PDA

View Full Version : Character Builder Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 [8]

ex cathedra
2009-07-04, 04:46 PM
Clerics may trade in two of their domains for domain Devotion feats at any time, as long as they are thematically sound.

playswithfire
2009-07-04, 09:58 PM
What? Cloister'd Cleric dip without Travel Devotion? BLASPHEMY!!!

swap out Travel for Travel Devotion using the rules in Complete Champion (where all the Devotion feats are). That 1 level of Cloistered Cleric is giving you 4 bonus feats! Thats pretty awesome.

I bow to the wisdom of the forums (and learn something new in the process). Definitely use Travel instead of Competition and swap it as everyone else suggests. People generally approve of the soundness of the rest of the build, though?

Keld Denar
2009-07-05, 10:47 AM
Yea. playswithfire, build looks sound!

Murphyslabrat
2009-07-07, 01:25 PM
I bow to the wisdom of the forums (and learn something new in the process).
I think I'm downright prostrate right now, so thanks all. I have more questions, but I think they belong in other threads.

I am immensely appreciative of the help.

loopy
2009-07-08, 06:23 AM
Hey all, I was just wondering if I could get a level-by-level 3.5 build of my character Krusk.

Krusk is a raging combat monster, in the style of Urggzob from the Icewind Dale Let's Play (http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/IWD2/).

Basically the character is summarised in 3 quotes:

"Let them come! Urggzob will crush their ambushes!"

"Ha ha! Urggzob is ten dictionaries!"

"Urggzob is the pinnacle of fighting fashion!"

Aaaanyway. Basically I was thinking he'd be a barbarian, as my DM is kind of sick of me pulling classes like "Factotum" and "Swordsage" out of the mix while everyone else uses rangers and fighters out of core.

However, anything out of the PHB, PHB2, or Complete series should be fine as far as building him.

We'll start at level one, and he'll be a Half Orc, stats with racial adjustments are as follows:
Str: 20
Dex: 16
Con: 18
Int: 12
Wis: 16
Cha: 6

I was hoping someone would able to build him up to level 10 with advice as to where to go from there, as I normally play skillmonkey's and have NO IDEA WHAT TO DO (EXCEPT CRUSH)! :smallfurious:

Anyway, thanks for your help. :smallbiggrin:

quick_comment
2009-07-08, 11:09 AM
Im trying to make a psionic summoner that uses white raven tactics. This is at 14th level.

Right now im deciding between wilder 7/Ectopic Adept 5/Warblade 2. He gets ML 14 (with practiced manifester), with +3 wild surge. He gets 4th level maneuvers and 9th level constructs (two of them)

The other idea is Ardent 5/Ectopic Adept 5/Warblade 4. He also gets ML 14 (with practiced manifester)+2 overchannel, more powers than the wilder and initator level 9 for 5th level maneuvers and 8th level constructs. At level 15 he gets overchannel +3 and gets 9th level constructs.

Ive never played an ardent before. Any ideas for deciding/optimized these builds? What mantles should I pick?

Jazarkrazaj
2009-07-09, 07:53 PM
I'll admit, I'm horrible at creating 'Monster' PC's.

1. I need a Level 1 Scout, White Wyrmling Dragon.
2. In your request specify whether you have requirements, preferences, or no limits on the following:
a. Any
b. Baseline White Dragon Wyrmling (Roughly 3 years old)
c. Scout
d. 'baseline' racial scores can be used, or the simple roll 4d6 drop lowest.
e. Chaotic Evil
f. House Rules: None
g. Concept: future co-hort for a Dragonfire Adept Dragonwrought Kobold
h. As sneaky as possible as a Scout would be nice.

playswithfire
2009-07-09, 10:36 PM
Right now im deciding between wilder 7/Ectopic Adept 5/Warblade 2. He gets ML 14 (with practiced manifester), with +3 wild surge. He gets 4th level maneuvers and 9th level constructs (two of them)

The other idea is Ardent 5/Ectopic Adept 5/Warblade 4. He also gets ML 14 (with practiced manifester)+2 overchannel, more powers than the wilder and initator level 9 for 5th level maneuvers and 8th level constructs. At level 15 he gets overchannel +3 and gets 9th level constructs.

Why not Psion(Shaper) instead of Ardent in the second build? Unless there are some mantle-granted abilities you really want, you'd get better synergy and Psion gives you the bonus feats to grab the two required feats for Ectopic Adept.

Player_Zero
2009-07-12, 03:42 AM
Right... So I have to have a 3.5e 13th level human cleric-tank to pretty much carry the group. Mostly we're comprised of suboptimal damage dealing classes and without me there would be no tank, so they would crumble like soft bread.

Basically what I'm looking for is either an idea for some prestige classes to choose, maybe some spell-based tactics to use and of course some feats which would be good.

Any books are allowed, I'm kinda encouraged to go all out on this one by the DM since the next bit is apparently really hard.

So, yeah, any tips on building a tank-based cleric in 3.5e would be greatly appreciated.

