PDA

View Full Version : What do Star Wars, LotR, and myself all have in common?

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 02:51 PM
They all have a return.

Okay, if you're baffled by that statement let me explain: Last year I went through some problems involving college tuition and I couldn't return for the fall semester. They have since been cleared up and I'm coming back for the spring.

This is pretty big news for me. I haven't told anyone. I have to tell my roommates so they'll know when I'm moving in. I'm hesitant about telling others just because I kind of want it to be a surprise. I don't know why. I'll tell my roommates but I might say "Don't tell anyone just yet." I'm debating telling everyone: I probably should since they've wondered where I've been. Not to mention I am kind of president of a club (the VP had to step up in my absence) and I should tell at least the higher ups I'm returning so we can all plan for the spring. Still, I would like to see the look on everyone's face of me just spontaneously showing up. I've even been think of (I guess) lines to say. Just quote some movie where the context is seeing someone after a long gap of time. In the past few months I could only really think of when Gandalf returns in Two Towers and the dialogue would be kind of awkward and I'm not sure everyone would get the reference.

Anyway, I'm just glad to be going back and finally getting some use out of the apartment I've been paying rent for.:smallbiggrin:

KuReshtin
2011-01-10, 07:30 PM
Great news.
Now you can get another PhD to go along with your PhD in Epicness.

arguskos
2011-01-10, 07:34 PM
As a note, I HIGHLY disagree with the "hey guys, I'm back!" approach. People tend to get angry when folks just show up after having been gone for awhile, since it disrupts their lives somewhat. For the love of the peace, please don't do that. Let the appropriate people know, especially the club and your roomies, since your return alters the way their lives run.

Nibleswick
2011-01-10, 11:36 PM
They're all Epic? That was my first thought anyway.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 11:42 PM

Well (assuming your not counting the prequels) yes.

Morph Bark
2011-01-13, 07:19 PM
Well (assuming your not counting the prequels) yes.

LotR has prequels?

Glad to see you could get back into it though. I personally know others with similar troubles and how icky it is to deal with that.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-13, 07:35 PM
pursue a post doctorate in epic

Moff Chumley
2011-01-13, 07:41 PM
@Thread title: They all were initially promising, but time has proven them not worthy of the hype? :smalltongue:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-13, 09:42 PM
LotR has prequels?

I was referring to Star Wars, but LotR will have prequels (at least if they ever make the Hobbit (I've been waiting on that for years)).

I got my classes but I'm think of switching one class so I can have a 4 day weekend. I can't really decide what to do. My schedule as it stands is...

-One night class Monday
-One afternoon class Tuesday
-Wednesday is pretty much all classes
-Nothing Thursday
-Friday I have a morning class

Originally I just wanted one classes each day, but given the classes I had to take, and the options I had left I was stuck taking two classes on Wednesday (well there was an elective that would have been the same for the ones I took Wednesday but it didn't sound like something I'd do too well in). The credits for my Friday class I can get for a morning class on Monday. I don't really feel too strongly about the topic for either, and I'm not familiar with either teacher so I'm wondering should I cram all my classes in the beginning of the week for a long weekend or keep it as is. Oh! And I'm president of a club that meets Thursday night so class the next day might not be a good idea.

Just looking for input about this.

_Zoot_
2011-01-14, 12:19 AM

That was my first thought as well :smalltongue:

Anyway, congratulations! I hope you have heaps of fun and get a second PhD!

rakkoon
2011-01-14, 02:54 AM
As you explain it in your post, no classes on Friday then!
Be sure to do some work Friday afternoon though, writing papers or looking stuff up. Don't wast the time (which is what I usually did)

grimbold
2011-01-14, 03:02 PM
congratulations Dr. Epic, i would recommend telling as few people as possible and then coming back and surprising the majority of people.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-17, 04:31 PM
Currently sitting in my room at school.:smallbiggrin: Also, not only did I switch out my Friday class for a 4 day weekend, the class I took in the place is on Tuesday (making Monday less hectic and the class on Tuesday wasn't as long), is about a subject I care about, and I had the professor for this class before and not only is he an awesome guy I got an A- in that class.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-18, 03:01 AM
As a note, I HIGHLY disagree with the "hey guys, I'm back!" approach. People tend to get angry when folks just show up after having been gone for awhile, since it disrupts their lives somewhat. For the love of the peace, please don't do that. Let the appropriate people know, especially the club and your roomies, since your return alters the way their lives run.

Only some people. I'd love it.

Morph Bark
2011-01-18, 11:08 AM
I was referring to Star Wars, but LotR will have prequels (at least if they ever make the Hobbit (I've been waiting on that for years)).

Bah, there my subtle trying to make a joke out of not acknowledging the Star Wars prequel trilogy goes, unnoticed. :smalltongue:

A 4 day weekend might be very nice, but don't so easily discount the power and value of being able to catch a break in the middle of your work week. Myself I used to have a three-day weekend (the extra day being spent on work still though), which has now been shortened back to two because I'm trying to do a double major. I'd feel blessed bigtime if my wednesdays would occassionally open up.

Of course, YMMV, as with all subjective things. You get to do more things you like either way. :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-19, 11:23 AM
Bah, there my subtle trying to make a joke out of not acknowledging the Star Wars prequel trilogy goes, unnoticed. :smalltongue:

A 4 day weekend might be very nice, but don't so easily discount the power and value of being able to catch a break in the middle of your work week. Myself I used to have a three-day weekend (the extra day being spent on work still though), which has now been shortened back to two because I'm trying to do a double major. I'd feel blessed bigtime if my wednesdays would occassionally open up.

Of course, YMMV, as with all subjective things. You get to do more things you like either way. :smallwink:

Meh, the classes I'm taking (and the teachers I have) are so fun that it doesn't seem like these classes will seem like work. I do plan on devoting my weekend to work though. Friday's going to be nothing but reading. Saturday I'm planning on doing some shopping so that might take a few hours, but I'll try and squeeze something in. But Sunday I will work too.

Also, my class today was canceled (not the class entirely, just for today, the professor was out of town and he couldn't make it back for the morning). So, my hectic Wednesday just became a lot more manageable.