PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] New spell: Suggestions/Opinions?

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 10:56 AM
I would like the playgrounds opinion on this spell before I show it to my DM. Is it level appripriate? I was thinking of a 0, 1st, or 2nd level for this spell.

PURIFY AIR
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 1, Cleric 1
Components: V, S, M
Casting Time: 1 standard action
Range: Close (25ft + 5ft/2 levels)
Area: Two 5ft cubes + one 5ft cube/level
Duration: Instantaneous
Saving Throw: None
Spell Resistance: No

As you throw a pinch of salt into the air, the smoke, gas, and dust in the air evaporate, leaving behind fresh clean air.

When you cast this spell, the air in the target area becomes pure breathable air. That means it’s about 78% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, with about 2% other inert gasses. Each 5ft cube of this spell must touch each other and all 5ft cubes must be within range of the caster. This spell automatically cleanses non-magical smog, smoke, mist, poisonous gasses, and vapors. If there is a magical effect in the area, such as obscuring mist, caustic smoke, or cloud kill, you must make a caster check of 11 + the caster level of the spell to purify the air in that area.

The purified air is subject to wind just like other spells like obscuring mist. Air elementals caught in the spells area heal 1d4 points of damage per caster level (max 10d4 healing).

The material component of this spell is a pinch of salt.

Edit: Newest version

CONVERT ATMOSPHERE
Transmutation
Level: Sorcerer/Wizard 2, Cleric 2
Area: One 5ft cubes + one 5ft cube/2 level

As you throw a pinch of salt into the air, the smoke, gas, and dust in the air evaporate, leaving behind fresh clean air.

When you cast this spell, the air in the target area is converted to pure breathable air. That means it’s 78% nitrogen, 20% oxygen, and about 2% other inert gasses. Each 5ft cube of this spell must touch each other and all 5ft cubes must be within range of the caster. This spell automatically cleanses non-magical smog, clouds, smoke, mist, poisonous gasses, and vapors. If there is magical smog, clouds, smoke, mist, gas, or vapors in the area, such as obscuring mist, caustic smoke, or cloud kill, you must make a caster check of 11 + the caster level of the spell to convert the air in that area.

The converted air is subject to winds and other environmental factors. Converting air above a bon fire will just fill with smoke again very quickly. The material component of this spell is a pinch of salt.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-10, 10:58 AM
Well, it should be in homebrew, not roleplaying, but I have serious qualms about granting a level 1 character immunity to all aerial poisons.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 11:00 AM
Well, it should be in homebrew, not roleplaying, but I have serious qualms about granting a level 1 character immunity to all aerial poisons.

Would you think this should be a 2nd level spell then? We are in a homebrew world, but we are using 3.5 rules. And, it's not the first time we have created a new spell.

dextercorvia
2011-01-10, 11:03 AM
The area seems quite large for a 1st level spell. I would say 1 5 ft cube + 1/2 levels. I'm not sure about removing magical effects. This would make it better than Dispel Magic at removing a certain (rather large) class of spells -- And it heals considerable damage on an Air elemental. I'm fairly certain that can be abused. I would drop the last two effects and reduce the area as mentioned.

Edit: As written, I would put it as a 4th level spell. It's effects are weaker than most good 4th level spells, but it is much more versatile than a 3rd level spell. And I still think the d4/CL Healing is too much. Most spells with a Healing rider just heal 1d6 or 1d6+CL, something like that.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 11:07 AM
The area seems quite large for a 1st level spell. I would say 1 5 ft cube + 1/2 levels. I'm not sure about removing magical effects. This would make it better than Dispel Magic at removing a certain (rather large) class of spells -- And it heals considerable damage on an Air elemental. I'm fairly certain that can be abused. I would drop the last two effects and reduce the area as mentioned.

I could change the area.

Area: One 5ft cube + one 5ft cube/2 levels.

I'll remove the "healing" effect for air elementals, but I would like to keep the ability to "purify" magical smoke, smog, and clouds in the overlapping areas.

Cyrion
2011-01-10, 11:30 AM
You might want to set a temporary duration, especially against magical effects. Most fog clouds, etc. require at least a gust of wind (3rd level) to permanently disperse them. Perhaps something like if you can't purify the entire area of a magical smoke/fog/cloud, you only clear it for 1d6 rounds - 1 round for every level difference between the two spells (minimum 1 round) before the other effect rolls back in and takes effect again.

