PDA

View Full Version : Help me out with buff spells

LoneStarNorth
2011-01-11, 03:45 PM
If my screen name and/or the name Reggard means anything to you, please ignore the spoiler, and probably the whole thread. It'll only make you cry :D

A certain character in my campaign is (in terms of spellcasting only) a 20th level wizard AND a 20th level cleric, with caster level 30 and 25 respectively. Due to natural abilities and/or magic items, he has regeneration 25, DR 10/-, immunity to fire and cold, resistance to electricity and acid 10, immunity mind-affecting, +5 shield deflection bonuses to AC, +5 resistance to all saves, 20% miss chance, flight, +2 to physical scores, +4 to Wis and Cha, and +6 to Int (all enhancements). His base ability scores, saves, AC, attack rolls, and damage can all assumed to be quite high.

But this guy wants more. He wants to beat people up in melee combat for an hour or two, either unarmed or with his greatsword (or both). What buff spells is he going to cast on himself before he starts doing so? Spell Compendium is in use, other WotC sources are generally okay. No polymorphing. No necromancy, illusions, or evocations from the wizard half. He's LE for cleric purposes.

I realize that wizards have plenty of spells to end combat in round one, and so does the character. But he's going to kick butt in melee specifically so as to conserve those spells and spell slots. Therefore, lower level spell slots should do the heavy lifting where possible.

Also note that this isn't part of a deliberate attempt to curbstomp the PCs, so you can contribute with a clean conscience.

I would greatly appreciate your input. It'll give me more time to work on a dungeon crawl and upcoming encounters. Thanks in advance :smallsmile:

Kalim
2011-01-11, 03:54 PM
Divine Power seems like it would jump off the page for that job.

Keld Denar
2011-01-11, 03:54 PM
For Unarmed Strikes, there is Greater Mighty Wallop. It increase effective size of a type Bludgeoning weapon by 1 size per 4 CLs, to a max of 5 size increases at CL20. That means that a 1d3 UAS (for a medium non-monk creature) increases to 1d4 > 1d6 >1d8 > 2d6 > 3d6. If you have a Monk's Belt item for a base 1d8 UAS damage, the progression changes to 2d6 > 3d6 > 4d6 > 6d6 > 8d6. Thats not too shabby. Throw in an Enlarge Person or Righteous Might and that skips up to 12d6. If he Wishes/Miracles for a Giant Size spell off the Wu-Jen list, at CL20, he'd hit 16d6 > 24d6 > 32d6.

For weapon beatings, consider a Spellstoring weapon for more action economy. There are lots of good 3rd level spells that are downright nasty even to high level PCs.

kme
2011-01-11, 05:22 PM
Well, there is a huge amount of spells that could be useful. Since he is epic level I will assume that he will have a couple of improved spell capacity and improved metamagic, with this combo he can persist a lot of spells.

If you want to keep it simple I would suggest this. Let him take wraithstrike and swift fly as arcane spells and persist them. From cleric side, persisted divine power (he will need a 10th level slot or metamagic reducers) should be enough. Now, from this base he can add whatever he likes, either as a persisted buff or a quickened combat buff.

Runestar
2011-01-11, 06:14 PM
I assume he would start the day with persistent divine power/favour?

The pact spells (Stalwart Pact, Renewal Pact and Death Pact; spell compendium) don't really improve his fighting prowess, but they are permanent until discharged, so he should always have them active at all times.

LoneStarNorth
2011-01-11, 06:58 PM
He has lots of casting power, but only 25 HD. No epic spells. He doesn't have Persistent Spell (but as much Extend Spell as he may need due to metamagic rods), but he does have 10th level slots. Also he already has full BAB (including for epic levels due to house ruling). I should have said level 20 wizard and cleric CASTING, not the actual class levels. My bad. Will edit.

Good suggestions so far though! Thanks!

Douglas
2011-01-11, 08:01 PM
Take a look at Team Solars in my sig. Some of the buffs it uses won't matter to you, some of them are higher level than you want, and some of them are there purely because I had spell slots to spare and Persistent Spell to apply even though they're really weak, but you should still find a lot to suit your purpose.