PDA

View Full Version : Putting a price on paralysis

LOTRfan
2011-01-12, 07:05 PM
Hello, playgrounders. Currently, I am working on a magic item over at the homebrew forum, and I seem to have come across an issue on pricing (I think this belongs over here, since this is not really a homebrew issue, just giving it a price using pre-established rules).

So, said magic item has a range of 30 ft., and allows the wearer to paralyze a target for 1d4 rounds (DC 15). It is usable every 5 rounds. The wearer must also make a successful touch attack before the effects occur.

What is a fair price for this magic item?

Saint GoH
2011-01-12, 07:11 PM
Hrmm... Well a whip that can do basically the same thing is a +2 (I think) enchantment, and can do it every round at a higher DC.

So 4k at least, but then you have to take into account the reach, and having it not take up an item slot I believe raises the cost substantially.

ShneekeyTheLost
2011-01-12, 07:18 PM
Flat DC's make users cry. Friends don't let friends rely on flat DC's for SoL effects.

In other words, it would not be an item worth bothering with at any price, IMHO.

LOTRfan
2011-01-12, 07:20 PM
Alright. I was under the impression that only the old grafts did that (multiplying both the price and cost by two, I think), and that new grafts didn't increase the price, because of hit point and ability score drain.

linebackeru
2011-01-12, 07:24 PM
So a...ring (?) of Hold Person? Seems easy enough to price.

LOTRfan
2011-01-12, 07:29 PM
.... Alright, then, hold person. Why didn't I think of that? I guess that's all I really needed, then, so thanks. I'll make a few minor adjustments to the price since its not a ring, but thats pretty much what I need for a comparison.