PDA

View Full Version : Are there any Low-LA Fey races?

Dsurion
2011-01-09, 08:40 PM
I've recently converted a person who previously thought D&D was just a "silly little game", a person who knew nothing about the game, basically by describing all of the things you can't do in conventional video games and marketing the fact that it's a really open game where technically anything can happen.

In a sort of off-hand comment, she said she wanted to play a faerie princess. I'd like to actually try this, to prove that it can be done. But I really don't want to deal with level adjustment. Our game would be starting at first level, and though I suppose I cold simply ignore the LA and let her have her way for the novelty of her first game, I'd rather not have to explain all of that to someone unfamiliar to tabletop RPG's.

Can the playground help? Would it be easier to just say it's fluff?

dsmiles
2011-01-09, 08:41 PM
There's the Feytouched. Fiend Folio, I believe.

Obscurejones
2011-01-09, 08:43 PM
Duskling's work well for a low level adjustment fey. Magic of Incarnum
However, not sure it would work well for a princess.

JeminiZero
2011-01-09, 09:00 PM
Killoren from Races of the Wild are LA +0.

Super_Fluous
2011-01-09, 09:08 PM
Does it really even have to have the Fey type? Just play an elf or a gnome, and flavor it as a faerie princess character.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-09, 09:13 PM
Does it really even have to have the Fey type? Just play an elf or a gnome, and flavor it as a faerie princess character.

This is an excellent suggestion. While D&D may not consider these races fae, they certainly are in the grander scheme of myths.

Just don't make her an aristocrat. :smallwink: Aim for Xena (Warblade?).

Coidzor
2011-01-09, 09:14 PM
Of potential interest to you. 1. Transition classes (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a)

2. Level-Adjusted Races (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a)

A potential combination here is of getting both Feytouched and Half-Fey for either 2 LA, 2 levels, or 1 LA/Level. Or of just having an LA 0 Feytouched.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-09, 09:21 PM
What about sprites? I've used them before as low level encounters.

Jack_Simth
2011-01-09, 09:31 PM
What about sprites? I've used them before as low level encounters.
The game's starting at first level, and the lowest of the core Sprites is +3 LA, needing a 4th level game to work 'normally'.

Psyren
2011-01-09, 09:35 PM
Give her a Star Elf and call it a day. You can even make it Fey if you want, or give it a subtype.

Waker
2011-01-09, 09:37 PM
Gruwaar, Dragon 317.
CE Fey (Looks like a furry gremlin.)
+2 Dex/Cha, -2 Str/Wis. Small. 20ft movement, or run on all fours for 30ft. Darkvision. +2 Hide, Move Silently, Sleight of Hand. 2 1d3 Claw attacks. Disguise Self 1/day. Favored Class: Rogue.

Dsurion
2011-01-09, 09:40 PM
Technically, it doesn't have to be, no. My thought process was just to prove that it can be done with in-game mechanics to support my idea earlier. However, I don't think it could hurt to simply say that there is an alternative along the lines of telling her that mechanics are not the rigid be-all end-all, and I could just allow her to choose whatever she wants and flavor it to taste, which is why I brought that up earlier :smallsmile:

Give her a Star Elf and call it a day. You can even make it Fey if you want, or give it a subtype.What source is this from?

What about sprites? I've used them before as low level encounters.I had considered this briefly, since it fits the more traditional image of a faerie, but then I thought exactly this:

The game's starting at first level, and the lowest of the core Sprites is +3 LA, needing a 4th level game to work 'normally'.

Links and stuff

There's the Feytouched. Fiend Folio, I believe.
Thank you both, I may go with the Feytouched, actually.

veven
2011-01-09, 09:48 PM
One of my favorite Fey, The Jaebrin, are LA +1. They are not really fairies though not even close...sort of yellow skinned pointy teethed tricksters with absolutely hilarious speech patterns. Their favored class is the beguiler, which is another favorite of mine.

They are in MM5

Morquard
2011-01-09, 09:55 PM
You can always use the rules for LA species in Savage Species, where its described how you convert them into seperate levels.
Disadvantage is that the first 3 or 4 levels or so she'd had to take levels in her race, before she can actually take classlevels.

Flickerdart
2011-01-09, 09:55 PM
Half-fey template (Fiend Folio, 2 LA) is one of the few templates actually worth a damn, and has a progression (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040213a). Start her as some sort of elf and then let her take the progression.

