PDA

View Full Version : Using Video Clips (or is it okay if I ask how)

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 02:19 AM
So, I want to start this thread and one of the topics I want to bring up is how do you...well...take a clip from a movie (from I guess a DVD) and use it in something. I'm not asking how in this thread, but I asking could I bring this up in a thread. Like it seems like a legal issues because it be using copyrighted stuff, but I'm doing something that would count as satire which I'm pretty sure is okay so long as it's satire or parody and in this thing I would credit the source of the clip saying the film, year, copyright date. I guess what I'm asking is can I ask how does one take clips from a movie and splice it into something (so long as it's satire or something like that and isn't something like bootlegging)?

Fri
2011-01-10, 03:12 AM
So, I want to start this thread and one of the topics I want to bring up is how do you...well...take a clip from a movie (from I guess a DVD) and use it in something. I'm not asking how in this thread, but I asking could I bring this up in a thread. Like it seems like a legal issues because it be using copyrighted stuff, but I'm doing something that would count as satire which I'm pretty sure is okay so long as it's satire or parody and in this thing I would credit the source of the clip saying the film, year, copyright date. I guess what I'm asking is can I ask how does one take clips from a movie and splice it into something (so long as it's satire or something like that and isn't something like bootlegging)?

One way is to use a video decoder/encoder and a video editing program like... I don't know much, but something like windows movie maker.

Basically, you decode and encode the video you want to an editable format, then edit it with the video editor.

Jimorian
2011-01-10, 03:32 AM
If you started a thread that talked strictly about the methods and procedures of converting unencrypted and unprotected files and importing and using them in various editing software, you'd probably be OK.

ANY kind of discussion about decrypting or converting copyrighted files would be completely off limits, because determining what is and isn't allowed under Fair Use Doctrine, including satire/parody, is a legal opinion, and talking about how to decrypt protected material falls under discussing illegal acts, even if there may be legal reasons to do so.

So basically, you'd be treading on a minefield here.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 03:42 AM
One way is to use a video decoder/encoder and a video editing program like... I don't know much, but something like windows movie maker.

Basically, you decode and encode the video you want to an editable format, then edit it with the video editor.

Sweet. The program I have is window movie maker.

If you started a thread that talked strictly about the methods and procedures of converting unencrypted and unprotected files and importing and using them in various editing software, you'd probably be OK.

ANY kind of discussion about decrypting or converting copyrighted files would be completely off limits, because determining what is and isn't allowed under Fair Use Doctrine, including satire/parody, is a legal opinion, and talking about how to decrypt protected material falls under discussing illegal acts, even if there may be legal reasons to do so.

Okay. Now all I need to do is learn how to convert unencrypted files...and learn what that means.

Fri
2011-01-10, 03:49 AM
Sweet. The program I have is window movie maker.

Windows movie maker is a video editor, but I don't think that it's a video encoder/decoder. You have to find a separate program to decode/encode movie files.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 03:58 AM
Windows movie maker is a video editor, but I don't think that it's a video encoder/decoder. You have to find a separate program to decode/encode movie files.

Any recommendations?

Jimorian
2011-01-10, 04:36 AM
Any recommendations?

Start a thread in the appropriate forum. :smalltongue:

(Arts and Crafts I presume. Since I edit video professionally, I'll have some recommendations for you.)

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 05:13 AM
Start a thread in the appropriate forum. :smalltongue:

(Arts and Crafts I presume. Since I edit video professionally, I'll have some recommendations for you.)

Way ahead of you. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10130439#post10130439)

Douglas
2011-01-10, 06:51 AM
Isn't it usual practice to wait for a mod to weigh in on questions like this? Not that I'm disputing the answer, I agree you should be fine as long as you steer clear of anything resembling breaking encryption and copyright protection, but all posts so far are fellow non-mod forumites.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-10, 12:22 PM
It's not clear what you intend to do with these video clips, which makes it difficult to say how appropriate this would be. You say that it would be satire/parody, but not every non-serious use is a satire/parody. Would you actually be parodying the underlying clip?

More data needed.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 01:43 PM
It's not clear what you intend to do with these video clips, which makes it difficult to say how appropriate this would be. You say that it would be satire/parody, but not every non-serious use is a satire/parody. Would you actually be parodying the underlying clip?

More data needed.

