PDA

View Full Version : 3.5 Barbarian, prestige and/or original

Tarmikos
2011-01-09, 09:01 PM
So, playing a campaign, starting at level 5, and as the meat shield, playing a barbarian. Thing is, I either want to prestige, or play with some originality. So my questions are:

1) What prestige classes are ideal for a barbarian? I've already looked at Bear Warrior and Frenzied Berserker, but looking for more ideas.

2) What would be the best way to go about making an original barbarian? This can be pure barbarian, prestige, or even splashing in a bit of another class, as long as it stays true to being a front line fighter/meat shield

TehLivingDeath
2011-01-09, 09:06 PM
Champion of Gwynharwyf (I always have to google that name) is pretty cool, though possibly MAD.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-09, 09:22 PM
So, playing a campaign, starting at level 5, and as the meat shield, playing a barbarian. Thing is, I either want to prestige, or play with some originality. So my questions are:

1) What prestige classes are ideal for a barbarian? I've already looked at Bear Warrior and Frenzied Berserker, but looking for more ideas.

2) What would be the best way to go about making an original barbarian? This can be pure barbarian, prestige, or even splashing in a bit of another class, as long as it stays true to being a front line fighter/meat shield
Prc that fits Barbarian decently:
Disciple of Bharri = turn into a bear like Bear Warrior (but at will). + cast SLA of Call lighting.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-09, 09:28 PM

Those are pretty much the best.

Just pick some elements of a character that most wouldn't associate with a barbarian: make a gnome barbarian. have them wield two short swords. take vow of poverty. Anything that wouldn't seem like a conventional large, dumb barbarian with a large axe.

Half-orc Bard
2011-01-09, 09:56 PM
Monk drop fist of the forest (CC) then drunken master. The high Con of the Barbarian goes great with FotF and drunken master so you can fight using flower petals

Flickerdart
2011-01-09, 10:05 PM
There is a feat that lets you share rage with your mount. Halfling Barbarian/Halfling Outrider, then stack up all the rage feats you can. Your mount is the real fighter of the pair, you just sit on top and look cool.

Urpriest
2011-01-09, 11:01 PM
Two choices that are fairly conventional on these boards, but you might not be aware of:

The Totemist and Totem Rager from Magic of Incarnum mix with Barbarian to give you a bunch of natural attacks and combat options making you a bizarre blue beast.

Intimidating Rage+Instantaneous Rage (Complete Warrior)+Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark)+Never Outnumbered skill trick (Complete Scoundrel) = You can go into a rage whenever you want, even when it's someone else's turn or you're surprised, and when you do you get to make an intimidate check against all nearby enemies, and if you succeed they cower for a round. So if someone tries to cast a spell at you, you yell at them and they forget about the spell and cower before you.

Psyren
2011-01-10, 12:17 AM
If you like psionics and don't mind 3rd party, Hyperconscious has the very unique Cerebral Rager PrC, which lets you kill enemies with a look and rage mentally. (i.e. enhancing mental ability scores instead of physical.) You can of course manifest powers while raging this way.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-01-10, 12:51 AM
You could take Suel Arcanamach into Rage Mage, and be able to cast while raging. There are plenty of swift action spells like Wraithstrike, and you can pick up a Circlet of Rapid Casting so you can buff yourself without sacrificing your full attack. Something like Barbarian 4/ Hexblade or Duskblade 2/ Suel Arcanamach 2/ Rage Mage 7/ Abjurant Champion 5 should work out well. I'd get two Abjurant Champion levels asap for casting Shield as a swift action, then get Rage Mage, and be sure to take Practiced Spellcaster.

dgnslyr
2011-01-10, 01:00 AM
Fist of the Forest? You get to add your CON mod to your AC, not bad at all. Also, you can punch things harder and SMELL THE FEAR OF YOUR FOES. Or maybe just their soiled pants, it's hard to tell when you've just BITTEN OFF SOMEONE'S HEAD.

Perhaps the Barbarian Handbook (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=105525) could be of aid?

sonofzeal
2011-01-10, 01:04 AM
Runescarred Berserker (Unapproachable East I believe?) and Champion of Gwynharwyf (BoED) are good for added flexibility.

Berserker (Deities and Demigods), Frenzied Berzerker (CW), and Bear Warrior (CW) are good at building on your strengths.

Beyond that, the same classes that are good for Fighters are good for you, for the most part. Check my sig for the PrC Tier system.