Trekkin
2011-01-09, 10:01 PM
There is the Unseelie Fey template from the Dragon Compendium. +0 LA for wings, minor magic, Charisma boosts, and so forth. That on an elf would make a passable fairy queen.

Dsurion
2011-01-09, 10:12 PM
There is the Unseelie Fey template from the Dragon Compendium. +0 LA for wings, minor magic, Charisma boosts, and so forth. That on an elf would make a passable fairy queen.

That's definitely an appealing option. Unfortunately I don't have any of the Dragon stuff to get any specifics, but sounds good for someone contemplating sorcerer (which is exactly what she's doing).

By the way, I appreciate everyone contributing. There's a lot more out there than I realized. Choices, choices! :smalltongue:

Trekkin
2011-01-09, 10:21 PM
That's definitely an appealing option. Unfortunately I don't have any of the Dragon stuff to get any specifics, but sounds good for someone contemplating sorcerer (which is exactly what she's doing).

By the way, I appreciate everyone contributing. There's a lot more out there than I realized. Choices, choices! :smalltongue:

This (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml) has most of the Unseelie Fey template.

Flickerdart
2011-01-09, 10:44 PM
This (http://www.realmshelps.net/monsters/templates/unseeliefey.shtml) has most of the Unseelie Fey template.
That has no listed LA, and thus isn't actually a playable race. The powers it grants would be worth at least 1 LA, since it gets some shiny abilities.

Redrat2k6
2011-01-09, 10:57 PM
The Petal from MM3 is a +2 LA race that is a literal tiny fairy. My sister wanted to play a fairy once and I had her play one of these. She loved it.

Trekkin
2011-01-09, 11:07 PM
That has no listed LA, and thus isn't actually a playable race. The powers it grants would be worth at least 1 LA, since it gets some shiny abilities.

It's also not Dragon, where it was originally listed with 0 LA. I linked it to show the general idea of the template.

Darrin
2011-01-09, 11:13 PM
Two other LA +0 fey that haven't been mentioned yet:

Jermlaine (MM2). Tiny-sized, but the stats make it unsuitable for anything other than a druid.

Faun (Deities & Demigods). Medium-sized, +2 Dex, -2 Wis, -2 Cha. Not really worth it, unless you're trying to abuse alter self.

Killoren, Duskling, or Savage Progression Feytouched are probably your best bet for LA +0.

Psyren
2011-01-10, 12:08 AM
What source is this from?

Star Elves are from Races of Faerun IIRC. +2 Cha -2 Con, so she'd be exceedingly pretty.

Trekkin
2011-01-10, 01:19 AM
So an Unseelie Star Elf has +4 Cha -4 Con. That certainly seems to fit the concept, although that's a large penalty to deal with.

I suppose you could always go undead, from a metagame standpoint...

Coidzor
2011-01-10, 01:28 AM
I think there's some Fey (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/arch/fey)or Elf/FR feat that allows one to get CHA to HP... Or maybe I'm confusing Faerie Mysteries Initiate with other things right now. :/

There's this for the first level, at least. (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/fey/20030815a)

And there's a Blood of Vol ritual from the Player's Guide to Eberron (as hard to skim for the crunch they hid amongst the fluff as it is) that's possible to do multiple times at the expense of one's Con to get Cha to HP. Though that synergizes better with a plan to go undead/construct at some point to just lose the con score...

There are ways to rekey one's fort save though.

Draz74
2011-01-10, 02:06 AM
I say just go with the Feytouched, and eventually pick up the additional +1 LA to use the "transition class (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040319a)" to become Half-Fey.

Serpentine
2011-01-10, 02:16 AM
Elves are the original old-style "faerie princess", so you can just fey-up the elves, as already mentioned. There's also various different kinds of them, too. Really depends what she means by "fairy princess" - the old seelie court that lived in hidden underground kingdoms which one could find by following a white hart or a fairy parade, or a winged sprite riding about on a ladybeetle-drawn leaf-carriage?
If you're interested in some LA races, my idea of allowing the player to take NPC classes to buy of LA seemed fairly well supported.

I think all the others have been mentioned already.

By the way, there's one or two classes that result in the character gaining the Fey subtype. Wildrunner is one, I believe.

mabriss lethe
2011-01-10, 03:49 AM
There are also the fey heritage feats. ...from... Complete mage, I think. (they go pretty well with Warlock)