PDA

View Full Version : Best class for a stone golem

molten_dragon
2011-01-10, 05:58 PM
So my party has had a greater stone golem with us for awhile now. We just hit 17th level, and as a party we decided to awaken him. The DM has stated that in addition to his 15 feats and his skill points, he can have 2 class levels. What I'm trying to decide is what class that should be.

So far I've thought of warhulk and hulking hurler. I was also considering one of the ToB classes, but I wasn't sure if racial hit dice added to martial adept levels like non-adept class levels do. Anyone able to clear that up or offer other suggestions of a good class?

*.*.*.*
2011-01-10, 06:01 PM
I'm pretty damn sure Racial HD count as 1/2 initiator level

With that being said, go Crusader and never look back. Seriously, a Golem Crusader is the pinnacle of a tank

Keld Denar
2011-01-10, 06:01 PM
Racial HD do add to IL at a rate of 2 HD per 1 IL, just like any other non-initiator class.

2 levels of Crusader would be pretty brutal. It should be noted that crusader healing is non-magical, and thus the golem could heal itself with Revitalizing Strike or Martial Spirit stance. Interesting, yet very useful.

sonofzeal
2011-01-10, 06:05 PM
RHD do add to IL at the normal 1/2 rate.

The problem with Crusader is that constructs "cannot heal damage on their own". I'm not entirely sure if it's RAW, but given that this usually includes an immunity to Cure spells, your DM would be within their rights to argue that applies to common Crusader effects as well.

Hulking Hurler's good, but the name is rather tainted at this point, and the entire class is too easily abused. I say skip.

Warblade or Warhulk would be my top choices.

Kuma Kode
2011-01-10, 06:53 PM
The "do not heal on their own" is a reference to natural healing. Their bodies do not heal on their own. It doesn't mean they can't be healed or they can't heal themselves with abilities they possess.

For instance, a mindless undead "does not heal on its own," and right afterwards it mentions that Intelligent undead do heal at the normal rate. Mindless undead can be healed by negative energy, so I'm pretty sure that's how it was meant to be read.

Constructs are likely unaffected by Cure spells because they are not powered by positive energy.

AslanCross
2011-01-10, 06:55 PM
RHD do add to IL at the normal 1/2 rate.

The problem with Crusader is that constructs "cannot heal damage on their own". I'm not entirely sure if it's RAW, but given that this usually includes an immunity to Cure spells, your DM would be within their rights to argue that applies to common Crusader effects as well.

This means constructs don't have natural healing like other types do, so resting doesn't heal it. Immunity to cure spells only comes from its Magic Immunity, since Cure spells have Spell Resistance: Yes. Repair Light Damage does not have SR: Yes, so golems can actually be healed by that.
Crusader healing, on the other hand, is completely nonmagical.

Hulking Hurler's good, but the name is rather tainted at this point, and the entire class is too easily abused. I say skip.

Warblade or Warhulk would be my top choices.

Warhulk does sound pretty awesome.

Halae
2011-01-10, 07:02 PM
Warhulk does sound pretty awesome.

Don't stop there! A Warhulk with the Knockback feat and levels in fighter for dungeoncrasher can be absolutely devastating on the battlefield, particularly since a Warhulk gains attacks that affect multiple spaces as class features, and the capstone lets them attack everywhere within reach. find a way to increase reach, and you have a beast that sends swaths of enemies flying as it mows along the battlefield. very cool in a large battle, and still very effective in a small one

Endarire
2011-01-10, 07:43 PM
Crusader1, Swordsage1, or Warblade1 can get you even level 9 maneuvers on that golem! Go go 42 racial hit dice!

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-10, 07:47 PM
Crusader1, Swordsage1, or Warblade1 can get you even level 9 maneuvers on that golem! Go go 42 racial hit dice!

I'd say you take a swordsage level to make use of all those tasty maneuvers and qualify for a 9th level maneuver that isn't the Stone Dragon one ( actually... also get that one I am sure I would be useful and flavourful)

molten_dragon
2011-01-10, 08:00 PM
I think I'm going to go two levels of warblade. Dancing Mongoose and Raging mongoose look real nice. The more of those 4d8+13 slams I can get the better.

sonofzeal
2011-01-10, 08:00 PM
The "do not heal on their own" is a reference to natural healing. Their bodies do not heal on their own. It doesn't mean they can't be healed or they can't heal themselves with abilities they possess.
I seem to remember Constructs having an immunity to positive/negative energy, but perhaps that was changed at some point or a houserule. However, Warforged (the only specifically playable pseudo-Construct I can think of with the possible exception of Nimblewrights) do include partial resistance to positive energy. RAI, given Warforged and the general explanation of what positive energy means, I'd assume that it makes sense to have full constructs generally be immune to it. I'd also generally frown on using Crusader to bypass that, although I'd make "Repair" line spells much more easily accessible. But that's just me; RAW I admit it works.

Endarire
2011-01-10, 08:01 PM
Aw, and I was hoping for Strike of Righteous Vitality from this golem.

Note that you can have it take Martial Study and Martial Stance. Having it be able to use heal if it hits is marvelous.

molten_dragon
2011-01-10, 08:24 PM
Aw, and I was hoping for Strike of Righteous Vitality from this golem.

Note that you can have it take Martial Study and Martial Stance. Having it be able to use heal if it hits is marvelous.

Eh, I was just going to buy him a 1/day or 2/day item of transmute mud to rock.

Endarire
2011-01-10, 08:42 PM
The point of heal was for fellow party members, too!

I also like the concept of a golem healer who slams people to activate Strike of Righteous Vitality. "It hurts to heal!"