PDA

View Full Version : [D&D 3.5 Races] My Little Pony

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 03:30 AM
Ok, so I admit this is a pretty silly idea, but I've been watching the current My Little Pony show and it is surprisingly fun and well-written. And well, it inspired me. I'm new to homebrewing, so please critique the hell out of anything that seems poorly thought out or unbalanced. As you can probably guess, I used strongheart halfling stats as a base for the ponies. My other inspirations are noted.

Edit: This is an older version by now, version 4 in a later post is the newest

Ponyfolk
http://img708.imageshack.us/img708/9904/applejack2.jpg

Statistics:

Type: Magical Beast
+2 Dexterity, -2 Strength.
Small: As a Small creature, a ponyfolk gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Ponyfolk base land speed is 20 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Move Silently checks.
Stability: A ponyfolk gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
1 extra feat at 1st level.
Automatic Languages: Common and Equine.
Even though they lack hands, ponyfolk are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass ponyfolk takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
Note: I am mainly using the term ponyfolk to differentiate them game-term-wise from conventional non-intelligent ponies. In practice, feel free to call them ponies.

Unicorn
http://img440.imageshack.us/img440/2955/twilightsparkle2.jpg

Statistics:

+2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength.
Small: As a Small creature, a unicorn gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Unicorn base land speed is 20 feet.
Stability: A unicorn gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Arcane Ability: Unicorns with Intelligence or Charisma scores of 10 or higher can cast cantrips as a racial ability. They may choose one 0-level spell per +1 modifier on Charisma or Intelligence (whichever is higher) and cast that spell at-will. They are always treated as a level 1 caster for these spells and are subject to arcane spell failure, but do not need to prepare them. These spells are handled separately from any other spell-casting the unicorn may be capable of.
Increased Caster Level: Unicorns are considered to have +1 caster level for purposes such as spell range, duration, and damage. They do not gain any other benefits of caster level, such as class features of spells know, earlier than other races.
Empowered Magic: One per day, a Unicorn can apply the Empower Spell feat to any spell as it is being cast without incurring the normal spell slot penalty. This must be declared before casting the spell and is lost if the spell cannot be completed for any reason.
Even though they lack hands, unicorns are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Wizard or Sorcerer. As soon as a level in either is taken, the player must decide which will permanently be considered favored.
+1 Level Adjustment

Some stats inspired by the High Elves of the original d20 Warcraft system

Pegasus
http://img717.imageshack.us/img717/8886/rainbowdash2.jpg

Statistics:

+2 Dexterity, +2 Strength, -2 Constitution.
Small: As a Small creature, a pegasus gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Pegasus base land speed is 20 feet.
Stability: A pegasus gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Gliding: A pegasus can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Winged creatures glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if her maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A pegasus can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a winged creature becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The creature descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Flight: When a pegasus reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A pegasus can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasi can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because pegasi can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, pegasi have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A pegasus with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A pegasus can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A pegasus with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
Wing Buffet: The pegasus has two wing attacks as secondary natural weapons (damage 1d6 for a Medium creature) and may make a special bull-rush attack with a range of 25ft, +5ft per two character levels once per two rounds. This is a ranged attack which must be made with the pegasus's wings, and the pegasus does not move with his target, but otherwise functions as a normal bull rush.
Shielding Wing: The creature may encase themselves in their own wings, gaining a +4 shield bonus to AC when they take the total defense action, +1 per three character levels.
Even though they lack hands, pegasi are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass pegasus takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
+1 Level Adjustment

Inspired by and adapted from zenanarchist's Winged template:
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=161005

Xefas
2011-01-11, 03:45 AM
I think the ability arrays are kind of off. Currently, you have:

Earth Pony: +2 Dex, -2 Str
Unicorn: +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Str
Pegasus: +2 Dex, +2 Str, -2 Con

First of all, the generic Earth Ponies are much stronger and more resilient than the others. They should absolutely have at least more constitution than the others, and almost certainly more strength. On the flip side, they've shown no extra aptitude for dexterity.

From what we've seen of Unicorns, they're generally a bit more frail, and tire more easily, than the other kinds of ponies, so I'd throw on a constitution penalty.

I don't think there's any basis for a constitution penalty for the Pegasi, considering the duration and intensity of the flights they're able to perform, and I don't think we've seen them be particularly stronger than average.

I'd propose:

Earth Pony: +2 Con (And add a little something extra to push them into +1 LA like the others)
Unicorn: +2 Int, +2 Cha, -2 Con, -2 Str
Pegasus: +2 Dex, -2 Str

Also, if you're worried about D&D name overlap, "Ponyfolk" is fine to distinguish from "Pony", but keep in mind that 'Unicorn' and 'Pegasus' are also names for D&D critters.

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 04:09 AM
Hmmm..... I can see your point. Let's see... I'm fiddling with the naming conventions a bit.... and I think I'd prefer to keep the Earth Ponies as LA +0 as sort of the baseline. Let's tweak the ability scores though..... I also changed the bonus to Move Silently to Swim, to make them a little more athletic and to distance them from the original halfling stats I modded them from.

How does this look?

