant that girls are mostly right (justifiably so), and have some extremes of behavior. Miko sometimes reminds me of a girl I talk to, except more extreme. Like, She's right, emotionally supercharged and gets worked up over little things occasionally. No disrespect intended to either of them.

Welcome! *Puts $5 to fund... *

(Should the second sentence read "it's just not second nature"? I'm proceding on the assumption that it shouldn't but the sentence structure is odd.)

Yeah, I meant that it's not something that comes naturally. You've got to learn it. Which is why I think some people think you "grow out" of aspergers. It's not that we've lost AS, it's that, like the aliens who spend thousands of years observing us and finally attack, we've learnt how to fool the NTs. Well, gained enough experience to know what's right and wrong in lots of situations.

What I'm not saying is that all aspies have these difficulties, nor am I saying that they cannot be overcome with training. I would argue that Miko's upbringing wasn't geared towards learning how to interpret norms in a flexible way.

Asbsolutely. I assume that there are aspies who are jerks just like there are jerks in all other walks of life.

+1

Also, I agree absolutely with your last point. I'm a jerk half the time, and the other half the time I'm asleep.

Ialdabaoth
2011-01-25, 06:26 PM
I understand perfectly well that the social rules and morality is different between High-schoolers and between adults and arrogant high-schoolers like me.

I just refuse to compromise them.

Which may be a flaw but I like it, it's my flaw!

Though, I could be friends with the rest of the class.

But I have no idea how to do that so I just blame them. :smalltongue:

Excellent quote from an 80's movie:

"Adults? You want to be treated like adults, little miss voice-of-a-generation? Just how exactly do you think adults act with other adults? Do you think it’s all just a game of doubles tennis? When teenagers complain that they want to be treated like they’re human beings, it’s usually because they are being treated like human beings."

Mina Kobold
2011-01-26, 08:29 AM
I personally believe that the scales have veered too far towards females these days. When did it become okay for a girl to film men changing, when the reverse is not true?

*Twitch* You! What?! Argh!

Sorry, you hit a bezerk button (why do I even have that?) I must calm myself with relevant quote from my favourite webcomic.

"The loudest aren't neccesarily the majority"

That's better. :3

And it shows my counter-argument as well! Just because some feminists see men as inferior that does not mean that they in any way represent all of feminism.

It's not OK to forbid someone from filming someone else if both agree and are older than the age of consent, I have never heard of such nonsense.

I am legally allowed to film whoever I want (of age 16+) as long as they agree to it, and dance naked in the school auditorium for that matter (Never will but someone did at the Christmas show competition and won) So don't tell me what we condemn. :smallwink:

Excellent quote from an 80's movie:

"Adults? You want to be treated like adults, little miss voice-of-a-generation? Just how exactly do you think adults act with other adults? Do you think it’s all just a game of doubles tennis? When teenagers complain that they want to be treated like they’re human beings, it’s usually because they are being treated like human beings."

But the adults treat me nicely and give me presents...

It's the teenagers* I don't like.

Has a lot to do with swearing and sex.

Mainly that I do neither.

Which is my personal flaw, so I like it. :smalltongue:

*Well, some of them. Not all... Sorry. I stereotyped. :smallfrown:

Saposhiente
2011-01-28, 12:08 AM
*Twitch* You! What?! Argh!

Sorry, you hit a bezerk button (why do I even have that?) I must calm myself with relevant quote from my favourite webcomic.

"The loudest aren't neccesarily the majority"

That's better. :3

And it shows my counter-argument as well! Just because some feminists see men as inferior that does not mean that they in any way represent all of feminism.

*snip*
It's not about who thinks who else is inferior; it's about what actually happens: In the majority of cases, the man is expected to be 'chivalrous' for the woman. How many times have you heard the phrase "Ladies first"?

EDIT: There is also the whole "All men are perverts (except that one)"/"No women are perverts" idea which is the source of such things as what he said (probably not illegal but instead inetiquettal/peer pressure/grossclaim) and the general public ignorance of F on M rape. Again, not universal, but the majority.

