PDA

View Full Version : Does Tarquin know Girard?

Jay R
2011-01-11, 11:32 AM
When Elan mentioned Girard Draketooth in strip 727, Tarquin said, "Draketooth? Human? Red haired, purple squiggly tattoo on his face?" Uses Illusions?"

Asked if he knows him, Tarquin said "Maybe. Maybe not."

But he never repeated the first name Girard.

What are the chances that Tarquin knows a son or other relative also named Draketooth?

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-11, 12:10 PM
:durkon: Like, a hunnerd percent, in this comic.

Really, though, I think that's streching it a bit. I don't remember if Girard had any love interest, and considering his age, I don't think he has any possible living relatives. That's just me, though.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-11, 12:51 PM
An identical son? Even to the tattoo? Really?

Really, though, I think that's streching it a bit. I don't remember if Girard had any love interest…
Because his love interest would be totally involved in the small bits of one epic adventure we’ve seen him in?

…and considering his age, I don't think he has any possible living relatives. That's just me, though.
Because one’s relatives are all older than oneself?

Leecros
2011-01-11, 01:19 PM
An identical son? Even to the tattoo? Really?

It's plausible that the son adored his father and tried the best he could to look like him. I say it's plausible because i've seen it happen before.

while we're coming up with ridiculous theories:
It's also plausible that it may be someone else trying to look like Girard for the same reason, or Tarquin knew him, but Girard may have died(he ought to be pretty elderly at this point) and he(Tarquin) wasn't sure if he was still alive or not and didn't want to promise anything.

And if you want a ridiculously roundabout theory:

Girard is a master of illusion. Perhaps Girard disguised himself as someone else....disguising as Girard. Now didn't that make your brain hurt? :smallbiggrin:

NerfTW
2011-01-11, 01:23 PM
It's entirely possible Girard is posing as his own son, like the main character in The Man From Earth.

But the idea that it's not in some way the correct person is a little too out there. There's plot twists, and then there's just dragging out the story for the sake of length.

Plus, plot wise, there are currently only two known survivors of the original team, and at some point they have to speak with them to learn what actually happened. It's unlikely Soon told the whole story to his followers, and we've already seen at least two instances that don't match up with the story we were given. (The Snarl not attacking through the rift, and the planet inside it, not to mention Girard's implying that Kraagor's death was avoidable.)

Geno9999
2011-01-11, 01:37 PM
I'm going to go with Tarquin knowing Girard, and not some relative. Knowing Tarquin, he probably locked him up in the dungeons, sent hostage letters demanding payments, etc. not knowing/realizing why Girard is here.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-11, 01:55 PM
Plus, plot wise, there are currently only two known survivors of the original team, and at some point they have to speak with them to learn what actually happened.
Why do they have to speak with them? Apocalyptic Logs are always fun.

Why do they have to know “what actually happened” to begin with, actually? Do they need to know all the details of how the Order sealed the gates in order to stop Xykon for some reason?

It's unlikely Soon told the whole story to his followers, and we've already seen at least two instances that don't match up with the story we were given. (The Snarl not attacking through the rift…
The snarl not attacking now doesn’t imply anything about whether or not the Snarl attacked anybody 66 years ago. No contradiction there.

…and the planet inside it…
Nothing said a planet wasn’t forming in the rift or that it was impossible for such an occurrence. Of course, if the planet was there, during the Scribbles’ adventure, I’d imagine it would have made its way into the Secret Lore of the Sapphire Guard. So all that means is that the planet thing is a new development. It’s still not a contradiction or a case of things not matching up.

not to mention Girard's implying that Kraagor's death was avoidable.)
Don’t recall anyone saying Kraagor’s death was unavoidable.

And it should be noted that characters that have a rant similar to Girard’s tend to have a skewed perspective on the events they are recounting. I wouldn’t put too much trust into those words without further evidence.

