PDA

View Full Version : Simple Q&A (By the RAW)

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7]

ski309
2007-02-22, 10:34 AM
Q604

If my character becomes poisoned and takes some initial ability damage, but then casts a spell like Amorphous Form which makes my character immune to poison, what happens?

a) Do I still take the secondary damage (if I fail the 2nd save)?
b) Do I keep the initial damage but not take the secondary damage?
c) Does the newfound poision immunity both save me from the secondary damage and heal the initial damage?
or d) other?

oriong
2007-02-22, 10:41 AM
A604

Option B, the damage remains (as would secondary damage if you shifted forms after one minute passed).

squishycube
2007-02-23, 04:37 AM
A604 Extra
The core rules don't really describe what immunity really is, how it works. Option B seems the most logical, but a good case for all three options proposed can be made in my opinion.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-23, 05:06 AM
A. 604 Extra Comment

What Immunity entails is best described in the spells related to protected against poison such as Delay Poison and Neutralize Poison.

Ad A) This explanation requires that the secondary damage is not directly related to poison, but are some sort of derived effect.

That explanation is inconsistent with the spell Delay Poison, where the subject through immunity is not required to make the secondary saves until the immunity expires.

The subject becomes temporarily immune to poison. Any poison in its system or any poison to which it is exposed during the spell’s duration does not affect the subject until the spell’s duration has expired. Delay poison does not cure any damage that poison may have already done.

Ad C) We know from above that we are "saved" from the secondary damage and now the question arises; Does our newfound immunity suddenly reverse the damage already done?

Such a mechanic would be highly unusual. In D&D healing is usually required to reverse damage and we also see in the description of Delay Poison (above) and even Neutralize Poison that there is no basis for such an argument.

You detoxify any sort of venom in the creature or object touched. A poisoned creature suffers no additional effects from the poison, and any temporary effects are ended, but the spell does not reverse instantaneous effects, such as hit point damage, temporary ability damage, or effects that don’t go away on their own.

The creature is immune to any poison it is exposed to during the duration of the spell. Unlike with delay poison, such effects aren’t postponed until after the duration —the creature need not make any saves against poison effects applied to it during the length of the spell.

clockwork warrior
2007-02-23, 04:37 PM
q 605

how many attempts can a bard try to weave a suggestion into his music (facinate +suggestion)?

Ryuuk
2007-02-23, 04:42 PM
Q 606

Lets say a Druid capable of wildshape takes level in a ToB class. Is there anything preventing him from using his maneuvers and stances while wildshaped? I'm not saying it would be efficient or broken, it just paints a rather quirky mental image.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-23, 04:47 PM
A. 605

He can keep trying until his Fascinate effect runs out.

If its saving throw fails, the creature sits quietly and listens to the song, taking no other actions, for as long as the bard continues to play and concentrate (up to a maximum of 1 round per bard level).
(My emphasis)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-23, 04:48 PM
A. 606

Not as long as he meets the requirements, if any.

clockwork warrior
2007-02-23, 06:40 PM
q 607

if you try to disarm with a whip, and hold it with two hands instead of one, do you get the +4 for disarming with a two handed weapon, or must it be a two handed weapon, and not a one handed weapon held in two hands?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-23, 07:03 PM
A 607
The whip wielder would gain the +4 bonus.

You can get a host of benefits from wielding a two- handed weapon, such as 1–1/2 times your Strength bonus on damage (and twice your damage bonus from the Power Attack feat) and a +4 bonus on your opposed attack roll if someone tries to disarm you. So when is a weapon “two- handed?” For example, a lance is a two-handed weapon, right? But you can wield it in one hand when you’re mounted. Since the weapons table shows that a lance is a two-handed weapon, I get all the two-handed benefits no matter how I wield the lance, right?

Wrong. Table 7–5 in the Player’s Handbook lists weapons as light, one-handed, or two-handed strictly as a matter of convenience. These size categories are always relative to the wielder’s size, as explained in some detail in the section on weapon size on page 113 in the Player’s Handbook (also see next question).

When the combat rules speak of “two-handed” weapons, they’re referring to how the weapon is being used. A Medium character using a Medium longsword in two hands is using a “two-handed” weapon. The same character using a Medium lance in one hand while mounted is using a one-handed weapon. Light weapons are an exception. If you wield a light weapon in two hands you get no advantage on damage (see page 113 in the Player’s Handbook). Likewise, you always take a –4 penalty on your opposed roll when you’re wielding a light weapon in a disarm attempt (when someone tries to disarm you oryou try to disarm someone) regardless of whether you wield it one-or two-handed.
(emphasis mine)

Dhavaer
2007-02-23, 08:28 PM
Q608

How does size affect telekinetic grappling and bullrushes? It doesn't seem as though an ogre should use telekinesis better than a gnome.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-24, 04:44 AM
A. 608

You are right.
The spell is silent on the matter, so perhaps Telekinesis should be treated as medium sized for these purposes, since medium size seems to be the default size, unless otherwise noted.