EDIT EDIT: Yes I know that this is getting off topic, but analysis of society is useful to those that least understand it

Serpentine
2011-01-28, 05:09 AM
I personally believe that the scales have veered too far towards females these days. When did it become okay for a girl to film men changing, when the reverse is not true?1. That has nothing to do with whether or not claiming that Miko is just an extreme epitome of "femaleness" is sexist - and I think it is pretty much so, not to mention a weird way to take female stereotypes.
2. You're wrong, or at least only right in a few very specific circumstances, and even then mostly only on the face of it.
3. Even if you were right - and I admit that some few very fringe individuals and minor groups have taken it to extremes, but I don't consider them feminists as feminism is about equality, not female superiority, nor do I think they have particularly significant influence - considering how very long it's been the other way round, I don't think it's so terrible for it to go in the other direction temporarily until the "scales" stabilise. I think it's pretty much inevitable, and necessary for said stabilisation.
4. Since when has it been okay for a girl to film men changing? :smallconfused: Of course those men should sue the arse off those girls if it was done without their consent.

Actually on topic, I would think that my housemate might have Aspergers, but... I don't know why, it just doesn't fit for me. He's a nerd's nerd's nerd, with a Bachelor of Science, Honours in Astrophysics, a Diploma of (maths) Education and in the process of getting a Masters or PhD in pure mathematics. I think the main reason he doesn't have a much narrower range of interests than he does is because he's had a big range of people form a social circle around him, in large part thanks to an extremely gregarious girl with a wildly different personality and interests way back when. And he really does have weird issues with social rules and the like. He never asks for anything, never says please, never says thank you, never offers anything (except when he cooks for D&D) but usually hands it over if requested (can't tell whether it's reluctant or not...), and as I recently realised he never, ever apologises. We just moved house, and had to keep the cats locked inside the new house for a few days so they didn't run away. We'd discussed this quite a lot before and during the move, and moving the cats went off without a hitch. Then, not 5 minutes after we put the cats inside... my housemate left the door open. Wouldn't have been open more than a minute or two before I noticed and closed it, but still my cat got out. Annnnd he was gone.
So. My cat was gone, possibly never to be found again, it was my housemate's fault... But no apology. I think he did feel bad about it, cuz he agreed straight away when I said we needed to go for a drive to look for him, and I saw him walking down the road looking for him, but there was never so much as a "sorry I left the door open"...
So, highly intelligent, narrow interests in which he has a great deal of knowledge, and a very poor handle on normal social skills. So why don't I think he has Aspergers? I dunno. Maybe he seems too confident in himself or something? That doesn't seem right...

Asta Kask
2011-01-28, 05:12 AM
Did you find the cat?

Serpentine
2011-01-28, 05:30 AM
Argh. Friggin' internet. Short version: Yes, late that night - maybe 8 or 9 hours after he went missing.

Asta Kask
2011-01-28, 05:43 AM
I think it's very easy for amateurs like us to over-diagnose psychiatric syndromes, so some reticience is probably wise. I have some Aspergoid characteristics myself, but I've never been diagnosed with anything. That's the fun thing about spectrum disorders - where do you draw the line? We have to draw a line for diagnostic purposes, obviously, but it's important to remember that the line is made by us.

Ehh... I'm rambling. Take what's useful and leave the rest... :smallsmile:

Serpentine
2011-01-28, 06:01 AM
I dunno, he just seems almost stereotypically Aspiesey. But I think he's just a nerd who never learnt basic manners.

Mina Kobold
2011-01-28, 11:48 AM
It's not about who thinks who else is inferior; it's about what actually happens: In the majority of cases, the man is expected to be 'chivalrous' for the woman. How many times have you heard the phrase "Ladies first"?

EDIT: There is also the whole "All men are perverts (except that one)"/"No women are perverts" idea which is the source of such things as what he said (probably not illegal but instead inetiquettal/peer pressure/grossclaim) and the general public ignorance of F on M rape. Again, not universal, but the majority.

EDIT EDIT: Yes I know that this is getting off topic, but analysis of society is useful to those that least understand it

Did you know most feminists consider "Ladies first" to be sexist? :smallsmile:
Positive sexism is still sexism and should remain within quirks, silliness and roleplaying. *pretends to be sagely and nods*

Response: I will defend my side by saying that "All men are perverts" have a sister Trope on TvTropes which is the same with women, we're all perverts essentially. :smalltongue:
We seek to change that general public idea, it's horrible and sexist.

Response Response: Indeed it is. :3

Also, that Math guy Serpy mentioned sounds horribly boring and not at all like he know that he's bad at social stuff. *Yawns at his boringness*

Which most of us who they call 'Aspies' know we are, to the point a TvTroper compared it the Tin Man avoiding stepping on cracks because he had no heart and as such must be extra careful that he does good. :3