PDA

View Full Version : So I finally betrayed my party

Santra
2011-01-11, 08:11 PM
After almost 2 years and 14 levels my sorcerer finally betrayed the party. I didn't attack them or anything I just made them realize I was the BBEG the entire time.

story spoilered due to size
I was playing a sorcerer who became obsessed his heritage. I spent tons of money to find out who my draconic ancestor was. I then paid someone to call the dragons soul so I could speak to it. It was an ancient white named Talistraillet. After speaking with the spirit I started my quest to build an army and bring my ancestor back to life. She also tasked me with gathering some of her items like a golden staff that has http://www.d20srd.org/srd/epic/spells/direWinter.htm on it and made permanent.

I slowly built an army of Kobolds, Humans, and Orcs. They never saw my face due to a mask that cast an perfect illusion of a mature white dragon (one of the items that I was tasked to get).

But finally last night I was changed by a series of wish spells into a mature white and brought my ancestor back with the help of the entire party. I had convinced them that we were bringing back an ancient silver that had fought off the dragon was "building an army and planning to attack the homeland of the party". Me and my mistress then left to go command our army. I also told them they were willing to join us and be generals but they declined.

So what do you think? I am still talking with my DM over what I should do now since my sorcerer has now revealed his true colors.

Paladineyddi
2011-01-11, 08:14 PM
Genius.

Seems to me that you might need to reroll

Galsiah
2011-01-11, 08:16 PM
Proceed to double cross mistress and rejoin with your party and new army, win at life forever

Curious
2011-01-11, 08:19 PM
What all BBEG's do; conquer the world. With that staff your goal should be something like 'bring eternal winter to the world so that the race of white dragons can rule unopposed, with me as their leader.' Involve your party somehow, so they don't feel left out. Perhaps you have some honor left, and you let them escape your clutches, and now they lead the resistance against you.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-11, 08:19 PM
Proceed to double cross mistress and rejoin with your party and new army, win at life forever

This. Dont want to break the party. If was in your group, I'd quit if this sort of thing happened.

molten_dragon
2011-01-11, 08:21 PM
Sounds pretty fun. Unfortunately unless the DM (and the rest of the party) is okay with you working against them from here on out, you may have to let your sorcerer become an NPC and reroll.

Defiant
2011-01-11, 08:24 PM
This marks the end of the campaign, more or less. An awesome end with lots of great stuff. They'll be telling the story for years to come!

Santra
2011-01-11, 08:27 PM

No this character is loyal to his mistress and will probably end up as an NPC

This. Dont want to break the party. If was in your group, I'd quit if this sort of thing happened.

Why? My character has spent at least 50% of his gold since around level 6 (he is 19 now) and most of his free time doing this. I have helped them and even was nice about it asking my mistress to spare them. I like them and would hate to fight against them but my guy has been planning this for a long time. I will most likely reroll and work my damnedest to bring down the monstrosity I have created. The other players are fine with it (or they said they were).

Hallavast
2011-01-11, 08:38 PM
Brilliant!

Excellent use of intra-party conflict! Love it.

Good luck on your new character.

DueceEsMachine
2011-01-11, 08:41 PM
Wait..... let me get this right - you tracked down your ancestor and brought her back to life. Okay. I'm cool with that.

Now she's your Mistress? Okay, do I have that right?

Just had to put that out there.

Anyways. Personally, I think it would be awesome to reroll a character to replace the sorcerer and let him be an NPC. How much fun would it be to have a huge spell-battle between you old and new spell-slingers?
Heck, I might have to plot and plan something like this in the future just for the awesomeness!

Now to assemble a gaming group.....

skywalker
2011-01-11, 08:44 PM

Pretty sure it's mistress in the "female form of master" sense, not the... sexual sense.

DueceEsMachine
2011-01-11, 08:45 PM
yeah.... let's hope so. :smallbiggrin:

I figured that's what he meant, just had to make a joke on the wording.

