PDA

View Full Version : Changling rogue and possibly PrC

Master Thrower
2011-01-12, 08:03 PM
I'm looking to make a changling rouge/ anything stealth oriented. how would I do this?
edit also I have trouble spelling. :smallsmile:

BG
2011-01-12, 08:19 PM
You need to put down a good foundation first, changelings tend to have a neutral tone that the rouge will really set off.

Sorry, that was me being a jerk (rouge is a makeup, rogue is the class).

Anyway, one thing I always recommend for stealth-focused characters Darkstalker from Lords of Madness. It means that even if a creature has blindsense or scent or anything like that, you can still roll hide.

AslanCross
2011-01-12, 08:21 PM
There's the Disguise Kit, which includes makeup. I'd think rouge would be part of---oh, rogue.

It's too bad that Races of Eberron isn't one of the listed sources, as it has the Changeling Rogue ACF (10+Int Skill Points!).

In any case, I'd think the Changeling Rogue would be better suited to impersonating guards to get information, as well as assassinating people to take their place instead of sneaking around invisibly like a halfling rogue would. There really isn't much to go on from the sources you mentioned, as far as I can remember.

Burnheart
2011-01-12, 08:26 PM
Can someone explain the abbrevations? I get players handbook, dugeon masters guide, complete arcane, divine, warrior and adverturer but i don't get PLH, DrC, LB.

Master Thrower
2011-01-12, 08:32 PM
Can someone explain the abbrevations? I get players handbook, dugeon masters guide, complete arcane, divine, warrior and adverturer but i don't get PLH, DrC, LB.

Planar Handbook, Draconomicon, and Libris Mortis respectivly

Burnheart
2011-01-12, 08:53 PM
Try looking through here: http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl that has a list of maybe every feat with a description of what it does which would give you more options then just the books you have also try here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm as it has lots of variant rules for all classes.
edit: also what is this for a solo game or are there other characters? if there are others what are their builds assuming you want something that would fit with the party? and what is the setting like is it going to be mostly urban or more normal travel around raiding dugeons?

Master Thrower
2011-01-12, 09:33 PM
Try looking through here: http://www.realmshelps.net/cgi-bin/featsform.pl that has a list of maybe every feat with a description of what it does which would give you more options then just the books you have also try here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm as it has lots of variant rules for all classes.
edit: also what is this for a solo game or are there other characters? if there are others what are their builds assuming you want something that would fit with the party? and what is the setting like is it going to be mostly urban or more normal travel around raiding dugeons?

we do a fair mix of both. But i was looking at a way to build off my enchanged bluff/disugise abilties

Burnheart
2011-01-12, 10:20 PM
Hmmm, see if you had races of destiny i would suggest the Chameleon PrC as that lets you mimic class abilites, what better way to infiltrate the cult of dark priests than to mimic some basic divine casting, apart from the Chameleon PrC what about shadowdancer for hide in plain sight? useful when your covers blow and for sneaking in general.

Master Thrower
2011-01-12, 10:25 PM
Hmmm, see if you had races of destiny i would suggest the Chameleon PrC as that lets you mimic class abilites, what better way to infiltrate the cult of dark priests than to mimic some basic divine casting, apart from the Chameleon PrC what about shadowdancer for hide in plain sight? useful when your covers blow and for sneaking in general.

hmm so something along the lines of
Rogue 3 Swashbuckler 3 Shadowdancer 3? (9th level party)

Burnheart
2011-01-12, 10:39 PM
Can't, you need hide 10 before you can take shadowdancer so thats at least 7 level in something else Swashbuckler 3 Rogue 4 possablely? of course if you want to focus on your disguise ability what about spymaster from complete adventurer?
edit: also for a disguise focus consider jack of all trades, lets you make trained only skill cheaks and if your evil maybe assassin?

the clumsy bard
2011-01-12, 11:43 PM
Consider rogue sub levels from races of eberron as previously mentioned.

Also from the same book is the prestige class cabinet trickster.

It allows you to disguise and change form better more like a doppelganger.

Combine it with mindspy and warshaper for more fun.

Cerlis
2011-01-13, 12:08 AM
Warshaper is nice, and I'd always suggest a look at Chameleon (races of destiny?) for any changeling. Its so much easier to be different people when you can actually become different people.

HunterOfJello
2011-01-13, 12:19 AM
Here's the build you're going to take.

Changeling Rogue 1/Factotum X/ Master of the Masks 1/ Chamelon X
or
Changeling Rogue 1/Factotum X/ Master of the Masks 1

Changeling Rogue 1 (substitution level from Races of Eberron) will start you off with a (10 + int) x4 skill points, a godly number. The Changeling Rogue 1 will also give you the ability to 'Take 10' on bluff, diplomacy, sense motive and a few other social skills. This is an amazingly useful ability. Taking Able Learner at that point would be good if you're interested in going into Chameleon. Otherwise, pick something else up.

~

Eventually you'll want to dip into Master of the Masks so that you can create a gladiator mask and have Proficiency with ALL Exotic Weapons. This ability is great and comes at a fairly low cost, since you will have tons of skill points as a Factotum anyway.

The class requires Bluff 8 ranks, Disguise 8 ranks, Perform (act) 8 ranks and Four Languages Known. As a Changeling Factotum, you should max out Bluff, have a very high Disguise and know as many languages as you think you'll ever hear anyway. The Perform (acting) doesn't sound very useful, but you can always use it as a distraction in or out of combat to attract lots of attention to a gripping monologue you just performed. You can also use it to grab some spare change in a city if you happen to be robbed by brigands or something.

Master Thrower
2011-01-15, 04:17 PM
what about mindspy? how would I be able to get into it easier?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-15, 04:29 PM
what about mindspy? how would I be able to get into it easier?

IIRC one of the Iron Chef contest used Mind Spy as the secret ingredient; so perhaps looking into it would be a good idea; I might try to find the link.

Edit::smallredface: My bad the secret ingredient was Psi-Bond agent