PDA

View Full Version : BattleBriar and Nightwist forms? [3.5]

Tvtyrant
2011-01-11, 03:02 AM
I was looking over the Druids Handbook and I noticed that neither of these forms were mentioned as potentially useful Wildshape forms. The Lesser Battlebriar isn't the best form for any one thing, but it gains a huge variety of abilities revolving around both ranged and trampling and the Nightwist gains an amazing amount of AC, as well as plant immunities and a number of slam attacks.

They are both in the MM3, and I was wondering if there was a flaw in them I am not seeing?

Zaq
2011-01-11, 04:13 AM
Handbooks are fantastic starting points, but rarely good ending points. There's plenty of material out there, especially for the classes with bigger and better support (like, indeed, Druids), that just can't or doesn't get mentioned in any given handbook . . . and, indeed, handbooks are written by people, and people are fallible. Most handbooks from the major sources are pretty good, but none can be perfect. If you disagree with what a handbook has to say, consider their argument, but go with what works for you. If you've found something that the handbook doesn't even mention, that doesn't mean it's bad. It just means that the handbook didn't pay it much attention.

Bottom line: If a handbook could accurately and completely encapsulate everything there is to know about a class, that class would hardly be worth playing.

AslanCross
2011-01-11, 08:45 AM
The Night Twist has 10 ft. movement and vulnerability to fire. Probably not a good idea to stay in that form all the time.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-11, 01:23 PM
The Night Twist has 10 ft. movement and vulnerability to fire. Probably not a good idea to stay in that form all the time.

True, but for sitting still and taking it the forms got almost all of it. It Has 39 Str, 27 AC, and three slam attacks. In fact I find its CR extremely questionable at that...

And the Warbound Battlebriar, while less defensive, gets you an infinite use ranged attack (which is weak true, but still infinite) a trample attack, Impale, Improved Grab, and some slam attacks. Plus normal movement on a plant.