PDA

View Full Version : UA: simple rogue variant question

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-12, 01:54 AM
Does the simple rogue variant get its bonus feats at the same levels that a rogue normally gets sneak attack, or at the same levels a fighter gets their feats? The text says that the rogue gets bonus feats "as a fighter"...

Greenish
2011-01-12, 02:49 AM
It gains bonus feats as a fighter, so one at 1st level and one each even level.

Escheton
2011-01-12, 02:53 AM
You get fighterfeats and rogueskills. On a rogue bab base.
So just get yourself a nice umd item of divine powah or tenser's transformation.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-12, 02:55 AM
It gains bonus feats as a fighter, so one at 1st level and one each even level.

You're quite certain? Then taking two levels of variant rogue net you 2 bonus feats, evasion, trap finding, and all those delicious skills (if they're your first two levels then you can get a bunch of synergies too). Very nice.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-12, 03:00 AM
BQ: Since they get the bonus feats "as a fighter", can they take exclusive fighter feats like weapon specialization? My guess is not.

Escheton
2011-01-12, 03:05 AM
Depends, you don't actually have fighterlevels. So the feats that require a minimum fighterlvl are not options to take. But the lower lvl versions that do not require that are options.

Cadian 9th
2011-01-12, 03:13 AM
It's quite a good variant for a two level dip if you want to get a skill and feat boost, say, to qualify for a PrC or what have you.

Also, if you use Assasin's Stance and swashbuckler, for Daring Outlaw, and another source of sneak attack, you can get sneak attack back from the rogue levels by proxy.

Thurbane
2011-01-12, 05:51 AM
BQ: Since they get the bonus feats "as a fighter", can they take exclusive fighter feats like weapon specialization? My guess is not.
It's an often asked question, and the overwhelming consensus is "no".

Greenish
2011-01-12, 09:29 AM
You're quite certain? Then taking two levels of variant rogue net you 2 bonus feats, evasion, trap finding, and all those delicious skills (if they're your first two levels then you can get a bunch of synergies too). Very nice.I'm quite a fan of the dip meself, and I don't see how it could be read on any other way (though whether people find the obvious interpretation balanced is another matter).