PDA

View Full Version : Ian?

Endon
2011-01-10, 04:21 PM
Is that prisoner(Ian) Hayley´s father?

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 04:27 PM
Well it's either Haley's dad or Ian McKellen and since the latter is a mutant white wizard escaping from prison should be that difficult so yes it is her dad.

Logalmier
2011-01-10, 04:44 PM
Yes, he is.

And before you ask, Shojo was actually only pretending to be insane.

Also, just to clarify, it was Nale who tried to kill Haley, not Elan. Nale was just pretending to be Elan.

Also, Eugene is Roy's dad. That's why Roy is so annoyed with him.

Oh yea, lemme just point out that Roy is actually the main character of the Comic, and is the leader of the Order of the Stick. Just making sure we're all on the same page here.

Oh! I almost forgot! The reason that Roy is the leader is because he was the one who's dad (that's Eugene) was the one who swore the Blood Oath against Xykon.

Ok, before I explain the whole "Blood Oath" thing, I should probably stop to tell you who Xykon is. It all started way back in the day...

Cizak
2011-01-10, 05:08 PM
Nope, it's another red haired guy named Ian who also got thrown into prison in a state formerly known as Tyrinaria. He actually lived on the same street as Haley when she was little. It always became a little awkwared when he and Haley's dad met each other, because they were so much alike, you couldn't tell who was who.

Oh, the hilarity when Haley find out!

LOTRfan
2011-01-10, 05:22 PM
Are any of the sarcastic responses really necessary? Its merely a question.

@ Endon, yes, Ian is Haley's father.

Dvandemon
2011-01-10, 05:24 PM
It's probably a civil attempt a expressing their frustration over a [perceived] silly question

Nevereatcars
2011-01-10, 05:24 PM
Another... Ian thread? Oh, this should be fun. "Sarcasm Ahoy, Cap'n!"

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 05:32 PM
Another... Ian thread? Oh, this should be fun. "Sarcasm Ahoy, Cap'n!"

The sarcasm detector is going crazy!

Logalmier
2011-01-10, 05:35 PM
The sarcasm detector is going crazy!

Sorry, mine is broken.

suszterpatt
2011-01-10, 06:27 PM
Oh yea, lemme just point out that Roy is actually the main character of the Comic, and is the leader of the Order of the Stick. Just making sure we're all on the same page here.
Objection!

Elan's the main character.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-10, 06:47 PM
Objection!

Elan's the main character.

Wrong! The true main character is demon roach #2. I love that guy.

Nimrod's Son
2011-01-11, 01:11 AM

@ Endon, yes, Ian is Haley's father.
Endon, don't listen to this sarcastic double-bluff!

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-11, 03:36 PM
Nope, it's another red haired guy named Ian who also got thrown into prison in a state formerly known as Tyrinaria.
What? Does Ian Starshine have a monopoly combining his name with red hair and getting arrested in Tynaria?

I don’t believe Ian the Red has been explicitly identified with the name Starshine. To the best of my knowledge, there is a small, though very improbable chance that he is some other formerly-red-haired prisoner named Ian. It’s possible but not likely.

Darth Hunterix
2011-01-11, 04:04 PM
Wrong! The true main character is demon roach #2. I love that guy.

Mr. Scruffy is much displeased with your apparent lack of perception.

And since we are all playing Capitan Obvious here I'm gonna add something as well:
The author of the comic is Rich "The Giant" Burlew. The puppetmaster behind him is O-Chul.

Cizak
2011-01-11, 04:25 PM
What? Does Ian Starshine have a monopoly combining his name with red hair and getting arrested in Tynaria?

I don’t believe Ian the Red has been explicitly identified with the name Starshine. To the best of my knowledge, there is a small, though very improbable chance that he is some other formerly-red-haired prisoner named Ian. It’s possible but not likely.

Ehm, no, have I ever said that he has? I think you are mis-reading my post, I'm saying it's another red haired Ian, not Ian Starshine. So no, Ian Starshine does not have monopoly on all those things.

LOTRfan
2011-01-11, 04:30 PM
Endon, don't listen to this sarcastic double-bluff!

@ Endon, it is probable, Ian is Haley's father.

Better? :smalltongue:

Do we really need to prolong this, guys?

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-11, 05:18 PM
Ehm, no, have I ever said that he has? I think you are mis-reading my post, I'm saying it's another red haired Ian, not Ian Starshine. So no, Ian Starshine does not have monopoly on all those things.
So you’re saying that you were actually sincere?

martianmister
2011-01-11, 05:20 PM

Stupid Answer: No, he is not Hayley's father. He is Haley's dad... :smalltongue:

Real Answer: Probably, but isn't really confirmed yet... :smallsmile:

And to all other sarcasm masters: Ian the Old Prisoner could be a Red-herring. Nothing is confirmed for now. :smallamused:

Endon
2011-01-11, 05:55 PM
Ian would never say anything about him to a unknown person-if he didn´t changed(ok, i confiss, that is pretty possible)
(http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0681.html)

Swordpriest
2011-01-11, 09:41 PM
Yeah, it is hard to believe that he'd open up like that. However, all the evidence still suggests it's him, including this being the former Tyrinaria.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-11, 09:58 PM
And to all other sarcasm masters: Ian the Old Prisoner could be a Red-herring. Nothing is confirmed for now. :smallamused:

Seriously, if that's what happened it would be a HUGE coincidence and would anger many people (like myself): same name, same hair (at least it used to be), same age group, and prisoner of what was the same Empire. If this all turns out to be a joke, I will be quite mad.:smallannoyed:

Zmflavius
2011-01-11, 11:13 PM
Seriously, if that's what happened it would be a HUGE coincidence and would anger many people (like myself): same name, same hair (at least it used to be), same age group, and prisoner of what was the same Empire. If this all turns out to be a joke, I will be quite mad.:smallannoyed:

Think someone used this earlier...

