PDA

View Full Version : Forcing Enemies to Attack you (3.5)

LOTRfan
2011-01-09, 08:17 PM
After reading through the Dwarven Defender thread, Eldan mentioned

The problem with the Dwarven Defender is that it is basically a class that cripples itself. It's pretty much only class feature is turning immobile, resulting in enemies just walking, flying or teleporting past you and ignoring you until the rest of the party is finished.

That is, of course, a problem.

He brings up a fair point. This has led to me thinking of ways to correct this glaring issue. The most obvious way, at least in my eyes, to fix this would be to find a way to force a target to attack the dwarven defender. How, exactly, is this possible with official D&D material? I am fully aware ToB has an updated version of this prestige class, but I'd prefer to use non-ToB material (almost anything else is fair game, however).

quiet1mi
2011-01-09, 08:23 PM
Debuffing the enemy with hexblade (the fixed version) / Paladin of Tyranny... then goad from complete warrior

Thurbane
2011-01-09, 08:25 PM
Easiest way is probably levels in Knight, and pump up the DC of Knight's Challenge as much as possible.

The Goad feat (mentioned above) is another option, but not as as good as Knight's Challenge.

LOTRfan
2011-01-09, 08:27 PM
That is perfect. Usable against most creatures, and has a DC that steadily increases as you level. It might be a little weird making a Dwarf with high charisma, but this is pretty cool. Thanks.

Where can I find the Hexblade fix?

EDIT: The Knight's challenge, of course. :smallsigh: That functions with ranged attacks too, right?

Starbuck_II
2011-01-09, 08:29 PM
After reading through the Dwarven Defender thread, Eldan mentioned

He brings up a fair point. This has led to me thinking of ways to correct this glaring issue. The most obvious way, at least in my eyes, to fix this would be to find a way to force a target to attack the dwarven defender. How, exactly, is this possible with official D&D material? I am fully aware ToB has an updated version of this prestige class, but I'd prefer to use non-ToB material (almost anything else is fair game, however).

There are spells:
Mindless Rage (2nd Bard, Wiz/Sorc): must attack you physically if fail will save. It Also activates Rage (using up a useage) on target.
Maybe a magic item that when activated casts it?

It stops Ranged attacks, spells, and magic items unless used on you in melee.

LOTRfan
2011-01-09, 08:31 PM
There are spells:
Mindless Rage (2nd Bard, Wiz/Sorc): must attack you physically if fail will save. It Also activates Rage (using up a useage) on target.

Where can mindless rage be found?

Also, is there a limit to how many times a character can use the goad feat?

DeltaEmil
2011-01-09, 08:37 PM
Have your entire party be invisible except for you, so that your enemies will focus in the first round solely on you. Then let the clerics and wizards rain down colorless fire from the sky and apocalyptic devastation centered on you.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-09, 08:37 PM
Where can mindless rage be found?

Complete adventurer or Spell Compendruim.

Cerlis
2011-01-09, 08:51 PM
Roleplay.

/winthread

Once in an official dnd game (that one you do at events, its all...official. forget what its called)

I couldnt do anything other than rush into the trees by myself and attack em (i was a fighter, was trying to take) cus we where surrounded.

So i decided to try to goad the kobalds into shooting at me, by saying something like "C'mon you lizard loving cretins! I'll kill you all and piss on your graves like i did to your God's alter!" and promptly kicked our kobald prisoner in the gut.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-09, 08:58 PM
Make your DM pity your class's inability to do its job properly

/winthread

Sadly, I had to fix that for you.

TehLivingDeath
2011-01-09, 08:59 PM
Roleplay.

/winthread

Once in an official dnd game (that one you do at events, its all...official. forget what its called)

I couldnt do anything other than rush into the trees by myself and attack em (i was a fighter, was trying to take) cus we where surrounded.

So i decided to try to goad the kobalds into shooting at me, by saying something like "C'mon you lizard loving cretins! I'll kill you all and piss on your graves like i did to your God's alter!" and promptly kicked our kobald prisoner in the gut.

Won't work against any enemy that is either irrational or even remotely intelligent.

Knight has been mentioned. More than forcing enemies to attack, it's capability of restricting movement is also key. Crusaded would be even better. If the enemy can't just walk past you, trying to kill you would be the next logical step, unless he has some sort of ranged attack.

snoopy13a
2011-01-09, 08:59 PM
In a dungeon crawl, the dwarven defender simply needs to set themself up at bottlenecks such as hallways (hallways are rarely wider than 5') or at doorways. Plus, dungeons normally have low ceilings, so flying over won't be an option. Of course, teleporting would be but it could lead to the teleporting NPC being separated from their comrades.

