PDA

View Full Version : Glory of Galadorn (IC)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4

Vladislav
2011-01-13, 03:54 PM
This is the IC thread. OOC thread is here. (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183321)

The 19th day of summer was an exceptionally nice day in Plessie. Warm, but not hot, not a cloud in the sky, with a smell of orchids carried in the gentle breeze.

Silas, Daniel and Bortan
The three of you were assigned for the day to Lord Tomlin, the commander of the king's personal bodyguards. Tomlin is short and stocky, as customary for a dwarf, and his beard is well-trimmed to fit into his full-face battle helmet. At present, he sees you in his office, donned in full armor, but helmet resting on the desk beside him. He's is considered a strict, but fair commander, and despite not being a native of Galadorn (his roots are far to the north of Cloudpeak mountains, so you heard), is fiercely loyal to the royal family.

He explains to you that your help is needed in securing the perimeter of the hunting grounds. A "distinguished member of the royal family" is to go on a hunt today, and they don't want any interferences. As usual in such circumstances, small groups will patrol the perimeter, keeping an open eye for any breach. The three of you are one such group. Any peasants stupid enough to stray into the area are to be roughed up a bit and sent back. Anything more sinister than a random stray peasant is to be met with great suspicion, and if necessary, with lethal force. He points out on the map where your patrol is to start.

He leans back in his armchair and looks each of you in the eye. Any questions? All set? If so, run off to the stables, they'll issue horses for you. Report back at sundown.

Godrick and Simon,
You are to take the evening watch today, and during the day have been given a few hours off, which you intend to spend in the nearest village, in the One Eared Goblin tavern, whether because you heard the ale there is strong and the whenches are agreeable (Simon), or because you find it a quiet place to relax (Godrick). You are about to leave the palace, when a fat man comes running breathless behind you and ... <we'll be back with you shortly>

Dots,
Torrance, the fat hospitality chief, wants you to run an errand to the nearest village. All his men are busy, and you're his only hope. You are to go to the One Eared Goblin tavern, and get three barrels of their special ale that they have set aside for the palace. They have already been paid for. To haul those barrels, he provides you with a hand-drawn cart, but not sooner than you take one step you discover that it's missing a wheel. There's no other cart to be found, nor replacement wheel, and Torrance is close to panicking. He needs that ale for tonight! Suddenly, he notices two soldiers walking by in the corridor, on their way out of the castle. Gentlemen! He runs after the two. Going to the village on leave, are you not? To have a drink, perchance? <as promised, we're back with Godrick and Simon>. Excellent! My man Dots here will need some help on the way back. So you enjoy your drinks, but don't forget to give Dots a hand on the way back, right?

GAME ON.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-13, 05:21 PM
Dots

By the time the soldiers are done listening to Torrance, the tiny little man known as "Dots" is crouching by the broken cart, humming a single note to himself while he stares intently at where a wheel should be.

"Dots" is dressed in what appears to be his only outfit: torn-up, dirty, yellowed rags. His clothes are nowhere near the filthiest part of him, though. The castle's "servant" is dotted with dirt and mud all over, and his smell acts the part. A round head and beady eyes all also add up to give him a rather simiesque appearance, although looking closer you might see a complexity usually not found in apes...

Dots doesn't seem like he's listening anymore. And he doesn't exactly acknowledge the presence of the soldiers...

--Lime--
2011-01-13, 07:18 PM
Bortan's hulking figure overshadows the two comrades in front of him, especially the dwarf as they stand before their Lord. Having been told to report to duty ready, the half-orc has brought all he will need with him. His mind turns to the darkness of the evening on this bright, sunny day, and the words wash over him to a fair degree.

"Another routine patrol," he thinks, "...might see some action, but I can't imagine so."

The route on the map is also familiar to Bortan - it's the perimeter of the hunting grounds. Despite his short stay in the garrison, he's never heard of anyone on guard duty having an eventful time of it. Instead, his thoughts turn to the night, and he begins wondering how to wangle an hour or two in town. It's so hard staying off the killing, but perhaps one won't hurt, if it means he isn't driven to take two lives tomorrow... right?

Bortan catches himself just in time. It's not good to think like this... but then again, he is glad he brought his crowbar in case there is some nightly fun. For now, he answers "Sir, yes sir!" in the space provided by his commander, and waits for the others to head across to the stables with him.

abadguy
2011-01-13, 11:33 PM
Silas groaned inwardly. Why the hell do they have to pair me up with the half orc. Clanking all over the place and talking in that booming voice. Bet my nephews can hear him all the way from the Wildlands.

He stood up straight, saluted and said, "Lord Tomlin sir, are we expecting any trouble? Some news of trouble brewing amongst the peasantry perhaps?"

2xMachina
2011-01-14, 03:47 AM
Godrick

Although he is off duty at the moment, he has not removed his equipment. He is planning to go straight to the watch location, rather than having to make a visit to his room later. He is, however, planning to remove some of the more uncomfortable equipment when he reaches the tavern.

When he heard the sound of running feet, he turned around to see a breathless man who later asked Simon and him to help Dots.

In reply to his request, Godrick replied, "Ok, but what help does he need? Finding a carpenter on the way back?"

Vladislav
2011-01-14, 10:41 AM
Tomlin looks Silas in the eye, then barks, What you take me for, boy? If there was any specific warning, I'd tell you, not send you there blindly. But, you know what, he leans forward, lowering his voice to almost a conspiratory whisper, let me tell you as dwarf to dwarf, stay sharp. Those Toldur spies are everywhere, and they look for an opening all the time. If you slack on the job, they take note, believe me. They may not attack at once, but they will take note of a slacker.

Now, if you're all set, off you go.

Torrance scratches his bald spot intently. I was thinking more in the direction of you helping Dots carry the ale back here ... he's to get three barrels of ale for us, but if you want to help him with a carpenter, that could work too. He nods in the direction of the little man crouched by the cart and rolls his eyes. Not really a people person, you see. Will need all the help he can get. And I gotta have that ale by tonight.

2xMachina
2011-01-14, 12:10 PM
Godrick

Joining Torrance in looking at Dots, he comments, He does seem to be rather distracted...

Anyway, I suppose there is some allocation to pay for the repairs? I'd rather do some hauling rather than pay for a cart wheel. That is, if those ale barrel isn't too heavy for us.

Vladislav
2011-01-14, 12:17 PM
Torrance turns his pockets inside out, producing nothing but lint. I don't have any allowance for you right now. Wife makes me bring all my wages home, can you believe it. If you spend your own cash, you can ask for a refund from the treasurer, although I'm not sure how that works. The barrels ... hmm, shouldn't be too heavy. A strong fellow like you can carry one, a weaker man can roll it on the ground.