Cruiser1
2007-02-24, 05:37 AM
Q 609:

Another grapple question: When a creature without Improved Grapple attempts to gapple me, the rules say I get an attack of opportunity on it. Do I still get the AOO if the creature has reach and I don't?

It seems I shouldn't, since the creature can attack me and I can't attack it back from where I'm standing. However it seem I should, since a grapple implies the creature is next to me and holding onto me, as opposed to just quickly reaching out and striking me on its turn.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-24, 05:50 AM
A. 609

You have to threaten an enemy to make an Attack of Opportunity.
If you cannot reach the enemy you do not threaten.

Threatened Squares: You threaten all squares into which you can make a melee attack, even when it is not your action. Generally, that means everything in all squares adjacent to your space (including diagonally). An enemy that takes certain actions while in a threatened square provokes an attack of opportunity from you.
(My underlining)

The sage suggest that you might allow it as a house rule though.

If an enemy makes an attack against me that would provoke an attack of opportunity (such as a disarm or grapple attempt), do I get the attack of opportunity if I can’t reach him? ...

Strictly speaking, if you don’t threaten an enemy, you can’t make attacks of opportunity against that enemy. Thus, if an ogre tried to sunder your elf’s longsword from 10 feet away, you wouldn’t get an attack of opportunity against the ogre
(since an elf wielding a longsword doesn’t threaten an enemy 10 feet away). This is true even if the ogre is reaching out with his hand, such as when trying to grapple you.
If, as DM, this bothers your sensibilities and you and your players are willing to bend the letter of the rules a bit, consider the following house rule that the Sage has used in his games in the past: If a foe would provoke an attack of opportunity with
any action that brings him (or something he holds) into contact with you or your space, you may make an attack of opportunity against the foe (or the object he holds, if that’s what’s contacting you). This means that an ogre trying to initiate a grapple would provoke an attack of opportunity that you could make against the ogre (since his hand and arm are clearly coming within your reach to grab you), while the same ogre trying to sunder your weapon with his greatclub would provoke an attack of opportunity that you could make only against the greatclub (that is, with a disarm or sunder attempt).

crazedloon
2007-02-24, 12:46 PM
Q 610

How would monky grip interact with a Dervish's slashing blades if the oversized weapon is a light weapon?
Indeed could a Dirvish weild any sized scimitar as a light weapon?
Also how does a This ability work with power attack?

Slashing blades alows a dervish to treat a scimitar as a light weapon.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-24, 01:07 PM
A. 610

A medium sized Dervish with Monkey Grip could wield a scimitar sized for large creatures as a light weapon taking the normal -2 penalty to attack.

A Medium Dervish could not wield a scimitar sized for huge creatures as a light weapon and Monkey Grip does not help either since it only works on weapons one size larger.

A huge scimitar would still be a 2-handed weapon for a medium Dervish, with or without Monkey Grip.

Slashing Blades says that the Dervish treats the Scimitar as a light weapon for all purposes, not that it has the option of doing so, therefore a strict reading prevents the Dervish from Power Attacking with a scimitar.

crazedloon
2007-02-24, 01:16 PM
Q 610 cont.

So a Dervish's slashing blades only effects scimitars of the proper size for the dirvish? (i.e. anly if it would be a 1 handed weapon?)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-24, 01:30 PM
A. 610 Continued

No, Slashing Blades effects all scimitars regardless of size, which allows the Dervish to treat a large scimitar as a light weapon if the Dervish also has Monkey Grip.

It also allows allows the Dervish to treat a huge scimitar as a two-handed weapon what a medium sized creature could not normally do. (Light huge weapons are the only kind of huge weapons that a medium creature can wield)

The Slashing Blades ability does not change the effort it takes to wield a weapon that is inappropriately sized, not even an inappropriately sized scimitar.

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-24, 09:55 PM
Q 611

Aside from needing to be at least 1 size category larger than the rider, are there any restrictions on a mount?

oriong
2007-02-24, 10:04 PM
A 611

The mount's size, strength, and number of legs affect it's carrying capacity and therefore it's ability to support a rider (and gear).

