PDA

View Full Version : Spell/Ability replacement with PRC Advment

Deadtissue
2011-01-11, 03:12 PM
I could not find anything on this and upon reading the rules I think I have the answer but found it not entirely clear so I have come to the playground for the final word.

The easiest way to ask my question is with a specific example:

If I am a sorcerer and enter a prestige class do I lose the ability to replace my spells known as I level?

If I am a Crusader from ToB do I lose my ability to replace lower level manuevers with higher level manuevers if I take levels in Jade Pheonix Mage?

Thanks in advance and sorry if this was addressed before.

Cheers

Greenish
2011-01-11, 03:14 PM
As written, yes. PrCs only advance casting/initiating (if that), not any auxiliary effects from being level X caster/initiator.

Psyren
2011-01-11, 05:16 PM
Actually, the clause that allows Sorcerers to swap out spells known is found underneath their "Spellcasting" entry. That means any PrCs that advance casting continue to grant access to that feature.

Greenish
2011-01-11, 06:56 PM
Actually, the clause that allows Sorcerers to swap out spells known is found underneath their "Spellcasting" entry. That means any PrCs that advance casting continue to grant access to that feature.PrCs that advance casting specify how the character gains new spells per day as if they had taken a level in the class that granted them spellcasting, but no other benefits.

When a new arcane trickster level is gained, the character gains new spells per day as if he had also gained a level in a spellcasting class he belonged to before adding the prestige class. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained, except for an increased effective level of spellcasting.

When a new archmage level is gained, the character gains new spells per day (and spells known, if applicable) as if he had also gained a level in whatever arcane spellcasting class in which he could cast 7th-level spells before he added the prestige class level. He does not, however, gain any other benefit a character of that class would have gained.

Psyren
2011-01-11, 07:56 PM
PrCs that advance casting specify how the character gains new spells per day as if they had taken a level in the class that granted them spellcasting, but no other benefits.

Yes, those clauses refer to the other class features of the base class (for a sorcerer, none except for familiar advancement.) "And spells known, if applicable" covers the sorcerer's method of changing its spells known as it gains levels.

Greenish
2011-01-11, 07:58 PM
Yes, those clauses refer to the other class features of the base class (for a sorcerer, none except for familiar advancement.) "And spells known, if applicable" covers the sorcerer's method of changing its spells known as it gains levels.:smallconfused:

…If you insist.

Psyren
2011-01-11, 08:02 PM
:smallconfused:

…If you insist.

Are you saying you have to go Sorcerer 20 to be able to swap 5 spells? :smallconfused: