PDA

View Full Version : The Unfinished Business of Roy's Ghost

LuPuWei
2011-01-10, 10:37 AM
I just realised something: Roy's sword (as mentioned here (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0297.html)) is harmful to the undead since it was reforged with Starmetal inside.

I have also not seen anyone contacting or being contacted via the sword ever since. Could this be an effect of the Starmetal? Warding off ghosts as well as Combat-related Undead?

I'm unaware of the mechanics of such boosts in D&D, so any enlightenment would be welcome. And of course, stop me if this has been answered before :smalltongue:

headmonkeyboy
2011-01-10, 10:44 AM
Im assuming in this case that it just isnt needed in the story for roys dad to pop up. that and we have enought drama with ELANs dad as it is. XD

Leecros
2011-01-10, 11:12 AM
It may simply just be something that hasn't come up yet. Except for the one incident where Roy was trying to talk to Haley while she was holding the sword. It's something that Eugene hasn't tried yet. I'm assuming Eugene knows that the sword has been reforged with starmetal and he hasn't seemed too worried about it or at least he hasn't expressed that worry to Roy.

and the situation with Roy not being able to contact Haley when she was holding the sword could simply be the fact that Haley isn't related to Roy and it's the Greenhilt ancestral sword, not the Starshine ancestral sword.

So it may just be something that no one has tried yet when the circumstances have been correct.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-10, 12:45 PM
The Upper Planes have specific rules about whom you can manifest to. "Coworkers" isn't on that list. Last page of Start of Darkness.

grimbold
2011-01-10, 01:01 PM
[QUOTE=Leecros;10131404]
and the situation with Roy not being able to contact Haley when she was holding the sword could simply be the fact that Haley isn't related to Roy and it's the Greenhilt ancestral sword, not the Starshine ancestral sword.
/QUOTE]
i am pretty sure it is said somewhere in the strip that only family can contact each other from the grave.

faustin
2011-01-10, 01:06 PM
Eugene promised Roy to show up only when Xykon recovered his phylactery and went to the Gate. The OotS has already enough problems with the whole "Empire of Blood" plot to add the lich too.

Swordpriest
2011-01-10, 01:33 PM
Maybe he just met up with a hot new lady Oathspirit and is distracted for the time being. :smallamused:

NerfTW
2011-01-10, 02:01 PM
Eugene promised Roy to show up only when Xykon recovered his phylactery and went to the Gate. The OotS has already enough problems with the whole "Empire of Blood" plot to add the lich too.

Exactly. Xykon hasn't moved for the gate yet. Eugene hasn't had to contact Roy, because Xykon hasn't left Azure City for anything other than a quick trip to the Oracle, which failed.

Lemonus
2011-01-16, 09:46 PM
I think that Roy couldn't visit people is because it would have been bad for the plot if he could have.

Leecros
2011-01-17, 12:49 PM
i am pretty sure it is said somewhere in the strip that only family can contact each other from the grave.
I seem to recall that too, now that you mention it. So i'm just going to go with an analysis that no one has tried yet.

LuPuWei
2011-01-17, 02:42 PM
I seem to recall that too, now that you mention it. So i'm just going to go with an analysis that no one has tried yet.

The 4th post in this thread by Kurald Galain says that the question has been specifically dealt with in SoD (which I do not have, sadly)

NerfTW
2011-01-17, 08:28 PM
Also, Roy wasn't an oath spirit like Eugene was. He was using a different means to watch everyone (and talk to the Oracle).

Eugene himself, though, was told
that he can only manifest to family members., and then only Roy, his eldest. But that was only due to the oath spirit issue.

We haven't been told what prevents a normal ghost from talking to the living.

LuPuWei
2011-01-18, 12:43 AM
Also, Roy wasn't an oath spirit like Eugene was. He was using a different means to watch everyone (and talk to the Oracle).

Eugene himself, though, was told
that he can only manifest to family members., and then only Roy, his eldest. But that was only due to the oath spirit issue.

We haven't been told what prevents a normal ghost from talking to the living.

Well, thanks! That means my theory might still hold true!:smallbiggrin:

Kurald Galain
2011-01-18, 01:19 AM
Also, Roy wasn't an oath spirit like Eugene was.

Yes he was - this is stated in DSTP.

LuPuWei
2011-01-18, 01:26 AM
Yes he was - this is stated in DSTP.

How could he be an oath spirit when he tries to contact Haley? He's already been let into heaven and could stay there if he wanted to...

MoonCat
2011-01-18, 01:55 AM
How could he be an oath spirit when he tries to contact Haley? He's already been let into heaven and could stay there if he wanted to...

He still had the oath attached to him, but the circumstances of his death and behavior during life allows him to enter the afterlife.

doodthedud
2011-01-18, 08:18 PM
http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0291.html

Talking about the sword. Family relic that allowed him to bypass the rules for normal spirits. (panels 8-10)

LuPuWei
2011-01-24, 01:43 PM
Anyway, this seems like as good a time as any for Roy's dad to manifest again :smallbiggrin: (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0769.html)