PDA

View Full Version : Adventures for One

Kahai
2011-01-12, 08:32 PM
Lately I've been asked to act as DM for a small group of people... One person.

Since the rule books have all of their challenges designed for a four character party, are there any considerations or guidelines for making adventures for the lone adventurer?

A solution which does not involve 'just have them play four characters' would be preferred.

Volos
2011-01-12, 08:41 PM
Have them play a druid or other character that comes with a cohort animal companion or familiar. If the player is smart, they can use their class feature given friend to aid them in battle. I played a Kobold Sorcerer with a small viper familiar for several solo game sessions without taking a single point of damage because I knew how to use my familiar to the best possible effect. Druids are even more versatile with their 3/4 BAB, Good Fort and Will, Full Spellcasting, and Wild Shape abilities.

As for challenging a single player, half the number of monsters in any given encounter. Watch to see how well they handle themselves. If they are able to easily mop the floor with your baddies, up the numbers or the challenge rating accordingly. This gives your player a chance to shine as well as allows you a chance to test their strength.

But seriously, have them play a Druid. Good mix of offense, defensive, healing, and buff spells as well as some amazing class features like a free cohort.

Burnheart
2011-01-12, 08:47 PM
I don't have much to add yet as i have just started DMing for the first time ever and with just one player too but so far i have had NPC's around for all but one fight which was a one on one duel with a recurring villan and have been talk into adding a DMPC since its my players first time playing too however i will mention that i have been using the reserve point system from here: http://www.d20srd.org/index.htm to help with the lack of healing.

Siosilvar
2011-01-12, 09:32 PM
Gestalt (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/gestaltCharacters.htm) can help if they know how to build it. You'll want or need the versatility.

Alternately, DMPCs can handle skill bases, set up flanks, give the single PC more time to do whatever, etc.

Run encounters with weaker creatures. The difference just 1-2 levels makes is surprising.

Godskook
2011-01-12, 09:49 PM
Possible ideas:

1.Direct your player towards versatile, high-powered, classes and options. Have him learn the tier list, and focus on tier 3 or better(Factotum is a better sneak than a rogue is for most purposes outside of qualifying for hybrid classes).

2.Make houserules that favor him:
2a.Allow additional point-buy to be bought. I use current point-buy squared to advance it by 1, capped at level +30. You might use level+50.
2b.Allow additional feats to be bought. I use a scaling cost that's essentially the same as level(1kxp for the first, 2kxp, etc....)
2c.Give some weak feats a cheap flat xp cost, to make them more viable(Weapon Focus, Skill Focus, Open Minded!)
2d.Allow him to maximize HD for an XP cost(again, I use the level of the HD/4)

3.Use variants that support his loneliness, such as Gestalt. Consider allowing him to have more than 2 'lines', allowing prestige classes on multiple lines, and definitely houserule the system to work with at least some hybrid classes like daggerspell mage or jade phoenix mage. Me, if I were to use it, I would say that all prestige classes are allowed, but you couldn't 'overclock' things like manifester levels, spellcaster levels, etc...

4.Allow some RAW abuse, as long as it promotes longevity moreso than power, such as using a psionic recharge trick.

Jeramiahh
2011-01-12, 09:56 PM
I've run dozens and dozens of single-player dungeon crawls for players, over the last three years, and I have a few basic tips.

1) Allies. Almost every game, I give the player another person to adventure with; sometimes it's a helpless, or near helpless civilian, giving them someone to protect and interact with, or to help set up a flank (for rogues), or simply provide an extra pair of eyes, or a lower-level adventurer, usually a cleric or arcane caster or even a fighter; something simple, and easy for the DM to manage. What's important is to not upstage the player, and make them indecisive, so the player is still in charge of making the decisions for the 'party'.

2) Don't start at 1. Level 1 characters are horribly squishy. One hit, and down they go. I start my games at 6th level,and let them advance from there, and slowly.

3) Social encounters! This one should be obvious, but single-player games are an excellent opportunity to drop players in lots of social encounters, and get a chance to roleplay them out. Award them exp, just like a battle, and have them have consequences.

4) Plan for the worst. Assume your player will hit 0 hp, and fall unconscious, and plan for what will happen. Also, be prepared to give them extra healing supplies; even a cleric won't want to use all of their magic, just recovering.

5) Limited encounters. I never throw more than 2 encounters a day at a character, so they don't need to hold back, and can fight at full strength, most of the time. This lets you throw enemies that might be more dangerous, but still...

6) Send weaker enemies. For my 6th level characters, a good fight might be a single CR 5, or 4 CR 1's or 2's, depending on the player's build.

7) Play to their strengths! Don't make the rogue fight in well-lit, open areas, and don't make the archer fight in cramped quarters and tight hallways. Let them show off; they're center stage, after all.

8) Have fun. Core rule of everything, of course, but always keep it in mind.

Adrayll
2011-01-12, 10:19 PM
Interesting from a plot view as well; start them off at about level 2-4, with the apprentice feat for free (DMG II). They journey with their master. Then, when they surpass the master, give them an apprentice who they have to nurture and look after. This can have obvious, and subtle dividends once they party ways (or possibly don't)