PDA

View Full Version : The most dangerous game

pendell
2011-01-13, 10:49 AM
In 2005, fox-hunting became illegal in Britain. The law also protects mice, mink, and hares.

But .. it doesn't protect humans.

And so the manhunt is born (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/12/AR2011011204703.html)!

The Coakham Hunt began "hunting men for fun," as its Web site boasts, well before fox hunting became illegal. The fact is, if you happen to be on the lookout for something to hunt through today's rapidly urbanizing countryside, Homo sapiens has several advantages over Vulpes vulpes, Britain's common red fox.

Hunting foxes can be a dangerous pastime, and not just for the fox. That's because foxes show so little concern for the welfare of their pursuers: They'll dart across major roads and leap over train tracks, with unwitting members of the pack following doggedly along behind. Sometimes to their doom.

Which is why some 30 years ago the veteran fox hunter and co-founder of the Coakham, Nigel Budd, decided to develop a sport that "would combine all the arts of venery together with a controllable quarry." A human being.

Men, Budd argued, can be instructed to stay away from roads and railway tracks. They also avoid disturbing farmers' livestock. And they can choose to lead the hounds and horsemen on a challenging chase over the highest hedges and the triangular wooden fences known as tiger traps.

But human quarry have some shortcomings, too

I'll just bet they do. Ah, well, I was wondering what to do on a Saturday afternoon. Should I be the predator, or the prey?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Adumbration
2011-01-13, 11:06 AM
And so it begins...

KuReshtin
2011-01-13, 11:48 AM
Great exercise for the runner, though.

Ravens_cry
2011-01-13, 12:10 PM
Ever watch Mantracker? (http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/Mantracker) Same idea, but for television. I don't watch much TV and still less reality television, but this has an innate dramatic appeal that is quite thrilling.

grimbold
2011-01-13, 12:38 PM
you know theres a book about hunting men called this

Erloas
2011-01-13, 12:46 PM
But I thought this:
http://shirtoid.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/12/the-most-dangerous-game.jpg
Was the most dangerous game.

Science Officer
2011-01-13, 12:54 PM
you know theres a book about hunting men called this

I think that's rather why he chose that title...

pendell
2011-01-13, 01:09 PM
I think that's rather why he chose that title...

EGG-ZACTLY.

There is a link to the original short story (http://fiction.eserver.org/short/the_most_dangerous_game.html).

Respectfully,

Brian P.

truemane
2011-01-13, 01:13 PM
One of my favourite short stories.

Great movie too.

Link to the Film. (http://www.criterion.com/films/584-the-most-dangerous-game)

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-13, 01:32 PM
Well, to relive the old ways, they could always hunt Megan Fox, though that might illegal depending on how you interpret the law.

I approve of this idea anyway and if it existed here, I'd definitely volunteer as a 'fox'. Great exercise, both for your brain and your body, and who knows. It might come in handy as well one day... :smalltongue:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-13, 01:34 PM
It sounds more fun than what at first hand appears, there is little risk of death and it certainly sounds entertaining for the ones who are escaping as you survive not through strength but wits.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-13, 02:04 PM
On a scout camp years ago we did this with water guns. The guy we were chasing evaded 13 of us for 9 hours, it's still spoken of by the others who witnessed it, now in the form of a mythological epic.

arguskos
2011-01-13, 02:07 PM
But I thought this:
Agreed. I wanted to post that comic first, but you beat me to the punch.

leakingpen
2011-01-13, 02:09 PM
i would play.

The Vorpal Tribble
2011-01-13, 02:11 PM
You can't hunt mice or hares in Britain? Are they somehow scarce there or something? :smallconfused:

Melayl
2011-01-13, 02:21 PM
Sounds like something fun. It'd be good with paintball guns. I'd play on either side of the barrel. I'm too out of shape to run very well, but it'd still be fun.

Mando Knight
2011-01-13, 02:24 PM
But I thought this:

That's more like the most awesomest game...

Ravens_cry
2011-01-13, 02:45 PM
On a scout camp years ago we did this with water guns. The guy we were chasing evaded 13 of us for 9 hours, it's still spoken of by the others who witnessed it, now in the form of a mythological epic.
In fact, that is how legends start. Myth and legend derive from cultures, and culture are as small or as big as they are. A story like this gets told, and embellished, and retold yet again. The art of Mythopoeia or "myth making" can be intentional, like Tolkien, or it can start from things like this.
This is completely off topic, but impromptu story telling gives me a kind of geeky "ooh!" feeling.