2xMachina
2011-01-14, 12:33 PM
Godrick

Hmm, I might just prefer hauling it, but I suppose I'm ok with either. What do you think Simon?

I assume our watch location is back in the castle, so we won't have conflicting routes?

Deathslayer7
2011-01-14, 12:55 PM
Daniel

Daniel gives a curt nod, noting the dismissal. He looks at the other two, recognizing them, but not by name. As the walk, he turns to the other two. My name is Daniel. he says holding out his right hand. The most notable feature about him is that his left hand is missing.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-14, 12:58 PM
Dots

Dots continues his "commited observation", oblivious to everything else...

Knowledge (scientific) check on the cart to see what Dots concludes...

[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-01-14, 01:10 PM
I assume our watch location is back in the castle, so we won't have conflicting routes?
True

Dots
Reaches the conslusion the cart can be fixed by a reasonably competent carpenter with a full set of tools and raw materials, for a cost of several sp and an hour of work, and run as good as new. Dots also surmises one of the kitchen pots can be used in lieu of wheel, but the cart will likely wobble, as the improvized wheel might not match the others.

--Lime--
2011-01-14, 01:18 PM
(OOC: Assuming we're done with Tomlin and on our way over to the stables, then... let's keep this moving)

Bortan eyes the missing hand somewhat curiously as he shakes Daniel's intact one. He's wondering how it was lost, but instead, shrugs his eyebrows and lets go.

"Name's Bortan," he says. He doesn't hold out his hand to the third man, not out of malice, but simply because it's not one of his customs, and it doesn't cross his mind. "Either of yous been posted here long? I'm kind of new to this army lark. Only signed up a few weeks ago. Just a couple of uneventful patrols and standing still for hours by the gate on night watch."

Deathslayer7
2011-01-14, 01:25 PM
Daniel

Afraid not. I've only been here a few months, but most of that was spent recovering. I'm just as new as you are, though I do know my ways around the woods. Been hunting in them since I was a little child with my father.

--Lime--
2011-01-14, 01:34 PM
Bortan's ears prick up at this.

"That'll come in handy, then. As I say, I've walked the patrols once or twice before, but if we stray from the path I'll be relying on the map..."

He shuffles the axes on his back.
Great, he thinks, with a tinge of annoyance but no real anger, Teamed me up with a dwarf and a cripple. At least this guy will be able to get his bearings. Wonder what the hairy bugger's bringing to the party? I hope I don't have to play babysitter...

Instead of saying all this aloud - there's a reason he's made it to the age of 27 alive - Bortan settles for:
"How are you two with horses, then?"

Deathslayer7
2011-01-14, 01:39 PM
Daniel

I can manage well enough. You mostly use your feet anyway. Prefer my own two feet though.

Vladislav
2011-01-14, 01:44 PM
Fast forwarding slightly, if anyone wishes to take proactive action, let me know, will retcon

Daniel, Silas and Bortan head for the stables and are equipped with Light Warhorses. And while the former two get good horses, the latter isn't as lucky. The stablemaster apparently has an inferior horse, and is eager to get rid of it, because no one wants it.

Bortan isn't perceptive enough to notice his mount's deficiency, and only when they've signed for the horses and left the castle, he notices his horse is weaker and slower than the others.

Two standard Light Warhorses as per Monster Manual. One Inferior Light Warhorse, -2 Str/Dex/Con, -10' speed, +1 DC of all Ride checks

They reach the perimeter of the hunting grounds, where the patrol is to commence, without further misadventures. The grounds border is marked by a low wooden fence, more of an indicator than an obstacle, as it's only three feet tall.

Commence patrol, and please let me know if you're inside or outside the fence (DC 10 Ride check to jump over, can take 10 when not threatened or stressed)

--Lime--
2011-01-14, 01:51 PM
Bortan has had very little experince with horses - only that given in basic training - and boy, does it show. He doesn't know if it's his larger frame, unfamiliarity with the beast, or the animal itself, but something is not right with his horse. However, fearing that it might be a problem he's causing, Bortan resists asking the others to turn back with him and get a new one - imagine the shame if the stablemaster told Bortan that he already had the best horse! No, best to keep quiet and carry on; after all, he isn't expecting trouble.

As they reach the fence, Bortan speaks:
"Well boyos, I'm going over that fence. My quarrel lies with anyone crossing the boundary, not simply coming near it. Besides, if they run into the forest, it'll be easier to chase them down. If they run away from it, job's a good'un."

And with that, he carefully takes his horse over the fence and keeps level with the others at a steady pace.
Taking 10

Mysterious_A
2011-01-14, 02:59 PM
Dots

Suddenly, Dots gets up. Whatever answer he was looking for, he seems to have gotten it. He doesn't seem very inclined to share it with anyone, though.

"I will go now. Goodbye.", are the only words he spares you as he heads for the One Eared Goblin. Not much of a speaker, eh?

2xMachina
2011-01-14, 03:09 PM
Godrick

Hmm? Either he doesn't need our help, or decided that we shouldn't repair the cart.

I suppose he'll tell us if he needs a hand, eh?

Vladislav
2011-01-14, 03:16 PM
No, he won't, says Torrance. That's the problem. Won't be too surprised if he tries to roll all three barrels himself. You better go with him to the One Eared Goblin and give him a hand regardless of asking. Let me tell you, I could get in a lot of trouble if that ale isn't here by tonight.

2xMachina
2011-01-15, 03:01 AM
Godrick

We're heading there anyway. I'll give him a hand if he looks like he needs help.

Godrick waves as he turns around, and heads to the tavern.

Vladislav
2011-01-15, 05:08 PM
Godrick, Dots and Simon make their way on the gently sloping road to the village, together, yet strangely apart, each man in his own thoughts. To their right, a forest. To their left, a cherry orchard. About half-way, their methodic pacing is interrupted by angry shouts coming from the road ahead.

Immediately, a man comes running from the orchard. He's dirty and his clothes are in disarray. He has blood on his dark face, mixed with a good dose of sweat.

You all immediately recognize the man as a nomadic Dark Elf; your parents most likely told you to stay away from their kind.

Godrick
While dark elves are usually subterranean, some offshoot tribes live above ground; possibly, their ancestors were exiled for some crime. They are known as no-good vagabonds and thieves, and also posess magical powers, especiall in the area of divination. These land-dwelling Drow are reviled by all, including their own kind.

