PDA

View Full Version : Implosion Effects?

Chilingsworth
2011-01-12, 12:58 PM
My character recently got implosion cast on her and died. I was wondering, what does the spell leave behind? Does it just implode you enough to kill and render the body useless for Raise Dead? Or does it render the body blackhole-like (except with insufficent mass to actually suck anything else in, and therefore quickly "evaporating")? Or does it do something in between?

In any case, I'd assume I'll need a minimum of Resurrection to bring her back, and I'm guessing her remains (as long as they aren't of the quick-evaporating blackhole variety) will wiegh as much as her body.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-12, 01:13 PM
I always picture it as being like the botched teleportation from Galaxy Quest - basically turning you inside out.

Mastikator
2011-01-12, 01:20 PM
The one thing that's nice about this is that's an evocation and not negative-energy based, so it works on undead and constructs.

Anyway, according to the description it says the target collapses into itself. I'd imagine it'd leave a super-dense tiny ball.

Reynard
2011-01-12, 01:22 PM
The one thing that's nice about this is that's an evocation and not negative-energy based, so it works on undead and constructs.

Anyway, according to the description it says the target collapses into itself. I'd imagine it'd leave a super-dense tiny ball.

Or just a crushed ribcage+major organs. The spell is pretty vague about what actually happens.

Starbuck_II
2011-01-12, 02:15 PM
My character recently got implosion cast on her and died. I was wondering, what does the spell leave behind? Does it just implode you enough to kill and render the body useless for Raise Dead? Or does it render the body blackhole-like (except with insufficent mass to actually suck anything else in, and therefore quickly "evaporating")? Or does it do something in between?

In any case, I'd assume I'll need a minimum of Resurrection to bring her back, and I'm guessing her remains (as long as they aren't of the quick-evaporating blackhole variety) will wiegh as much as her body.

Think Beef Stroghinoff. Little pieces of her are everywhere (each an inch width at most).

Octopus Jack
2011-01-12, 02:18 PM
I always picture it as being like the botched teleportation from Galaxy Quest - basically turning you inside out.

Then exploding? :smallwink:

Chilingsworth
2011-01-12, 02:22 PM
Then exploding? :smallwink:

The thing is, she's not made out of anything that would explode after being compressed, afaik. So, I'd guess she'd stay imploded.:smallconfused:

Jan Mattys
2011-01-12, 02:24 PM
The thing is, she's not made out of anything that would explode after being compressed, afaik. So, I'd guess she'd stay imploded.:smallconfused:

Everything explodes if you compress it enough first.

Octopus Jack
2011-01-12, 02:25 PM
Everything explodes.

Didn't need that second bit.

Erom
2011-01-12, 02:27 PM
To kill some catgirls, if we expect the material to react normally, then as soon as the compression force from the spell wears off you would expect the materials expand back out until the pressure neutralizes. However, the sheer forces during compression and expansion would rip most things to shreds, and some permanent deformation is to be expected.

In other words, when the spell wears off I would expect the body to expand to about 60% of it's original volume but be shredded to bits. Starbucks suggestion of Beef Stroghinoff is probably pretty accurate.

Keld Denar
2011-01-12, 03:15 PM

Its a fort save, and it doesn't explicitly work on objects (unlike Disintegrate), so undead and constructs would be immune by virtue of their creature type.

The best part about Implosion is that it doesn't have the [Death] tag, so Death Ward and similar effects are powerless to stop it.

AslanCross
2011-01-12, 05:44 PM
Considering the kind of damage the spell does, I'd rule you could be raised using raise dead, but you're going to be significantly crippled when you get back. Resurrection would get you back in decent shape.

Ernir
2011-01-12, 05:53 PM
There is a tangential reference to it in Ghostwalk. Apparently, this is one of the most gruesome deaths the author could think of.

the creature's wounds are the stuff of nightmares: people who have had their brains extracted by a mind flayer, who have been tortured to death by malevolent sadists, who died from aggressive diseases such as mummy rot, or who were the targets of an implosion spell.

I downplay this a bit in my games...

Beelzebub1111
2011-01-12, 05:57 PM
You'd need a Resurrection. Remember that episode of futurama with Boneitis? Think that but all focused inside towards one point.

Claudius Maximus
2011-01-12, 08:10 PM
I had always imagined this spell sort of just crumpled people in a bit, like collapsing their ribcages and breaking their limbs or something. Never considered the Beef Stroghinoff or near-singularity approaches.

Lateral
2011-01-12, 08:58 PM
Yeah, I just pictured it as 'your innards a splode inward'. It's not a death effect, so you can be raised after it.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-12, 09:01 PM
Yeah, I just pictured it as 'your innards a splode inward'. It's not a death effect, so you can be raised after it.

Raise Dead also requires an intact corpse, and I can't imagine a spell called Implosion happens to kill you but leave a neatly and perfectly undamaged body behind. Resurrection only requires a small chunk of the corpse though.

Lateral
2011-01-12, 09:12 PM
Raise Dead also requires an intact corpse, and I can't imagine a spell called Implosion happens to kill you but leave a neatly and perfectly undamaged body behind. Resurrection only requires a small chunk of the corpse though.

Well, yeah, but you could apply similar logic to many mortal wounds. 'Skull bashed in by warhammer' or 'body dashed on jagged rocks after having falling ten thousand and ridiculous feet from the top of a flying dire marmoset' wouldn't really result in an intact corpse. Neither would being fried with a simple orb of electricity, for that matter.

The Glyphstone
2011-01-12, 09:33 PM
Well, yeah, but you could apply similar logic to many mortal wounds. 'Skull bashed in by warhammer' or 'body dashed on jagged rocks after having falling ten thousand and ridiculous feet from the top of a flying dire marmoset' wouldn't really result in an intact corpse. Neither would being fried with a simple orb of electricity, for that matter.

A hole in your head from a warhammer and having your entire body turned inside out are fairly different scales of overall damage - and I wouldn't allow a body that fell ten thousand feet off a flying dire marmoset to be Raise Dead-ed either. Granted, that's using my 'total ruination' interpretation of the spell, as I think should be appropriate for a 9th-level Save or Die, but it also goes for the 'crushed into a singularity' interpretation. If you use a less viscerally lethal version/vision, Raise Dead could function.

Lateral
2011-01-12, 10:03 PM
A hole in your head from a warhammer and having your entire body turned inside out are fairly different scales of overall damage - and I wouldn't allow a body that fell ten thousand feet off a flying dire marmoset to be Raise Dead-ed either. Granted, that's using my 'total ruination' interpretation of the spell, as I think should be appropriate for a 9th-level Save or Die, but it also goes for the 'crushed into a singularity' interpretation. If you use a less viscerally lethal version/vision, Raise Dead could function.

Well, that's true. Thematically, I guess it just comes down to what you picture the spell doing.