Additionally, reach weapons will provide the dwarven defender to at least hamper anyone trying to get by in a room or in the open field. A medium character with a spiked chain threatens a 25' by 25' area (that's a 625 square foot room, which isn't exactly small). If the dwarven defender has an enlarge person spell than the threatened area increases. A successful trip attack will prevent enemies from getting past the dwarf and encourage the enemies to concentrate ranged attacks on the dwarf.

Essentially, just try to use geography to your advantage.

quiet1mi
2011-01-09, 09:29 PM
Your search fu is weak, alas the hexblade fix

"The hexblade suffers a little because he came on the scene relatively early in 3.5's life.
As R&D pushes the boundaries of the game, we learn that some things we thought were risky
or potentially broken aren't. Other times, we learn things that look fine don't actually
work in play.

Armored mages fall into the first category. Them seem really powerful, but in the long run they aren't. Spells and magic items allow an unarmored mage to build great defenses. The spell mage armor is as good as medium armor, and its duration allows most mages to keep it active at all times. If you compare the hexblade to the duskblade from PH 2, you can see how the thinking has changed.

If you want to boost the hexblade, I'd try the following changes:

* Good Fortitude save
* Curse ability usable 1 + the hexblade's Cha modifier per day
* Curse ability usable as a swift action
* Curse ability does not count as used if the target makes his saving throw
* Ability to cast in light or medium armor and while carrying a light shield or buckler
* At 6th level, the hexblade can cast one hexblade spell per day as a swift action, as long as its original casting time is a standard action or faster. He gains an additional use of this power at levels 8, 11, 14, and 18.

The key to the hexblade is his curse ability, but it's a little un-fun to have it so limited in use. The hexblade also has trouble casting spells and using his melee attacks, so shifting spells to swift actions fits in with the idea of an armored mage."

Gnaeus
2011-01-09, 09:59 PM
In a dungeon crawl, the dwarven defender simply needs to set themself up at bottlenecks such as hallways (hallways are rarely wider than 5') or at doorways. Plus, dungeons normally have low ceilings, so flying over won't be an option. Of course, teleporting would be but it could lead to the teleporting NPC being separated from their comrades.

This would be helpful if you were a dwarf defender at, say, level 1-5. High level monsters tend to be more intelligent than humans, therefore unlikely to live in places where their mobility options are useless. If you do find a bottleneck, they are unlikely to engage you in it for the same reason, instead withdrawing to fight on terrain that is to their advantage, or circling behind the party, or opening up a new tunnel, or summoning allies behind the DD. In high level play, withdrawing into a bottleneck and waiting for the enemies to come to you is a good way to die as they unload their high level spells or SLAs.

Additionally, reach weapons will provide the dwarven defender to at least hamper anyone trying to get by in a room or in the open field. A medium character with a spiked chain threatens a 25' by 25' area (that's a 625 square foot room, which isn't exactly small). If the dwarven defender has an enlarge person spell than the threatened area increases. A successful trip attack will prevent enemies from getting past the dwarf and encourage the enemies to concentrate ranged attacks on the dwarf.

Again, by the time you are a DD, this tactic is spent. Most high CR creatures are either functionally untrippable or likely to have better methods to bypass a tripper than running past him.

I once did a comparison between Monster Manual 1 monsters of CRs likely to fight a DD and their actual vulnerability to his schtick. The result is that less than 10% of MM1 critters cannot just bypass the little mobile wall, and of those 10%, most, like Big T, will just move up and eat him in a round or 2.

Cerlis
2011-01-09, 11:41 PM
Won't work against any enemy that is either irrational or even remotely intelligent.

Knight has been mentioned. More than forcing enemies to attack, it's capability of restricting movement is also key. Crusaded would be even better. If the enemy can't just walk past you, trying to kill you would be the next logical step, unless he has some sort of ranged attack.

Well for anything stupid, just hit it in the head, thats enough to get it pissed at you.

Sadly, I had to hijack your post cus i think Roleplaying solutions dont fit in with a roleplaying game.

sorry, had to fix that for you.

Private-Prinny
2011-01-09, 11:51 PM
Crusaders can't force an enemy to attack them, but they can make it look like a much safer option. Stuff like Iron Guard's Glare and Defensive Rebuke make it a pain to attack an ally, but they don't take those penalties if you're their target.

Sadly, I had to hijack your post cus i think Roleplaying solutions dont fit in with a roleplaying game.

