PDA

View Full Version : [4e] Self-Interaction with Blast Powers.

Coy
2011-01-11, 07:04 AM
Is it possible, with a blast power of lets say, blast 3, to attack from one of your character corners and then have the rest of the power overlap youself?

Making it look a little something like this.

x = you

# = Target areas

x/# # #

# # #

# # #

If so, then not only can it help you hit targets surrounding you, but also be used to trigger certain feats/powers. Like, for a dragonborn sorcerer, Ancient Soul for nigh infinite dragon breaths.

tcrudisi
2011-01-11, 07:13 AM
While I don't have access to my books currently to look up the answer to your question, I can give an answer as to why your idea will not work: close attacks never hurt the caster. There are ways of throwing close attacks to allow them to "hit" the caster, but the caster is immune to their own close attacks. Utilizing Ancient Soul in this way is not possible for this reason.

I'd cite the pages and what-not, but I'm afb.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-11, 07:15 AM
Is it possible, with a blast power of lets say, blast 3, to attack from one of your character corners and then have the rest of the power overlap youself?
No. The rules for blasts in the PHB explicitly do not allow this.

If you need infinite dragon breath cheese, you should use Hurl Breath.

Coy
2011-01-11, 07:18 AM
So the caster themself does not count as a creature when related to their own spells? Source that when you get the chance.

But as far as i can see, there is nothing in blast shape rules that doesnt allow this as a legal target area, with you included.

Mind you, you would have to hit yourself with the power if you wanted to trigger anything.

Kurald Galain
2011-01-11, 07:23 AM
So the caster themself does not count as a creature when related to their own spells?
No, I never said that. The rule is that a close blast is placed adjacent to the caster, not on top of the caster. That is explained in the PHB1.

tcrudisi
2011-01-11, 07:30 AM
Okay, I found it for close bursts. Page 272, PHB1, under Areas of Effect.

"Unless a power description notes otherwise, a close burst you create does not affect you."

As Kurald said, Close Blasts can't be placed on the caster. There are ways of throwing Close Bursts, but you specifically exclude yourself as per the rules cited above.

Loren
2011-01-11, 08:15 AM
Try to describe how the PC is breathing fire onto himself and the area he's attacking. Either he's holding his arms up in front of his mouth (which is probably not sufficient to count as a hit) or he's doing some interesting contortions.

Master_Rahl22
2011-01-11, 11:09 AM
The above posters are correct. You'd need Hurl Breath to turn your dragon breath into an Area attack before you could ever include yourself in it.

Mando Knight
2011-01-11, 12:06 PM
In addition, the Ancient Soul infinite Breath loop requires you to take damage from the element (after resistance is applied)... and since your Breath is now an Arcane attack power (a benefit from Ancient Soul), it ignores your own resistance, and you add your Draconic Power to the damage roll. Lucky you.

Dimers
2011-01-11, 12:07 PM
Arcane Reach would let you hit yourself with close blasts, if you make the blast arcane.