:durkon:Och, right. Like a hunnerd percent, in this comic.

martianmister
2011-01-11, 11:21 PM
If this all turns out to be a joke, I will be quite mad.:smallannoyed:

I'm sure everybody will appraise Gian for this unexpected plot twist. :smallwink:

"My name is Ian Herring. But they used to call me Red..."

Dr.Epic
2011-01-12, 12:49 AM
"My name is Ian Herring. But they used to call me Red..."

That...would actually be kind of funny. But I'd still be angry.

edit: It'd also be interesting to see what that Scooby-Doo character did when he grew up.

Cizak
2011-01-12, 07:29 AM
So you’re saying that you were actually sincere?

I've never said that. But I've never said Ian Starshine has monopoly on all those things either.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-12, 10:13 AM
I've never said that. But I've never said Ian Starshine has monopoly on all those things either.
So, what are you saying?

If you were being sarcastic, then you implied that being a formerly red-headed man named Ian who was imprisoned in Tynaria means that he is indeed Ian Starshine, Haley’s father.

If you were being sincere, then you must feel that he is not Ian Starshine for some reason.

Cizak
2011-01-12, 11:52 AM
So, what are you saying?

If you were being sarcastic, then you implied that being a formerly red-headed man named Ian who was imprisoned in Tynaria means that he is indeed Ian Starshine, Haley’s father.

If you were being sincere, then you must feel that he is not Ian Starshine for some reason.

I was being sarcastic, and joking about that it would be a guy who was exactly like Ian Starshine, but not Ian Starshine. Though I never said anything about monopoly and stuff, I don't know where you got that from.

Mordaenor
2011-01-12, 12:06 PM
Nope, it's another red haired guy named Ian who also got thrown into prison in a state formerly known as Tyrinaria. He actually lived on the same street as Haley when she was little. It always became a little awkwared when he and Haley's dad met each other, because they were so much alike, you couldn't tell who was who.

Oh, the hilarity when Haley find out!

You know if something like this were true, it would be the most awesome curveball this comic had ever thrown.

Cizak
2011-01-12, 12:09 PM
You know if something like this were true, it would be the most awesome curveball this comic had ever thrown.

I'd actually think it'd be kinda lame :smalltongue: But really, it's not gonnna happen. The Ian in the jail cell is Haley's father, I mean that was the whole pont of that strip :P

Mordaenor
2011-01-12, 12:16 PM
I'd actually think it'd be kinda lame :smalltongue: But really, it's not gonnna happen. The Ian in the jail cell is Haley's father, I mean that was the whole pont of that strip :P

Yeah, most people would probably agree with you, but I kind of live out in Left Field, so I find things like that pretty funny.

Which is why, at the end of the day, I still believe Fruit Pie the Sorceror will turn out to be the most important character in the whole comic.

faustin
2011-01-12, 12:27 PM
Actually, Ian is Girard in disguise. It´s a prank planned by him and Tarquin for Elan and Haley. Surprise! :smalltongue:

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-12, 03:38 PM
I was being sarcastic, and joking about that it would be a guy who was exactly like Ian Starshine, but not Ian Starshine. Though I never said anything about monopoly and stuff, I don't know where you got that from.
Then your sarcasm just doesn’t work. Saying, “No, it’s some other guy who fills such and such criteria,” with sarcasm implies the belief that there can be no one else that fills that criteria.

Cizak
2011-01-12, 04:28 PM
Then your sarcasm just doesn’t work. Saying, “No, it’s some other guy who fills such and such criteria,” with sarcasm implies the belief that there can be no one else that fills that criteria.

I never said in my original post that I never implied that the can be no one else, so yes, my sarcastic post works perfectly fine.

Lateral
2011-01-16, 04:53 PM
Yes. Yes, he is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0768.html) :smalltongue:

mucat
2011-01-16, 05:06 PM
I never said in my original post that I never implied that the can be no one else, so yes, my sarcastic post works perfectly fine.

Yow! That's a lot of multiple-negatives to unravel.

Near as I can figure, the sentence means "I did not say that I did not imply that he was not someone else. But it was sarcasm, so I meant the opposite." It totally might work perfectly, but my head still hurts. :smallwink:

Felixc-91
2011-01-17, 02:33 AM
Yes. Yes, he is. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0768.html) :smalltongue:
idk, @below has yet to be ruled out. technically

Actually, Ian is Girard in disguise. It´s a prank planned by him and Tarquin for Elan and Haley. Surprise! :smalltongue:

doodthedud
2011-01-18, 08:25 PM
It's probably a civil attempt a expressing their frustration over a [perceived] silly question

I think it's more that they're used to over-analyzing every tiny detail of the comic to a ridiculous degree and making all sorts of ludicrous crackpot theories, and thus had come up with a crackpot theory that proved correct for once - far before it was made more obvious. So they see something that, to a normal person, is hinted at in the comic as something insanely obvious that even a monkey could detect.

GrlumpTheElder
2011-01-18, 08:36 PM
Actually, I'll think you'll find its MitD out from the Dark with Vs Gender.

Lateral
2011-01-20, 05:20 PM
I think it's more that they're used to over-analyzing every tiny detail of the comic to a ridiculous degree and making all sorts of ludicrous crackpot theories, and thus had come up with a crackpot theory that proved correct for once - far before it was made more obvious. So they see something that, to a normal person, is hinted at in the comic as something insanely obvious that even a monkey could detect.

No, they're just expressing sarcasm over a perceived silly question. When this thread started, it should already have been totally obvious due to this comic. (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0758.html)