That's just unnecessary. The OP asked for a mechanical solution, you suggested something that has nothing to do with the mechanics, and Glyphstone pointed out that the Fighter has no way to draw aggro.

Darrin
2011-01-09, 11:56 PM
That is perfect. Usable against most creatures, and has a DC that steadily increases as you level. It might be a little weird making a Dwarf with high charisma, but this is pretty cool. Thanks.

Gold Dwarf (DMG), Desert Dwarf (UA/SRD), and Dream Dwarf (Races of Stone) have a Dex penalty instead of Cha. You can get +2 Cha/-2 Wis by adding the Magic-Blooded template (Dragon #306, LA +0).

Of course, that's not even getting into abusing Stone-Blessed with Magic-Blooded Star Elves or Magic-Blooded Phrenic Primordial Half-Giants.

Where can I find the Hexblade fix?

Updated Hexblade Handbook (http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=7412.0) has the details.

EDIT: The Knight's challenge, of course. :smallsigh: That functions with ranged attacks too, right?

Pick up a Veil of Allure (Sandstorm, MIC) ASAP. It increases your Cha-based DCs by +2, so it's worth 4 levels of Knight.

There are a couple loopholes you might want to bring up with your DM:

You can issue Knights Challenges while invisible (target just needs to be able to hear you and understand some kind of language). You can even attack while invisible without breaking the Knight's Code (targets do not get their Dex bonus against invisible attackers, but by RAW are not explicitly considered flat-footed). However, if you try this, 99% of DMs will most likely immediately rule that this violates the Knight's Code via RAI.

You can be moved around by *someone else* while in a Defensive Stance. Talisman of the Disk is great for this (i.e., the "Pouncing Sidecar"), particulary if you can give it to a cohort/familiar. Another PC with a wand of benevolent transposition is also fairly cheap. If money is no object, I've seen some suggestions that a Carpet of Flying could be put to good use. Again, you may run into RAI issues with your DM if you get a bit too mobile.

Thurbane
2011-01-10, 12:31 AM
There are spells:

For spells, Confusion is another option. Any creature under a Confusion spell is automatically compelled to do nothing else than attack the last creature to attack it...

Silva Stormrage
2011-01-10, 01:15 AM
One way which requires quite a bit of DM intepretation is to penalize your diplomacy check. With a race that gives a penalty to charisma and several flaws and traits that reduce diplomacy you should be able to get around -20. Now the rules for diplomacy state that the person becomes more hateful of you when you roll below a 0.
So do diplomacy for 5 rounds and someone who was previously helpfull now tries to rip your throat out :smallbiggrin:. Of course thats unreasonable in combat but it clearly shows that a poor diplomacy check makes the target hate you more. A dm I had ruled that this made everyone I was talking to just focus fire on me until I think like 2 rounds or something like that. It's for a full round action so its not unbalanced in the slightest.

Side note in the same campaign it was funny to cause a riot pretty much whenever I wanted to.

Fiery Diamond
2011-01-10, 01:35 AM
That's just unnecessary. The OP asked for a mechanical solution, you suggested something that has nothing to do with the mechanics, and Glyphstone pointed out that the Fighter has no way to draw aggro.

In my opinion, it is just as "unnecessary" to "quote" someone else's post and change the contents to something completely different in the first place. This whole "fixed it for you" trend on this forum is both highly annoying and rude, so unless the person "quoted" finds it amusing rather than irritating, responding in kind is no more wrong than the initial transgression.

On topic: People have mentioned most things I can think of. Frankly, unless things like getting class levels in a specific other class or getting magic items that cast specific spells are easily available, you may be better off trying to follow the "role-play it" suggestion. Though, as Glyphstone pointed out, this is highly dependent on your DM being willing to role-play the enemy responses favorably to you.

Psyren
2011-01-10, 07:39 AM
In my opinion, it is just as "unnecessary" to "quote" someone else's post and change the contents to something completely different in the first place. This whole "fixed it for you" trend on this forum is both highly annoying and rude, so unless the person "quoted" finds it amusing rather than irritating, responding in kind is no more wrong than the initial transgression.

He's still wrong. I quote the OP:

How, exactly, is this possible with official D&D material?

There are no official rules for what happens when you "kick a kobold prisoner in the gut." And that's assuming he has one handy to kick every time he needs to pull aggro, or can think up sufficiently scathing insults that will reliably cause baddies to ignore the dress-wearing guy throwing spells from the back line. (That would require a quickness of wit I'm more likely to attribute to Kender than Dwarven Defenders; assuming, that is, that we're roleplaying them.)

So we've got someone being either deliberately or blissfully unhelpful, and then promptly declaring he's "won the thread" with his unhelpful advice, which is itself rather disrespectful to the much more suitable suggestions that have come before him. If he's that confident in his assertion, he should not only expect, but invite people to challenge it.

Stallion
2011-01-10, 03:34 PM
7 Knight/1 warblade/8 DD/4 deepstone sentinel anyone? Draw attackers in with Knight's Challenge and then keep them still with Stone Curse. Grab enough DD to get Mobile Defense and you can at least move a VERY little bit.

Edit: Oof. Derp on that one, missed the no ToB stuff.

DeltaEmil
2011-01-10, 03:43 PM
No go, because LOTRfan doesn't want to or can't use warblade and other Tome of Battle-material, unfortunately.

Boci
2011-01-10, 04:00 PM

So how would you respond to one of those really rare monsters that thinks the squishy caster needs to be dealt with before the talking tincan? You know, say, something with a combined intelligence and wisdom score above 20?

In my opinion, it is just as "unnecessary" to "quote" someone else's post and change the contents to something completely different in the first place.

But it wasn't changed. Roleplaying insults and threats to get the monster's attention is asking the DM to throw you a bone.

For spells, Confusion is another option. Any creature under a Confusion spell is automatically compelled to do nothing else than attack the last creature to attack it...

Isn't that just one of many options it can take? (Flee, attack the casters, do nothing...)

DeltaEmil
2011-01-10, 04:10 PM
Against intelligent and/or spellcasting opponents, dwarven defenders die.

Dwarven defenders are meant to hold the line against hopelessly outmatched 1/2 hd orcs and goblins trying to storm a dwarven stronghold and dying in droves who stupidly charge again and again, never using bows or longspears, derping around till their lifeless bodies hinder further assaults from other stupid monsters in the back.

The only problem is of course that nobody wants to roll out a boring encounter as such, even if this would look like an epic scenario... which it isn't, as a higher-level character slaughtering enemies that can only hit on a 20 anyway is anything but epic.

Boci
2011-01-10, 04:25 PM
The only problem is of course that nobody wants to roll out a boring encounter as such, even if this would look like an epic scenario... which it isn't, as a higher-level character slaughtering enemies that can only hit on a 20 anyway is anything but epic.

DM could be using 3.5 minions, but thats hardly the norm.

Another problem DDs have that is rarely mentioned because lack of movement over shadows it, is that even if a monster does focus solely on them, they aren't that much better at absorbing the blows than any other melee character.

LOTRfan
2011-01-10, 04:32 PM
Thanks guys. I'll go with a combination of much of the advice here, but I have no more question: It seems people are under the assumption that if an enemy has a reach weapon or ranged weapon, the dwarven defender is now useless. Perhaps I am missing something, but why can't Dwarven Defenders use ranged weapons? The +4 strength seems to encourage melee, yeah, but I don't recall anything regarding ranged weapons. Please keep in mind that I am away from my books at the moment, so I may be wrong.

Boci
2011-01-10, 04:34 PM
Thanks guys. I'll go with a combination of much of the advice here, but I have no more question: It seems people are under the assumption that if an enemy has a reach weapon or ranged weapon, the dwarven defender is now useless. Perhaps I am missing something, but why can't Dwarven Defenders use ranged weapons? The +4 strength seems to encourage melee, yeah, but I don't recall anything regarding ranged weapons. Please keep in mind that I am away from my books at the moment, so I may be wrong.

Nothing, but 1d8+1 damage per attack is a little under whelming. If the character is focused on archery then they could do more damage, but then why are they a DD?

LOTRfan
2011-01-10, 04:41 PM
Good question. What about a Knight/Dwarven Defender with the goad feat (possibly with a mindless rage item as well) who is mainly a melee fighter, but also uses throwing axes/hammers (Races of Stone) in emergencies? That way, they still benefit from their strength while using ranged weapons?

Boci
2011-01-10, 04:49 PM
Good question. What about a Knight/Dwarven Defender with the goad feat (possibly with a mindless rage item as well) who is mainly a melee fighter, but also uses throwing axes/hammers (Races of Stone) in emergencies? That way, they still benefit from their strength while using ranged weapons?

Better, but you're still dealing a lot less damage. Lower damage dice, less enchantments on weapon, strength mod instead of 1.5 and no power attack. The attack is also less accurate because you're using dexterity instead of strength and most thrown weapons have a pretty short range increment. Plus you would need quick draw or quite a few crystals to full attack.