TimelordSimone
2011-01-11, 02:24 PM
Why do they have to speak with them? Apocalyptic Logs are always fun.

Why do they have to know “what actually happened” to begin with, actually? Do they need to know all the details of how the Order sealed the gates in order to stop Xykon for some reason?

I think we the audience have to know "what actually happened" at some point. So therefore they have to know at some point.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-11, 02:53 PM
I think we the audience have to know "what actually happened" at some point.
The audience doesn’t have to know any more than the Order does. (Unless there would be a plot hole otherwise, that is.)

MoonCat
2011-01-11, 03:11 PM
Serini had a crush on Draketooth (scribbled note in diary), but we don't know if he returned the favor, although they remained friends after the split up of the team. But the likelihood of anyone looking exactly like him, while also being an illusionist is so unlikely that I'm pretty sure we can safely say Tarquin was talking about the correct Draketooth

Popertop
2011-01-12, 12:44 AM
I wouldn't put it past Tarquin to have them
go through all this crap without having any
actual information.

blazingshadow
2011-01-12, 12:46 AM
for all we know tarquin might have met a dragon or doppelganger disguised as girard for whatever reason. are the individuals from the order of the scribble famous by any chance? if so tarquin might just know of him like we know about celebrities

CletusMusashi
2011-01-12, 10:53 PM
I lean toward both "yes, Girard is still alive and out there, just like Dorukon was," and "yes, Tarquin has met him." However... it's worth mentioning that it's not that hard for one illusionist to impersonate another one, especially to someone who hasn't actually met either one of them. So maybe Tarquin met him. Maybe he didn't. Maybe he met him but isn't sure. Maybe he met someone who suspected MIGHT have been Girard in disguise. Or many other variations thereof.
Also, just to gratuitously complicate things even more for people who enjoy such things: it kind of seems to me that if there's one part of the ootsworld in which "Draketooth" is pretty much the equivalent of "Smith," we're probably right smack in the middle of it right now.

Mando Knight
2011-01-12, 10:59 PM
Tarquin likely does know Girard. And they're probably not buddies, given how the latter treats good-aligned "fascists." Mr. "I'm gonna oppress the whole world and they'll like it because it's good for them and they know it" is probably up there on Girard's hate list unless he's in fact a Bard or Sorcerer and thus doesn't need Int to cast those illusions he favors.

Ron Miel
2011-01-13, 12:46 PM
I don't remember if Girard had any love interest ...

Sereni.

She is definitely attracted to him (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0196.html). And they kept in contact after breaking up the Order Of The Scribble. I think they had a long distance relationship like L & D.

Ron Miel
2011-01-13, 01:01 PM
It's unlikely Soon told the whole story to his followers,

I doubt he would have lied or withheld information. He told the story accurately, as far as he knew it. However, it's likely that he doesn't know everything.

It hasn't been shown where he got the information about the rifts anyway. My guess is that they captured and interrogated an assistant to a former wearer of the Red Cloak. And he probably didn't know everything.

and we've already seen at least two instances that don't match up with the story we were given. (The Snarl not attacking through the rift, and the planet inside it, not to mention Girard's implying that Kraagor's death was avoidable.)

Also he he said that after the break up, no two members of The Scribble ever laid eyes on each other again. He didn't know about L&D, or S&G. I don't think he's deliberately lying. He kept his oath, and so he assumed that the others did as well.

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-13, 04:40 PM
Yeah, I remember now, but like you said, they didn't seem to meet a lot, and the idea of Girard breeding with a halfling is disgusting.

Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but did anyone here actually say that Girard was pretending to be someone pretending to be Girard? :smallconfused:

Amarsir
2011-01-13, 05:07 PM
Also, correct me if I'm wrong, but did anyone here actually say that Girard was pretending to be someone pretending to be Girard? :smallconfused:
I pretended to say that.

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-13, 07:42 PM
I pretended to say that.