The man runs up to you, exhausted. Please help. They'll kill me. You see several silhoettes running between the orchard trees in your direction.

In what is probably an unrelated event, Silas, Bortan, Daniel,

After a short time, your patrol is interrupted by loud crashing noises. Something large is crashing through trees, probably in your direction. It seems to be coming from inside the hunting ground.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-15, 07:01 PM
Dots

Dots watches the elf's plight with a general disinterest. He stares blankly at him, looking almost as if he weren't listening at all, as if the words said were merely air.

But then he draws his dagger.

"Elf-man.", says Dots, "You stay. Don't worry. We will protect you now."

And just like that, the little man is hiding behind a tree, hoping to ambush the elf's pursuers. He peeks out for just long enough to shout at Godrick and Simon, "...you were sent to help, yes? So, help!", and then he's good to go.

Stealth check: [roll0]

--Lime--
2011-01-15, 08:26 PM
Bortan dismounts his horse, and draws his Orc Double Axe, ready to threaten whatever may come from the trees. He stays about ten feet from the treeline, and keeps moving, not wanting to provide a static target to anything that might be in there. He hopes moving will occasionally put a tree between him and what might be an attacker with a bow.

Listening hard, and scanning the shade of the forest, he tries to work out what the hell is making the noise.

Spot and listen if required:
Spot: [roll0]
Listen: [roll1]
If they're a combined skill check, take Spot.

turbosloth
2011-01-16, 12:32 AM
Simon snaps out of his usual sullen mood at this far more interesting turn of events, and gives the Dark Elf a beaming (and most unpleasant) grin. Clapping a hand on the Elf's shoulder, he says in a confident tone "There there, don't worry, we won't let them kill you", Then draws the Elf closer and presses face against its ear. "After all" He hisses "Why should they get to have all the fun?"

Stepping back and drawing both his blades, Simon adds in a tone loud enough for the others to hear "You're trespassing on the Kings hunting ground. You got ten seconds to give me a good reason not to kill you"

Who knows? He might even have one. If so roughing him up and throwing his arse in jail will have to do. Too many witnesses around here to get away with anything more fun.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-16, 01:11 AM
Daniel

Daniel unsaddles quickly as well. Moving towards Bortan, he tries to hide behind a tree while awaiting what is sure to come. He peeks out to see.

perception: [roll0]
Stealth [roll1]

2xMachina
2011-01-16, 03:56 AM
Godrick

Godrick grabs his spiked chain near the spiked ball, and pulls it out, unwrapping it from his waist. He begins swinging it to give it momentum.

"Let's round them all up to make sure the story tallies."

To the Dark Elf, he says "Please stay in sight."

turbosloth
2011-01-16, 08:21 AM
Simon glances at Godrick and sneers.

"You can round 'em up if you like. Me, I'm going to stay here and take care of this one. He's got about 7 seconds left to start talking before I start slicing and dicing"

Mysterious_A
2011-01-16, 08:55 AM
Dots

At this point Dots starts grumbling. "Agh! Stupid...stupid, stupid soldiers! Clumsy, stupid. Will not help elf-man. Dots may have to kill..."

Dots peeks out of his hiding tree.

Aaand back in.

"...Dots may have to kill -later-..."

Vladislav
2011-01-16, 10:53 PM
Bortan, Daniel, Silas,

tusk tusk hoof, tusk tusk hoof

What makes that noise happens to be a huge wild boar, probably the largest you've every seen, and he's heading your way, crashing though undergrowth and oblivious to all obstacles. You spotted it from about 90' away.

Initiative:
Boar [roll0]
Silas [roll1]
Bortan [roll2]
Daniel [roll3]

Dots, Simon, Godrick,

The dark elf is somewhat encouraged by Dots' promise, somewhat less encouraged by Dots immediately disappearing into the bushes, and even less encouraged by Simon's tone. He looks around helplessly, makes a few panicked movements, but eventually stays put.

Seconds later, half-dozen men appear in sight. They are wielding a variety of improvized weapons, with the one that appears the leader holding a large flail, rivaling Godrick's chain in length and viciousness. He sneers, noticing the drow.

Aha, there you are, you filthy rascal... Soldiers, we have no quarrel with you.

--Lime--
2011-01-16, 11:43 PM
Bortan smiles. The kill; it is here.

Though a better tactical option would be to wait and assess the situation, perhaps even hop back over the fence and let the boar crash into that, he can no longer help himself. He'd tried so hard - so, so hard - to wean himself from the killing, the blood... that macabre passion of watching the fire die in something's eyes. No longer, though, could he resist.

Whirling his double-axe above his head, he lets out an almighty bellow, charging into the forest. Running at an angle, he hopes to draw the boar away from his comrades so that it can be he who strikes the killing blow.

Assuming Daniel is to Bortan's right, Bortan runs towards the boar and left; North-West, 40 ft. Not the best decision to make, but the one most appropriate to my character :)

turbosloth
2011-01-17, 01:49 AM
Simon turns to face the newcomers and makes a mocking bow, stretching his weapons out to either side as he does so. Upon standing, he lowers his axe back to his side, but keeps his sword out at almost full reach, its tip hovering inches from the Drow's neck and ready to strike. "Oh, you've got no quarrel with us, do you? Well that's ok then" He says sarcastically. "How about you tell me who the hell you are and what you're doing here, or I drag all of you back to explain it to my commanding officer?"

Could be messy with this many of them, but if that Godrick fellow is any good we should be able to take them. Helps that I don't think they know the weird little bastard's in the trees behind them, and he struck me as someone with a few surprises up his sleeves...

2xMachina
2011-01-17, 02:15 AM
Godrick

Godrick lets his spinning chain slow down a little while sliding his right hand closer to the spiked ball, so that it spins a smaller circle.

"If you have quarrel with the elf, I would like to remind you that there are legal ways to settle disputes."

Turning slightly to Simon, "And I do hope he stays alive and well to give his side of the story"

turbosloth
2011-01-17, 03:14 AM
Ugh. Heironeous loving goody two-shoes. Should have known he'd be no fun.

"Fine, I leave the elf alive... for now" Simon answers with a sullen glance at Godrick. "How about you lot?" he adds to the newcomers "You gonna do this the easy way, or the fun way? Drop your weapons or die."

abadguy
2011-01-17, 05:29 AM
((Silas is on the inside of the fence, still mounted.))

"Tsk, just another wild boar. I guess it would make good eating." He draws his throwing axe in readiness. In the meanwhile he peers in the other directions in case the boar was simply a ruse.