Version 2:

Earth Pony

Statistics:

+2 Constitution, -2 Dexterity.
Small: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Earth Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
+2 racial bonus on Climb, Jump, Listen, and Swim checks.
Stability: An Earth Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Even though they lack hands, Earth Ponies are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Earth Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Unicorn Pony

Statistics:

+2 Intelligence, +2 Charisma, -2 Strength, -2 Dexterity
Small: As a Small creature, a Unicorn Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Unicorn Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
Stability: A Unicorn Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Arcane Ability: Unicorn Ponies with Intelligence or Charisma scores of 10 or higher can cast cantrips as a racial ability. They may choose one 0-level spell per +1 modifier on Charisma or Intelligence (whichever is higher) and cast that spell at-will. They are always treated as a level 1 caster for these spells and are subject to arcane spell failure, but do not need to prepare them. These spells are handled separately from any other spell-casting the Unicorn Pony may be capable of.
Increased Caster Level: Unicorn Ponies are considered to have +1 caster level for purposes such as spell range, duration, and damage. They do not gain any other benefits of caster level, such as class features of spells know, earlier than other races.
Empowered Magic: One per day, a Unicorn Pony can apply the Empower Spell feat to any spell as it is being cast without incurring the normal spell slot penalty. This must be declared before casting the spell and is lost if the spell cannot be completed for any reason.
Even though they lack hands, Unicorn Ponies are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Wizard or Sorcerer. As soon as a level in either is taken, the player must decide which will permanently be considered favored.
+1 Level Adjustment

Pegasus Pony

Statistics:

Small: As a Small creature, a Pegasus Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Pegasus Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
Stability: A Pegasus Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Gliding: A Pegasus Pony can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Pegasus Ponies glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if her maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A Pegasus Pony can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Pegasus Pony becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Pegasus Pony descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Flight: When a Pegasus Pony reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Pegasus Pony can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasus Ponies can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Pegasus Ponies can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Pegasus Ponies have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Pegasus Pony with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Pegasus Pony can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Pegasus Pony with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line.
Wing Buffet: A Pegasus Pony has two wing attacks as secondary natural weapons (damage 1d6 for a Medium creature) and may make a special bull-rush attack with a range of 25ft, +5ft per two character levels once per two rounds. This is a ranged attack which must be made with the Pegasus Pony's wings, and the Pegasus Pony does not move with his target, but otherwise functions as a normal bull rush.
Shielding Wing: The Pegasus Pony may encase themselves in their own wings, gaining a +4 shield bonus to AC when they take the total defense action, +1 per three character levels.
Even though they lack hands, Pegasus Ponies are able to use their hooves to manipulate items and use equipment in the same exact way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Pegasus Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
+1 Level Adjustment

Serpentine
2011-01-11, 04:16 AM
Pffff. 'sbeen done (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/dd/20060401a) :smallwink:

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 04:18 AM
Except that was an April Fool's joke and they didn't actually make it.

Serpentine
2011-01-11, 04:22 AM
Shhhhhhhhhut uu-up!

Lix Lorn
2011-01-11, 05:23 AM
I love you. xD :smallbiggrin:

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 07:25 AM
The next question of course is to figure out what the mechanical benefits should be a of a feat for Pegasus Ponies that causes them to leave brightly-colored trails behind them as they fly.

Serpentine
2011-01-11, 07:27 AM
Sounds like prestidigitation to me. Mind, I haven't actually watched the show - think I should, though.

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 07:40 AM
It's all up on Youtube. You can get episode titles here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/My_Little_Pony:_Friendship_is_Magic#Season_1:_.282 010-2011.29

Golden-Esque
2011-01-11, 01:00 PM
At least I don't feel so bad for downloading Season One of Curious George onto my computer for the kid I babysit xD.

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 06:25 PM
Version 3! Changes focus on Pegasus Ponies and some of their cloud interaction abilities. Also, brightly-colored trails while flying.

Earth Pony

Statistics:

Small: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Earth Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
Stability: An Earth Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Even though they lack hands, Earth Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Earth Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.

Unicorn Pony

Statistics:

Small: As a Small creature, a Unicorn Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Unicorn Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
Stability: A Unicorn Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Arcane Ability: Unicorn Ponies with Intelligence or Charisma scores of 10 or higher can cast cantrips as a racial ability. They may choose one 0-level spell per +1 modifier on Charisma or Intelligence (whichever is higher) and cast that spell at-will. They are always treated as a level 1 caster for these spells and are subject to arcane spell failure, but do not need to prepare them. These spells are handled separately from any other spell-casting the Unicorn Pony may be capable of.
Increased Caster Level: Unicorn Ponies are considered to have +1 caster level for purposes such as spell range, duration, and damage. They do not gain any other benefits of caster level, such as class features of spells know, earlier than other races.
Empowered Magic: One per day, a Unicorn Pony can apply the Empower Spell feat to any spell as it is being cast without incurring the normal spell slot penalty. This must be declared before casting the spell and is lost if the spell cannot be completed for any reason.
Even though they lack hands, Unicorn Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
+1 Level Adjustment

Pegasus Pony

Statistics:

Small: As a Small creature, a Pegasus Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use, and her lifting and carrying limits are three-quarters of those of a Medium character.
Pegasus Pony base land speed is 20 feet.
Stability: A Pegasus Pony gains a +4 bonus on ability checks made to resist being bull rushed or tripped when standing on the ground (but not when climbing, flying, riding, or otherwise not standing firmly on the ground).
Gliding: A Pegasus Pony can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Pegasus Ponies glide at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). Even if her maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A Pegasus Pony can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Pegasus Pony becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Pegasus Pony descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
Flight: When a Pegasus Pony reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Pegasus Pony can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasus Ponies can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Pegasus Ponies can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Pegasus Ponies have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Pegasus Pony with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Pegasus Pony can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Pegasus Pony with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line. While using the run action and flying, the Pegasus Pony leaves a brightly colored trail behind them, the exact appearance of which depends on the individual Pegasus.
Wing Buffet: A Pegasus Pony has two wing attacks as secondary natural weapons (damage 1d6 for a Medium creature) and may make a special bull-rush attack with a range of 25ft, +5ft per two character levels once per two rounds. This is a ranged attack which must be made with the Pegasus Pony's wings, and the Pegasus Pony does not move with his target, but otherwise functions as a normal bull rush.
Shielding Wing: The Pegasus Pony may encase themselves in their own wings, gaining a +4 shield bonus to AC when they take the total defense action, +1 per three character levels.
Cloudwalking: A Pegasus Pony can tread on clouds or fog as though on solid ground. The ability functions continuously but can be negated or resumed at will. They may also otherwise interact with clouds as though they are made of a solid material, at DM discretion.
Even though they lack hands, Pegasus Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
Favored Class: Any. When determining whether a multiclass Pegasus Pony takes an experience point penalty, his or her highest-level class does not count.
+1 Level Adjustment

Spamotron
2011-01-11, 07:54 PM
How are you going to handle the Pegasus Ponie's weather manipulation abilities? By herself Rainbow Dash can trigger lightning bolts (Griffon the Brush Off) and create whirlwinds (Swarm of the Century). Granted she has advanced training that might translate to a PRC. But its an issue for the regular Pegasuses as well. Individually they aren't that powerful but the things they can do get pretty crazy when a bunch of them work together. For example the whirlwind/cloud drill they did in Winter Wrap Up

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 07:57 PM
I'm not sure I'm up to make a good PrC, but that would probably be the best way to handle the weather manipulation stuff since it doesn't seem to be a thing every pegasus does. We never see Fluttershy do it, for example.

Spamotron
2011-01-11, 08:07 PM
Another thing why small sized? Judging their proportions against other animals, trees and terrain they appear Medium sized in show to me. They still count as "little" because mundane ponies and horses are Large in DnD.

Owrtho
2011-01-11, 08:53 PM
Also seems that they should be quadrupeds, and have at least 30' movement speed.

I'd also note that unicorns display the ability to mentally manipulate objects, likely akin to mage hand.

You also seem to have left out winged unicorns (of which there are a few).

Owrtho

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 09:05 PM
The telekinesis is covered. See the unicorn cantrips. They just need to pick mage hand as one of them.

Size is a little hard to judge, since there's no humans around and we can't necessarily assume that anything else is the same size it would be in real life. I did specify them as magical beasts instead of humanoids, so that covers the quadruped part, but I think they should probably stick at the current speed unless I bump them up to medium.

And yeah, there are a coupled winged unicorns on the show, but those aren't really PC race material. I see Celestia and Luna as heavily templated DM-only variants. I mean, they're apparently some kind of pseudo-deity with the whole power over the sun and moon thing. And living for thousands of years.

Vessiel
2011-01-11, 10:17 PM
I'm not the only one this crazy! (http://forum.rpg.net/showthread.php?t=554768)

Fitting the ponies into DnD classes is hard. The show just isn't combat oriented enough. But it's fun to imagine "My Little Combat Ponies" you could build off this. Flutteryshy, Pegasus Druid, casting "Summon Rabbits" to hold off the advancing goblin hordes. Rarity, Unicorn Rogue, palming a diamond as she talks her way out of the dragon's den (wait...), Applejack, Pony Barbarian, plowing ahead no matter how many wounds she takes... this is fitting better than I expected, actually.

Waspinator
2011-01-11, 10:23 PM
Well, yeah. The whole point of D&D stats like this is basically to use them in the D&D combat system. If you're wanting a true to the show, most problems solved by non-violent solutions game, the rules probably don't matter that much.

And I see Rarity as some kind of Artificer, myself.

Owrtho
2011-01-11, 10:39 PM
Size is a little hard to judge, since there's no humans around and we can't necessarily assume that anything else is the same size it would be in real life. I did specify them as magical beasts instead of humanoids, so that covers the quadruped part, but I think they should probably stick at the current speed unless I bump them up to medium.

On the size issue, I'll point out that in all fictional settings you can only base things off of how they look relative to their surroundings. Otherwise you could say the humans in a setting are actually 50 feet tall and everything else is scaled to match. As such saying you can't assume everything else is the same size as in real life is a fairly poor argument (given that if you can't assume other things are, why would you be able to assume humans are if they were in the setting).

Except that quadruped is actually a specific trait that must be mentioned. It affects carrying capacity, allowing the creature to carry more than a biped of the same size. See the second paragraph of Bigger and Smaller Creatures (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/carryingCapacity.htm#biggerandSmallerCreatures). As such you should mention it. As for speed, given they are horses they should be at least as fast as a normal person. And given they are faster than things that could be considered the same size (like dragons), it makes sense that they would be faster than normal small creatures.

