PDA

View Full Version : What exectly are gods portofolios? (3.5)

akma
2011-01-13, 03:15 AM
I don`t have gods and demigods, and I don`t know why they are diffrent from domains.

BiblioRook
2011-01-13, 03:25 AM
I think the portfolios are more along the lines of fluff to give you an idea what the god's attention is focused on.

Game mechanic wise I think the gods tend to be able to intently be aware of when anything relating to their portfolios is used or comes up. Like a god of magic will know exactly when and where magic is being used, or a god of fighting will know when and where fights break out. I guess effectively this also means that gods that patron over specific classes will always know where each individual member of that class is and what they are up to, creepy.

gorfnab
2011-01-13, 03:28 AM
Portfolio - usually what the god in question is associated with or concerned about from a mortal perspective. This is more concept and fluff not mechanical in terms of gameplay.

Alleran
2011-01-13, 06:48 AM
I tend to see portfolios as representative of whatever "facet of reality" the god is concerned with. So the god of magic as the "magic" portfolio, meaning that he is intimately connected with and represents the part of reality that is magic.

Duke of URL
2011-01-13, 07:39 AM
Luckily, this information is in the SRD (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm):

Portfolio

Every deity of rank 1 or higher has at least limited knowledge and control over some aspect of mortal existence. A deity’s connection to its portfolio gives it a number of powers.

Portfolio Sense

Demigods have a limited ability to sense events involving their portfolios. They automatically sense any event that involves one thousand or more people. The ability is limited to the present. Lesser deities automatically sense any event that involves their portfolios and affects five hundred or more people. Intermediate deities automatically sense any event that involves their portfolios, regardless of the number of people involved. In addition, their senses extend one week into the past for every divine rank they have. Greater deities automatically sense any event that involves their portfolios, regardless of the number of people involved. In addition, their senses extend one week into the past and one week into the future for every divine rank they have. When a deity senses an event, it merely knows that the event is occurring and where it is. The deity receives no sensory information about the event. Once a deity notices an event, it can use its remote sensing power to perceive the event.

Automatic Actions

When performing an action within its portfolio, a deity can perform any action as a free action, as long as the check DC is equal to or less than the number on the table below. The number of free actions a deity can perform each round is also determined by the deity’s divine rank.

Create Magic Items

A deity of rank 1 or higher can create magic items related to its portfolio without any requisite item creation feat, provided that the deity possesses all other prerequisites for the item. The maximum item value a deity can create is a function of its divine rank (see table). The item’s cost and creation time remain unchanged, but the deity is free to undertake any activity when not laboring on the item.

If a deity has the item creation feat pertaining to the item it wishes to create, the cost (in gold and XP) and creation times are halved.

Eldan
2011-01-13, 07:45 AM
As an example, both Wee Jas (Lawful Neutral) and Nerull (Neutral Evil) have the Death domain.

However, Wee Jas preaches that one should face death with dignity, honour one's ancestors and only awaken undead when they are willing, and only temporarily. Nerull wants to kill everyone and feed them to his undead legions.

A very different approach, but the same domain.

Psyren
2011-01-13, 08:43 AM
From the SRD: A portfolio is one or more aspects of mortal existence that a deity is concerned with. ("knowledge of" and "control over").

Psyrogue'd

Portfolio - usually what the god in question is associated with or concerned about from a mortal perspective. This is more concept and fluff not mechanical in terms of gameplay.

There are mechanical aspects to the portfolios however - e.g. Portfolio Sense (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/divine/divineRanksAndPowers.htm#portfolioSense). The problem is that it's difficult to draw a line as to what a deity should and should not be aware of, especially when the entity trying to hide a certain activity from them is another deity.