PDA

View Full Version : Elemental Warriors (Comments?)

Ralasha
2011-01-11, 05:23 PM
An old man sits at a table, alone, a spear propped against the wall at his back. For some reason, you find yourself drawn to him, and before you realize, you are sitting at his table. He calmly sets down his tea, and looks over. "So tell me, what do you know of the Dragons? Not as in Dragon Spirits, but Dragons.
I will explain, Dragons look like people, like me or you. Each dragon is born attuned to a specific element, the elements to which they are attuned are the same elements as described in (Chinese) alchemy. Air, Metal, Water, Fire, and Wood.
Fire is attributed to Strength, and rebirth.
Water is attributed to patience, and gracefulness.
Air is attributed to Speed, and agility.
Metal is attributed to endurance, and... steadiness. To be like stone is to be unmoving. Metal is another form of stone.
Wood is attributed to intelligence, and perseverance.
Well, you are probably wondering... why an old man such as myself, is randomly talking to you about such things... you see, I am a dragon... and we dragons are pulled towards each other... like streams... so I wonder... are you a dragon?"

Each of the following classes will have a specific element to which it is aligned. Except for 1 which will not be posted until the others are completed to my satisfaction and posted. The final one will have some of the abilities of all of them. We'll see how it turns out.

Alignment: Fire
Primary Statistic: Strength
Hit Dice: D12
Skills:
2+Int Modx4 at first level.
2+Int Mod At each level after 1st.
Class Skills: Climb, Craft, Intimidate, Jump, Profession, Ride, Swim.
{table]Level | BAB | FS | RS | WS | Special
1 | +1 | +2 | +0 | +0 | Monkey Grip
2 | +2 | +3 | +0 | +0 | Power Attack
3 | +3 | +3 | +1 | +1 | Two Handed Fighting
4 | +4 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Burning Surge
5 | +5 | +4 | +1 | +1 | Cleave
6 | +6 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Flame Sheath
7 | +7 | +5 | +2 | +2 | Mighty Grip
8 | +8 | +6 | +2 | +2 | Leap Attack
9 | +9 | +6 | +3 | +3 | Great Cleave
10 | +10 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Burning Inside
11 | +11 | +7 | +3 | +3 | Greater Two Handed Fighting
12 | +12 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Immolation
13 | +13 | +8 | +4 | +4 | Oversized Weapon
14 | +14 | +9 | +4 | +4 | Great Leap
15 | +15 | +9 | +5 | +5 | Supreme Two Handed Fighting
16 | +16 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Blood Boil
17 | +17 | +10 | +5 | +5 | Supreme Cleave
18 | +18 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Flame Wraith
19 | +19 | +11 | +6 | +6 | Unstoppable Force
20 | +20 | +12 | +6 | +6 | Reborn from the Ashes[/table]
Fire Alignment Abilities:
The Fire Aligned ignores all resistance to fire for its abilities, and deals half damage to any creature normally immune to fire.
Monkey Grip: The character may wield a weapon one size category larger than is normally usable by a character of its size.
Power Attack: As the Feat.
Two Handed Fighting: The character gains time and a half their strength bonus to attack AND damage when wielding a two handed weapon.
Burning Surge: The character may make their weapon act as a flaming weapon for a number of rounds each day equal to their strength modifier. This ability may be divided up into individual rounds.
Cleave: As the Feat.
Flame Sheathe: The character is sheathed in flames, dealing their Strength Modifier in fire damage to all enemies around the character, and 1 damage per round to the character, which cannot be reduced. This ability may be suppressed or activated at will. This ability only covers the areas immediately adjacent to the warrior. This ability becomes Immolation at level 12.
Mighty Grip: The character now deals 2x their Strength Mod in damage with two-handed Melee weapons.
Leap Attack: As the feat.
Great Cleave: As the Feat.
Burning Inside: Whenever an enemy deals damage to the character in melee they take 1d4xthe character's strength modifier in fire damage. If the subject to be damaged is resistant to fire, it takes full damage, if the subject is normally immune to fire damage they take half. The character now gains Fire Resistance 20.
Greater Two Handed Fighting: The character now adds double it's strength bonus to attacks made with a two-handed melee weapon.
Immolation: The Character now deals their Elemental Warrior level in fire damage each round. Enemies normally immune to fire damage take half. The radius expands to 10 feet.
Oversized Weapon: The character may now wield weapons one size category larger than ever before. Thus a Medium Sized character of this level could now wield a huge weapon 1 handed. The character no longer suffers a -2 penalty to wielding weapons of one size category larger. But still suffers the -2 penalty to weapons of the new size.
Great Leap: The character is always considered to have had a running jump, and gains an additional +8 to any jump checks in addition to other bonuses.
Supreme Two Handed Fighting: When the character swings their weapon, if they hit the first target, they may make an attack roll, at the same attack bonus against an adjacent enemy. This counts as a part of the same attack.
Blood Boil: The character's blood is a veritable fountain of heat. The character is now immune to the effects of cold weather, and gains Fire Immunity.
Supreme Cleave: Whenever the character kills an enemy, the character may make one free attack against every opponent within its melee range.
Flame Wraith: The character gains the supernatural ability to fly whenever its immolation ability is activated. Flight is at the character's normal movement rate, with perfect maneuverability.
Unstoppable Force: The character now adds 3x his strength modifier to both his attack and damage with two handed melee weapons.
Reborn from the Ashes: Once per week, when a Fire Aligned character of this level dies, it is reborn the next day at sunrise, in a glorious display of fire as its remain burn, and from the ashes arises its new body ,with full health, and as unmarred as the day it was born.
1 Done. 4 to go.

