PDA

View Full Version : Adult Forums?

Kansaschaser
2011-01-13, 01:28 PM
I noticed there are children forums, but are there adult forums?

I want to do a post on "Fantasy Appropriate Cursing". As in what curse words are appropriate for a midevil to renissance era fantasy? I just don't want to get a bunch of people in trouble for trying to type curse words and/or getting around the curse word filter.

arguskos
2011-01-13, 01:29 PM

I want to do a post on "Fantasy Appropriate Cursing". As in what curse words are appropriate for a midevil to renissance era fantasy? I just don't want to get a bunch of people in trouble for trying to type curse words and/or getting around the curse word filter.
There are neither, actually. "Children Forums" are actually subforums, like how Finding Players has Out-of-Character as a subforum. It's forum slang, nothing else. :smallwink:

At least, that's how it was explained to me.

Mystic Muse
2011-01-13, 01:30 PM

No there are not, and there probably never will be. Rich and the mods want everything around here to be PG-13 at most and I suspect they'd prefer PG.

If you start this topic, a lot of people will indeed get in trouble.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-13, 01:32 PM
If there is neither, then how do I find out what the Playgrounders think is appropriate cursing for Dungeons and Dragons without getting people in trouble? Is there an acceptable alternative for all thoes 4-letter words that give movies the rating of R?

Mystic Muse
2011-01-13, 01:33 PM
If there is neither, then how do I find out what the Playgrounders think is appropriate cursing for Dungeons and Dragons without getting people in trouble? Is there an acceptable alternative for all thoes 4-letter words that give movies the rating of R?

Simple answer, you don't. That isn't a topic the mods will want to have and it will be locked quickly.

Ask your friends if you really need the info, or ask on another forum with less strict rules.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-13, 01:34 PM
Go to another forum, or possibly start an email conversation. Can't do it here though.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-13, 01:36 PM
Go to another forum, or possibly start an email conversation. Can't do it here though.

The problem is that most other forums like the Wizards of the Coast forums have the same rules about cusing.

My friends got into an argument about what curse words were usable in Dungeons and Dragons and I need a gamers view on what's acceptable.

I guess the arguments will continue. :smallsigh:

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-13, 01:52 PM
Or you could try to ask for literary references to the vocabulary employed on the time period you are using.

The Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue comes to mind.

There is also a blog post titled Plain English: Cussing just isn't what it used to be which studies the evolution of the topic at hand.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-13, 01:57 PM
The problem is that most other forums like the Wizards of the Coast forums have the same rules about cusing.

My friends got into an argument about what curse words were usable in Dungeons and Dragons and I need a gamers view on what's acceptable.

Check the rules on brilliantgameologists.com, I think they are a bit more relaxed when it comes to discussing such things, though I'm not sure.

AtomicKitKat
2011-01-13, 01:57 PM
The classic: "Son of a jackal-eating vulture." comes to mind. Or do the Captain Haddock route: "Blue Blistering Barnacles!"

Admittedly, more likely to be hilarious than authentic. But then, you don't want to be upsetting your players in real life just because something you swore about happened to coincide with their real-life experiences.

Kobold-Bard
2011-01-13, 01:58 PM
All D&D curses should be over the top and descriptive.

"VECNA'S TESTICLES!" being my preferred example.

More helpfully: it depends on what the people at your table accept. When I went to a gaming society it was people I didn't know so I kept swearing out of it (or used the above mentioned example). When it's my ex and her housemate I'll swear as much as I would in usual conversation (which is a lot, I need to work on that) because it doesn't bother them.

snoopy13a
2011-01-13, 02:29 PM
I believe that many profanties are "old-school" so I'd think that the classic four-letter words would be acceptable as long as the players are fine with the language.

leakingpen
2011-01-13, 02:32 PM
{Scrubbed}

As for medeival swearing, I'd suggest hunting down some SCA forums.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-13, 02:45 PM
{Scrub the post, scrub the quote}

As for medeival swearing, I'd suggest hunting down some SCA forums.

Haha, I almost joined the Society for Crative Anacroynysm. No, I think I'll steer clear of their forums if there is one. I don't want to be tempted into spending $300 on an authentic shield and $450 for a breastplate again.

Or you could try to ask for literary references to the vocabulary employed on the time period you are using.

The Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue comes to mind.

There is also a blog post titled Plain English: Cussing just isn't what it used to be which studies the evolution of the topic at hand.

I might try to find the "Dictionary of the Vulgar Tongue" when I get home. Do you know if they have curse words by era?

Sipex
2011-01-13, 02:52 PM

Go to the Penny Arcade roleplaying forums, they're my go-to for less rules barred conversations.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-13, 02:53 PM
Go to the Penny Arcade roleplaying forums, they're my go-to for less rules barred conversations.

Oh! I read Penny Arcade and I didn't even know they had a forum. Thanks Sipex! :smallsmile:

grimbold
2011-01-13, 03:20 PM
No there are not, and there probably never will be. Rich and the mods want everything around here to be PG-13 at most and I suspect they'd prefer PG.

If you start this topic, a lot of people will indeed get in trouble.

indeed they do
if you wanted to start this topic you might want to use words like "blast" or "hellfire" and explicitly state that you want non-R language

Cyrion
2011-01-13, 03:34 PM
This reference on medieval curse words (http://sceopellen.wordpress.com/2008/11/05/old-english-swear-words/) points to the fact that many of our scatalogical references and curses tody weren't nearly as objectionable "back then" and that cursing tended to have a religious emphasis.

If you're looking for a resource for something more creative, it's hard to beat Shakespeare. (http://www.insults.net/html/shakespeare/)

averagejoe
2011-01-13, 03:35 PM
The Mod They Call Me: I would like to remind everyone that circumventing the board filters by any means, including abbreviations such as, "wtf," using pictures with the words on them, replacing letters with nonletter characters, and so on, is against the forum rules.

Also, this thread probably belongs in site issues.

arguskos
2011-01-13, 03:36 PM
The Mod They Call Me: I would like to remind everyone that circumventing the board filters by any means, including abbreviations such as, "wtf," using pictures with the words on them, replacing letters with nonletter characters, and so on.

Also, this thread probably belongs in site issues.
Your first sentence is unfinished, since I assume you meant to end that thought. Just an idea there. :smallwink:

averagejoe
2011-01-13, 03:37 PM
Your first sentence is unfinished, since I assume you meant to end that thought. Just an idea there. :smallwink:

Yup, your post ninja'ed my edit.

happyturtle
2011-01-13, 03:40 PM
Personally, for gaming use, I like 'Nine Hells!', '<Deity's> <body part>' and the ever classic 'BOOP!'

rayne_dragon
2011-01-13, 03:41 PM
"VECNA'S TESTICLES!" being my preferred example.

That sounds like the worst idea for an artifact ever.
"That's not the Eye of Vecna you just shoved in your face..."

super dark33
2011-01-13, 03:42 PM
you should close this thread, no point keeping it up

arguskos
2011-01-13, 03:44 PM
Yup, your post ninja'ed my edit.
Sometimes, I'm too good for words. Other times, I'm less so. Guess what time this is? Hint: I'm using words. :P

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-13, 03:53 PM
Sheriff: The correct answer would be "you don't discuss that here."