PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Obscure weapon ehancements

Thurbane
2011-01-13, 05:52 AM
I was flipping through BoED magic item section, when I noticed something I hadn't paid attention to before.

The Enfeebling weapon enhancement - for the low price of a +1 bonus, you get a weapon that does 1d6+2 (temporary) strength damage on a critical. I checked the MIC, and it hadn't been updated.

Sounds like a very handy enhancement for a Lightning Mace build...

Are there any other gems I have missed that didn't make it to MIC?

Darrin
2011-01-13, 07:13 AM
Are there any other gems I have missed that didn't make it to MIC?

Torturous (+1 enhancement, Ghostwalk p. 64). On every successful attack, target must make a Fort save DC 12 or is stunned for 1 round. While the save DC is rather low, everyone rolls a 1 eventually, or you can upgrade the enhancement to +2 and the save goes up to DC 17. Soften up your target with Atramen Oil (Planar Handbook) and the save goes up to DC 21.

Wrathful Healing (+3 enhancement, Enemies & Allies p. 20). Probably the most obscure enhancement. Wielder is healed 50% of all damage the weapon deals.

Smoking (+1 enhancement, Lords of Darkness p. 180). Somewhat more well-known. Continuous concealment (20% miss chance) and opponents must save vs. nausea if they enter your square.

Rusting (+1 enhancement, Shining South p. 54). Not quite as powerful as rusting grasp, but unlimited uses. Attended shields/armor get a Fort save DC 16, but outside of combat you can (eventually) disintegrate anything made out of metal.

Flying (+1 enhancement, Magic of Faerun p. 140). Not exactly obscure, but under-utilized. Turns your weapon into an animated object with a 30' fly speed that can follow simple commands (similar to an animated skeleton or unseen servant) and attack on its own. So a somewhat cheaper version of a Dancing weapon. Add the Sizing property for +5000 GP and increase its size to Colossal for better animated object stats and four size increases on damage. Add this to a Variable shield and you can ride around on a colossal-sized tower shield as a magic carpet. Add this to a gauntlet and you've got a "mage hand" that can manipulate objects (unlimited range), wield a weapon, lift up to 80 lbs (medium-sized gauntlet = tiny object = Str 8), check for traps, etc. Make the gauntlet out of riverine (1 lb gauntlet = +2000 GP) to make it immune to all damage and almost all spell effects (it can also b!tchslap incorporeal creatures).

Sudden Stunning, Brutal Surge, various {energy} Surges (+2000 GP each, DMGII). Extremely affordable, and most of these have a number of uses or save DC that's tied to your Charisma, so they scale up as your Charisma increases.

yldenfrei
2011-01-13, 08:02 AM
Torturous (+1 enhancement, Ghostwalk p. 64). On every successful attack, target must make a Fort save DC 12 or is stunned for 1 round. While the save DC is rather low, everyone rolls a 1 eventually, or you can upgrade the enhancement to +2 and the save goes up to DC 17.
I think it got trumped by the Screaming + Stunning [Synergy] combo of MIC. For the same +2 cost, you get 1d4 sonic damage + DC 17 stun for 1 round.

Sudden Stunning, Brutal Surge, various {energy} Surges (+2000 GP each, DMGII). Extremely affordable, and most of these have a number of uses or save DC that's tied to your Charisma, so they scale up as your Charisma increases.
Sadly, all mentioned are +1 enhancement cost on MIC. Plus, Brutal Surge and Energy Surge are now both [Synergy], so they effectively cost +2.

Runestar
2011-01-13, 08:41 AM
Wrathful Healing (+3 enhancement, Enemies & Allies p. 20). Probably the most obscure enhancement. Wielder is healed 50% of all damage the weapon deals.

Hardly obscure, it is one of the must have weapon properties for a frenzied berserker, assuming you can get your DM to allow it. :smallamused:

Addi
2011-01-13, 09:04 AM
Add this to a Variable shield and you can ride around on a colossal-sized tower shield as a magic carpet.

Is it possible to put a Weapon Enhancement on a shield? If it's not - use shield spikes.

Darrin
2011-01-13, 09:05 AM
I think it got trumped by the Screaming + Stunning [Synergy] combo of MIC. For the same +2 cost, you get 1d4 sonic damage + DC 17 stun for 1 round.

Stunning [Synergy] triggers on a critical, Torturous triggers on any successful hit.

Sadly, all mentioned are +1 enhancement cost on MIC. Plus, Brutal Surge and Energy Surge are now both [Synergy], so they effectively cost +2.

Hmm, didn't notice that before. However, not all of these enhancements were updated in the MIC. Brutal Surge and Defensive Surge are now +1 enhancements, and Holy/Unholy Surge are now [Synergy], but Caustic Surge, Flaming Surge, Icy Surge, and Lightning Surge do not appear in the MIC. Energy Surge [Synergy] may have been intended to replace them, but unless the name is the same or the text mentions the previous version, by RAW it's considered a new ability. Likewise, Stunning Surge (MIC) and Sudden Stunning (DMGII) have different names (probably a typo the writer/editor didn't notice), and thus are considered separate abilities.

Is it possible to put a Weapon Enhancement on a shield? If it's not - use shield spikes.

Yes. It's considered a martial bludgeoning weapon even without the spikes. It has to be enchanted separately as a weapon (the +1 enhancement bonus as a shield doesn't count towards weapon enhancements). You can either add spikes for piercing or razors for slashing (FR Underdark).

Thurbane
2011-01-13, 02:23 PM
Likewise, Stunning Surge (MIC) and Sudden Stunning (DMGII) have different names (probably a typo the writer/editor didn't notice), and thus are considered separate abilities.
Yeah...I believe that Stunning Surge was meant to be the updated/gimped version of Sudden Stunning, but by RAW, as they have different names, it isn't the case.

Thanks for the info on the other enhancements. Smoking is interesting...

avr
2011-01-13, 05:36 PM
Thanks for the info on the other enhancements. Smoking is interesting...
I wonder if there are any weapons any familiar might use? Never mind actually attacking with them, just tumble into an opponents square.

Interesting thread for Artificers too.

Thurbane
2011-01-13, 05:56 PM
If Smoking gives at will 20% concealment, it's a downright bargain compared to, say, A minor Cloak of Displacement (24000gp).

Greenish
2011-01-13, 09:21 PM
If Smoking gives at will 20% concealment, it's a downright bargain compared to, say, A minor Cloak of Displacement (24000gp).It requires standard action (command) to activate, doesn't work when you're moving, and only covers 5'x5' square regardless of your actual size.

But yeah, it's pretty handy.

DragonKindred
2016-02-19, 07:38 PM
Hardly obscure, it is one of the must have weapon properties for a frenzied berserker, assuming you can get your DM to allow it. :smallamused:

This is also a must have for a Duskblade (assassin, blackguard, cleric, sorcerer or wizard) that knows the 1st level spell Blade of Blood and is always sacrificing the 5 hp for an extra 2d6.