Alignment: Air
Primary Statistic: Dexterity

Alignment: Metal
Primary Statistic: Constitution

Alignment: Water
Primary Statistic: Wisdom

Alignment: Wood
Primary Statistic: Intelligence

Alignment: Void
Primary Statistic: Charisma

Ralasha
2011-01-13, 04:52 AM
Bump. >.>
Bump I say!
Fire Capstone edited, now true resurrects once per week upon character death.

Glimbur
2011-01-13, 02:12 PM
The fire warrior is kind of bland. Apparently Fire + Warrior = two handed fighting. Roughly half of their abilities are not really Fire, just two handed fighting related. Increasing to-hit or damage is useful in-combat, but what does this class do the 9/10 of life that it is not in combat? With 2+ skills, an anemic skill list, and one ability useful out of combat (Flame Wraith, which has issues because levitate (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/levitate.htm) is very limited), either this character is tearing people up with a two handed weapon or it is useless. The class has some distinctive abilities, but they are not terribly interesting. I feel no urge to play this class.

More specifically... the fire resistance is small and much later than it needs to be. Resistance 10 is reasonable by about level 6 or so. Fire is the most resisted element, so by the mid teens when many foes are demons or devils or otherwise fire resistant, many class features are simply not helpful. Immolation still sort of works against immune enemies, but it has no clause about resistant foes.

What sort of armor and weapon proficiencies does it have? Starting age and starting wealth are much less critical, but they are nice to have on any base class.

More interesting abilities include the ability to control fire (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/spells/pyrotechnics.htm), throw fire bolts, teleport between fires, and probably some powers using the idea of fire as life. Fire continues to grow in power as it burns... maybe some sort of Fire Pool which is filled as combat continues which can be spent to do... firey things.

Ralasha
2011-01-13, 02:52 PM
Um, Fire Aligned are intended to be fighter types, not really utilitarian. More... fire within than actual fire.
There is a clarification note under the table about the fire aligneds abilities.

The others will each be different, with their own unique abilities.
Water for instance, while still a fighter type, will be more of an attrition fighter.
Air will be more of a utilitarian skill monkey, able to ignore gravity, run across unstable surfaces, guide arrows, become non-corporeal and such.
Metal will be able to pass through walls of made from stone/metal, this does include doors and the like. Will have damage reduction, that sort of thing.

These are warriors.

Mr Pants
2011-01-13, 03:10 PM
Glimbur pretty much summed it up, but I still have a few things.

I'm confused as to what Immolation does. All it says is that the Fire Warrior does damage and the radius increases to 10 feet. Increase from what? When does this activate? Also because Immolation is confusing so is Flame Wraith.

The class features don't seem to fit together aside from the two-handed fighting stuff. There's nothing about jumping prior to Great Leap and the capstone should probably be something about two-handed fighting.

When I think of a fiery warrior they're usually fast (ala Desert Wind) but I see what you're doing with the angry huge-weapon wielding fighter here. I'd suggest you make some kind of Rage-esque thing but make it fire-themed, possibly with some fast movement or something. You could look at the Pyrokineticist PrC or the Frostrager PrC (but re-flavor it) for some inspiration.

I made a similar class and had some stuff like:
Cleansing Flames (Su) – as a standard action the FlameRager may take damage equal to the DC of a poison in order to cleanse his body of the poison

Reaching Flames (Su) – the FlameRager may take a -2 penalty on attacks in order to attack with an extra 5ft reach. Attacks made in this manner deal fire damage in place of weapon damage.