Santra
2011-01-11, 08:45 PM
Wait..... let me get this right - you tracked down your ancestor and brought her back to life. Okay. I'm cool with that.

Anyways. Personally, I think it would be awesome to reroll a character to replace the sorcerer and let him be an NPC. How much fun would it be to have a huge spell-battle between you old and new spell-slingers?
Heck, I might have to plot and plan something like this in the future just for the awesomeness!

Now to assemble a gaming group.....
Not a mistress in THAT way. I mean it as a female version of master. Even though she is my ancestor from like 2000 years back.

Templarkommando
2011-01-11, 08:59 PM
Just fair warning.

Since I enjoy playing your standard goody-two shoes in a tin suit, I would have no problem accepting your offer of generaldom and then killing you in your sleep. Of course... coup de graceing a white dragon might be a bit of a problem. You get the idea. I would undermine you as best as I could, so keep an eye out for players coming and accepting your offer after the fact.

Xuc Xac
2011-01-11, 09:14 PM
They never saw my face due to a mask that cast an perfect illusion of a mature white dragon (one of the items that I was tasked to get).

So, your draconic ancestor was an "ancient white dragon" who had a magic mask that cast a perfect illusion of a mature white dragon among her most valuable personal effects?

I think you got scammed by your kobold ancestor.

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-11, 09:19 PM
Why? My character has spent at least 50% of his gold since around level 6 (he is 19 now) and most of his free time doing this. I have helped them and even was nice about it asking my mistress to spare them. I like them and would hate to fight against them but my guy has been planning this for a long time. I will most likely reroll and work my damnedest to bring down the monstrosity I have created. The other players are fine with it (or they said they were).

So long as you make a new character I guess. (It's also something I would never alow as a DM, so that might have to do with it.)

BobVosh
2011-01-11, 09:27 PM
So, your draconic ancestor was an "ancient white dragon" who had a magic mask that cast a perfect illusion of a mature white dragon among her most valuable personal effects?

You wouldn't want a doppelganger to take the surprise hits?

Santra
2011-01-11, 10:21 PM

actually it was crafted for her half dragon son who was my direct ancestor so he would not be questioned as to his origin. His existance was a secret.

So long as you make a new character I guess. (It's also something I would never alow as a DM, so that might have to do with it.)

So just wondering why would you not allow this? I was straitforward with the DM when I made the character this is what his desire was.

Forum Explorer
2011-01-11, 10:34 PM
This is brilliant, amazing, and I wish more parties did stuff like that. Seriously I'm sick of the whole random group of strangers that work perfectly together with no conflict and the only people to betray the party are NPCs. Everyone is natrually suscpicous of NPCs so it can be pretty obvious when one is evil. In fact some groups have it standard policy to just use repeated detect evils on NPCs. (A nothing found is assumed to be a yes) But those sort of policies and techniques are almost never used on fellow players.

Your character handled that situation realisticly. Had a goal, found some allies to achive that goal, spared said allies when they disagreed with goal due to past friendship and went on to achive goal anyways. Its classic and unexpected. So Kudous once agian.

Temet Nosce
2011-01-11, 10:38 PM
*stares for a few moments, takes off hat and bows slightly to Santra*

Now that, is good RPing. Long term, internally consistent, and self motivated. I love it.

My personal advice would be to go one of two ways here, either end the campaign completely on a high note and start over (this is a *much* more impressive campaign end than most), or proceed with goals beyond resurrecting your mistress with the party opposing or supporting you according to their own wishes (I'd advise trying to break party solidarity if you do this, even getting one person over to your side would help). Of the two, I would probably advise the previous regrettably since despite the opportunity for an even more awesome plot after this it would depend on your fellow PCs to pull off such a situation and not just you and the DM.

Simply rolling a new character could also work in this situation but would be a waste of such a magnificent accomplishment.

Weasel of Doom
2011-01-11, 10:42 PM
That sounds like a pretty awesome campaign and I'd love to have played in it. Shame you'll have to reroll after all your hardwork but I expect vanquishing the new BBEG will be pretty rewarding.