Darrin
2011-01-10, 07:59 AM
+1 to Runescarred Berserker and Fist of the Forest. Actually, if you're doing anything monk- or fist-related, you might want to go into Shou Disciple (Unapproachable East) first.

If you're a dwarf or take 3 levels of Stoneblessed, I've always thought Person_Man's Frozen Dwarf Hulk Smash! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50588) would be fun to play. Adding some of his Flaming Homer (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4108954&postcount=22) or just six levels of Dungeon Crasher + Knockback is lots of fun.

When I was running a halfling barbarian, I steered him towards Knight of the Middle Circle (Defenders of the Faith, 3.0 but not updated and thus still legal for 3.5). Combat Sense is a little like free BAB, which you can invest into Power Attack. Also gets a few divine spells, although Holy Liberator/Pious Templar + Battle Blessing is probably better for that, particularly if you have access to the paladin spells in the Spell Compendium.

Thespianus
2011-01-10, 08:52 AM
Intimidating Rage+Instantaneous Rage (Complete Warrior)+Imperious Command (Drow of the Underdark)+Never Outnumbered skill trick (Complete Scoundrel) = You can go into a rage whenever you want, even when it's someone else's turn or you're surprised, and when you do you get to make an intimidate check against all nearby enemies, and if you succeed they cower for a round.
For extra fun, check Crystal Keep D20 for the Barbarian ACF Fearless Gaze (it's in some Dragon magazine. Some DMs will allow it).

The ACF keys Intimidate off Strength instead of Charisma, and you get a (I believe) untyped +4 bonus to the Intimidation Check. This kicks in at Level 7, I believe.

Person_Man
2011-01-10, 10:50 AM
The best Barbarian PrC are Totem Rager (requires Totemist), War Hulk (requires Large size), Deepwarden (requires Dwarf), un-errata'd Weretouched Master (requires Shifter), Frostrager, Fist of the Forest, Frenzied Berseker, and Runescarred Berserker. I would also consider a 1 level dip into Bear Warrior for certain specific builds (7/9 of it's other levels are basically dead). And the Landforged Walker (Secrets of Xen'driks) has easy entry and the weird Plant Shape ability, which lets you Wildshape into a plant of any size from Small to Huge, with your character level as your effective Druid level for determination of duration and maximum hit dice.

What's your race and books allowed?

Lord Loss
2011-01-10, 02:15 PM
For a truly unique twist on the bard, allow me to suggest the BardBarian a PrC cross between bard and barbarian

Here it is, made by yours truly! (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=8496985#post8496985)

Asur
2011-01-10, 02:38 PM
Just 3.5, or can we use Pathfinder? In the Advanced Players Guide each class is given the option of alternate abilities. If you're looking to be a meat shield check out the Invincible Rager option. You give up trap finding and improved dodge/uncanny dodge for a bunch of DR and some elemental resistance.

Cerlis
2011-01-10, 02:45 PM
as for tanking, I'd like to remind you a barbarian could very well be the more vulgar intense ragey soldier, and nothing says that like a warrior using his shield to bash someone in the head. You can use the shield defensively when you have a hard hitter, and offensively when you think you can manage without your shield.

Tarmikos
2011-01-10, 03:33 PM
What's your race and books allowed?

At the DM's suggestion, and on thinking on it, I've chosen to go Dwarf.
Books allowed are pretty much any, but no home brew. I also am not sure about alternate class features, as I've had no luck on the sell with those yet, least with this DM

Also, starting level is 5, and will go to 15, if that helps any.

Keld Denar
2011-01-10, 03:47 PM
If you have a 12+ int, you can get into Deepwarden pretty easily with Ranger1/Fighter2/Barbarian2. You'll want Extra Rage so you can rage more than just once per combat. From there, Deepwarden2 is a solid investment. You're AC won't actually go down when you rage, since you're AC is based on your Con and your Con bonus goes up 2 points to offset the penalty.

From there, if you go unarmed, Fist of the Forest/Frostrager/BearWarrior/Warshaper is a good route. If you want to keep a weapon, I'm partial to Occult Slayer and/or Pious Templar as finishers. Not amazing PrCs, but full BAB and they have some useful abilities.

Doughnut Master
2011-01-10, 05:35 PM
There is a feat that lets you share rage with your mount. Halfling Barbarian/Halfling Outrider, then stack up all the rage feats you can. Your mount is the real fighter of the pair, you just sit on top and look cool.

Master Blaster?