Ralasha
2011-01-13, 03:44 PM
Wonderful, so tell me, what do you know of the oriental dragons? Not as in Dragon Spirits, but Dragons.
I will explain, Dragons look like people, like me or you. Each dragon is born attuned to a specific element, the elements to which they are attuned are the same elements as described in Chinese alchemy. Air, Metal, Water, Fire, and Wood.
Metal is attributed to endurance, and... steadiness. To be like stone is to be unmoving. Metal is another form of stone.

My only true creation here, which is not taken from real world mythological lore: will be Void. A balance of all of the above, capable of all of the things the other classes are capable of, but to a lesser degree.

Ralasha
2011-01-13, 03:58 PM
Just because they're a warrior doesn't mean they need to be bland. What Glimbur was saying is that your "fire" warrior is lacking many connections to fire, and that the ones that do don't mesh very well. Weilding large weapons =/= fire.
Again, I did not actually mean the element itself. Fire: Because fire represents strength and rebirth, has abilities stemming from those... how should I put it, considering this is D&D... attributes would be a poor word choice. >.< Sorry, English isn't my primary language, I don't have an exceedingly large vocabulary.

ForzaFiori
2011-01-13, 03:59 PM
Wonderful, so tell me, what do you know of the oriental dragons? Not as in Dragon Spirits, but Dragons.
I will explain, Dragons look like people, like me or you. Each dragon is born attuned to a specific element, the elements to which they are attuned are the same elements as described in Chinese alchemy. Air, Metal, Water, Fire, and Wood.

My only true creation here, which is not taken from real world mythological lore: will be Void. A balance of all of the above, capable of all of the things the other classes are capable of, but to a lesser degree.

Considering the traditional connotation of "elemental" is the Western sense of the word (IE:fire, water, earth, and air; with each element actually relating to, strangely enough, that element), it might have been nice to put this in your OP, rather than getting all defensive when no one realizes this.

Ralasha
2011-01-13, 04:03 PM
There, it is now in the OP. As a little backstory, in place of a background.

Nihilarian
2011-01-27, 12:03 PM
Fire Alignment Abilities:
The Fire Aligned ignores all resistance to fire for its abilities, and ignores half of the immunity of any creature normally immune to fire.
This ability does make a character of this class viable, and you did have the foresight to specify "for its abilities", but immunity isn't a number so how can you "ignore half"? Do you deal half damage against a normally immune creature? And perhaps you can subtract your class level from a resistant creature instead of outright bypassing the fire resistance?

Monkey Grip: The character may wield a weapon one size category larger than is normally usable by a character of its size. The character suffers a -2 penalty to attack with a weapon of the new wieldable size.
I'm not absolutely certain the penalty is needed. I know it's based off of an existing feat, but no one takes that feat anyway. For most weapons, the average damage will only go up by 1, which is not worth a -2 penalty.

Power Attack: As the Feat.
Two Handed Fighting: The character gains time and a half their strength bonus to attack AND damage when wielding a two handed weapon.
Power Attack is pretty much standard fare, but Two Handed Fighting isn't something I've seen before. I like it. (Barring multiclass with barbarian/frenzied berserker or PrC'ing into War Hulk).

Burning Surge: The character may make their weapon count as a flaming weapon for a number of rounds each day equal to their strength modifier. This ability may be divided up into individual rounds.
Just to be clear: by "count" you mean it deals an extra 1d6 fire damage, right? It pays to be a bit more specific.

Cleave: As the Feat.
Flame Sheathe: The character is sheathed in flames, dealing their Strength Modifier in damage to all enemies around the character, and 1 damage per round to the character. This ability may be suppressed or activated at will. This ability only covers the areas immediately adjacent to the warrior. This ability become Immolation at level 12. Flame Sheathe seems pretty cool. I'd have to be surrounded to consider it (again, barring Bbn/FB or WH). Is this fire damage? This becomes pretty important.

Mighty Grip: The character now deals 1.5x strength in bonus damage with one handed Melee weapons, or 2x with two-handed Melee. So far all weapon abilities have to be used with two-handed melee. Why would I ever use a one handed weapon if I get such a huge bonus to attack for using two it two handed (even if you still only have 18 strength by this level, it's still +2 compared to the one handed, and you can turn that +2 into even more damage if you are so inclined.) Also, is this in addition to the normal strength modifier granted? (as in, a commoner with a pitchfork deals 1.5 times his strength modifier on attacks; would this ability allow him to deal 2 times his strength modifier with a pitchfork, or 3.5 times his strength modifier? I guess the "bonus damage" part of the ability seems a bit confusing.)