Perception [roll0]

Mysterious_A
2011-01-17, 08:31 AM
Dots

Dots remains silent, clutching his dagger in anticipation.

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 10:05 AM
Silas
You hear the sounds of a horn or a trumpet from deeper within the forest.

OOC
I'll do the boar's action later today, to give Deathslayer a chance to post, since he should go before the beast.

Simon, Godrick, Dots

Taking a cue from their leader, the men lower their weapons, but do not halt their approach. They don't seem to notice Dots, addressing only the other two humans. The leader gives you an angry glare.

This drow is guilty of witchcraft and attempts to seduce and subvert innocent human females.

He's also a thief, another man adds. Found him roasting a chicken outside the village, obviously stolen.

We're going to hang him, says the leader, right there, on that oak tree. That branch looks particularly long and sturdy, and just the right height. Why waste time on proceedings, he's trash and we all know it. The others smile, apparently finding this idea extremely agreeable.

Please, says the drow, I didn't do anything. It was just a stray chicken.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-17, 10:41 AM
Dots

Dots listens to the man with the flail, an angry expression on his face. From what he saw of the soldiers, it isn't very likely that they'll interfere. And if they don't, but he does, he can't possibly take on them all by himself...

But he -did- tell elf-man he would protect him, and he can't possibly leave him to those men...

Dots shakes his head. He will not leave elf-man. And if anyone attacks elf-man, Dots is ready to attack them back.

Ready action to sneak attack anyone who attacks/grapples/tries to seize the elf.

turbosloth
2011-01-17, 11:53 AM
"Well a hangin sound's like mighty fine fun to me" Simon replies with a grin "But you'll have to check with nancyboy over here" this with a nod to Godrick "'cause somehow I suspect he's not gonna be in for it, and I don't need the hassle if he's gonna make a scene. Plus something tells me you lotta idiots don't have the sense to back down if he says no, and guttin' yer all sounds even better fun than hangin' the Elf. Could always do both, of course" he adds thoughtfully.

2xMachina
2011-01-17, 11:59 AM
Godrick

"A trial is there for a reason. And I'm pretty sure the penalty isn't hanging. If you do kill him, you'll be guilty of murder. And the penalty for that is probably hanging."

Godrick also does not believe they will back down easily. "If you leave this to the authorities, it'll be better for all. We will defend ourselves."

He lowers the spiked ball, but spins it faster, hoping to sweep them off their feet if they attack.

Ready action to trip when they take a hostile action

turbosloth
2011-01-17, 12:15 PM
Simon tosses his handaxe in the air, catches it just below the blade, and presents it to the Dark Elf handle first "If we're going to be risking our necks for your worthless hide, don't even think about assuming you're getting off without helping" he snarls in Elvish.

If the elf takes the axe
Simon draws a dagger from his boot with his now empty off hand, and readies himself for combat (readied action to attack if charged)

If the elf doesn't take the axe
Simon curses under his breath and swings at the Elf's face with the handle of his handaxe before flipping it back the right way around ready to face the soldiers[roll0] to hit (dealing non-lethal damage) -[roll1]

2xMachina
2011-01-17, 12:23 PM
Godrick

Godrick sighs. He thinks to himself, Not much use there, since I doubt the elf knows how to use that. But if he did that to start a fight, that probably did it.

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 01:25 PM
The drow is surprised by the sudden gesture of trust, but he does take the axe, and gets ready to defend himself. For the six men, this seems to be the straw that breaks the beast's back. Their leader screams something about drunken soldiers who should know better than fight a losing battle for a filthy drow, and they attack.

The leader and another man, armed with a club, attack Godrick, two men, armed with pitchforks, engage Simon, and finally, two more, wielding an axe and a club, charge at the drow. Whoever had a readied action, can perform it now.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-17, 01:40 PM
Dots

Seeing a fight go down, Dots is surprised to see the two soldiers joining the elf's side. Pleasantly surprised.

The little man comes out of his hiding spot, and launches himself towards the elf's attackers, his dagger aimed at just the right spot...

Sneak Attack! (I don't know if I'll need a move action first to get to my target, the man with the axe. If I do, then it's move action, maybe setting up a flank for the elf, and then sneak attack).

Attack: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

Sneak Attack damage: [roll2]

2xMachina
2011-01-17, 01:54 PM
Godrick

Targeting Leader
Trip (melee touch attack): [roll0]
Improved Trip hit: [roll1] for [roll2]

If any other target moved in my 10' threaten zone, they trigger an AoO.
Prefer the ones attacking the elf, or else, those attacking me.
EDIT: Seeing as Dots attacked someone, I'll leave that target be.
Trip (melee touch attack): [roll3]
Improved Trip hit: [roll4] for [roll5]

Trip (melee touch attack): [roll6]
Improved Trip hit: [roll7] for [roll8]

Godrick swings his spiked chain to the legs of the leader, trying to hit his legs and cause the spiked ball to wrap around, and perhaps give him a wound. Pulling it back, hopefully, tripping him, he swings at others who carelessly move in his reach.

"Try to stay alive, elf"

2xMachina
2011-01-17, 02:02 PM
Missed the Str check to confirm trip.
1:[roll0]
2:[roll1]
3:[roll2]

See: http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?p=10180030#post10180030

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 02:08 PM
Dots wedges the dagger between the attacker's ribs, and he goes down before he can understand what happened. The other
man reaches the drow, and they exchage blows. The drow seems to have a lot of fight in him, and works hard to fend off
his attacker. Both land blows on each other, drawing blood.

Swinging his chain in a wide arc, Godrick attempts to trip the leader and the other man attacking him, as the others maneuver themselves around the reach of the chain. He wraps the chain around their legs and yanks as hard as he can, but they are tough ones, and resist.

leader's opposed roll [roll0] <--- lost
Other man's opposed roll [roll1] <--- won

If either wins, they get a counter-trip attempt.

[roll2] vs. [roll3] <--- irrelevant
[roll4] vs. [roll5] <--- lost

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 02:10 PM
The leader is down on the ground, but rolls away at the last moment from Godrick's attempt to smash his head with his spiked chain. The other man stands his ground, and barely remains on his feet.

Let's see what Simon does before proceeding

Deathslayer7
2011-01-17, 02:32 PM
Daniel

Bortan! Stop you idiot! Do you want to get gored!? Daniel shouts after the man as he goes closer to the boar. Daniel will cross the wall at some point and move towards Bortan.

Double move to him.

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 04:02 PM
In the forest

The boar notices Bortan (not an overly difficult task, as the half-orc wasn't taking much effort to hide, to say the least), and charges him. As he does so, he passes within an axe-throw of Silas. A bit too far for a good throw, but still...