Another_Poet
2011-01-11, 10:53 PM
So just wondering why would you not allow this? I was straitforward with the DM when I made the character this is what his desire was.

The fact that you have to ask this is what makes me think it won't go well.

You mention several times that the DM is OK with it. What about the other players? I don't mean their characters, I mean the other players. Did you consult them about it? Does it suit their style? Do they think it's a cool story arc and they're eager to tackle it in a friendly way?

If the answer is no--or, even scarier, if the answer is you never asked them--that's a potential game-ender. With hard feelings. And regrets about their own heroic stories that'll never get finished.

That's why so many here have a bad reaction.

Psyren
2011-01-11, 10:59 PM
If the answer is no--or, even scarier, if the answer is you never asked them--that's a potential game-ender. With hard feelings. And regrets about their own heroic stories that'll never get finished.

This was my immediate worry. You got your uber-cool, 2-years-in-the-making payoff and day in the limelight. Did they get theirs? Or were they all just your supporting characters?

(I mean for the game as a whole, not your dragon scheme.)

Pronounceable
2011-01-11, 11:09 PM
This is surely among the awesomest campaigns ever played. You have won DnD.

CarpeGuitarrem
2011-01-11, 11:12 PM
Okay, so I gotta say, when I saw the thread title, I was expecting some silly story of cheap backstabbing, not this devilishly masterful coup de grace. If I were in the group, I personally wouldn't necessarily mind, but that's just my personality type.

I would say that you need to work with the DM to give the rest of the party some sort of heroic stand against your former PC. Maybe they all try to ambush him, potentially perishing or narrowly escaping with their lives, depending on how it goes, and setting the stage for a new campaign where everyone can roll up heroes to kick the BBEG's butt.

I don't think this is problematic, and I don't think this is something that would have nearly as much of an impact if it didn't catch the players by surprise. Just as long as you cover for it.

But I think that, considering how well you pulled this off, you are entitled to bask in that glory to a sizeable degree.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-11, 11:14 PM
This was my immediate worry. You got your uber-cool, 2-years-in-the-making payoff and day in the limelight. Did they get theirs? Or were they all just your supporting characters?

(I mean for the game as a whole, not your dragon scheme.)

I don't understand exactly how that supercedes them enjoying themselves... If my character dies heroically does it somehow invalidate the game as well? Or if my fighter has a personal arc? What about if my character dies during a family saving arc?

What exactly about this makes the game unplayable?

woodenbandman
2011-01-11, 11:19 PM
Came to trash you for betraying the party

Stayed because you are awesome.

Psyren
2011-01-11, 11:19 PM
I don't understand exactly how that supercedes them enjoying themselves... If my character dies heroically does it somehow invalidate the game as well? Or if my fighter has a personal arc? What about if my character dies during a family saving arc?

What exactly about this makes the game unplayable?

1) Where did you get the word "unplayable" from anything I wrote? :smallconfused:

2) "The other players were fine with it (or said they were)" is not exactly the most ringing endorsement for what happened.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-11, 11:27 PM
1) Where did you get the word "unplayable" from anything I wrote? :smallconfused:

2) "The other players were fine with it (or said they were)" is not exactly the most ringing endorsement for what happened.

I wasn't attempting to accuse you specifically, I was more referring to what you had quoted (and were agreeing with). And that still doesn't explain to me why they would be not okay with it. What exactly about it would, as the person above stated, make it so the game never gets finished? Why would you quite when one character stops being part of the group?

My post was a series of examples where most people wouldn't stop playing even though they lost a party member, why would it be different? Especially since he:

1. Didn't kill anyone, and thus didn't interfere with their own characterization, and:
2. Did it to fulfill a deep character role, as opposed to "I betrayed you since I am Chaotic Stupid."

Psyren
2011-01-11, 11:30 PM
And that still doesn't explain to me why they would be not okay with it.