Owrtho

Vessiel
2011-01-11, 10:52 PM
For size, the clearest comparison I remember is Applejack with the herd of cows. Applejack is clearly much smaller than the cows, about the size of a work dog (but much bigger than her little collie). So, I think smaller than a human, maybe not enough to be "small" since riding dogs are medium.

On the other hand, My Little Ponies. They have to be small size. Anything else is just wrong.

On speed, I agree. Those ponies can hoof it. For an example, see Applejack with the stampede again.

Vessiel
2011-01-11, 10:57 PM
Well, yeah. The whole point of D&D stats like this is basically to use them in the D&D combat system. If you're wanting a true to the show, most problems solved by non-violent solutions game, the rules probably don't matter that much.

Well, it depends on the rules. Some make social conflict central to the game, even some 3.5 variants. And there is always the bluff, perform and diplomacy skills.

And I see Rarity as some kind of Artificer, myself.

We don't really see her create anything except art. Now, Pinkie Pie as a mad artificer, that would explain a lot.

Waspinator
2011-01-12, 12:03 AM
Pinkie's probably using a mechanic class from some steampunk setting and no one's brave enough to tell her to stop.

And ok, I'll probably bump up the pony speed a little bit. And add the quadruped carrying limits. Also, think I should make them count as humanoids for the purposes of mind-affecting spells? Since ponies as depicted on the show are very human-like mentally and it would be a balancing point against them to be vulnerable to that stuff, and I'm slightly worried that I may be giving them too many good traits.

On size, if we assume real world animal sizes, let's look at this screenshot I just took:
http://img33.imageshack.us/img33/6655/ponysize.jpg
A typical dog is Small:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/dog.htm
And a bison (couldn't find cow stats, but is probably close enough) is Large:
http://www.d20srd.org/srd/monsters/bison.htm

Honestly, Applejack (the pony) isn't THAT much bigger than Rinoa (the dog). These ponies are probably on kind of the high end of Small or low end of Medium so it's kind of a judgement call.

Waspinator
2011-01-12, 12:49 AM
Version 4! Upped land speed and quadruped carrying limits. Also, changed how they're affected by mind-affecting spells.

Earth Pony

Statistics:

Type: Magical Beast, treated as Humanoid for the purposes of Mind-Affecting spells and abilities.
Small Quadruped: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use. Her lifting and carrying limits are the same as those of a Medium character.
Earth Pony base land speed is 30 feet.
Even though they lack hands, Earth Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.

Unicorn Pony

Statistics:

Type: Magical Beast, treated as Humanoid for the purposes of Mind-Affecting spells and abilities.
Small Quadruped: As a Small creature, an Earth Pony gains a +1 size bonus to Armor Class, a +1 size bonus on attack rolls, and a +4 size bonus on Hide checks, but she uses smaller weapons than humans use. Her lifting and carrying limits are the same as those of a Medium character.
Unicorn Pony base land speed is 30 feet.
Even though they lack hands, Unicorn Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
+1 Level Adjustment

Pegasus Pony

Statistics:

Pegasus Pony base land speed is 30 feet.
Flight: When a Pegasus Pony reaches 5 Hit Dice, she becomes able to fly at a speed of 40 feet (average maneuverability). A Pegasus Pony can't fly while carrying a medium or heavy load or while fatigued or exhausted. Pegasus Ponies can safely fly for a number of rounds equal to double their Constitution modifier (minimum 1 round). They can exert themselves to fly for up to twice as long, but then they're fatigued at the end of the flight. They are likewise fatigued after spending a total of more than 10 minutes per day flying. Because Pegasus Ponies can glide before, after, and between rounds of actual flight, they can remain aloft for extended periods (even if they can only use flight for 1 round at a time without becoming fatigued). When they reach 10 Hit Dice, Pegasus Ponies have enough stamina and prowess to fly for longer periods. They can fly at a speed of 60 feet (average maneuverability), and flying requires no more exertion than walking or running. A Pegasus Pony with flight can make a dive attack. A dive attack works like a charge, but the creature must move a minimum of 30 feet and descend at least 10 feet. A Pegasus Pony can make a dive attack only when wielding a piercing weapon; if the attack hits, it deals double damage. A Pegasus Pony with flight can use the run action while flying, provided she flies in a straight line. While using the run action and flying, the Pegasus Pony leaves a brightly colored trail behind them, the exact appearance of which depends on the individual Pegasus.
Cloudwalking: A Pegasus Pony can tread on clouds or fog as though on solid ground. The ability functions continuously but can be negated or resumed at will. They may also otherwise interact with clouds as though they are made of a solid material, at DM discretion.
Even though they lack hands, Pegasus Ponies are able to use a combination of their hooves and mouths in order to manipulate items and use equipment in the way that humanoids can. Just accept it and move on.
+1 Level Adjustment

Admiral Squish
2011-01-12, 01:06 AM
You know, you could edit your first post, so people don't have to scroll down to find the latest version.

Also, I watched the first two episodes. I was pleasantly surprised.
"Is she really going to-?" *Pinkie starts singing* "Yup, she is."

Waspinator
2011-01-12, 05:12 PM
Eh, I kind of like having all of the edits saved. I'll edit a note into the first post that there are later ones, though.

