PDA

View Full Version : Hexblade PrC

rye0006
2011-01-11, 09:19 AM
What good prestige classes are there for a hexblade/rogue to think about entering? (if any)

was thinking havoc mage, but have been recommended to steer clear of that.

Would give more specific character info, but im just interested generally atm before considering specifically for my character. I can't think of many at all that add something interesting and relevant to hexblade.

sonofzeal
2011-01-11, 09:37 AM
Hexblade is a bit awkward. None of its class features are really worth building a PrC on, even its casting, unless you're homebrewing quite substantially. The whole result kind of works, but there isn't really any significant strength that's easily built on. Rogue is better, and various traditional Rogue PrCs should do you just fine.

The other option is just to go off and take a PrC that stands on its own merit and doesn't interact much with your base classes. Chameleon is the one that comes to mind, but there's a number in every book. A quick scan of Complete Adventurer alone comes up with Animal Lord, Dread Pirate, Exemplar, Spymaster, Streetfighter, and Vigilate. These are ones that will tend to (not always, but often) define you by the PrC rather than by your entry classes. Choosing something like this, and jumping into it headfirst, can be a good way to make your character more interesting.

Person_Man
2011-01-11, 09:40 AM
So presumably you're doing Rogue 2/Hexblade 3 or 4 for Evasion and Mettle with good Saves vs spells. Correct? If that's the case, then Blackguard or Paladin of Tyranny is good for 3-4 levels. It will further improve your Saves, give you Rebuke Undead to fuel a divine/domain feat, and give you another debuff effect.

Also, be sure to buy a Tabard of Valor. When reduced to 50% hit points or less, you gain Mettle. If you already have Mettle, you gain Improved Mettle, which works just like Improved Evasion, but for Will and Fort Saves. This is the only source of Improved Mettle in the game. 16,000 gp, Complete Champion pg 142.

Ernir
2011-01-11, 09:46 AM
So presumably you're doing Rogue 2/Hexblade 3 or 4 for Evasion and Mettle with good Saves vs spells. Correct? If that's the case, then Blackguard or Paladin of Tyranny is good for 3-4 levels. It will further improve your Saves, give you Rebuke Undead to fuel a divine/domain feat, and give you another debuff effect.

A Rogue 4/Hexblade 6, last time we knew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179779).

I wouldn't PrC out of Hexblade, at least not right away. You're one level away from Greater Hexblade's Curse, which is pretty nifty. After that, uh... if you want to multiclass, you're probably looking at something that builds on Charisma (like Paladin of Tyranny, indeed), ToB classes, or semi-independent PrCs. There isn't much you can do to milk a Rogue/Hexblade synergy.

I'd take a good, solid read through the last thread before thinking more about PrCs. There are lots of things that can make your character better, but PrCs are not necessarily the easiest thing you can do when it comes to that.

monkeysammich
2011-01-11, 09:51 AM
I always liked Occult Slayer on a Hexblade build.

Elric VIII
2011-01-11, 09:52 AM
Hexblades can learn Phantom Steed, so you could go into Knight Phantom (Five Nations), full BAB, 9/10 casting, and a few cool abilities like floating and the ability to gain the briliant energy quality for your weapon.

You can also get into the Fiend Blooded class(Heroes of Horror). It gives spontaneous casters addtional spells known and some ability score boosts.

Amphetryon
2011-01-11, 10:30 AM
Dread Witch (HoH) is a fun addition to a Hexblade that's not built just for melee.

rye0006
2011-01-11, 10:40 AM
A Rogue 4/Hexblade 6, last time we knew (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=179779).

I wouldn't PrC out of Hexblade, at least not right away. You're one level away from Greater Hexblade's Curse, which is pretty nifty. After that, uh... if you want to multiclass, you're probably looking at something that builds on Charisma (like Paladin of Tyranny, indeed), ToB classes, or semi-independent PrCs. There isn't much you can do to milk a Rogue/Hexblade synergy.

I'd take a good, solid read through the last thread before thinking more about PrCs. There are lots of things that can make your character better, but PrCs are not necessarily the easiest thing you can do when it comes to that.

yeah rogue 4/hexblade 6 - but just thinking generallyreally, i'm going to continue with both rogue and hexblade - boost the cursing and generally getting sneakier.
as i said in the first post, i couldnt think of any prc that would work particiular well to back up hexblade. i'd forgotten about the paladin of tyranny and stuff like that though - that would be a nice boost to the curse and general debuffing

Keld Denar
2011-01-11, 01:14 PM
Its a bit late, but you should actually have ALL of the prereqs you need to get into Suel Arcanamach, except maybe the language skill, which you can retrain if allowed. Suel Arcanamach is kinda fun because it adds a bunch of really gishy spells to your spell list. Take Versatile Spellcaster at 12 and you can either use Suel slots for Hexblade spells or Hexblade slots for Suel spells, as well as burn low level spells for higher level slots. 4 levels is typically the cutoff for Suel levels, and flows perfectly into a level of Spellsword and 5 levels of Abjurant Champion to keep your BAB at 18/20 by level 20.

Make sure you don't take Suel spells with saves, though, as your saves will be pretty saggy. Gishy spells like Blade of Blood, Whirling Blade, and eventually Polymorph or Bite of the Werewolf are all great choices.

Zaq
2011-01-11, 03:34 PM
I guess it depends what you want out of Hexblade. Why did you go Hexblade in the first place? If it was just for the +CHA to saves, you've got that already and you're good to go. If you care about Hexblade's Curse, to my knowledge no PrC actually advances that, so at best you'll have to find something that gives you a similar ability. If you care about the casting, there are plenty of PrCs that advance casting, some of which are more melee-friendly than others.

So it really comes down to what you were hoping to get out of Hexblade, and what matters to you going forward.

LibraryOgre
2011-01-11, 04:38 PM
What good prestige classes are there for a hexblade/rogue to think about entering? (if any)

was thinking havoc mage, but have been recommended to steer clear of that.

Would give more specific character info, but im just interested generally atm before considering specifically for my character. I can't think of many at all that add something interesting and relevant to hexblade.

Dragon Disciple. You're at a good spot for it, and you can simply climb the ladder, garnering Stat boosts and bonus spells as you go. It's not an uber optimized build by any means, but it will make you fairly stout in melee.