Presumably the other players had visions for their own characters besides "help Santra achieve his destiny." If (a) that is indeed all they wanted or (b) they also had great stories come out of that 2-year-long session then neither I nor anyone else her has anything to worry about.

Which is why my post was a question, rather than an accusation.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-11, 11:33 PM
Again, not explaining why the campaign would be over now; what about this makes their characters stories invalid?

Psyren
2011-01-11, 11:43 PM
Again, not explaining why the campaign would be over now; what about this makes their characters stories invalid?

I only see one character's story here.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-11, 11:50 PM
I only see one character's story here.

Atlantean posted that he would quit, and that this would probably end the game. This is what my comment was responding to; I don't see how posting only one story on the internet in any way invalidates the stories of other people, nor in fact do his actions.

What in his actions do people keep seeing as invalidating?

Psyren
2011-01-11, 11:52 PM
Atlantean posted that he would quit, and that this would probably end the game. This is what my comment was responding to; I don't see how posting only one story on the internet in any way invalidates the stories of other people, nor in fact do his actions.

What in his actions do people keep seeing as invalidating?

If you were responding to Atlantean, why quote me? :smallconfused:
I never said anything about quitting.

Tvtyrant
2011-01-12, 12:06 AM
If you were responding to Atlantean, why quote me? :smallconfused:
I never said anything about quitting.

... I already said I was talking specifically about you in the first one; you agreed with Another-Poet, who said it was a potential gamender. My original comment was for everyone who was on the "hard feelings" section, you just happened to be the last one in that line. I apologize for that, as I said before it was not about you specifically.

..But someone better explain why this would cause hard feelings and quitting at some point, because I am not seeing it.

Anxe
2011-01-12, 12:43 AM
What would I do? I'd start maiming the other PCs. Toy with them. Make them SUFFER!

Santra
2011-01-12, 12:48 AM
The fact that you have to ask this is what makes me think it won't go well.

You mention several times that the DM is OK with it. What about the other players? I don't mean their characters, I mean the other players. Did you consult them about it? Does it suit their style? Do they think it's a cool story arc and they're eager to tackle it in a friendly way?

That's why so many here have a bad reaction.
No I did not consult them before hand. That would have ruined the very nature of the surprise. IF I had consulted them they would not have trusted my character. I spent the entire game as a CN character in a CG party. I went with them and supported their goals however misguided I thought they were. I never once fought against them. I just managed to subvert their goals into helping mine. The cleric got his mountain temple with the platinum alter to his god. The ranger got his vengance on the orcs that killed his family. The fighter got...well he didnt have a goal except to be the best swordsman ever. The warlock got his soul back and is about a month away from achieving Demigodhood. I offered for them to join me as my mistresses army conqures the area in her name. Hell she is not even "evil" her will is the death of all dragons who refuse to bow down to her. She wasnts to depose tiamat and make herself the god of chromatic dragons. That is her will and my character supports that. She just needs worshipers to fully achieve that.

Psyren
2011-01-12, 12:50 AM
The cleric got his mountain temple with the platinum alter to his god. The ranger got his vengance on the orcs that killed his family. The fighter got...well he didnt have a goal except to be the best swordsman ever. The warlock got his soul back and is about a month away from achieving Demigodhood.

This is all I needed to see. Well done, especially to your DM :smallsmile:

Crossblade
2011-01-12, 01:58 AM
. Hell she is not even "evil" her will is the death of all dragons who refuse to bow down to her.

Megalomania is evil.

Edit: So is genocide.

Smeggedoff
2011-01-12, 02:06 AM
Megalomania is evil.

Hey, you can't spell mass slaughter without laughter.

Hats off to to you and your GM Santra, Sounds like a throughly enjoyable campaign.

Dragonmuncher
2011-01-12, 02:20 AM
Plus, it doesn't even have to be the end of the campaign. The sorcerer should probably become an NPC in the near future if you want to keep playing as a group, but having the new Big Bad be an Evil Overlord Dragon and his lieutenant that used you all to further his own plans... that sounds pretty awesome to me.

