PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Aquatic/Sea-borne Adventures

Callos_DeTerran
2011-01-11, 09:15 AM
Thinking about recruiting for a new PBP soon based on aquatic and sea-going adventures (obviously) so I thought I'd pop in here for some advice first. Now, I know about Stormwrack and I'm going to be reading it in earnest shortly, but that mostly gives MATERIAL for sea-going adventure. I'm looking for input from people who have played in aquatic/sea-borne adventurers or who run them themselves, because first hand experience is always more helpful then advice from WotC writers who aren't exactly well known for play-testing every facet of their products or being comprehensive in what problems might come up.

What sort of problems seem to come up in sea adventures?

How were they handled in your game?

Any fun stories to share?

Etc.

hamishspence
2011-01-11, 09:17 AM
This thread:

http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=158481

is a good one for aquatic games more than seagoing surface games. Has plenty of links to aquatic material, as well as a few stories about how the games handled.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-01-11, 10:25 AM
Unless the party has access to long distance traveling spells such as Teleport, high-level Phantom Steed, Overland Flight, etc., the party will be unable to reliably sell their loot and reequip themselves. This is a bigger problem for archers dependent on ammunition, artificers, and wizards keen on adding more spells to their spellbooks.

Martial adepts should avoid the Stone Dragon discipline in a nautical campaign, since they will likely be in the water or on a wooden boat, and thus not touching natural stone or earth, rendering such maneuvers useless.