PDA

View Full Version : Great Old One spotted by Hubble

The Succubus
2011-01-11, 08:49 AM
http://uk.news.yahoo.com/21/20110111/tsc-hubble-telescope-finds-space-blob-4b158bc.html

Mysterious green object my {Scrubbed}, Cthulhu's giving birth to unnatural horrors who are right now on their way here to enslave us all.

GodGoblin
2011-01-11, 09:08 AM
Oh we are so screwed...

monkeysammich
2011-01-11, 09:09 AM
I, for one, welcome our new ancient evil overlords.

Essie
2011-01-11, 09:28 AM
It's me I'm the giant space blob.

Eldan
2011-01-11, 09:32 AM
Wait, I thought the forum's local green great old one was currently under the sea. What's he doing up there?

Winter_Wolf
2011-01-11, 09:36 AM
That's so cool, I can totally see it. Ya, I happen to be the kind of person that usually can't see it, so for me that's cool. :smallredface:

As for the whole watery prison thing, well that's just what they want you to think! They got places to go, people in other galaxies to terrorize.

Eldan
2011-01-11, 10:08 AM
I wasn't thinking of Cthulhu, I was thinking of one of the regular posters here, who is an Eldritch Abomination and looks a little like that. Can't remember his name...

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-11, 10:11 AM
not cthulhu, he's at the bottom of the sea, maybe Cxaxukluth or Azathoth

EDIT: Glyphstone?

Sipex
2011-01-11, 10:25 AM
News in 20 years: Hubble telescope picks out Dell laptop amidst the green space blob.

Eldan
2011-01-11, 10:26 AM
Given that this thing is the size of our galaxy, I doubt we'll get such a good resolution :smalltongue:

DraPrime
2011-01-11, 11:00 AM
Didn't you hear? It's powered by a quasar! The moment it gets too far from that it dies. We're safe.

Chainsaw Hobbit
2011-01-11, 11:08 AM
Oh crap, it's either Azathoth or Yog-Sothoth!

some guy
2011-01-11, 11:11 AM
Obviously, the green blob is an avatar of Azathoth. Obviously. Probably Hanny van Arkel has been lead to this information by one of Nyarlathotep's many forms. What dark devices he has in store for us by giving us this gruesome visage of the foul and unwholesome birth of stars is anyone's guess.
I better start worshipping, though. Now, where did I put my virgins?

Emperor Ing
2011-01-11, 11:13 AM
its FLUBBER!! :smallfrown:

DraPrime
2011-01-11, 11:14 AM

That's even worse. That movie was terrible.

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-11, 11:15 AM
It cares not for us... we are nothing...

rayne_dragon
2011-01-11, 11:37 AM
Eldritch abomination ahoy!

If you'll excuse me, I need to move to another, friendlier section of the universe.

Keld Denar
2011-01-11, 11:41 AM
Their souls make his tummy happy!

TheThan
2011-01-11, 02:09 PM
*sigh* well there goes the neighborhood.

Calmness
2011-01-11, 02:57 PM
Hail Yog-Sothoth!

Diva De
2011-01-11, 04:27 PM
Eldritch abomination ahoy!

If you'll excuse me, I need to move to another, friendlier section of the universe.

I lol'd.
We all better make our brains seem extra juicy, just in case.

Science Officer
2011-01-11, 06:13 PM
Why do I get the feeling like this is some extradimensional civilizations equivalent of the Game of Life (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conway%27s_Game_of_Life)?

"Look! I made it spit out stars!"
"Yes.. that's very nice..."

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-11, 06:17 PM
I believe Spore has began affecting our galaxy, in some time we'll began seeing the appearance of several deformities created by Spore players, all culminating in the appearance of the Grox and the Willbosaurus, finally bringing things full circle and marking the start of the end of the galaxy, human kind will began a frantic race towards the centre of the universe to ask Steve for help, results will vary.

icastflare!
2011-01-11, 06:24 PM
Dear Old One,

Please dont eat us.

love,Flare. Also known as that one person who's brain is rather untasty and your probably shouldnt eat

Murdim
2011-01-11, 06:28 PM
Don't worry. Yes, a Great Old One appeared in the sky, but I don't think they're going to visit our insignificant selves. It probably just means that the stars are right, and that it's time for great Cthulhu to rise and take back the world of men in their name.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-11, 07:14 PM

I've always known Robbin Williams was an eldritch abomination.

Bhu
2011-01-11, 11:14 PM
woohoo! space monsters! wait...

Moff Chumley
2011-01-11, 11:19 PM
CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN has begun, it seems...

Cookie, as always, for identifying reference.

Kallisti
2011-01-12, 12:02 AM
Aaaah? Well, that's, uh...If you'll excuse me, I need to trade in my religion. Discordianism is great and all, but in light of this new discovery Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! IA! IA! Cthulhu fhtagn!

The Succubus
2011-01-12, 05:07 AM
CASE NIGHTMARE GREEN has begun, it seems...

Cookie, as always, for identifying reference.

Guessing Professor Layton? Although I'd pay good money for a grudge match special between Doctor Who & Cthulhu.

Eldan
2011-01-12, 05:22 AM
Aaaah? Well, that's, uh...If you'll excuse me, I need to trade in my religion. Discordianism is great and all, but in light of this new discovery Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn! IA! IA! Cthulhu fhtagn!

Bah. Discordianism and Old-oneism goes great together. It just doesn't make any sense.

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-12, 08:18 AM
Good gods, the thing is the size of our galaxy...