Plus, when they finally hunt down the sorcerer and kick his teeth in, it'll be all the more sweet :smallbiggrin:

It'd be a bastard move if you, say murdered them all in their sleep, but this seems fine.

Comet
2011-01-12, 02:20 AM
I'm throwing my hat into the 'good show' ring, too.

Good show!

edit:

This would be pretty sweet, come to think of it. Provided you could come up with suitable motivation for said double crossing.

Earthwalker
2011-01-12, 06:23 AM
Firstly to the OP well done, a wonderful story and a well played character that sounds like the end of a great campaign.

..But someone better explain why this would cause hard feelings and quitting at some point, because I am not seeing it.

Here is how.
Another person in the group may have a character goal to keep the hamlet of Lower Chopstick safe. He has spent the last 2 years game time keeping the area safe and protecting it. Then in the last sessions of the campaign this is the reveal. The white dragon is summoned and the hamlet is right in the path of deestruction.
Everything the character did in the last 2 years is forgotten and then the DM calls an end to the campaign.
One players gets a grand finaly the other loses everything.
This can be made all the worse when there is no way the player can know this was going to happen, his character never once got any kind of sense motive roll or any other game affect to know the other player was lieing to him.

Heliomance
2011-01-12, 06:58 AM
Alternatively, Another person in the group may have a character goal to keep the hamlet of Lower Chopstick safe. He has spent the last 2 years game time keeping the area safe and protecting it. Then in the last sessions of the arc this is the reveal. The white dragon is summoned and the hamlet is right in the path of destruction. A new arc starts as the remainder of the party frantically try and deal with the consequences of this dragon being resurrected, and the ex-PC becomes one of the most deliciously hated villains of all time.

If this happened in a game I was in, I wouldn't ragequit. I'd go "wow, you magnificent bastard." I would then proceed to have great fun dealing with the fallout, with an emotional involvement deeper than before due to the fact that the BBEG's second in command is someone the characters have got to know and trust.

Earthwalker
2011-01-12, 07:08 AM
A new arc starts as the remainder of the party frantically try and deal with the consequences of this dragon being resurrected, and the ex-PC becomes one of the most deliciously hated villains of all time.

If this happened in a game I was in, I wouldn't ragequit. I'd go "wow, you magnificent bastard." I would then proceed to have great fun dealing with the fallout, with an emotional involvement deeper than before due to the fact that the BBEG's second in command is someone the characters have got to know and trust.

I agree with you, my example was more if thats when the campaign ended and the players had no chance to respond to what had happened.

One thing I would like to know as well, is how many rolls / chances did the other players have at spotting this deception. I have had bad experiances in the past where my character is good at spotting if people are lieing, and can read people really well, but other PCs can lie to my character in game and I never get a roll to spot it. Sort of a "The GM likes this plan so it will work" kind of thing.

Emmerask
2011-01-12, 07:16 AM
All I can say is good job :smallsmile:

2xMachina
2011-01-12, 07:24 AM
Pretty interesting.

If I were playing in that game, I'd probably won't mind, and treat it as a Plot Twist from the DM who got a player to help him.

Seems like a standard Nice Job Breaking It Hero (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/NiceJobBreakingItHero) plot.

Santra
2011-01-12, 08:08 AM
I agree with you, my example was more if thats when the campaign ended and the players had no chance to respond to what had happened.

One thing I would like to know as well, is how many rolls / chances did the other players have at spotting this deception. I have had bad experiances in the past where my character is good at spotting if people are lieing, and can read people really well, but other PCs can lie to my character in game and I never get a roll to spot it. Sort of a "The GM likes this plan so it will work" kind of thing.

They got their chances and I was hoping they would find out before hand. The DM made a sense motive check using their ranks + bonuses vs. my bluff. He did all the rolls so nothing was let on. The problem being that as a sorcerer I had a really high charisma and bluff. Three or four times the DM warned them "Hey he seems like he is hiding something" or "you know that does not sound like something he would do/say normally" and I would counter with some magnificent lies that would be believed.

