PDA

View Full Version : Shadow Blend question

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-13, 02:16 AM
So I'm playing an elf warlock with the shadow creature template from LoM in a module called "Devil in the Mist", and in the last session the question came up of whether my Shadow Blend works like invisibility in the sense of disappearing after I attack. I hadn't even considered that it might not, and that I might actually have essentially perpetual total concealment, which would make the character far more powerful than I had intended (she's been quite effective as is).

Anyone know?

Ernir
2011-01-13, 04:32 AM
There is nothing suggesting that attacking breaks this concealment.

2xMachina
2011-01-13, 07:41 AM
I believe it requires shadows? While in shadows, you're Hidden in Plain Sight, no roll.

A DM could reduce it's usefulness by adding more light.

Scarlet-Devil
2011-01-13, 01:16 PM
I believe it requires shadows? While in shadows, you're Hidden in Plain Sight, no roll.

A DM could reduce it's usefulness by adding more light.

It's not so much that it 'requires shadows' as that the only thing that negates it is full daylight, or a daylight spell. So far the majority of the adventure has taken place in sewers, and even above ground (where there's nothing happening anyway) the air is choked with an evil mist, presumably blocking out sunlight anyway. The adventure's location is about to change, as we ended the session with the whole party being drawn through some kind of hellish portal, but I doubt there's any full daylight wherever it's going to take us.

Person_Man
2011-01-13, 02:58 PM
Shadow Blend (Su): In any conditions other than full daylight, a shadow creature can disappear into the shadows, giving it total concealment. Artificial illumination, even a light or continual flame spell, does not negate this ability, but a daylight spell will.

From my reading of the ability I would say that once activated (a Standard Action, the default for Supernatural abilities) it is continuous until you enter an area of full daylight or has a daylight spell cast upon them. However, under the concealment rules it specifies that "A shadowy area or darkness doesn’t provide any concealment against an opponent with darkvision." Arguably that would apply in this situation, although arguably the specific mechanic of Shadow Blend beats the general rule of concealment. Also, enemies can still use Listen or Spot to locate the square you area standing in and attack the square. The miss chance is 50% (and this can be mitigated by Blind Fight and various other abilities) but you can still be attacked. And Shadow Blend provides no protection against area of effect attacks.

Also, nice find on this template. The abilities depend on hit dice, but at mid levels you could easily get Cold Resistance 15, Shadow Blend, Evasion, Fast Healing 2, Move Silently +6, +50% base land speed, and various other minor perks for a moderately reasonable cost of +2 LA.