Combat Reflexes
2011-01-10, 11:35 AM
And if the spell was temporary, say, 1 round/level, it could grant air elementals a small bonus, maybe a +2 morale bonus to AC or fast healing 1.

and gust of wind is 2nd level IIRC (not important)

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 11:35 AM
Ok, I think I've got a good idea of how to change it. I think I will stick with 2nd level and make the dispelling of magical smog, smoke, clouds only temporary (even if the dispelling works).

Tyndmyr
2011-01-10, 11:44 AM
I could change the area.

Area: One 5ft cube + one 5ft cube/2 levels.

I'll remove the "healing" effect for air elementals, but I would like to keep the ability to "purify" magical smoke, smog, and clouds in the overlapping areas.

This and 2nd level would be quite appropriate, imo.

Vladislav
2011-01-10, 11:45 AM
*coughwarforgedcough*

Ok, seriously, it's not "immunity", it's a spell slot that has to be prepared and successfully cast. And it's very situational. The massive healing of air elementals, I would remove, because it just screams "abuse me!", but just neutralizing aerial poisons and effects is really no big deal.

Tyndmyr
2011-01-10, 11:53 AM
Actually, I'd drop the caster level check as well.

dextercorvia
2011-01-10, 12:09 PM
Without the CL check it precisely and completely negates Solid Fog, Acid Fog, Freezing Fog, Cloudkill, and I'm sure other much higher level (than itself) spells. Even with the CL check (without a CL cap) it is better than Dispel Magic and Gust of Wind at dealing with a broad classification of spells. This isn't a bad thing, but is still not a 2nd level spell.

The Purify thing is also more of a divine thing. I can see this as a Cleric/Druid spell, but not so much a Wizard spell.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 12:21 PM
Without the CL check it precisely and completely negates Solid Fog, Acid Fog, Freezing Fog, Cloudkill, and I'm sure other much higher level (than itself) spells. Even with the CL check (without a CL cap) it is better than Dispel Magic and Gust of Wind at dealing with a broad classification of spells. This isn't a bad thing, but is still not a 2nd level spell.

The Purify thing is also more of a divine thing. I can see this as a Cleric/Druid spell, but not so much a Wizard spell.

The main reason I wanted to create this spell is to make a breathable atmosphere inside something that was sealed. I thought of "Transmutation" as soon as I thought of this spell. I wanted a spell that can turn deadly "carbon monoxide" back into oxygen for breating. The removal of the fog, clouds, smog, and smoke is just a side effect of making a normal breathable atmosphere. I wanted a CL check in cases where we encountered magical fogs, clouds, smog, and smoke. Plus, it's a really small area now. One 5ft cube + one 5ft cube/2 levels.

Edit: If the "purify" name of the spell is confusing, I could change it to "Convert Atmosphere" or "Transmute Atmosphere" if that makes it sound more arcane.

Tyndmyr
2011-01-10, 12:30 PM

It is, but dispel magic deals with just about everything, and gust of wind has other uses that this spell doesn't have. It's a pretty solid difference. Therefore, since it has more specificity, it should be better and/or lower in level. How much is somewhat subjective, but I see 2nd level as a decent place for somewhat specific spells to counter effects.

I can definitely see the divine argument here, and either making it higher level for arcane, or not arcane at all.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 12:36 PM
Here is the now revised spell. When you are a 3rd level caster, you can only affect two 5ft squares. So I think 2nd level is appropriate.

CONVERT ATMOSPHERE
Transmutation

When you cast this spell, the air in the target area becomes pure breathable air. That means it’s about 78% nitrogen and 20% oxygen, with about 2% other inert gasses. Each 5ft cube of this spell must touch each other and all 5ft cubes must be within range of the caster. This spell automatically cleanses non-magical smog, clouds, smoke, mist, poisonous gasses, and vapors. If there is a magical smog, clouds, smoke, mist, gas, or vapors in the area, such as obscuring mist, caustic smoke, or cloud kill, you must make a caster check of 11 + the caster level of the spell to purify the air in that area.

The purified air is subject to wind just like other spells like obscuring mist. The material component of this spell is a pinch of salt.

dextercorvia
2011-01-10, 04:01 PM
What would it do to creatures of a gaseous nature (any of a variety of Mephits, for example), or creatures affected by Gaseous Form?