Also, by the Ride rules there is a -5 penalty to your ride skill when riding any mount that is 'ill suited as a mount'.

NEO|Phyte
2007-02-24, 10:45 PM
Q 612

If a paladin/ranger with the Devoted Tracker feat later picked up the Dragon Steed feat to gain a Dragonnel (or dragon) special mount, what would the adjustment on the effective druid level be to determine animal companion bonuses?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-25, 05:32 AM
A. 612

The availability of Dragons as steeds is determined solely based on Paladin level (and size of the rider), so there is no adjustment to the effective Druid level (Ranger level/2) from having this special mount.

weenie
2007-02-25, 08:32 AM
Q. 613

Does weapon finesse apply only to a selected weapon, the way weapon focus does, or does it apply to all light melee weapons?

squishycube
2007-02-25, 08:39 AM
A609 Cont
Although I realise the FAQ is pretty much final about how rules should be interpreted, I'd still like to shed some light on this question.

I think the AoO you provoke from the creature you grapple is a bit different than the standard AoO described here: d20 SRD - AoO's (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/attacksOfOpportunity.htm)

Some actions, when performed in a threatened square, provoke attacks of opportunity as you divert your attention from the battle.
The point with this is that you could be AoO'd by anyone close enough to hit you. With grapple however, its different:
d20 SRD - Grapple (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/combat/specialAttacks.htm#grapple)

Attack of Opportunity. You provoke an attack of opportunity from the target you are trying to grapple
The initiation of the grapple specifically provokes an AoO from the target you are trying to grapple. I think this is not a matter of letting your guard down (That is what happens when you move into the target's space, which might also provoke, because of movement), but the simple fact that you are trying to grab someone with a thing that is not a weapon.
This makes the houserule suggested by the Sage very sensible, and in my opinion in the spirit of the rules for special attacks.
YMMV, fluff is always optional and my interpretation relies on fluff.

squishycube
2007-02-25, 08:46 AM
A613
d20 SRD - Weapon Finesse (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/feats.htm#weaponFinesse)

With a light weapon, rapier, whip, or spiked chain made for a creature of your size category, you may use your Dexterity modifier instead of your Strength modifier on attack rolls.
As clear as crystal I think :smile:. Whenever you use one of the weapons mentioned, you can use your dexterity modifier instead of your strength modifier when making attack rolls. It does not mention being tied to a weapon, so it isn't (please note that this is dangerous logic, it should be used with care. It makes things like this possible: The entry for Dwarfs does not mention it can't shoot laser beams out of its eyes that mimic any spell, so it can. I think I'm safe with this one though :smile:)

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-25, 08:58 AM
A. 609 Further comment

A609 Cont
This makes the houserule suggested by the Sage very sensible, and in my opinion in the spirit of the rules for special attacks.

I wholeheartedly agree, which is also why I included the FAQ answer. :smallwink:

Matthew
2007-02-25, 10:36 AM
A 613 continued...

Indeed. However, it is important to note that in 3.0, Weapon Finesse only applied to one weapon, which is no doubt the source of the confusion.

Raistlin1040
2007-02-25, 11:09 AM
Q 614
If an animal is killed and then raised (Not ressurected) would it lose 2 con?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-25, 11:28 AM
A 614

From the description of raise dead (http://www.systemreferencedocuments.org/35/sovelior_sage/spellsPtoR.html#raise-dead):

"The subject of the spell loses one level (or 1 Hit Die) when it is raised, just as if it had lost a level or a Hit Die to an energy-draining creature. If the subject is 1st level, it loses 2 points of Constitution instead (if this would reduce its Con to 0 or less, it can’t be raised)."

If the animal has more than 1 Hit Die, it loses a Hit Die. If it has one or fewer Hit Dice, it loses Constitution.

crazedloon
2007-02-25, 12:54 PM
Q 615

Do you still need cover/concelment when you hide in plain sight (as the ability)

oriong
2007-02-25, 01:19 PM
A 615

No, you do not need any cover/concealment to hide in plain sight, although you must meet any requirements the ability has (such as being close to shadows as a shadowdancer)

cupkeyk
2007-02-25, 01:23 PM
no, but other criteria must be met, like a shadow nearby for shadow dancer or a forested area for a ranger.

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-25, 02:41 PM
A 615

Yes. Hide in Plain Sight only lets you make use of the cover or concealment while you are being directly observed. You still have to hide behind something.

If you wish to hide without cover or concealment, you need the Camouflage ability.

Note that the Shadowdancer possesses a special Supernatural version that doesn't require actual cover or concealment as long as the Shadowdancer is near any sort of shadow. This is a special case of the ability. In most other cases, you still need cover or concealment.