Telonius
2011-01-10, 04:59 PM
So how would you respond to one of those really rare monsters that thinks the squishy caster needs to be dealt with before the talking tincan? You know, say, something with a combined intelligence and wisdom score above 20?

To put a bit of a finer point on it ... in what possible way could a Dwarven Defender who plants himself in a defensive stance, roleplay his way into forcing things to attack him at close range? Yeah, it can be done, given the right circumstances, and a particularly anger-able enemy. But I'm hard-pressed to imagine anything other than incredibly hot-headed idiot trying to attack a dwarf who's planting himself solid and not moving from the spot.

Gnaeus
2011-01-10, 05:04 PM
Better, but you're still dealing a lot less damage. Lower damage dice, less enchantments on weapon, strength mod instead of 1.5 and no power attack. The attack is also less accurate because you're using dexterity instead of strength and most thrown weapons have a pretty short range increment. Plus you would need quick draw or quite a few crystals to full attack.

This, unfortunately.

For a fighter to be meaningfully good at something requires not a feat, but a chain of feats. It is possible to make muggles that will function in range or melee (say a rogue with the full TWF feat chain, who can dual wield or throw daggers using dex to hit either way and relying on sneak attack for damage). But for a fighter (and really, a DD is a fighter), it is hard enough to be meaningfully effective at 1 thing.

My suggestion would be to gish out. Take a level of sorcerer, wizard, cleric, or some other casting class in which you can muster at least a 14 in the casting stat. Get a weapon with a wand chamber, and a good wand or 2. Lightning Bolt isn't a great spell, but a CL 10 lightning bolt or fireball will make an enemy target you in a way that throwing a hammer will never do (unless you are a dedicated throwing build)

LOTRfan
2011-01-10, 05:19 PM
That's... disappointing. What exactly is a gish? Gathering from your post, I assume a multi-class character? As Quiet1mi has established, my "search fu" is weak, and I assume its not the alternative rock album.

Gnaeus
2011-01-10, 05:23 PM
That's... disappointing. What exactly is a gish? Gathering from your post, I assume a multi-class character? As Quiet1mi has established, my "search fu" is weak, and I assume its not the alternative rock album.

Gish is an old term taken from the AD&D githyanki (It might have been githzerai) fighter wizards. It broadly means anything that casts spells and melees. Specifically, it would probably mean Sorc or Wiz+ a Melee class, but you can think of Clerics as gishlike, especially in certain builds, and Duskblade can be thought of as a gish in a single class.

The best gishes are something like caster 17-19, melee class 1-3, but even a 1 level dip in something like cleric or sorc will give you some utility and let you use wands or staves.

Person_Man
2011-01-10, 05:38 PM
I've played the Knight several times and written a Knight Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=109429). And I can tell you from personal experience that unless your Knight has serious battlefield control AND mobility AND defense, you will die a quick death after using Test of Mettle. The Dwarvern Defender adds some moderate bonuses to your defense, but it does nothing for your battlefield control, and it negates any mobility options.

Also, take a minute and look at what the DD is actually giving you. Is +2 Str, +4 Con, +2 Saves, +4 AC, Uncanny Dodge/Imp Uncanny Dodge, Trap Sense, and minor DR really worth 10 levels?

Thrice Dead Cat
2011-01-10, 05:55 PM
Gish is an old term taken from the AD&D githyanki (It might have been githzerai) fighter wizards. It broadly means anything that casts spells and melees. Specifically, it would probably mean Sorc or Wiz+ a Melee class, but you can think of Clerics as gishlike, especially in certain builds, and Duskblade can be thought of as a gish in a single class.

The best gishes are something like caster 17-19, melee class 1-3, but even a 1 level dip in something like cleric or sorc will give you some utility and let you use wands or staves.

To add upon this, the term is usually given a qualifier like "skill gish" for arcane trickster-types, "divine gish" for clerics and archivists (and druids, really, but I prefer calling those guys "bear gish") and with the exception of the skill gishes, the "gold standard" is a minimum of 17th spellcasting level (that is, 9th level spells) an +16 BAB by 20th level. Skill gishes compensate the lack of BAB with large sneak attack dice and more battlefield control than usual.

In core, for the arcane, you're pretty much stuck on Wizard 8/Fighter 2/Eldritch Knight 10, but throwing in completes gives you access to the wonder of Abjurant Champion. Most divine gishes "cheat" the BAB with divine power, although 339 did have a guide on arcane disciples doing the same.