Silas' readied action, with range penalties [roll0],damage [roll1]

Then, the boar crashes into Bortan ...

[roll2] damage [roll3]

The huge tusks leave a dent on the armor, but the metal holds.

New round starts. Bortan is adjacent to the boar, Daniel is 10' away, and Silas is 40' away.

--Lime--
2011-01-17, 05:14 PM
Bortan is buffeted by the boar, but his bulk stays upright. Recovering quickly, he brings his raised double axe down at the animal, and swings a slash back up so it returns to above his head.

Bortan: full attack with orc double axe
ATTACK 1:
To hit: [roll0]
Dmg: [roll1] EDIT: Actually 9
ATTACK 2:
To hit: [roll2]
Dmg: [roll3] EDIT: Actually 4

He does not seem to hear his allies' shouts. All to him is red, and soon to be dripping red, awash in the red water.

turbosloth
2011-01-17, 10:23 PM
Heh, that went about as well as planned. At least I'll get to kill someone today

Simon's face takes on a look of calm, almost casual concentration as he swings his sword in a wide arc at the head of the first man to reach him, holding his dagger back to attempt to parry the second. He fights eerily silently and with great detachment for one who seemed to relish the idea of a fight so much before it started, but there is an unpleasant gleam in his eye every time his blade connects with flesh.

To hit: [roll0]
Damage: [roll1]

I assume I only get the attack since its a readied action, but if I've got a move action at the moment as well he'll attempt to move to the nearest available flanking position against any enemy who's not already wounded. If so:
Acrobatics [roll2] to avoid attacks of opportunity

And now all the readied actions have fired off, I'm assuming we need an initiative order here, so [roll3] for Init

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 10:45 PM
Simon, Godrick, Dots,

No need for initiative, due to readied actions you all effectively went first, now their turn.

Simon's blade enters a soft spot of his enemy's studded leather armor, and when he draws it back, it's smeared in blood. Simon then moves into an advantageous position behind the enemy attacking Godrick.

Not to be outdone, two enemies converge on Simon,

[roll0], dmg [roll1]
[roll2], dmg [roll3]
... and one of them jabs a pitchfork into his hip, rather painfully.

The one whom Godrick failed to down, strikes back at the chain-wielding soldier, ineffectively.

[roll4], dmg [roll5]

The leader, down on the ground, attempts to stand up, only to meet the business end of the spiked chain again...

He thinks Godrick expended his limit of attacks of opportunity this round, but is about to be unpleasantly surprised by Combat Reflexes. I assume it's a trip attempt again.

[roll6] touch
if hits opposed STR check to trip again [roll7] vs. [roll8]
if loses, countertrip [roll9] vs. [roll10]
If wins, attack [roll11] for [roll12] damage.

Finally, the leader's own attack [roll13] (-4 penalty if he's prone), dmg [roll14] - (edit: that should have been 1d10+3, he doesn't really deal d20 damage... nevermind, missed anyway)
WHEW, that was a lot of rolls!
... which drops him on the ground again, and rather painfully at that.

The drow and the fifth attacker, as already mentioned, exchanged blows, and the sixth attacker is taking a dirt nap.

Your turn again.

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 10:57 PM
Daniel, Silas, Bortan,
Bortan slashes the boar rather badly, while the beast is still disoriented from its bloodthisty charge. At this close range, you all get a chance to notice the boar has a white-feathered arrow stuck in his rump part.

Daniel & Silas' turn

turbosloth
2011-01-17, 11:05 PM
Grunting in pain, the first sound he has made since combat was joined, Simon attempts to take advantage of the distraction of the foe attacking Godrick to sink his dagger into his spine. At the same time, he twists on the spot to free himself from the pitchfork tines and takes a savage backhand swing at the foe he wounded with his first strike.
Dagger to hit against flanked foe: [roll0] damage [roll1] sneak attack [roll2]
Shortsword to hit [roll3] damage [roll4] (just to clarify, thats against the one he did the 6 damage to last action)

Edit: Whoops, just realised my to hit roll with the dagger was one to high. Too used to my masterwork weapons. Shouldn't matter with a roll like that anyway thankfully

Vladislav
2011-01-17, 11:36 PM
The one who took 6+5=11 damage now drops. The other's hurt but standing. Will provide a more descriptive narrative later.

abadguy
2011-01-18, 04:57 AM
Silas shouts from atop his horse. "Bortan! Get away from the boar and climb over this side of the fence!"

He moves in closer (30') and draws another throwing axe.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-18, 09:31 AM
Dots

Dots darts around the battlefield, placing himself behind the elf's other attacker. Once again he attempts to drive his dagger through his foe's ribs.

Move to flank, and then Sneak Attack!

Attack: [roll0]
Damage:[roll1]
Sneak Damage: [roll2]

2xMachina
2011-01-18, 10:43 AM
Power attack for 1. Target leader
Prone -4AC counted: [roll0]

5' step away, to put them(not counting unconscioused) 10' away. Try to stay opposite Simon.

Godrick takes another swing at the prone man wielding the flail, before shifting away to put some distance between the men and him.

2xMachina
2011-01-18, 10:44 AM
... I always miss a roll...
Damage: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-01-18, 10:58 AM
During Dots move, Acrobatics check to avoid AoO [roll0] DC 15

If fails, one of the men jabs Dots with a pitchfork as he moves [roll1] [roll2]

Simon, thrusting his blades in opposite directions, downs one man and injures another.

Dots teams up with the drow to down yet another foe.

Godrick keeps the leader pinned on the ground, pummeling him further. He rolls on the ground and spits blood. Possibly some teeth as well.

Stop! Just stop! the leader, not so tough now once he made close acquaintance of the roadside mud, begs. He glares at the drow, Okay, you crazy bastards can have him!

2xMachina
2011-01-18, 11:09 AM
Godrick

Godrick lowers his weapon.

"Good to see you see sense. Any of you know first aid? I think there's 3 or 4 men needing stabilizing."

Turning to Simon, he says
"Simon, you better not kill those who surrenders. You'll probably get into trouble for that."

Turning back tot the men, he says, "Of course, you better drop your weapons to convince him you surrendered."

Godrick looks around to see who is most in need of help. If the fight ended, he plans to help stop the bleeding of the dying men.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-18, 11:39 AM
Dots

Seeing the men surrender, Dots puts away his dagger, drenched in blood as it is now.

"Are you alright, elf-man?", he says turning to their new acquaintance. "Dots kept promise, you see?"