And yeah, the occasional musical numbers are awesome.

invinible
2011-01-27, 02:27 AM
I signed up specifically for this thread.

First off, the manipulation of objects for the ponies should come with penalties for them using their respective hooves, mouths, and fetlocks in such a manor with them being lesser penalties for earth ponies as they typically don't have means to control items.

Second off, unicorn ponies need to be able to make physical attacks with their respective horns given that you gave pegasus ponies the ability to attack and with their wings which is much less obvious than an unicorn pony attacking with their horn.

Third off, you need to mention something about Winking since it was highly used by the unicorn ponies throughout the series. Basically winking is disappearing and than reappearing somewhere else within close sight range provided that the path from point A to point B has a means where it is possible not to go through solid objects and isn't instant death. This can be used to escape sticky traps only but using this to avoid getting caught in a trap that was already strung on your character before getting caught by the said trap is allowed. I don't care if this is a unicorn pony feature ability or a feat that can be taken as early as character level 1/class level 1 by any character whom is either magical type creature like the unicorn ponies or part of a magic base class like wizard.

Finally, both unicorn ponies and pegasus ponies need to have enough drawbacks so they are more in line with the earth ponies but don't do so by taking away their advantages as I feel there is another way to lower them down to the point where there respective LA+1s can just be throw out so that they don't end up either being the go to ponies or the avoid at all cost ponies.

Clockworkchaos
2011-02-10, 01:33 PM
Third off, you need to mention something about Winking since it was highly used by the unicorn ponies throughout the series. Basically winking is disappearing and than reappearing somewhere else within close sight range provided that the path from point A to point B has a means where it is possible not to go through solid objects and isn't instant death. This can be used to escape sticky traps only but using this to avoid getting caught in a trap that was already strung on your character before getting caught by the said trap is allowed. I don't care if this is a unicorn pony feature ability or a feat that can be taken as early as character level 1/class level 1 by any character whom is either magical type creature like the unicorn ponies or part of a magic base class like wizard.

I have to disagree. We see one unicorn, (Twilight) use teleporting. Neither rarity, snips, snails, nor Trixie demonstrate any teleportation, even in situations where is would be highly useful. (such as having just woken the Ursa, or Trixie's attempt to make a grand exit, where she ends up merely using smoke and running away). As such, it would seem to be much more reasonable to put it down as a spell or class feature, and not something innately related to unicorns.

Super_Fluous
2011-02-10, 08:02 PM
I'll admit, I feel a tad silly posting on this thread, but what about statting up Zebras as well? Maybe a bonus to Wisdom, and Brew Potion as a bonus feat, as a start?

Waspinator
2011-02-10, 08:11 PM
Ok, haven't been around much. I'll work on another version soon. My thoughts:

Yeah, Unicorns and Pegasi probably need to be toned down a little bit.

About object manipulation, I think that's best left to the territory of roleplaying. D&D doesn't model some parts of behavior in very high detail, such as being left-handed vs right-handed, and I honestly think for the sake of simplicity and playability we should just ignore how ponies are able to competently handle objects.

About teleporting, if we're going by the current show, only Twilight, Celestia, and Luna seem to be able to do it. They are probably moderately high level Sorcerers who know Dimension Door.

And hmmm, I don't know if Zebras really need separate stats from the Earth Ponies. Zecora doesn't seem very different physically and we don't see any others to try to establish any kind of baseline as to whether they've got any particular leaning mentally or anything.

invinible
2011-02-11, 09:24 AM
You really should check out: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10267495&postcount=15 as it shows flaws in your creation that I somehow overlooked too.

And I still think it is possible to lower the races to the 8 - 12 point range on that scale especially if you use wielding penalties for the various ways they can wield stuff giving that for the typical D&D player races that the members will wield stuff using hands.

And the reason I picked winking over transportation in that comment was that unicorn ponies tend to abuse the former in the G1 series with those in each following series seem to show capability of it. While the later was more used by accident.

And please avoid race classes. That actually turns most players away from that race as they don't like the idea of being forced into a class that they otherwise would let them pick their own class choices.

Lix Lorn
2011-02-11, 10:50 AM
...But this isn't pathfinder? Am I missing something?

invinible
2011-02-13, 02:21 PM
I'm so interested in this thread in that I want actually playable my little pony races for D&D games.

And after thinking about it some: I don't think giving the Pegasus Ponies the ability to guaranteed their falls (different from basically floating/gliding there) to a certain maximum speed, but should instead of a greater chance of slowing their respective falls because of their wings in compared to other races.

Waspinator
2011-02-13, 02:23 PM
Ummm... yeah. This wasn't meant to be Pathfinder. I was going for normal 3.5.

invinible
2011-02-13, 11:12 PM
I just compared how Pathfinder does races to D&D and the difference seems to be that of favouring to better fix the different systems than actual different in playable features. In fact, with the slightly higher stat allowance in that system for races, being an overpowered race in that system means definitely being overpowered in D&D.

Ajadea
2011-02-13, 11:30 PM
The way the Unicorn Pony and Pegasus Pony are shaping up, I don't think they actually need the bonus feat, which is almost certainly a relic from being based off Strongheart Halflings more than anything else. They're horses, not halflings. Removing that from those races might help with balance.