:smalleek:

Spoonicus
2011-01-12, 09:45 AM
Cthulhu? Nah. By the looks of it, I'd say that's probably Y'golonac.

Oh sweet mercy I've doomed us all.

Science Officer
2011-01-12, 02:01 PM
Guessing Professor Layton? Although I'd pay good money for a grudge match special between Doctor Who & Cthulhu.

Nope. Charles Stross' Bob Howard/The Laundry series.

Really, really misleading headline. The overreaction is kind of funny, but this is only metaphorically alive. It's a great cloud of hydrogen illuminated by quasar(s).

</seriousness/skepticism>:smallwink:

And no, were it alive, it would probably not be Cthulhu.
He's still dead but dreaming.
Doesn't look like Y'----- at all.
(You might want to spoiler that name.
Reading it has been known to lead to... possession, autophagy, and/or priestship.:smalleek:
Although only in conjunction with the past or future unearthing of perverse and forbidden knowledge...)

Azathoth is a bit more likely given the scale, but this thing is creating stars. Creating young, new stars, "giving birth" to "newborn stars" where such stars are seldom found.
Sounds like Shub-Niggurath.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-12, 02:07 PM
Come on guys? An Old One? Really? I think we all know that that thing really is: a balrog of Morgoth.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-01-12, 02:43 PM
Come on guys? An Old One? Really? I think we all know that that thing really is: a balrog of Morgoth.
What did you say? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-fox4dR2E)

Dr.Epic
2011-01-12, 02:55 PM
What did you say? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp-fox4dR2E)

That needs more taters.

icastflare!
2011-01-12, 03:02 PM

Really, really misleading headline. The overreaction is kind of funny, but this is only metaphorically alive. It's a great cloud of hydrogen illuminated by quasar(s).

Reading it has been known to lead to... possession, autophagy, and/or priestship.:smalleek:
Although only in conjunction with the past or future unearthing of perverse and forbidden knowledge...)

Azathoth is a bit more likely given the scale, but this thing is creating stars. Creating young, new stars, "giving birth" to "newborn stars" where such stars are seldom found.

Shub-Niggurath sounds likely given the evidence stated here. All hail the black goat of the woods with a thousand young!

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-12, 05:48 PM

Silly Dr. Epic, balrogs aren't green :smalltongue:

some guy
2011-01-12, 06:05 PM
That needs more taters.

Taters or tatters? of the king

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/7/78/Yellowsign.JPG

Tell me, have you seen the yellow sign?

Fifty-Eyed Fred
2011-01-12, 07:32 PM
Taters, eh? (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ihMMw0rnKz4)

Lateral
2011-01-12, 07:53 PM
Ia! Ia! Snot-like galactic anomaly fthagn!

RebelRogue
2011-01-12, 08:09 PM
Well, Tulzscha is known as the green flame, so at lest the colour would be right. But the outer space position fits Cthugha (also known for its continually varying shape) better? How close is this thing to Formalhaut? :smalleek:

Dear Old One,

Please dont eat us.
Fool! You're supposed to ask to be eaten first! :smallwink:

Dr.Epic
2011-01-13, 03:40 AM
Silly Dr. Epic, balrogs aren't green :smalltongue:

Balrogs also don't have wings but they're always depicted as such. And dwarf women totally have beards. (now let the debate begin about if I'm wrong or not)

The Succubus
2011-01-13, 04:37 AM
Pretty sure balrogs do have wings or are at least capable of flight. There's a scene in the Silmarilllion where Melkor is about to become a hors d'oeurve for Ungoliant. The balrogs in Utumno hear his cries and fly to Lammoth to assist.

Moving back on topic, do Great Old Ones have wings?

Dr.Epic
2011-01-13, 04:44 AM
Pretty sure balrogs do have wings or are at least capable of flight. There's a scene in the Silmarilllion where Melkor is about to become a hors d'oeurve for Ungoliant. The balrogs in Utumno hear his cries and fly to Lammoth to assist.

Have you never heard of wingless flight? Besides, technically the Simarillion wasn't written by Tolkien.

The Succubus
2011-01-13, 06:46 AM
CarpeGuitarrem, you have ruined my life. I now have that song stuck in my head on endless repeat. I hope you're proud of yourself. :smallmad:

The Succubus
2011-01-13, 06:51 AM
CarpeGuitarrem, you have ruined my life. I now have that song stuck in my head on endless repeat. I hope you're proud of yourself. :smallmad:

Science Officer
2011-01-13, 12:58 PM
Moving back on topic, do Great Old Ones have wings?

Most of them seem to fly or float or otherwise abstract themselves from the pull of gravity by some means. Some might have wings.
Although what our primitive simian brains can percieve about them is rather questionable. We can only see in two dimensions and infer a third.
And witnesses are always so unreliable....

Ranger Mattos
2011-01-13, 04:50 PM
Have you never heard of wingless flight? Besides, technically the Simarillion wasn't written by Tolkien.

Wrong, good sir! It was written by Tolkein, and edited by his son.

The Pressman
2011-01-16, 03:35 AM

Es Y'-------
Es Y'-------
Es Y'-------
Monstro con las bocas esus manos

Es Y'-------
Es Y'-------
Es Y'-------
Monstro con las bocas esus manos

On his hands he's got orifices
Oh on his hands he's got orifices
On his hands he's got orifices
And he hasn't got a head!

Yes on his hands he's got orifices
And he hasn't got a head!

<sung to Feliz Navidad, written by the H.P. Lovecraft Historical Society.>

Also, glad someone got the Laundry reference. We'd better hope the Brits have SCORPION STARE up and running.