Vladislav
2011-01-18, 04:52 PM
In the forest,

Not sure what Daniel's intended action is, but if he wants to approach the boar and attack, we'll retcon it using those rolls:

attack [roll0]
damage [roll1]

The boar, although badly cut, is just starting to get angry. He stomps his hoofs and pounces at the half-orc again.

[roll2]
[roll3]

Looks like its first attack was nothing but a training run, and now that it's got the gist of this goring thing, Bortan is in trouble (10 damage)

Deeper inside the forest, you can all hear now the sounds of a horn or a trumpet. It's getting closer.

On the road

The drow smiles meekly at Dots, while holding his bruised shoulder with one hand. Thank you. I appreciate what you've done... all of you.

Meanwhile, the three men that are still standing, lower their weapons, and with Godrick's help, provide rudimentary first aid to their fallen comrades.

One was only knocked out temporarily, and soon is able to sit upright and walk slowly, if not much more.
Other two are in more dangerous condition, but your collective efforts manage to stem the blood flow and keep them out of peril, at least for now.

Hoisting their friends on their shoulders, your enemies get ready to leave. Assuming you let them leave without further misadventures, as they go they express the sentiment that
a. you and the drow totally deserve each other.
b. they will totally kick your asses next time.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-18, 05:48 PM
Daniel would have attempted to drag Bortan away, so that would have been a touch attack. But it still would have missed.

Bortan! That boar is game for the King! Don't kill it!

If he sees Bortan attack, he'll try to drag him away again.

Touch Attack: [roll0]

--Lime--
2011-01-18, 06:19 PM
Bortan is so taken by bloodlust, he does not hear his ally shout. It has been so long, so, so long... Instead, he swings his axe again, feeling the attack as pain but focused on his goal. Now there is no way back.

ATK 1: [roll0]
ATK 2: [roll1]
DMG 1: [roll2]
DMG 2: [roll3]

turbosloth
2011-01-18, 10:17 PM
Since it was never specified, for role-play reasons I'm assuming the one who stabbed Simon was the same one he hit twice and downed, currently bleeding at his feet. Let me know if thats a problem and I'll retcon edit that part of the post

Once it becomes clear the fight is over and he's not going to get away with killing any of them, Simon bends down, calmly wipes the blood off his dagger and sword on the shirt of the nearest downed attacker, and then, without any forewarning what so ever, gives the one who stabbed him with the pitchfork a vicious kick in the ribs. "Little ****." he snarls before spitting on the man's face "You're goddamn lucky Nancyboy's here, that's all I can say."

Walking over to the elf, he sheaths his dagger and sticks out his hand "Axe, now, scumbag" he demands in elven. Once he has retrieved the axe he insolently wipes the blade off on the elf's shirt, threatening him if he attempts to draw away, before turning with both weapons still drawn and staring down the group of attackers.

"Before you leave you lot are going to pool your coin to pay for my medical expenses, or that one dies whatever my companions say" he growls darkly, pointing his shortsword down at the one responsible for his injury and raising his axe ready for a killing blow to make the point.

After all, he put a hole in me, only reasonable that he and his mates pay to stitch it back up.

2xMachina
2011-01-19, 02:44 AM
Godrick

Sighing, he says, "How bout I buy you some drinks instead? They have their own wounds to take care of."

turbosloth
2011-01-19, 02:50 AM
"Yea, but they should have thought about that before they attacked good king's men, they should. We should have the lot of them hung. Should consider themselves lucky to be let off just having to pay for the damage they caused. Not about the coin, its about justice so it is." Simon spits venomously without changing his threatening stance. "And what good's buying me drinks gonna do anyway? Ale's not going to close up this hole in my side. They did it, they should pay appropriate reparations"

I should be a bloody actor. That was brilliant. Can't argue with justice, can he? Wonder if I can still get the ponce to buy me drinks... 'Course, if not, I can always just spend the coin I'm about to extort out of this lot on it. This little flesh wound hardly needs a doctors attention anyway.

2xMachina
2011-01-19, 04:25 AM
Godrick continues sighing. "Fine, fine. An amount suitable for the wound, and no threats. You don't want them saying you extorted them."

Mysterious_A
2011-01-19, 08:59 AM
Dots

Dots observes the scene from afar, watching Simon with particularly great interest.

"Don't mind him, elf-man.", he says to the elf, "Dots knows clumsy soldier for many minutes now, and suspects deep childhood trauma... But anyway, you are free to go now, yes? Dots suggests moving on to more hospitable location... good luck with it."

Vladislav
2011-01-19, 09:45 AM
On the road

The drow hands the axe to Simon, holding it with two fingers by the handle.

Soldiers, we are poor peasants, we don't have any money on us. They turn their pockets inside out, in a manner not dissimilar to Torrance earlier. Nothing but a few small coins come out.
[roll0] sp, [roll1] cp
Come on, you're the king's men, you have healing covered back there in the castle. I heard you even have a spa.
He's right about healing facilities; the spa is just a rumor, I'm afraid

But anyway, you are free to go now, yes? Dots suggests moving on to more hospitable location... good luck with it.He doesn't need a second invitation. Immediately following Dots' suggestion, the drow breaks into a jog, trying to put as much distance between him and the location of the scuffle.

In the forest

Daniel makes contact with Bortan and attempts to drag him away, while the latter swings his axe ineffectively.

Despite being much stronger than the monk, the armored warrior loses his footing and, embarrassingly, allows himself to be dragged no less than twenty feet back.

The boar is surprised at his prey's sudden disappearance only for a short time. He'll do what he does best, charge heedlessly.

Attacking Daniel or Bortan [roll2] (1=Daniel)
[roll3] dmg [roll4] <---- that's what you get for your trouble! :smallsmile:

While the target is still reeling from the attack, another white-feathered arrow comes flying out of the forest, taking a part of the boar's ear. You can see the silhouette of a rider on horseback approaching, wielding a bow.

still missing Silas' action, will retcon if needed

turbosloth
2011-01-19, 09:57 AM
No sooner do the coins appear than Simon sheathes his weapons and snatches them up. Counting the handful he shakes his head ruefully before going to pocket the lot. Before his hand reaches his pocket, however, he catches himself short and glances at Godrick, then shrugs and hands back three silver and the copper, keeping ten silver for himself. "And let that be a lesson to you about tangling with yer betters, you lilly-livered weasels" he spits, before proceeding to ignore the men as completely as he did the elf's departure. "Right then." he adds to Godrick and Dots "I'm off to town to get a few ales in me before I go get this wound stiched up. Surgeons needle always stings less when yer drunk. You two coming, or what?"