Telonius
2011-01-13, 02:54 PM
This was tried a few years back by Baron von Urwitz, with disappointing results (http://www.theonion.com/articles/maverick-hunters-human-beings-as-prey-plan-not-as,1878/).

Dr.Epic
2011-01-13, 04:27 PM
Sounds fun! I wanna play!

pendell
2011-01-13, 04:35 PM
@Dr. Epic: As hunter, or hunted?

There's no reason you can't, if you can get over to the UK. Their quarry signup sheet (http://www.coakhambloodhounds.com/aquarrypage.htm) is on the web.

I imagine some digging around on their web site will probably find the signup sheet for the hunters as well.

Respectfully,

Brian P.

mangosta71
2011-01-13, 04:37 PM
But I thought this:
Got that shirt for my brother for xmas. Good times.

I assumed that the quote in the OP was from the Onion when I read it. People actually do that? :smallconfused:

pendell
2011-01-13, 05:03 PM
Yes. People actually do it. Dontcha know satire is dead, because there's nothing we can make up that someone isn't really doing?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-13, 05:06 PM
Yes. People actually do it. Dontcha know satire is dead, because there's nothing we can make up that someone isn't really doing?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

Oh, really? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10152741&postcount=6) :smalltongue:

absolmorph
2011-01-13, 06:52 PM
Oh, really? (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showpost.php?p=10152741&postcount=6) :smalltongue:
I'll build the court.
Who wants to get the bears?

Moff Chumley
2011-01-13, 07:24 PM
This was tried a few years back by Baron von Urwitz, with disappointing results (http://www.theonion.com/articles/maverick-hunters-human-beings-as-prey-plan-not-as,1878/).

Man, I need to read more of The Onion... that brings my "Things White People Like" count up to 31, though. :smallfrown:

AshDesert
2011-01-13, 07:28 PM
I'll build the court.

I'd think that learning to ride the bears would be a more prudent first step than building the court, but to each his own.

I think it would be fun to be running, but there are too many rules about where not to go. If you can't fool the bloodhounds by going across hiking trails then that takes some of the fun out of it. I understand the idea that they don't want the quarry to run across railroads and other dangerous places, but they're limiting cleverness a bit with some of the restrictions.

Eruantion
2011-01-13, 07:38 PM
I'd think that learning to ride the bears would be a more prudent first step than building the court, but to each his own.
I think a more prudent step would be to make dynamite that can first be bounced off of tennis rackets.

In 2005, fox-hunting became illegal in Britain. The law also protects mice, mink, and hares.

But .. it doesn't protect humans.

And so the manhunt is born (http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2011/01/12/AR2011011204703.html)!

I'll just bet they do. Ah, well, I was wondering what to do on a Saturday afternoon. Should I be the predator, or the prey?

Respectfully,

Brian P.

I think that being prey would prove more of a rush in trying to avoid being captured. But as a hunter, outsmarting human quarry may prove a more mental exercise, and a completely different kind of rush. I'd go with whatever would excite you more.

Icewalker
2011-01-13, 07:44 PM
Looks like I was long beaten to posting the SMBC!

But, seriously, this is awesome. I am interested. Conveniently enough, I am actually called Fox by a few people. :smallbiggrin: I would definitely do this. As both roles. Perhaps I shall someday. Just my kind of game.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-13, 08:11 PM
@Dr. Epic: As hunter, or hunted?

Either. Or both at the same time. I'll hunt myself!

Traab
2011-01-13, 09:06 PM
Id be willing to give it a shot, but since by nature humans would be easier to track than a fox, id want the challenge increased by doing away with the bloodhounds. It is virtually impossible to truly lose them. Unless the river is a rampaging whitewater, your scent actually stays on the surface for a fairly significant length of time, so going up or downstream really doesnt help much. Unless you can hop from tree to tree like tarzan for several city blocks straight, they will just do ever widening circles until they find your scent again. So leaving the ground doesnt work that well. Even using top of the line scent blocking clothes, spray and other type things that hunter use to help them shoot deer and whatnot doesnt do it. Their noses are just that frigging good.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-14, 03:52 AM
I'll build the court.