Did you really pretend to say that, or did you just pretend to pretend to say that? :smallamused:

Kish
2011-01-13, 07:59 PM
Yeah, I remember now, but like you said, they didn't seem to meet a lot, and the idea of Girard breeding with a halfling is disgusting.
You realize that you finding something disgusting is not a reason it won't be in the comic, right?

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-13, 08:26 PM
Right. Because D&D is crawling with half-halflings.

aart lover
2011-01-13, 08:33 PM

i wonder if that's actually a playable race. i hope so, because i am SO in the mood for squicking out my fellow gamers during a session:smallamused:

War
2011-01-13, 08:36 PM
Individual readers' tastes aside, with Serini being a halfling any offspring of theirs would prrrrobably not fit the description given. Then again, it IS true that an illusionist could potentially fit any description they feel like. But if it's someone else deliberately disguised as Girard, they'd also be using the name Girard, and we're right back where we started.

Also, nobody said that the hypothetical-non-Girard-Draketooth-Tarquin-knows needs to look exactly like Girard, he was just described as a red-haired human illusionist with a funky tattoo. It could work if the tattoo has some significance we don't know about; heck, Hypothetical Draketooth doesn't even have to have the exact same pattern of purple squiggly. I don't know that I'd bet on this theory, but it's not totally outside the realm of possibility.

Durgok
2011-01-13, 08:38 PM
Would that make them a quarterling? Or a three-quarterling?

And, as for Tarquin knowing Girard. It's also possible that this whole scenario is a giant illusion set up by Girard and that he's using the Image of Tarquin to test to see if the Order is really good.

(Now, just because it's a possibility doesn't mean it's probable.)

Now lets see them leaves a-shaking.

Shhalahr Windrider
2011-01-13, 10:56 PM
One does not need to be capable of producing offspring to enter into a romantic relationship.

It should also be noted that this comic has already featured a human-halfling pairing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html).

Ron Miel
2011-01-13, 11:44 PM

Why would it be disgusting?

I take it you are not familiar with YAFGC (http://yafgc.net/?id=1)? A great comic, not quite as good as OOTS, but still brilliant. It's got lots of story lines, and one of them features a human-halfling marriage. I don't see anything disgusting there, just a cute couple.

PsychedelicBard
2011-01-14, 08:55 AM
One does not need to be capable of producing offspring to enter into a romantic relationship.

Actually, the whole point here IS an offspring.

It should also be noted that this comic has already featured a human-halfling pairing (http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0622.html).

And thus I will spend the rest of the day making a homebrew half-halfling race(With a better name, I hope). Damn it. :smallannoyed:

Ron Miel
2011-01-14, 10:56 AM
(With a better name, I hope).

Somebody already suggested "quarterling"

Virtu
2011-01-15, 03:11 AM
And thus I will spend the rest of the day making a homebrew half-halfling race(With a better name, I hope). Damn it. :smallannoyed:

Hilariously enough, you could still call them Halflings.

Lemonus
2011-01-16, 09:17 PM
I think he does know Girard. Tarquin may be a ruthless, evil man, but he wouldn't lie to Elan.

martianmister
2011-01-18, 04:34 PM

Half Human and Half Halfling are good choices...

doodthedud
2011-01-18, 08:22 PM
It's plausible that the son adored his father and tried the best he could to look like him. I say it's plausible because i've seen it happen before.

while we're coming up with ridiculous theories:
It's also plausible that it may be someone else trying to look like Girard for the same reason, or Tarquin knew him, but Girard may have died(he ought to be pretty elderly at this point) and he(Tarquin) wasn't sure if he was still alive or not and didn't want to promise anything.

And if you want a ridiculously roundabout theory:

Girard is a master of illusion. Perhaps Girard disguised himself as someone else....disguising as Girard. Now didn't that make your brain hurt? :smallbiggrin:

There's a chance Girard may have a child who is aso good with illusions who wants to come across as his father and continue his legacy, or some similar explanation, but I think it's more likely that it's not that complicated.