Internet reviews.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-10, 01:50 PM
Internet reviews.
That isn't parody; it's commentary. Unless you mean satirical reviews. Regardless, as long as you are commenting on/reviewing the video clip, I don't think we have a problem with it unless the content of the clips or discussion are somehow inappropriate. That's from a moderation point of view.

You may want to wait for Rawhide to comment on any technical issues.

Also, while I'm a big fan of concision, your terseness isn't really helping you here.

Keld Denar
2011-01-10, 01:55 PM
Isn't critical review covered under "fair use", just like satire and scholarly discussion?

NerfTW
2011-01-10, 01:58 PM
You might be far better off doing a google search and looking for a detailed how to than expecting anyone to walk you through the entire process on a message board. And even if you do need someone to walk you through it, a more tech oriented board might be a better idea.

Start putting search terms into Google and see what you find. Because it really sounds from this thread that you're going to have to start from the very basics.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 02:41 PM
Isn't critical review covered under "fair use", just like satire and scholarly discussion?

Yeah, I think I meant fair use rather than just satire.

Jimorian
2011-01-10, 05:57 PM
Isn't it usual practice to wait for a mod to weigh in on questions like this? Not that I'm disputing the answer, I agree you should be fine as long as you steer clear of anything resembling breaking encryption and copyright protection, but all posts so far are fellow non-mod forumites.

This is a good point and one to keep in mind until there is a ruling. My intention was and is to only talk about the technical aspects of converting/editing/exporting, and not deal in any way with bringing in outside source materials until we're clear what's OK or not.

Most of my personal projects deal with 100% content created by me or for me, or are projects for the station and school I work with where it's also fully created or approved content.

grimbold
2011-01-15, 03:00 AM

i agree this could really hurt you if you screw up so my advice would be, be VERY careful with all the copyright laws and whatnot

Dr.Epic
2011-01-15, 06:12 AM
i agree this could really hurt you if you screw up so my advice would be, be VERY careful with all the copyright laws and whatnot

I could still ask for movies/shows to review? That wouldn't come off as violating the rules would it? I guess I could ask for movies/shows that fit the qualifications of what I'd like to review and never mention what it's for (although, there are some other things I'd like to discuss and I'd have to mention these are for a review to do so).

Dr.Epic
2011-01-19, 09:21 PM
Hey, sorry for the double post, but I'm still wondering if I can make a thread about me reviewing stuff. It would just be like "what films should I review in this genre; please give suggestions," and "I'm thinking of playing being this character in these reviews: what do you think," and "should I do this in these reviews or will that be annoying" type stuff.

Fri
2011-01-20, 09:15 AM
That isn't parody; it's commentary. Unless you mean satirical reviews. Regardless, as long as you are commenting on/reviewing the video clip, I don't think we have a problem with it unless the content of the clips or discussion are somehow inappropriate. That's from a moderation point of view.

You may want to wait for Rawhide to comment on any technical issues.

Also, while I'm a big fan of concision, your terseness isn't really helping you here.

I think roland already said ok, dr.epic. You're doing this actually only hurting yourself, in, you're seemingly really wanting to do crime.

If this isn't allowed, Let's Plays also wouldn't be allowed, since Let's play is basically game reviews.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-20, 01:07 PM
I think roland already said ok, dr.epic. You're doing this actually only hurting yourself, in, you're seemingly really wanting to do crime.

Well I just want to be sure I'm not violating any rules. Better safe than sorry.

If this isn't allowed, Let's Plays also wouldn't be allowed, since Let's play is basically game reviews.

Cool! I'm going to start a thread for my reviews soon.:smallbiggrin:

Jimorian
2011-01-20, 08:56 PM

Well, reviews are always allowed, and Let's Plays only use still pictures of the game in progress, not part of the game code.

The dodgy question isn't even whether using movie clips in a review is allowed, that's specifically part of Fair Use and pretty universally accepted as long as the clips are short. The dodgy question is that Dr. Epic wanted advice on how to create the clips, and that involves software and techniques that clearly break the law in other contexts.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-21, 01:52 AM
Sheriff: Keep them very short and make sure you're actually talking about them (and not using them to create some other work or show some tangential point). And just discussing the scene without actually excerpting the piece of the film (which invites the question of whether you have the film legally in media from which you made the clip and whether you kept the clip short enough and otherwise complied with fair use).

Of course, you remain responsible for any liability or criminal culpability for anything you produce. We're not your lawyers and make no claims about whether you propose is legal.