PDA

View Full Version : Considering getting Age of Wonders- but which one?

Dragor
2011-01-11, 07:37 AM
I'm a turn-based strategy fan, but only in the sense that I've probably racked up more hours on Civ IV than any other game combined. I've played Alpha Centauri, Civ II and Gal Civ II, but that's about it. I've heard so much about Age of Wonders that I thought I'd give it a look. The Fall From Heaven 2 mod for Civ IV always made me want a fantasy Civ, and AoW seems like it could fill that gap.

The question is, though, which is worth it? I'd rather not buy three games and have one be superior, unless the storyline is worth it. Any advice from people who've played the games would be appreciated.

Cogwheel
2011-01-11, 08:20 AM
Ha. Storyline.

No. AoW story is... not great. Also I suggest multiplayer, the computer cheats so much it's not even funny.

As for which game? Shadow Magic. Wizard's Throne is very different from the original, but great. Shadow Magic is that, plus more.

rayne_dragon
2011-01-11, 11:25 AM
I'm personally a fan of the original one, but that might be because its the first one I played. I also find that in Shadow Magic while it is easier to dominate a map, its harder to actually make the final push to win the map. It does have some neat new features (which make it slightly more like Civilization than the original) and better graphics. I haven't played Wizard's Throne, so I can't say anything about it.

I think the best way to pick which one you would like better is to ask yourself, as a leader, would you rather be a wizard stuck in your tower or a mage-knight out in the field fighting alongside your best troops? If you'd rather be in your tower, Shadow Magic is the better game for you. If you like running around killing things yourself, go with the original.

Cespenar
2011-01-11, 01:36 PM
Ha. Storyline.

No. AoW story is... not great. Also I suggest multiplayer, the computer cheats so much it's not even funny.

As for which game? Shadow Magic. Wizard's Throne is very different from the original, but great. Shadow Magic is that, plus more.

Pretty much this, except the Wizard's Throne part which I can't comment on, on the account of not having played it.

warty goblin
2011-01-11, 02:20 PM
Impulse has all three in a bundle for $20, so for a little extra cash there's no reason not to grab the whole bunch.

I have played a disgusting amount of Age of Wonders I, and a very small bit of AoW III. I'd say that III is probably mechanically superior, but the original is weirdly more enjoyable thanks to a very elegant design and overall charm.

And the Age of Wonders campaign is actually pretty decent. It's way too slow in the middle, but the end is quite good, and your decisions have pretty major impacts on what ending you get as well as how the game plays out.

Forum Explorer
2011-01-14, 12:08 PM
I played the first and second one and I don't know which one makes a better choice. I would go with the second (or third) from the description. However the AI is completely braindead in the second one. When a city is attacked you can exploit this stupidity to the point where the only thing that threatens you are flying units.

ChowGuy
2011-01-15, 02:13 PM
http://www.schlockmercenary.com/2008-01-02

A lot will depend on what sort of gaming you're interested in.

For single player games, especially the campaign, most veterns seem to prefer the original which has a much more immersive atmoshere, better developed story line, and better replayability due to the fact that it is a branching campaign (ie, there are multiple scenario paths that can be taken). The graphics however are simpler giving it a somewhat retro look that may or may not be to your taste.

For multi-player, AoW:SM is the better and dominant choice, though there remains an active AoW1 PBEM community. AoW2:WT has has what some feel is a better campaign then AoW;SM, but other then that little to recommend it as the SM is a superset of the WT engine, incorporates all of the WT units and gameplay options amd runs all AoW2 single- and multi-player scenarios (other then the campaign itself) and adds additional content.

Note too that all three games include a scenario editor, and there is a considerable libray of custom maps in both formats. However, only SM's editor included modding capabilities, and this is one reason that most people migrated from WT to SM as soon as it was released, and continue to play and expand on it.

Athaniar
2011-01-17, 01:50 PM
I definitely recommend getting Shadow Magic. It's one of my all time favorite games, with both great gameplay and (easy) modding.

Leecros
2011-01-17, 02:07 PM
i know this doesn't help you much, but i played them all and i honestly enjoyed them both. I really don't think you can go wrong.