Santra
2011-01-12, 08:11 AM
Megalomania is evil.

Well technically she only wants to kill chromatic dragons who wont bow down to her. She does not care what mortals or metallic dragons think. And since chromatic dragons are generally evil she is not THAT bad

Earthwalker
2011-01-12, 08:15 AM
They got their chances and I was hoping they would find out before hand. The DM made a sense motive check using their ranks + bonuses vs. my bluff. He did all the rolls so nothing was let on. The problem being that as a sorcerer I had a really high charisma and bluff. Three or four times the DM warned them "Hey he seems like he is hiding something" or "you know that does not sound like something he would do/say normally" and I would counter with some magnificent lies that would be believed.

Well thats all shiny then :)

I am impressed with what you have done and would to have loved to play in the game. I was posting the question as someone in the thread had asked why would people be upset, I was giving possible reasons. Just playing Devils Advocate.

Well done once again on a well played character

Dreadn4ught
2011-01-12, 08:24 AM
Reroll a good character, join your old party, and make your next adventure taking down your old character!

That sounds like a great idea! Only an ancient white dragon, a 14th level sorcerer, and an army to take down!

Plus the sorcerer has a staff with permanent dire winter cast on it!

Sipex
2011-01-12, 09:57 AM
Agreed, this is a magnificent story and it sounds like everything followed the right channels.

Kind of sucks for you in a way though, the last chapter of the campaign has you playing some new mook who you barely get to flesh out. Maybe see if there's a major NPC you guys know who you can take and flesh out with the DMs permission.

Unless you have something specific in mind.

the clumsy bard
2011-01-12, 10:07 AM
This

http://www.giantitp.com/comics/oots0652.html

Comes to mind when talking about your dead ancestor.

Lost Demiurge
2011-01-12, 10:23 AM
Ha! Well done!

Really, as long as the other players and the GM are cool with it, I don't see a problem. Sounds like everyone who wanted to achieve something got the chance.

And now, your DM has a seed for a future campaign... A hundred years hence, when you and your mistress turn to conquering the world, a plucky band of descendants of your group's other PC's must gather to stop the draconic invasion...

dob
2011-01-12, 03:19 PM
If I were in this party, I would have loved it. And would love even more trying to take down the now-NPC sorcerer and his evil dragon horde.

BenInHB
2011-01-12, 03:44 PM
AWESOME, totally awesome. I love moments in games like these, when you can look back at a string of past events and go "oh s*%# how did i not connect the dots sooner"

Gullintanni
2011-01-12, 04:33 PM
This is textbook fantasy, and nothing but awesome. If I was running this game, I'd be retiring the party though.

The backstory for the next game would be about a group of legendary heroes waging tireless war upon their treacherous former comrade. Locked in a lethal stalemate a new group of adventurers must tip the balance. The reward for perpetrating an epic betrayal on your party members is that you've written the backstory for your next campaign.

That's how I'd approach things. I'd definitely find a way to blend elements of that story into the next game.

Jarawara
2011-01-12, 06:59 PM
Well, if I were the dragon, I'd now be retiring the character and bringing out another to join the party. (Easier to do since we have previously retired characters, I'd just have one come out of retirement to join this campaign for the conclusion**).

And then, as the new PC, I'd be fully and wholly committed to helping the party stop this evil abomination and threat to mankind. I would have the enjoyment of playing against the BBEG, while also having the enjoyment of having been the BBEG (though the DM actually plays him for the conclusion of this fight).

And the rest of the PC's now have their grand finale fight before them, and also get the benefit of kicking my ass! (Which they assure me they wish to do, often.)

** I would check with the DM first, to make sure we are preparing for a grand conclusion. If this is just one more step in an ongoing campaign, I don't think I'd want a previously retired character messing up the new campaign. Though I do have several previously played characters who haven't finished their own character arcs, and I might be able to draw upon one of them. If not, then it's chargen for me.