(Also note that, for the Shadowdancer being within 10 ft. of shadow is only a requirement for hiding without cover or concealment. If you have cover or concealment you can still make Hide checks while being observed.)

Raum
2007-02-25, 03:49 PM
A615 No.

Edit: From the SRD "A shadowdancer can use the Hide skill even while being observed. As long as she is within 10 feet of some sort of shadow, a shadowdancer can hide herself from view in the open without anything to actually hide behind. She cannot, however, hide in her own shadow."

Shhalahr may be correct regarding differring abilities, I only looked up the one in the SRD (Shadowdancer).

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-25, 05:03 PM
Shhalahr may be correct regarding differring abilities, I only looked up the one in the SRD (Shadowdancer).
There is another version in the SRD: The Ranger's.

That version is extraordinary (compared to the Shadowdancer's supernatural ability) and grants no benefit to hiding without cover or concealment. However, the Ranger gains the Camouflage ability several levels before gaining Hide in Plain Sight, so the end result is much the same anyway.

The Nightsong Infiltrator from Complete Adventurer also gains Hide in Plain Sight as per the ranger ability, but does not gain any form of Camouflage.

I could dig up a few more examples if I were to do a more thourough search through my books.

oriong
2007-02-25, 05:06 PM
The assasin gains the shadowdancers supernatural version of hide in plain sight as well.

clockwork warrior
2007-02-26, 03:52 PM
q 616

is a character limited to just one shield, or can they hold more than that ( possibly using bash attacks for damage)?

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-26, 03:55 PM
A. 616

Yes, but remember that Shield Bonuses to AC do not stack.

Maxymiuk
2007-02-26, 05:50 PM
Q 617

I'm a bit unclear on the following rules concerning the Dragon Disciple: upon reaching level 10 and gaining Dragon Apotheosis, in addition to the various abilities the character gains, he:

takes on the half-dragon template (see page 146 of the Monster ManualTherefore, to extrapolate from that:

- His type changes to Dragon for the purpose of spells, abilities, and items (such as Bane weapons or the Favored Enemy class feature)
- His subtype changes to Augmented Humanoid (incidentally, where do I find details on this subtype?)
- He does not, however, gain the benefits of the Dragon type as detailed on page 308 of the Monster Manual aside from the ones already granted by Dragon Apotheosis (here I mean he does not gain all good saves, a full BAB progression based on HD, etc.)
- Neither does he gain the level adjustment of the half-dragon template.

Is that right? Am I missing something? Thank you in advance for your responses.

Lord Lorac Silvanos
2007-02-26, 06:16 PM
A. 617

It looks like you have everything under control, (without having seen the actual stat block before and after).

Acquiring the Augmented Subtype means that you get Dragon Traits but keep your Humanoid Features, (which for Humanoids mean Class Features).

Augmented Subtype: A creature receives this subtype whenever something happens to change its original type. Some creatures (those with an inherited template) are born with this subtype; others acquire it when they take on an acquired template. The augmented subtype is always paired with the creature’s original type. A creature with the augmented subtype usually has the traits of its current type, but the features of its original type.

clockwork warrior
2007-02-26, 08:03 PM
q 618
ok, if you take a ready action to cast the spell grease, and you are charged at, does the charger take additional penalties to there reflex and balance checks or no?

Shhalahr Windrider
2007-02-26, 08:41 PM
A 618

No more than would be inflicted if your opponent tried to charge through grease cast earlier in the initiative order. That is to say: no, there are no additional penalties.

Although a patch of grease would potentially prevent your opponent from completing a atandard charge, as the grease keeps the path being clear. An opponent that is aware of this may attempt to jump over the patch of grease as part of the charge, however.

Raool
2007-02-26, 08:44 PM
A 618
Charging only gives a -2 penalty to AC. It does not affect reflex saves or balance checks or any other checks for that matter.

crazedloon
2007-02-26, 08:47 PM
Q 619

When an ability refers to a melee weapon is a weapon considered a melee weapon if used in melee. Or is it always a melee weapon. I.E. if you throw a knife is it still a melee weapon.

I ask this in particular when considering avenging executioner's ability (from complete scoundrel)

oriong
2007-02-26, 09:01 PM
Q 619

It only refers to the use of the weapon in melee.

Roland St. Jude
2007-02-26, 11:41 PM
I've started the new version of this thread (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2103554#post2103554).

Before I close this though, I'd like to thank all our participants in this thread, especially our answerers. Thanks!