PDA

View Full Version : Can Someone Answer a Few OGL Questions?

wayfare
2011-01-12, 03:51 PM
Hey all;

I just had a few questions about OGL that i could use some help with. I intend to create a website with some of my d20 work in a complete campaign setting, and i was wondering if that was ok.

Questions

1) Can I use spells as written in the SRD as part of my campaign setting?
2) Can I change how said spells function
3) Can I use the classes in the SRD
4) Can I use feats that are in the SRD
5) Can iuse feats that are NOT in the SRD
5a) If i can't use those feats, can I create feats that have similar functions but are named differently

Any help is appreciated!

TroubleBrewing
2011-01-12, 03:57 PM
I don't know too much about it myself, but it's usually safer to just rename things. Honestly. It isn't too hard, it gives a nice bit of personal flair to the game, and it usually prevents you from getting involved in unpleasant legal issues. But again, this isn't my area of expertise, so take my advice with a grain of salt.

Xiander
2011-01-12, 04:20 PM
Anything in the srd is fair game. After all there are things missing from the srd because it would be illegal to have them there, which suggest that there are no legal quarrels with what is there.

Yora
2011-01-12, 04:25 PM
If for some obscure reasons there should be trouble, I won't take responsibility for it by claiming that what I do here is giving legal advice.

But good for you, the answer to all your question is a complete and very clear Yes!

Those things are exactly what the SRD was meant for.
If it is in the SRD you may copy it any way you like. You may also take them and alter them in any way you like.
The only thing where you have to be careful is 5.a): You can alter any feat that is in the SRD, but what might get you into trouble is creating a new feat that does the same thing as a feat that is not part of the SRD. Like copying a feat from a non OGL-source and just giving it a different name. I think people have often been stating that US laws even allow that, but I don't know the truth about it. If you want to be safe, stay away from doing it.

Important to note is, that you really should work ONLY with the SRD itself. While it includes almost all content from the PHB, DMG, MM, Unearhted Arcana, and Expanded Psionic Handbook, there are some things in the books that are not part of the SRD. And those you may not use. So always copy things from the SRD and don't type them from the books. That way you're on the safe side.

If you really want to put your work online, I suggest reading the actual OGL. It's not that difficult to read, but it includes a list of terms that WotC explicitly forbids other people to use. Reading that list just once is probably a good idea, maybe there are some you didn't expect to find there.
Also, another very important clause is the one that requires everyone making use of the OGL, which you would, to include a copy of the OGL anywhere within the document. If you make it a pdf, it usually goes on the second or last page. If you make a website, it has to be somewhere on the site.

Lazyleo
2011-01-13, 02:41 AM
i have to post in order to find my oldpost srry lol