PDA

View Full Version : Purple Pants of Rage

Doughnut Master
2011-01-10, 09:44 PM
Jealous of the spell Righteous Might that my cleric friend has, I decided to try and homebrew an item with a similar effect for a barbarian.

Purple Pants of Rage
Effects: A character, wearing these pants, who rages, grows one size category larger and gains a +4 strength bonus, as well as a +2 constitution bonus. The character also gains a +2 bonus to natural armor. The character suffers all normal penalties for their increased size.
Duration: The bonus lasts as long as the character's rage. After which, the character is exhausted and suffers an additional -4 to strength until they rest or are otherwise rejuvenated.

Special: If the character takes damage while wearing the pants, they must make a fortitude save of 10 + Damage dealt to avoid going into a rage.

Thoughts? Additions? Subtractions?

And, most importantly, how much should something like this cost?

Bhu
2011-01-11, 02:44 AM
How often can he rage?

Debihuman
2011-01-11, 10:15 AM
Here would be the details
Purple Pants of Rage
Price: 12,600 gp
Body Slot: body
Caster Level: 1
Aura: Faint Transmutation
Activation: Use Activated
Weight: 1 lb.

prerequisites: Craft Wondrous Item, enlarge person, ability to Rage
cost to create: 6,300 gp, 504 XP

Numbers are now corrected (hadn't originally factored in the Natural Armor and Ability bonuses). Also, 30% isn't quite 1/3 so 18K - 5400 (30%) =12,600. Added the XP cost too.

Debby

Doughnut Master
2011-01-11, 10:34 AM
Well for the barbarian I had in mind, he can rage 3x per day. But really, that all just depends on the build. The ability to rage is a prerequisite then, I guess.

And yes, I'd probably say that the pants preclude armor. You could still wear a vest or shirt though. Maybe one of those conquistador breastplates? ;)

Roderick_BR
2011-01-11, 11:14 AM
Haha. Nice. An item to empower rage. Something to note, it looks a lot like the ACF for Goliath barbarians, with the ability to increase one full size category when raging (their normal is to have "only" powerful build), so it's similar to a 1st level ACF.
Costs... Gives 1 size category, normal penalties, bonus to Str and Con. Sounds like Enlarge Person. Level 1, continuous, use activated, unlimited use (depends on the user's rages by day, so we could reduce the cost in, say, 1/3?). Then a +2 NatArm bonus.
Enlarge: Spell level × caster level × 2,000 gp = 2,000
Stats bonus: Dex 2 = 2^2 * 1000 = 4,000 (to offset the -2 from Enlarge)
Stats bonus: Con 2 = 2^2 * 1000 = 4,000 (enlarge doesn't give it)
NatArm: 2^2 * 2500 = 10,000 (yeah, expensive, but let's use the cost of an amulet of natural armor: 8,000)
Total 18,000 - 1/3 = 12,000

My math may be off (of course it is), but that's what I got at short notice. I'm sure someone else can get you a better build and price.

Doughnut Master
2011-01-13, 01:04 AM
Cool, thanks!

The rules for pricing things have always seemed a little mystifying to me.

Also, I was considering adding an effect like "For every 10 damage you receive after activating this item, your strength increases by 1"

Is there any other spell that might provide a guideline for this?

Debihuman
2011-01-13, 06:05 AM
You already get stronger if you get bigger as per the enlarge spell. I bolded the relevant portion below.

This spell causes instant growth of a humanoid creature, doubling its height and multiplying its weight by 8. This increase changes the creature’s size category to the next larger one. The target gains a +2 size bonus to Strength, a -2 size penalty to Dexterity (to a minimum of 1), and a -1 penalty on attack rolls and AC due to its increased size.

A humanoid creature whose size increases to Large has a space of 10 feet and a natural reach of 10 feet. This spell does not change the target’s speed.

If insufficient room is available for the desired growth, the creature attains the maximum possible size and may make a Strength check (using its increased Strength) to burst any enclosures in the process. If it fails, it is constrained without harm by the materials enclosing it— the spell cannot be used to crush a creature by increasing its size.

All equipment worn or carried by a creature is similarly enlarged by the spell. Melee and projectile weapons affected by this spell deal more damage. Other magical properties are not affected by this spell. Any enlarged item that leaves an enlarged creature’s possession (including a projectile or thrown weapon) instantly returns to its normal size. This means that thrown weapons deal their normal damage, and projectiles deal damage based on the size of the weapon that fired them. Magical properties of enlarged items are not increased by this spell.

Debby

Doughnut Master
2011-01-13, 05:03 PM
Yeah, but I wanted to give this a little extra punch. Something to make it unique. Which is why righteous might struck me so.