Santra
2011-01-12, 08:20 PM
Reroll a good character, join your old party, and make your next adventure taking down your old character!

That sounds like a great idea! Only an ancient white dragon, a 14th level sorcerer, and an army to take down!

Plus the sorcerer has a staff with permanent dire winter cast on it!

No actually my character was level 19 when this all happened. We started the campaign at level 5

AtlanteanTroll
2011-01-12, 08:25 PM
Alternatively, Another person in the group may have a character goal to keep the hamlet of Lower Chopstick safe. He has spent the last 2 years game time keeping the area safe and protecting it. Then in the last sessions of the arc this is the reveal. The white dragon is summoned and the hamlet is right in the path of destruction. A new arc starts as the remainder of the party frantically try and deal with the consequences of this dragon being resurrected, and the ex-PC becomes one of the most deliciously hated villains of all time.

My reason for getting up and going would be all the focus on Santra. (Has no proof other people didn't get coolio focus.)

Psychonix
2011-01-12, 08:30 PM
My reason for getting up and going would be all the focus on Santra. (Has no proof other people didn't get coolio focus.)

This was addressed earlier by OP

The cleric got his mountain temple with the platinum alter to his god. The ranger got his vengance on the orcs that killed his family. The fighter got...well he didnt have a goal except to be the best swordsman ever. The warlock got his soul back and is about a month away from achieving Demigodhood.

RebelRogue
2011-01-12, 08:41 PM
You get nothing but thumbs up here: parties where characters have a few hidden agendas, but still want to move in the same general direction for most of the plot can be magnificent when done right. And it seems it's been done so here: no destructive game disruption, except for the big reveal, which basically retires your own character, not any of the others'. Kudos to you and the DM too :smallcool:

WarKitty
2011-01-12, 09:10 PM
What I'd do? Have the player who turned out to be the BBEG take over DM'ing. :smallwink:

Pink
2011-01-13, 02:29 AM
What I'd do? Have the player who turned out to be the BBEG take over DM'ing. :smallwink:

This. This is the best responce I've heard.

Also, another Thumbs up for having a great time.

huttj509
2011-01-13, 02:48 AM
Cmon guys, we need to save the world so I can rule it with a draconic fist!

I mean, um, we need to save the world!

I think a PC being the secret focus of the story is a very different thing from a PC always being in the spotlight. If nobody feels put out during the campaign, then having a sudden paradigm shift where you realize you were used frequently by one of your companions for ends that were not, shall we say, 'good', seems awesome, as long as a) nobody's suddenly dead unexpectedly. Taking someone's character from them kinda sucks unless it's a pvp type game. And b) The remainder of the party now has the option of tracking your former character's ass down, and attempting to soundly kick it (probably with the assistance of a new guy whose town got razed by the dragon army or something).

Saying "haha, thanks, yer all dead now", or "campaign done, I win" would feel a bit silly. If I were playing I'd want a chance to try to undo what I had helped get done, which seems to be an option.

Santra
2011-01-13, 05:28 AM
Thanks for all the responses everyone! It has been decided that my character is retired to awesome bad guy status and is being set up for a future fight. While I am playing a Gold Dragon wizard that sees bad things coming if the dragon Talistraillet succeeds and meets up with the party to help fight. Its kind of strange that I have to play as if I dont know that my sorcerer (who became famous with the rest the party) is actually helping the bad guy. The rest of the party is going to keep it quiet and say he died to protect themselves.

Karuth
2011-01-13, 06:20 AM
This sounds like one hell of a game. I'd have loved to play in that.
And as many have pointed out already, if this twist is used properly it could make a great story with a huge final showdown.

I had an intraparty conflict once and had much fun with it as well. Although it ended with a direct confrontation between the ones that chose good and the ones that chose bad (the party got tempted by an evil power and one accepted the deal).
But the fight between the split group was one of the best, hardest battles and RPs I ever had. It was brutal to no end, with emotions going high (but luckily in character emotions only). We all had much fun doing it and started with a new party afterwards.