PDA

View Full Version : Need to remake

Man With Dog
2011-01-10, 02:20 PM
Hello Again out there,

I asked the other night about making a Dwarven Defender good.
Most of the feedback was a nice way of saying, Dwarven Defenders such except in a very specific situation.
So i spoke to the DM and he decided to let me remake myself.

I can start a level 12 (with a +4 Armour and a +4 Shield if i like) - the rest is up to me with lvl 13 starting gold - 110k.

I have thought about making a Bard, a Charger, a ClericZilla but having trouble deciding with what we have in the party.

Currently is: Polymorphing BOOM wizard. An uber Cleric (big time UBER) and a very good Scout. Add to that mix a Fighter with the armour ignoring enchant on a reach weapon. The Cleric often takes the tanking and secondary fighter role.

Any idea's what would be fun to take?
Stats of: 15, 14, 14, 14, 13, 11 (no level +1's used yet)

I dont mind what i take but that is the party make up we have and they are good at their roles, and i have been told we dont have much Rogue needed stuff coming up.

No ToB or MoI in regards to books. No Evil or Level Adjustment races.

All idea's welcomed :smallsmile:

mootoall
2011-01-10, 02:27 PM
Dragonborn Gnome DFA? Get yourself ridiculous Con and Cha and go to town burning everyone. 'Course, that's just my favorite character. I have no clue what you want. I assume tank? Might be something you want to actually say ...

Lord Loss
2011-01-10, 02:30 PM
You've already got a Cleric, a fullcaster, a skillmonkey and a fighter. In essence, you've got what it takes to make a full party, so your character is like the icing on the cake. Whilst this could make you feel like a fifth wheel, you also get to create just about any character you want without worrying about filling in a specific role.

I reccomend making a character that can fill in many roles. A few classes that can do this well are the Bard and the Dread Necro. The Bard does this well because - well, he's a Bard, that's kind of the point - and the Dread Necro because he's not bad in combat on top of his excellent casting.

Another option you could consider is becoming a "flanking buddy" for the scout, a rogue or ranger could do this quite nicely.

Callista
2011-01-10, 02:35 PM
Bard! Bonuses to everything are never unappreciated, and it doesn't look like you have a dedicated social character yet.

mootoall
2011-01-10, 02:42 PM
Oh, well if we're going for a fifth wheel, then I'd go for a trip-focused factotum. Guisarme, couple of Fonts of Inspiration, prepare Enlarge Person, see if you can slip in Jotunbrund and you'll never fail an opposed trip check. Class level to social skills will do wonders, since you'll never run through all of your IPs in a social "encounter" doing that. Useful for everything is quite literally its trademark.

woodenbandman
2011-01-10, 02:47 PM
Use that +4 shield as your weapon, wink wink.

HMM... you could go fochlucan lyrist? That'd cover the role of utility caster/secondary fighter/secondary sneak pretty well.

mootoall
2011-01-10, 03:06 PM
HMM... you could go fochlucan lyrist? That'd cover the role of utility caster/secondary fighter/secondary sneak pretty well. Factotum does that and more!

Telonius
2011-01-10, 03:09 PM
Artificer, perhaps? They're not quite as stat-dependent as a lot of other classes, and it looks like you have some fairly low stats there. You only need 16 Int to cast the most powerful infusions. Artificers make excellent fifth wheels, and can save the party a bunch of money on car insurance magic items. They also get trapfinding, if you're inclined to help out with that (even though it probably won't be needed, as you've said).

Man With Dog
2011-01-10, 03:43 PM
Factotum does that and more!

Factotum interests me, only issue being i have never played one before and wouldnt have a clue making one from 0-12 in one sitting.
Is it a difficult thing to do or am i worrying over nothing?
I have the items to worry about too.

The other idea was the Bard - i have spoken about Bards on these forums before and the old DFI Bard always sounded good to me

Tyndmyr
2011-01-10, 04:23 PM
Factotum is infinitely flexible. It's hard to really do them wrong. Give em lots of int, though.

DFA is also loads of fun.