PDA

View Full Version : Mindspy and MotUH

Cerlis
2011-01-10, 02:11 AM
Ok. I really love the flavor of these classes (or i suppose of a character who can do what these do), dont see a thread about this everyday, ect...

It all has to do with being interested int he Combat sorcerer variant. 1 less spell slot and spell known per level doesnt seem that bad fora sorcerer's increased mortality and efficiency.

I was wondering everyone's main issues and and recomendations to making a "warrior wizard" out of a Combat sorcerer with one of these PrCs.

I realized the Mindspy only requires third level for 2 uses of its key spell, and has d8 hitdice and full BaB and a bit better AC. so other than the fact that it only gains class features that make Detect thoughts useable AT ALL, in combat. Well compared to a fighter, not that horrible (For someone not interested in optimizing).

The MotUH, though a smaller hitdice can do some pretty usefull stuff with his mastery (though it requires a high level spell). I have this image of someone carrying a bag of arrows/daggers/15swords around, moving his allies into optimal position in combat and modifying the battlefield all with one spell. And at higher level he can do all this while casting other spells..

Basically if there are any unique feats that would help the insightful melee fighter mindspy, or the combat telekinetic sorcerer, i'd appreciate any insight (other than "Dont do it")
------------------

while the previous stand, i do know how horrible WotC's attempts at some of these gish prestigeclasses are. My final question is do you think that these PrCs would be perfectly fine if they kept full casting every level. It would be really cool to have a combat sorcerer who used MotUH abilities, other spells and when he gets low on firepower can always melee decently with his detect thoughts mindspy ability. (you'd soon get out of mindspy just in time to get MotUH)

and keep in mind as i've tried to indicate i know the limitations and this would all be under the idea that this character is the "5th" character. (the one the party doesnt rely on but is very useful)

Hyfigh
2011-01-10, 09:06 AM
Without getting your DM to allow full casting in both of those PrC's you're going to be less effective than your party Fighter. You won't get full BAB, you won't get very many feats to make your fighting abilities worth anything, and without full casting you won't be able to use your magic very well. You'll be taking a big enough hit being a Combat Sorcerer (fewer spells known and able to cast is actually way more of a hinderance than you've described).

I actually don't see much need for you to work in gish-style play when your attacks with MotUH works on caster level. 5 levels of Abjurant Champion could boost your CL to match your BAB, I suppose... But then why bother with building your casting at all?

Every play an un-optimized PHB Bard? Yea, you'd function worse than that without gaining full casting.

Person_Man
2011-01-10, 10:25 AM
Entry into Mindspy is fairly easy. Truth domain (Races of Eberron) allows you to cast Detect Thoughts as your 1st level domain spell. Or you can get it with a Ring of Truth Telling (27,000 gp Champions of Valor pg 69). Unfortunately, all of your class abilities suck. So there's really not much to work with once you're in the class.

Master of the Unseen Hand is actually a decent PrC, for a Ghost (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/sp/20040117a).