Waspinator
2011-02-13, 11:46 PM
Yeah, whenever I get around to sitting down and making a new version I'm thinking that feat's going to go on them. It would help tone them down and differentiate the types by giving the Earth Ponies something the others don't get.

invinible
2011-02-25, 06:08 PM
Here is how I see how the carrying/holding penalties I stated earlier in this thread should be able to be done without ruining the races you have here:

{table=header]|doesn't have a means to properly substitute hands by game specific rules without having to go into individual character/race/class rules|does have a means to properly substitute hands by game specific rules without having to go into individual character/race/class rules
Realistically would have no difficulty based on rules in effect|-0|-0
Realistically would have slight difficulty based on rules in effect|-1|-2
Realistically would have moderate difficulty based on rules in effect|-2|-4
Realistically would have high difficulty based on rules in effect|-4|-8
Realistically would be unable to do so with rules in effect|auto epic fail|auto epic fail[/table]

And hopefully, this post will allow you to post your next version without fear of double posting.

Maquark
2011-03-22, 12:13 PM
Can you make a pony race template for Zebra (i.e Zecora) as well?

Rainbownaga
2011-03-23, 04:31 AM
I have to disagree. We see one unicorn, (Twilight) use teleporting. Neither rarity, snips, snails, nor Trixie demonstrate any teleportation, even in situations where is would be highly useful. (such as having just woken the Ursa, or Trixie's attempt to make a grand exit, where she ends up merely using smoke and running away). As such, it would seem to be much more reasonable to put it down as a spell or class feature, and not something innately related to unicorns.

I think Invinible is talking to the original series where all unicorn ponies could blink/wink at will.

invinible
2011-05-02, 07:35 PM
I think we are going to need rules for cutie marks if we are using these 3 races.

Here are cutie mark rules that I figure would be correct:

1. Can only have as many cutie marks as your character has personalities, all of which are to be chosen by the DM(s) rather the the player(s) controlling the character(s). (Remember there is a different between bipolar or so personality and multiple personalities even if the latter also has 1 or more of the former within them.)

2. The cutie mark that is visible to see to see at any point is based on the character's personality their personality in charge.

3. If multiple personalities are in charge of the character at the same time than the cutie marks that represent each of the controlling personalities rotate in a cycle.

4. If somebody tries to get a cutie mark by forcing it than they are straight out denied the cutie mark every time they do so.

5. If the character's cutie mark is beyond recommission once your character is dead than anybody whom attempts to resurrect that character can forego trying to restore the cutie mark so they don't have to deal with the penalty of getting the mark wrong rather causing a new blank flank status expect if the resurrecter is the character being resurrected whom than must always attempt to restore the cutie mark to its previous state than.

6. Cutie marks don't carry over between reincarnations.

7. Cutie mark is determined when 1 or more facts of the character are so strongly represented by the character at a time they aren't trying to force them as such.

and 8. Cutie marks are only visible in a race form that the race's template states the race is associated with cutie marks.

With all that I think cutie marks should be a -1 cost in determining races based on the link to the Pathfinder creation race rules I linked to earlier in this thread.

Agent_0042
2011-05-03, 12:59 PM
One possibility would be to model the cutie marks using the Dragonmark rules in Eberron. That's what some friends and I planned to do for a Ponyfinder game we were in.

Arghaeopteryx
2011-05-07, 10:08 AM
For an upcoming Eberron campaign some folks from an IRC and I are putting together, I was originally going to roll up a Artificer....until one of my fellow players stumbled upon this thread...and I was immediately tickled by the notion of a sentient pony slaying it's way into the chronicles of legend. I just wanted to share some thoughts, and ask for some advice on playing a magic pony in D&D, but I'm afraid I'm new to this forum.

I feel like both the Wing Buffet and Shielding wing are inappropriate for the Pegasus Pony. I don't recall a time in the show where the ponies used their wings like that to protect themselves....or in a way other than hiding their face/eyes from something unpleasant. I also don't seem to recall any of them using their wings to knock anything about. I haven't seen the latest three episodes, though, so I might be mistaken. In either case, I don't think their wings are actually big enough to accomplish either ability. The ponies themselves are already small, and their wings are quite tiny in comparison to their frames....getting hit with them wouldn't be concerning for anything large than a rodent, and they couldn't possibly cover their whole bodies. I might getting a little pedantic with the size thing there....but it still just doesn't feel right to me.

With those abilities removed, and considering they don't learn flight until 5th level....I think that might be enough to eliminate the rather debilitating +1 LA? Well, debilitating for the game I've got coming up. Along an Human Ozordrin, two Warforged (Shaper and Favored Soul), a Telepath Elan, and myself as Pegasus Pony Dragonfire Adept....because a flying, firebreathing pony seemed just too delicious to pass up. Considering the company...I'm sure it won't feel out of place. Also considering that dragons are part of both the D&D and MLP canons, it seemed reasonable fitting.