I can do that, we got loads of 'em up north and they're eating all our elks! :smallmad:

I think it would be fun to be running, but there are too many rules about where not to go. If you can't fool the bloodhounds by going across hiking trails then that takes some of the fun out of it. I understand the idea that they don't want the quarry to run across railroads and other dangerous places, but they're limiting cleverness a bit with some of the restrictions.

Yea, you really should try this here in Sweden, here you are by law allowed to run pretty much anywhere, as long as you don't destroy crops or travel onto lands that are fenced.

Id be willing to give it a shot, but since by nature humans would be easier to track than a fox, id want the challenge increased by doing away with the bloodhounds. It is virtually impossible to truly lose them. Unless the river is a rampaging whitewater, your scent actually stays on the surface for a fairly significant length of time, so going up or downstream really doesnt help much. Unless you can hop from tree to tree like tarzan for several city blocks straight, they will just do ever widening circles until they find your scent again. So leaving the ground doesnt work that well. Even using top of the line scent blocking clothes, spray and other type things that hunter use to help them shoot deer and whatnot doesnt do it. Their noses are just that frigging good.

The text seems to imply that it's actually easier for a dog to smell a fox, that's why they use bloodhounds. The fox is probably a better runner though. Anyway, I don't think that the idea is to outrun the dogs completely, but to see for how long you can fool them, which sounds to me a lot more fun for both parties. This means that you as a prey always have to keep moving, and as a hunter you get the thrill of a long hunt and the satisfaction of catching up with the prey.

Rowsen
2011-01-14, 05:38 AM
All I'm getting from this thread is that we need to organise a Bearback Dynamite Tennis League.

Asta Kask
2011-01-14, 05:42 AM
All I'm getting from this thread is that we need to organise a Bearback Dynamite Tennis League.

They should hunt women. After all, "the female of the species is more dangerous than the male."

Eldan
2011-01-14, 05:57 AM
That's sexist. We should hunt children while letting the mothers watch. :smalltongue:

Traab
2011-01-14, 08:10 AM
I can do that, we got loads of 'em up north and they're eating all our elks! :smallmad:

Yea, you really should try this here in Sweden, here you are by law allowed to run pretty much anywhere, as long as you don't destroy crops or travel onto lands that are fenced.

The text seems to imply that it's actually easier for a dog to smell a fox, that's why they use bloodhounds. The fox is probably a better runner though. Anyway, I don't think that the idea is to outrun the dogs completely, but to see for how long you can fool them, which sounds to me a lot more fun for both parties. This means that you as a prey always have to keep moving, and as a hunter you get the thrill of a long hunt and the satisfaction of catching up with the prey.

My actual intent was to point out that a human is far more likely to leave traces that another person could track than a fox would. I doubt you would be able to find many fox footprints for example. But the thing with bloodhounds is, you really CANT fool them. I watched them try through two seperate episodes of mythbusters. They tried pepper, coffee, perfume, clothes changing, running up stream, regular scent blockers, dropping down stuff like herring to try and overwhelm the scent and make the dog more interested in eating, even an obscene level of scent blocking, they basically bathed him in it and put him in a sealed hazmat suit and the damn dog STILL was able to track him down! I think the best option was the herring which distracted the dog for all of 10 seconds before the handler made him stop eating and get back to work. Bloodhounds are the godmode code for tracking.

leakingpen
2011-01-14, 11:46 AM
Sounds like something fun. It'd be good with paintball guns. I'd play on either side of the barrel. I'm too out of shape to run very well, but it'd still be fun.

I'd prefer airsoft, but then, I'm into the mil sim aspect of airsoft as opposed to paintball.

Melayl
2011-01-14, 09:38 PM
I'd prefer airsoft, but then, I'm into the mil sim aspect of airsoft as opposed to paintball.

I've never gotten to play airsoft. I'd be interested in trying. Do they leave color tags like paintballs do, or do you check for bruises afterwards to tell if you hit someone?

akragster
2011-01-14, 10:01 PM
I've never gotten to play airsoft. I'd be interested in trying. Do they leave color tags like paintballs do, or do you check for bruises afterwards to tell if you hit someone? From what I can tell, it is all on the honor system. If you get hit, you assume a pose that tells people you are hit.

However, I still have yet to actually PLAY airsoft...