Thelas
2009-07-12, 08:54 AM
I need someone to build an NPC opponent for a 3.5 campaign.
a. Books that can be used to build your character
Core, some complete (divine, champion, scoundrel), PHII, the mentioned unearthed arcana only
b. Race: (including any Level Adjustment Limits) A hobgoblin with the zombie template
c. Class: Any fighter-style class from the above books
d. Ability Scores (fixed or generation method): Use the elite array and increase one score by 3, one by 2, and one by 1.
e. Alignment: It's a zombie.
f. House Rules: are there any other requirements or unusual rules imposed on you/your character (e.g. no single level dips, no item creation feats, Track is being given to you as free feat, etc.) The opponents are gestalts. As a major opponent, he'll have two action points to spend [on anything in the Unearthed Arcana stuff]
g. Concept: what requirements or preferences do you have regarding concept? It's a hobgoblin zombie. It'll be fighting three level 3 or 4 gestalts. Classes of the PCs are as follows:
i. Monk//Sorcerer
ii. Cleric//Fighter
iii. Rogue//Swashbuckler
Really, other than that, it's not too important. Maybe try to design it as a hobgoblin fighter that DOESN'T know it's going to be a zombie and apply the template after?
h. Other: Is there any other information that might help someone make your character all she can be (e.g., what are others playing, the setting is largely wilderness, the DM is threatening to use a lot of undead, or the campaign will be heavy on combat and light on intrigue)?
I think I've already listed pretty much everything. The cleric's CHA is 8, so don't worry TOO much about turning.

EDIT:
Oh, I forgot a few things.
Show it level by level please.
Build up to one more than whatever you think is appropriate for the 3 gestalts at level 4 (so that if they get to level 5 somehow I have something prepared.) [Remember, this is a "boss" monster]
Thanks in advance!

arimnaes
2009-07-14, 04:47 PM
Thelas: It will be very difficult to make a credible boss-level threat for three 4th (or so) level gestalt characters out of a hobgoblin zombie. Applying the zombie template to a creature causes it to lose basically everything it gained through experience (since zombies are unintelligent and have no recollection of their former lives.) That includes its HP, BAB, and saves gained from class levels as well as its skills and feats. In other words, even if the hobgoblin was a 20th level fighter in life, in death it will still have a single d12 hit die, no BAB, and no feats.

As far as I know, the only other undead templates that can be added to a creature are Lich, Vampire, and Death Knight. Lich is right out because the hobgoblin in question is not a spellcaster, and the other two are still a pretty far cry from a zombie. You may either have to bend the rules (i.e., call it a zombie while not following the rules for the zombie template) or change your concept.

TheLibrarian
2009-07-14, 08:25 PM
I'm making an Illumian wizard for an upcoming campaign, and I was planning on basing him on word/rune magic, making him a Geometer. Thematically, aside from casting spells, he would make use of scrolls with spell glyphs inscribed on the back of them.
I was wondering if there were any cool word/sigil/glyph based spells out there, so far I've looked through the players hand book and the races of the dragons for the Power word spells, as well as explosive runes and sepia snake sigil and the symbol spells.
Glyph of warding from Geometer will help, but I was wondering if there was anything else out there.

flare'90
2009-07-15, 11:59 AM
Hello boys, I need a full progression (1 to 20) for an Archivist, using a 32-point build. Preferaby Human, but this point can be subject to changes.
Also, if you can, some tips about how to play an archivist are welcomed.

DracoDei
2009-07-15, 12:11 PM
Q. Draco1
I would like to see what an optimizer would do with:
-Mepholk (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=4520583&postcount=3)
-32 point stat buy
- ECL 10 (So 1 racial HD, plus classes and acquired templates)
- no inherited templates
- non-evil alignment
- If possible, play to their racial strengths, rather than just taking a generically good build and slapping it on them (although knowing which generic build they fit best could also be good).

Note the wide selection of racial feats, although they may or may not be useful. Basically I want to get some slightly more empirical data on their balance, and see what roles they fit into.

Keld Denar
2009-07-15, 02:44 PM
Man, that racial HD is killer, but try this...

Any Neutral
RHD1/Hexblade4/Fighter2/SuelArcanamach4/AbjurantChamp5/Spellsword4
Stats: Cha > Con > Str > Int > Dex > Wis

take the Hexblade ACF for the Dark Companion that gives -2 to saves. Take Dreadful Wrath which allows you to make an intimidate roll whenever you attack cast a spell. Take the Never Outnumbered skill trick that lets you make Intimidate checks against multiple foes.

Now, move your dark companion on top of someone, cast a swift spell, like any Abjuration once you have AbjChamp3, and spray them. Their chance of making the save vs your fear will be low, and their chance of making the save vs your spray will be lower. Now that they are sufficently debuffed, your caster friend uses a Save vs Death spell on them or you just melee them with their severly crippled AC.

Other feats that would help would be the Powerful Musk feat and Ability Focus: Musk. Power Attack should probably be in theere somewhere. Everything else is golden.

DracoDei
2009-07-15, 09:39 PM
Thank you very much. As for the Racial HD, it seemed like the closest I could get to LA 0.5 which is where I thought they belonged since they are equal or better than humans on every point EXCEPT favored class (and for NPCs that becomes debatable, but that is a completely different question).

Speaking of favored class, are you sure you don't mean Fighter 3? -20% XP sounds painful.

(now to find out what half those classes actually DO...)

If you are going to be meleeing them, do you suggest taking Stench
Resistance, what about Improved Stench Resistance? Of course, that becomes less important once you get Delay Poison cast on you frequently enough, and moot when the party starts doing Heroes Feast every day...

Roland St. Jude
2009-07-15, 10:50 PM
Sheriff of Moddingham: This thread has reached our 50 page limits. Please check out the new thread.