I can see the argument for a 2nd level spell with the CL check. Druids should still get this spell, IMHO.

Toliudar
2011-01-10, 04:05 PM
Not to state the obvious, but it might be more useful to leave it at "air breathable by the caster" or "air consistent with the prime material plane" or somesuch, both because the D&D rules don't incorporate real elements, and because an Earth-similar atmosphere isn't necessarily ubiquitous.

Otherwise, it looks like an excellent have-on-a-scroll-just-in-case kind of spell.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 04:41 PM
What would it do to creatures of a gaseous nature (any of a variety of Mephits, for example), or creatures affected by Gaseous Form?

I can see the argument for a 2nd level spell with the CL check. Druids should still get this spell, IMHO.

Well, I could probably write into the spell that creatures in the spells area are complete unaffected by the spell, even if they are of the air subtype or something similar.

Not to state the obvious, but it might be more useful to leave it at "air breathable by the caster" or "air consistent with the prime material plane" or somesuch, both because the D&D rules don't incorporate real elements, and because an Earth-similar atmosphere isn't necessarily ubiquitous.

Otherwise, it looks like an excellent have-on-a-scroll-just-in-case kind of spell.

That's a good point. I couldn't think of a better wording than to give the elemental composition of the air. But, "air consistent with the prime material plane" or "air breathable by the caster" sounds a little more fantasy.

Edit: Newest version

CONVERT ATMOSPHERE
Transmutation

This spell was created by an Elf Wizard that was assigned as a diplomat to a Mountain Dwarf kingdom. During his first year there, he was accosted by all manner of smoke and unpleasant body odors from the dwarfs. With this spell, the elf could gain respite in his room with fresh clean air. All he had to do was throw a pinch of salt into the air, and then the smoke, gas, and dust in the air would evaporate.

When you cast this spell, the air in the target area is converted to pure breathable air. This fresh air is clean and easy to breathe. This spell cannot create an atmosphere where there is none, such as in a vacuum or in the ocean depths. Each 5ft cube of this spell must touch each other and all 5ft cubes must be within range of the caster. This spell automatically cleanses non-magical smog, clouds, smoke, mist, poisonous gasses, and vapors. If there is magical smog, clouds, smoke, mist, gas, or vapors in the area, such as obscuring mist, caustic smoke, or cloud kill, you must make a caster check of 11 + the caster level of the spell to convert the air in that area. This converted atmosphere has no effect on creatures of the air subtype, although they may notice that the air feels “new”.

The converted air is subject to winds and other environmental factors. Converting air above a bon fire will just fill with smoke again very quickly. The material component of this spell is a pinch of salt.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-10, 05:11 PM
Hmm, I don't know if you know this, but there's a much gayer version of this already, a fifth level spell called (I think) Dance of the Unicorn, from Complete Divine (I think).

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 05:16 PM
Hmm, I don't know if you know this, but there's a much (edited by Kansaschaser: dumber) version of this already, a fifth level spell called (I think) Dance of the Unicorn, from Complete Divine (I think).

Yeah, I saw that spell. I wanted a lesser version that was usable to "refresh" an atmosphere. When enclosed in a sealed chamber with only a certain ammount of air, I needed something that converts the carbon monoxide back to oxygen for breathing.

Edit: And No, I don't want to carry plants with me to convert carbon monoxide back to oxygen. I want to do it with a spell.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-10, 05:24 PM
*coughwarforgedcough*

Ok, seriously, it's not "immunity", it's a spell slot that has to be prepared and successfully cast. And it's very situational. The massive healing of air elementals, I would remove, because it just screams "abuse me!", but just neutralizing aerial poisons and effects is really no big deal.

I have made so many arguments on this forum against Warforged you don't even know :P

But yes, Warforged make this and many, many other things inconsequential. So would playing an ooze, but hey.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-10, 05:28 PM
I have made so many arguments on this forum against Warforged you don't even know :P

But yes, Warforged make this and many, many other things inconsequential. So would playing an ooze, but hey.

True, a Warforged wouldn't need to take this spell. They might as well take Gust of Wind if they want to disperse any of the smoke/cloud spells.

Unfortunatly, I did not play a Warforged. I played a stupid air-breathing human.

Vaynor
2011-01-10, 07:02 PM
The Red Towel: Moved to Homebrew.