With that said, he turns and saunters down the road without waiting for a reply or giving so much as a backwards glance.

Well that could have gone a lot worse, I reckon. Ten silver will at least pay for the first few rounds.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-19, 10:18 AM
Dots

Dots resumes his walk towards the One Eared Goblin, quiet as if nothing had happened.

2xMachina
2011-01-19, 10:34 AM
Godrick

Seeing Simon already leave, he reaches into his pocket and hands them one gold piece.

"For your wounds, eh? Don't go attacking soldiers, they are trained fighters. And try not to harm anyone. Even if someone DID commit a crime, leave it to the law to handle things."

Finishing his lecture, he turns around and heads to the tavern.

abadguy
2011-01-19, 11:35 AM
Silas sits impassively on his horse. Goddamn orcs ... making trouble for all of us! Hope the boar pokes a few more holes in his hide.

Total Defence

Vladislav
2011-01-19, 01:40 PM
On the road / In the village

The man accept Godrick's tithe with a gruff snarl, that can (very loosely) be interpreted as reluctant thanks. The two groups part ways, with the defeated combatants tracing their steps back through the orchard.

Godrick, Simon and Dots walk the road between some wheat fields and reach the village of Crawford soon enough. The One Eared Goblin is a two-story building on the main square, opposite Ehlonna's church, ironic as it may be. Above the entrance, hangs a sign of a merrily smiling Goblin holding a broom and sweeping the floor, while raising small clouds of dust.

As already known to our heros, who have likely been here before, the first floor is a common room, with food and drinks available for modest pricing, while the upstairs has guest rooms for rent. The common room is fairly empty this hour of day, with only a handful of patrons; three sit at one table, taking quietly, while another gets drunk on his own. The round red face of the proprietor, Mr. Hoggens, smiles at you from behind the bar.

--Lime--
2011-01-19, 02:16 PM
Bortan roars at Daniel - no words, just a raw, animal shout. Daniel's outcry of pain makes the half-orc look down, however, and seeing the beast back next to him, Bortan seems to forget about Daniel, his eyes fixed on the boar.

Readying his axe, seeing but not registering the second arrow, Bortan takes another pop.

[roll0]
[roll1]

[roll2]
[roll3]

Mysterious_A
2011-01-19, 02:33 PM
Dots

Dots walks into the tavern, eyes straight ahead and without any pause. Making his way towards the bar, he looks up at the man behind it, one he has met before on similar assignments.

"Good day Mr. Hoggens. Dots here for the special ale. Three barrels, please."

Deathslayer7
2011-01-19, 04:41 PM
Daniel

Daniel yelps at the pain. Silas! You could help! Daniel shouts. He tries to get a good look at who is on the horse.

[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-01-19, 04:44 PM
(I assume that was a Perception check) Unfortunately, Daniel is unable to learn any new information about the rider. (Edited in) However, he hears something else crashing in through the forest, respectable distance behind the owner of the white arrows.

turbosloth
2011-01-19, 08:53 PM
Simon walks into the tavern and drops 5sp on the counter. Returning the Innkeepers smile with a level, expressionless gaze, he says only "Ale. Keep it coming. And a meal. Nothing fancy. Let me know if that runs out." before grabbing his first mug and sitting in a far corner, with his back to the wall where he can see the door.

Time to get some serious drinking done. Just have to be careful I'm sober enough for duty tonight.

Vladislav
2011-01-19, 10:38 PM
At the Inn

Hoggens nods at Dots. Certainly, come with me to the back room. Hamelyne, please take care of the new guests. He leads Dots to the back, where three barrels are set aside, each marked with a large "R".

Hamelyne is a woman still clinging to beauty of days past, and not without success, one must admit, as only at close range can you see by the wrinkles around her eyes that she must be in her late thirties at least. She takes your orders and goes to the tap to fill the first round of mugs. She fiddles with the mechanism a bit longer than expected, pulling the handle in all sorts of wrong directions at first. By the time she's done and the mugs reach the table, Hoggens and Dots arrive back, rolling the three barrels in front of them.

Sorry about that, Hoggens waves his hand after the serving woman, who meanwhile disappeared into the kitchen, she's all new. So, the fat man adds, wiping the sweat off his brow, where's your cart, Dots? You do have a cart, right?

In the forest

Can't ... update ... need ... moar ... actions ...

Deathslayer7
2011-01-19, 11:05 PM
Daniel

Still not letting go of Bortan, he attempts to drag him away.

Str: [roll0]

edit: sorry just read the ooc.

At hearing the crashing, Daniel heads towards the noise.

Vladislav
2011-01-19, 11:06 PM
Bortan [roll0]
Moves back 5' if Daniel wins; also note that I edited my post above and Daniel did notice something new

turbosloth
2011-01-19, 11:30 PM
Simon watches with open amusement as the the serving woman struggles, then leers at her without even a hint of subtlety, attempted or achieved, as he accepts the mug. Settling back to an afternoon of steady drinking, he winces slightly and frowns as he inadvertently bumps the wound in his side. Thats going to be tender for a few days. Wonder if it'll get me off duty tonight?

Scanning the common room for threats and deciding there are no significant ones, he settles in with one lecherous eye on Hamelyne and one amused one on the conversation between Dots and the innkeeper No cart. Wonder if he'll come ask me for help. Can have some fun with him if he does...

Vladislav
2011-01-20, 12:01 AM
In the forest

Daniel relinquishes his iron grip on the half-Orc and attempts to circle around the boar; the beast would not let him get off easy though. It turns around, and a tusk draws blood from Daniel's side.

AoO [roll0] dmg [roll1]

He ends up about 30' north of the crazed beast and Bortan [[I almost wrote "the crazed beast and the boar", which was appropriate in a way]]

Behind him, the boar pounces at Bortan once more, but he has his guard up and is able to evade it.
[roll2] dmg [roll3]

And then the rider moves closer yet, and unleashes another arrow, which hits the boar's side. As the beast screams in pain, Daniel notices that he recognizes the rider. And how can he not, anyone who was ever in possession of a gold coin would recognize that profile, that nose, that beard. Why, it's none other than your monarch, King Galen, on his faithful steed, boar-hunting in his forest. 200' or so behind him, several riders are closing.

--Lime--
2011-01-20, 12:24 AM
Bortan throws down his axe. This is something he has yearned for. He needs to be as close to it as he can.

Lunging at the boar, he attempts to grab it around the neck, and wrestle it to the ground.

Sorry to do this to you, but it's something I was always going to do with Bortan. Bortan attempts to grapple the boar.