Leap Attack: As the feat.
Unlike PA and Cleave, this feat isn't in the PHB. Do you have to have Complete Warrior (that's where it's from, right?) in order to play this class? And yes, I'm aware that pretty much EVERYONE knows what the feat does anyway, it's the principle of the thing.

Greater Two Handed Fighting: The character now adds double it's strength bonus to attacks made with a two-handed melee weapon. like the previous ability, I'm a little worried about the progression feeling clunky, but at least it improves the Two-Handed Fighting ability (I was worried about it not progressing very much past 1st level). I would, however bump this back, at least to level 11. A character can take the Fire warrior class to 9, then take the full Bbn/FB or WH classes.

Burning Inside: Whenever an enemy deals damage to the character in melee they take 1d4xthe character's strength modifier in fire damage. If the subject to be damaged is resistant to fire, it takes full damage, if the subject is normally immune to fire damage they take half. The character now gains Fire Resistance 20. this is where the flame sheathe question becomes important; if you're immune to fire damage and flame sheathe deals fire damage you no longer take any damage from it, making it something you ALWAYS want on. In addition, you already have the "resistant takes full, immune takes half" at the very beginning of the class.

Great Cleave: As the Feat.
Immolation: The Character now deals their Elemental Warrior level in fire damage each round. Enemies normally immune to fire damage take half. The radius expands to 10 feet. Barring multiclass shenanigans, pretty big upgrade.

Oversized Weapon: The character may now wield weapons one size category larger than ever before. Thus a Medium Sized character of this level could now wield a huge weapon 1 handed. The character no longer suffers a -2 penalty to wielding weapons of one size category larger. But still suffers the -2 penalty to weapons of the new size. In this case, the penalty might be worth it, with the correct choice of weapon.

Great Leap: The character is always considered to have had a running jump, and gains an additional +8 to any jump checks in addition to other bonuses. fair enough. Might come a bit late.

Supreme Two Handed Fighting: When the character swings their weapon, if they hit the first target, they may make an attack roll, at the same attack bonus against an adjacent enemy. This counts as a part of the same attack.Whoah. You just double your damage out put, maybe more with criticals. It's not overpowered, but you might still want to put a limit on it. using this, the FB becomes even better; as it's written even the bonus attack the FB gets is doubled. Even without that, Speed weapons become the weapon of choice for the character. This isn't exactly a bad thing, you just need to be aware of the potential.

Blood Boil: The character's blood is a veritable fountain of heat. The character is now immune to the effects of cold weather, and gains Fire Immunity. Except against another Fire Warrior :)

Supreme Cleave: Whenever the character kills an enemy, the character may make one free attack against every opponent within its melee range. Won't come up often, but when it does you'll feel like a sexy shoeless god of war :). Of course, remember that all of these attacks are DOUBLED from Supreme Two-Handed Fighting, as long as there are enemies adjacent to every enemy within reach.

Flame Wraith: The character gains the supernatural ability to fly whenever its immolation ability is activated. How fast? What maneuverability? Casters have been doing this since level 5, you know. This might come a bit late.

Unstoppable Force: The character now adds 3x his strength modifier to both his attack and damage with two handed melee weapons. With magic items, it's not hard to get a strength of 30 by this level. That's a total of +30 to attacks and damage rolls with two-handed melee weapons. ALL attacks, and you should have quite a few. Still, I suppose an reward is appropriate for a character who made it to this level.

Reborn from the Ashes: Once per week, when a Fire Aligned character of this level dies, it is reborn the next day at sunrise, in a glorious display of fire as its remain burn, and from the ashes arises its new body ,with full health, and as unmarred as the day it was born. a fair capstone.

Suggestions:
As is, the class basically grants power in fits and bursts. Lot's of power granted over a short time, then a while of decent benefits then more power, etc.

I'd recommend tying at least a few of the abilities currently tied to strength to level instead (Flame Sheathe and Immolation, for example. Just give Immolation at the level you currently grant Flame Sheathe, and it will go up as you level naturally). This should help get a smooth progression.

I'd also get rid of the bonus feats; I'd rather have unique abilities than bonus feats. What to replace them with, though, I don't know.

Ralasha
2011-01-27, 01:13 PM
Made corrections, and improvements on wording, exchanged great cleave and greater THF.