I wasn't familiar with Dragonfire Adepts until now (the same helpful teammate pointed me to it as a possibility), and I've been mulling over something in relation to the Cloudwalking ability...specifically the bit that allow the character to interact with clouds as a solid. Both the Cloudbreath breath effect, and the Lingering Breath metabreath feat can be used convert breath weapons into...clouds. Now, if one were to use extremely high movement speed in combination with these, the Flyby Attack feat, and other abilities like the Clinging Breath metabreath feet that extend the duration of your breath weapons, you could fill a ridiculously large area with fiery doom. I haven't done any exact maths, but just as a ballpark simple example:

Let's assume a movement speed of just 100 ft, and applying Lingering Breath+Clinging Breath on a 30ft cone breath, say Frost Breath, you've managed to fill a 100x30x30ft area with cold damage. That's pretty awesome. Now, here's where that Cloudwalking gets fun....depending on DM and how we're interpreting it. Since you can manipulate (which I assume means I can push it, at the least), the next round you can move that cloud 100ft. So in two rounds, you've swept a 100x100x30 section of battlefield with frosty doom...

Now make that Fivefold Breath of Tiamat instead...and Maximize Breath it for good measure. Dragon Friendship is magic.

So, if I've not made some sort of error in my assessment, this class can take a mechanically mundane, but flavorful racial ability....and turn it into glorious, ponypocalyptic madness.

Have I misinterpreted something? Should the Cloudwalking ability be reworked? Removed? Maybe add movement restrictions on the cloud manipulation? Does someone else have suggestions on how else Cloudwalking could be used, or be useful? Is Derpy Hooves my intellectual superior? Should there be some sort of cloud-related prestige class? Or should this just be a DM call? Are there 'propriate pony PrCs to ponder? I was thinking of modding the Stormtalon. Equestria seems to have a military....

DracoDei
2011-05-07, 10:38 AM
Where I think your mistake lies:
What effect, if any, are you using to make the cone's creation anything other than instantaneous? I know that lingering means it sticks around, but it is still an instantaneous creation, and so your movement speed is irrelevant to its size.

babus
2011-05-07, 04:58 PM
I agree with him that the LA could be dropped if you got rid of the Wing Buffet + Wing Shield abilities (they indeed haven't exhibited such feats in the show, as far as memory serves), so long as the free feat is also dropped. Heck, if you really wanted to make sure it was balanced, you could even remove Sturdy, with the justification that they're still flying creatures, and so not exceptionally comfortable on the ground. This isn't to say they'd take a penalty, but they might at least have no greater balance than those with two feet.

Of course, let's remember that this isn't flying right off the bat like a lot of races. Pegasus don't even get the most basic form of it (as Argh mentioned) until they reach 5 hit dice, and they don't get real flight until ten hit dice. And Cloudwalking is a really cool flavor ability, don't get me wrong, but it isn't something that tilts the LA argument one way or the other.

Concerning a cloud related Prestige Class... might indeed be rather interesting, even if DracoDei is correct that the instantaneous nature of breath effects robs them of such hax as you spoke of. Perhaps something related to weather control, or building with them for the purpose of creating mobile bases? All sorts of fun stuff.

And as far as a Stormtalon based PrC goes, if Dragonfire Adepts are common among Pegasus (makes sense that little flyers might worship the big ones), they might indeed have a class that mixes aerial maneuvering with breath effects or at least gives you spell levels, possibly called the Shadowbolts?

Arghaeopteryx
2011-05-07, 05:06 PM
Oh, right. I forgot to mention Strafing Breath, from DragonLance Campaign Setting, allowing the breath to cover the an area during a flyby attack. That was kinda critical to the whole thing. From the book:

"Strafing Breath [General]

You can sustain your breath weapon on the wing, covering a larger ground area in its affect.

Prerequisites: Fly speed, breath weapon, Flyby Attack Flyby Breath

Benefit: When you use your breath weapon while flying (either with a single move, using the Flyby Attack feat, or with a double move, using the Flyby Breath feat) you can extend the area covered by your breath weapon on the ground. You can use your breath weapon over a distance up to half your fly speed if you move in a straight line along that distance. To determine the affected area, find the area your breath weapon would normally affect on the ground, then extend that area in a straight line the desired distance. Measure the extended distance from the center of the effect.

For example, an adult blue dragon has a fly speed of 150 feet, and its breath weapon is a 100-foot line of lightning. Normally, its breath weapon would cover a single 5-foot-by-5-foot circle on the ground, since a line if 5 feet wide and 5 feet high. Using Strafing Breath, it can cover an area 5 feet wide and 75 feet long (half its fly speed)

An old red dragon has a fly speed of 200 feet, and its breath weapon is a 120-foot cone. If it is flying at an altitude of 80 feet, its breath weapon affects a circle on the ground with a radius of 80 feet. Using Strafing Breath, it can cover an oblong area 80 feet wide and 180 feet long, with both ends shaped like half circles."

So make the breath weapon a cloud....and now with extended durations from the other metabreath feats....you have that column of gruesome death with which you can sweep a whole battlefield....utilizing the Cloudwalking ability of Pegasus Ponies, anyhow.

babus
2011-05-08, 04:26 PM
That seems to fit more in the category of cool things you can do with basic abilities at high levels than gamebreaking hax, in my humble opinion. Don't forget you share this game with Wizards, and so long as your DM is aware that you're capable of doing this, it shouldn't be a problem.

Hmm... and concerning the previously mentioned PrC, perhaps you could look into a custom chain of feats before going that far? Might add some more flavor to the Pegasus.

