PDA

View Full Version : Arcane channeling question

amaranth69
2011-01-13, 03:48 PM
I am currently playing a duskblade in our 3.5 campaign and just got a spell storing weapon. Is it legal to channel a spell and release a stored spell in the same hit? Thanks

Gamer Girl
2011-01-13, 03:51 PM
Yes.

To release the spell in the stored weapon is a free action, so you can do any other actions with it.

Gnome Alone
2011-01-13, 04:44 PM
Not particularly related, but seems like a good place to ask - does anyone know if you can arcane channel through two weapons at the same time? Like, does it make sense to switch to TWF at 13th level when you get full attack channeling?

Psyren
2011-01-13, 05:13 PM
Not particularly related, but seems like a good place to ask - does anyone know if you can arcane channel through two weapons at the same time? Like, does it make sense to switch to TWF at 13th level when you get full attack channeling?

You still get one spell per target even with full attack channeling. If there's a way to hit more targets while TWFing as opposed to using one weapon, then it will make a difference there, but more attacks on the same target won't let you channel more spells (or the same spell multiple times.)

CockroachTeaParty
2011-01-13, 05:30 PM
You still get one spell per target even with full attack channeling. If there's a way to hit more targets while TWFing as opposed to using one weapon, then it will make a difference there, but more attacks on the same target won't let you channel more spells (or the same spell multiple times.)

Man, that makes full attack channeling much less useful. I guess Duskblade really is the poor man's/lazy gish.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-13, 05:33 PM
Man, that makes full attack channeling much less useful. I guess Duskblade really is the poor man's/lazy gish.

Of course. The rich man's gish is a Cleric. :smallamused:

DeltaEmil
2011-01-13, 05:36 PM
Ouch, that was just mean, MammonAzrael :smalltongue:

Psyren
2011-01-13, 05:48 PM
The true poor man's gish is a VoP Druid :smallwink:

dextercorvia
2011-01-13, 06:19 PM

That is one of the reasons that the Duskblade guide recommends Whip. Size increases are good, too.

Thurbane
2011-01-13, 06:32 PM
It would cost precious Duskblade/caster levels (maybe better in gestalt), but a dip into Binder to get Paimon would be cool for full attack channeling. Dance of Death allows you to get an attack on every creature you move past in a move action. Combine with Swift Expeditious Retreat (or similar) and other move boosters, could get quite nasty.

MammonAzrael
2011-01-13, 07:22 PM
Ouch, that was just mean, MammonAzrael :smalltongue:

:smallbiggrin: True though.

And good call on the druid. :smallamused:

Dr Bwaa
2011-01-13, 07:39 PM

Bear in mind that you can channel touch spells-not just violent ones. Once you get full-attack channeling, you become an awesome party-buff machine with your touch-range buffs that suddenly affect everyone in the party--no metamagic required! (Of course you do have to be standing next to all your allies, but that's not that hard).

Thurbane
2011-01-13, 07:54 PM
It would cost precious Duskblade/caster levels (maybe better in gestalt), but a dip into Binder to get Paimon would be cool for full attack channeling. Dance of Death allows you to get an attack on every creature you move past in a move action. Combine with Swift Expeditious Retreat (or similar) and other move boosters, could get quite nasty.
Actually, now I think about it, I don't think this would work...DoD isn't a Full Attack action, so the Channeling would probably only affect the first target.

dextercorvia
2011-01-13, 10:42 PM
Actually, now I think about it, I don't think this would work...DoD isn't a Full Attack action, so the Channeling would probably only affect the first target.

It does work, but you need a way to get an extra move action... Say maybe a Belt of Battle.

Full Attack/Channel, then Move attacking everything you pass.

I'm AFB, but I don't think Dance of Death requires any action.

Psyren
2011-01-14, 01:48 PM
I'm AFB, but I don't think Dance of Death requires any action.

When an action is not otherwise stated for a Binder ability (as is the case here,) it defaults to a standard action. (ToM pg. 19)

This is normally a good thing - i.e. you can move, then DoD, moving more while attacking - but its interaction with Duskblade may be less than ideal.