PDA

View Full Version : Quick question: A synonym for Deal Breaker?

Sipex
2011-01-13, 03:11 PM
Does anyone know a synonym for deal breaker? I have a friend looking for something more official (it's for a dissertation) but I'm drawing a blank and the internet isn't helping really.

snoopy13a
2011-01-13, 03:19 PM
Usually a "deal breaker" means a provision of a contract proposal that is unacceptable to the other side.

Now, if you mean breaking a valid contract, the proper term is "breach".

Sipex
2011-01-13, 03:22 PM
No, I think he definitely means 'deal breaker' but he says it's technically slang and it would cost him if he used it.

mucat
2011-01-13, 04:40 PM
If he means deal breaker in the sense of "They want me to sign over the copyright? No; that's a deal breaker," then he might call it "an unacceptable term", "a provision that (person) could never agree to," or simply "an impasse." Most of these are more wordy than "deal breaker," of course, but that's why we usually use the shorter term.

Can you give the exact context? Wording that sounds natural in one context can sound extremely clunky in another.

Sipex
2011-01-13, 04:48 PM
I don't know the exact context unfortunately. I was simply told (via text) that he needs a synonym for deal breaker.

I can probably find out though, I'll post back later.

Thanks for the examples though, they'll definitely help.

Keld Denar
2011-01-13, 05:27 PM
Deal Breaker in the relationship sense generally means a trait about another person you couldn't look past in order to have a relationship with them.

Example: S.O. was so cute, and we got along really great, but her religious views are a total deal breaker. She's an Orthodox Banjoist, and I practice more contemporary views. It'll never work between us.

Sadly, I can't think of a more "official" term either.

Mordar
2011-01-13, 05:35 PM
Try:

Irreconcilable difference/issue/impasse

or:

Untenable request/offer/clause

Good luck!

ReynardCity
2011-01-13, 05:41 PM
Possible official terms-

1. Personal irritations

2. Use quotation marks ie "what is informally referred to as a 'deal breaker'"

3. Key personal difference

4. Insurmountable difference

5. Personality clashes

6. Minor issues

Keld Denar
2011-01-13, 06:13 PM
Oh, in Hollywood, they use the term "irreconcilable differences" when filing for divorce. Seems the catchall expression for "that chick/dude be CRAZY".

Capt Spanner
2011-01-13, 11:49 PM
"Unacceptable stipulation" maybe?

Moonshadow
2011-01-14, 02:37 AM
Tell them that you're disinclined to acquiesce to their request :smalltongue:

rakkoon
2011-01-14, 02:47 AM
A heck-no-way-have-you-totally-lost-it situation?

Form
2011-01-14, 09:26 AM
If it's for a dissertation I'd just go for something a little wordier that means the same thing rather than trying to find a synonym. I doubt anyone would care if that one sentence is a few words longer as long as it is still well written.

Sipex
2011-01-14, 09:46 AM
Thanks guys! He went for something wordier after all. I'm unsure what exactly he used but he just said he ended up re-writing a few sentances to fit it in properly.

Roland St. Jude
2011-01-14, 10:45 PM
Was it "fuggitaboutit"?

Quandary
2013-01-18, 09:14 PM
I came upon this trying to remember a word, and while this did not help me and it is far past due to help the original poster, it may be significant for anyone with a similar problem. The synonym was "ultimatum".

nedz
2013-01-18, 10:43 PM
Normally I would just use a Thesaurus — but I couldn't find "Deal Breaker" in any of them ?

Aedilred
2013-01-18, 11:55 PM
If you reverse the perspective, you could go with sine qua non - that is, a condition that one party considers absolutely essential. In terms of something that alone eliminates the possibility of agreement, though, you're best with something like the options suggested above.

Anarion
2013-01-19, 06:18 PM
Having read a great deal of academic writing at this point in my life, I'm actually pretty sure that deal breaker is perfectly fine to use even in a dissertation. And I'd personally go with "deal breaker" in quotes (to show it's colloquial) rather than some really wordy expression.

Seriously, imagine your reaction to reading a paper that said "deal breaker" compared to one that said "the term that ensured the particular arrangement in question was untenable."

Edit: @below poster. Doh! This is why checking post dates is a good idea.

factotum
2013-01-20, 03:12 AM
You know, I can't help but feel that the original poster already sorted his problem more than two years ago when this thread was first posted... :smallwink:

Crow
2013-01-22, 12:49 AM
Untenable circumstance.

pbateman102
2014-06-20, 08:57 PM
Does anyone know a synonym for deal breaker? I have a friend looking for something more official (it's for a dissertation) but I'm drawing a blank and the internet isn't helping really.

I know this is a message from the future, but 'deal breaker' used in it's more frequent, slang verbage simply means unacceptable. And synonyms for 'unacceptable' according to a google search are: intolerable, insufferable, unsatisfactory, inadmissible, inappropriate, unsuitable, undesirable, unreasonable, insupportable; offensive, obnoxious, disagreeable, disgraceful, deplorable, beyond the pale, bad; a bit much, too much, not on. Found this thread while facing down this uncertainty myself.