Mayhem
2011-05-08, 07:53 PM
I just compared how Pathfinder does races to D&D and the difference seems to be that of favouring to better fix the different systems than actual different in playable features. In fact, with the slightly higher stat allowance in that system for races, being an overpowered race in that system means definitely being overpowered in D&D.
The race balance between 3.5 and pathfinder is very, very, different. Wealth-by-level in pathfinder is higher, the classes are stronger, and I don't think level adjustment even exists in pathfinder. Also that system you linked to is only a guide, DMs using it must reserve their judgement because some points simply aren't worth as much in the context of the race as the system would say they are. Furthermore, pathfinder rates things differently than 3.5, for example in 3.5 powerful build is a LA+1 ability hands down where as in pathfinder it isn't.

Hope that explains somewhat why they aren't using those rules mate. :smallwink:

I think the pegasus ponies are very borderline in their level adjustment. Maybe you should try to somehow buff the earth ponies to bring them up to a similar level? Skip that, how about making the wing shield ability a racial feat? That would bring their power down. Goddamn it, how many versions of these ponies do you have?:smallbiggrin:
Could you link to the latest version in the first post? That'd be very helpful.

DracoDei
2011-05-09, 10:44 PM
Pushing the cloud seems like it would be... pushing it, no pun intended (but it is welcome since it came).

Since it requires 3 different meta-breath feats to pull off, I don't think it is likely to be hax without that... of course, as long as you push from the CENTER (requiring you to travel halfway back down parallel to the route you took the first time) and have to deal with the energy damage (including via resistance/immunity which Dragonfire Adept probably gives you), I don't know if it would be THAT bad since it takes 2 rounds.

Ezekiel Moon
2011-06-29, 01:37 AM
Hold on. You've got all three varieties listed as Small, based on a comparison of Applejack to a dog and some cows.

Applejack is a child.

Look at the adults in the series - the tennis pony, Derpy's boss, Zecora, Big Macintosh. They should be Medium easily.

radmelon
2011-06-29, 01:51 AM
Dude, this thread is several months old. While not quite breaking-the-rules old, this thread pretty much died.

Ezekiel Moon
2011-06-29, 02:17 AM
...sorry. I blame Google.

Cipher Stars
2011-06-29, 07:03 AM
Dude, this thread is several months old. While not quite breaking-the-rules old, this thread pretty much died.
dead? in that case...

Earth Pony

Statistics:

+2 Strength, -2 Dexterity.
Medium Quadruped: As a Medium creature, an Earth Pony gains no benefits or penalties relating to size. Her lifting and carrying limits are the same as those of a Large character.
Earth Pony base land speed is 40 feet.

Unicorn Pony

Statistics:

+2 Intelligence, +1 Strength, -1 Dexterity
Medium Quadruped: As a Medium creature, an Earth Pony gains no benefits or penalties relating to size. Her lifting and carrying limits are the same as those of a Large character.
Unicorn Pony base land speed is 40 feet.
Arcane Ability: Unicorn Ponies with Intelligence or Charisma scores of 10 or higher can cast cantrips as a racial ability. They may choose one 0-level spell per +1 modifier on Charisma or Intelligence (whichever is higher) and cast that spell at-will. They treat they're caster level as 1 + any casting class levels for these cantrips.
Increased Caster Level: Unicorn Ponies are considered to have +1 caster level to evocation magic for purposes such as spell range, duration, and damage. They do not gain any other benefits of caster level, such as class features of spells known, earlier than other races.
+1 Level Adjustment

Pegasus Pony

Statistics:

+2 Dexterity, +2 Constitution, -2 Strength.
Pegasus Pony base land speed is 40 feet.
Gliding: A Pegasus Pony can use her wings to glide, negating damage from a fall of any height and allowing 20 feet of forward travel for every 5 feet of descent. Pegasus Ponies glide at a speed of 50 feet (average maneuverability). Even if her maneuverability improves, she can't hover while gliding. A Pegasus Pony can't glide while carrying a medium or heavy load. If a Pegasus Pony becomes unconscious or helpless while in midair, her wings naturally unfurl and powerful ligaments stiffen the wings. The Pegasus Pony descends in a tight corkscrew and takes only 1d6 points of falling damage, no matter what the actual distance of the fall.
+1 Level Adjustment

I haven't watched the show so I don't claim to be making it anymore or less accurate to what your going for, but these now seem more playable in my eyes after the small modifications and I may actually play it now sometime.

babus
2011-06-29, 01:13 PM
Er...

They are young adults, but with a maturity level of anywhere from 12 - 18. I guess I sort of justify it in my head that in real life, horses are adults by the time they are 2 or so. MLPs are horses with human brains, so they grow up fast, but mature slower....?

It's imprecise, but that's kind of what I'm thinking. At the end of the day, they need to be relatable to younger kids, but stories about going to school and dealing with parents isn't what I wanted to do so, there you have it.

Source: http://comments.deviantart.com/5/35510074/1770555388

The Cutie Mark Crusader trio and their classmates are a better example of children.

The males actually do seem quite a bit bigger on average, though, with a few exceptions like the Queen, who is a divine superbeing, and Zecora, who is a Zebra.

Using Applejack as a reference, we don't really see that many females a full size category larger, even among the older ones.