Dependent on AoO result...

Touch attack:
[roll0]

Opposed Grapple:
[roll1]

Damage: (Med Unarmed strike (non-lethal) + 1d6 armor spikes (lethal, Piercing) + STR bonus (applied to armour, therefore lethal) + 1 reckless damage (Taking as lethal from armour spikes unless you disagree))
[roll2] Nonlethal
[roll3] Lethal

...*hope* I haven't missed anything, and that I have the non-lethal/lethal damage correct. I've never used spiked armour before. Also, because I paid extra for masterwork spikes, the next round I'm going to add +1 onto my attack. This round, the RAW is only "opposed grapple" not "make an attack" so I didn't add it in. If you want to add it in this round, I'm not complaining.

Vladislav
2011-01-20, 12:31 AM
So near and yet so far, missed the touch attack by 1.

The boar wiggles out of Bortan's grip, not before sliding his tusk across the fighter's armor with a horrifying screech, but the metal plates hold.

AoO [roll0] dmg [roll1]

2xMachina
2011-01-20, 02:51 AM
Godrick

Arriving at the counter, he orders a meal, and a mug of ale. He then settles at a table to enjoy his meal.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-20, 10:45 AM
Dots

"Uhh...cart? Yes, cart. Where is cart?", asks Dots, more to himself than to anyone else in the room, as he spins in a circle trying to find the unexistant contraption.

Coming up empty, he addresses Mr. Hoggens again, a puzzling look on his face. "...Dots could build cart, Mr. Hoggens. Do you have materials? Dots adaptable. Could build cheese-cart if needed."

Vladislav
2011-01-20, 11:42 AM
What? No, I don't have materials. What does it look like, a smithy? It's enough I have to deal with her, he points in the direction of the kitchen, where Hamelyne is running around like a chicken with her head cut off amid clouds of smoke. Here are the barrels, get them out whichever way you can.

Having completed this angry tirade, he quickly reverts to his position, that of an innkeeper, and breaks into a smile. A drink?

Mysterious_A
2011-01-20, 12:03 PM
Dots

A bit stunned from the quick change of tone, Dots refuses the drink, and meekly goes over to a chair while he muses over his problem.

Soon enough, the sounds of Simon getting hammered reach him, and he knows he has his answer.

Dots jumps up from his chair and runs over to Godrick and Simon's table. "Clumsy soldier. Righteous soldier. Dots has answer. Alone, Dots cannot carry three barrels. One maybe, not three. With makeshift cart, Dots could carry all barrels. Probably. If Dots did good work. But there is a better option than those. Which is: Dots carries no barrels, but you carry them for him. Soldiers understand Dots?"

Deathslayer7
2011-01-20, 12:49 PM
Daniel

Daniel gives the King a quick bow before circling around the King and checking out the riders behind him. He will not bother the King and hopes that Boratn does not kill the boar.

Perception:[roll0]

Vladislav
2011-01-20, 01:09 PM
In the forest

What the hell are you doing here, and who is the brute trying to steal my kill? He addresses Daniel.

Daniel:The riders behind the king seem stocky and short. You happen to recall that the king's personal retinue of bodyguards, headed by Tomlin, is all-dwarven.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-20, 01:24 PM
Daniel

I apologize your Majesty. We were just on border patrol when the boar came crashing through. I tried to stop him but he is not listening to reason at the moment.

Vladislav
2011-01-20, 05:43 PM
In the forest

He smiles. We'll see who kills whom.

As if to confirm his words, the boar gets so mad that it stands on his hind feet and strikes Bortan again, making a deep gash on his neck that almost severs his jugular.

[roll0] dmg [roll1] edit if I count correctly, Bortan only has 2 hp left

Seeing this travesty, the king spurs his horse forward and, from a close range, puts another arrow in the animal's side. The boar also seems to be on his last legs, dripping blood all around from several holes and cuts, but is holding on with animalistic ferocity.

You get a chance to observe King Galen now that he's out of the cover of the trees. He's about 50, but seems still in shape, riding a slim dark stallion, and is wearing a gray-green hunting cloak and riding boots. A shortsword is hanging on his hip, in addition to the aforementioned longbow.

His nose is slightly more crooked than the coins indicate, but otherwise the images of him you've seen are a good resemblance. His face is thin and a bit longer than usual, not one that could be called handsome. The eyes are black, inquisitive, and never gaze at the same spot for too long, always darting around.

turbosloth
2011-01-20, 06:02 PM
"oh, we understand just fine, freakshow. Your too lazy to do your job, so your asking us to instead. Now this goody two-shoes might doe it out of the kindness of his heart, but I've gotta ask. Whats in it for me?" Simon replies to Dot.

Dots carries no barrels indeed. Creepy little ****. Doubt he's got any coin by the look of him, so good luck getting me off my arse.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-20, 06:46 PM
Dots

"Right. Dots figured clumsy soldier would ask that.", Dots comments, undisturbed.

And with that Dot's right hand disappears into his pouch. When it emerges, however it is much shinier than it was before. Ten sparkling golden coins showing the semblance of king Galen are poured onto the table with that special rattling sound of dropped currency.

"...You will help Dots because Dots can pay."

2xMachina
2011-01-20, 09:28 PM
Godrick

"I can help you, but you'll have to wait till I'm finished. Also, I'm pretty sure the barrels are clunky enough that I can't carry two."

He ponders for a moment, "Of course, I wouldn't mind watching him try to carry two for your gold though."

turbosloth
2011-01-20, 10:20 PM
Simon's superior smirk disappears as he stares from the coins on the table to Dots' rags and back again a couple of times, then instinct kick in and he shoots his hand out and snatches them up. "Er... Right then. That'll do." he stammers, momentarily lost for words. "We can carry or roll one each, yea? Three barrels, three of us, makes sense. Don't think I've got the muscle to lift one, but I should be able to roll it up to the castle no worries. You need 'em shifted now, or can I finish my drink first?" It is a measure of Simon's shock that he got through an entire sentence that long without so much as a single sneer or insult.

Where in the hell did the little fellow get that much coin? And why doesn't he spend it on some better clothes? And a bath? Oh well, never mind. Ten gold for an hours work, thats better wages than the army pays and no mistake. Maybe I should hang around this freakshow more often.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-21, 09:10 AM
Dots

Dots gives off a satisfied grin.

"Finish food, yes. By all means. And one barrel each sounds good, although Dots would have more coin for someone who tried to carry the second...", he eyes Simon.

turbosloth
2011-01-21, 11:37 AM
Simon's eyes flash greedily for a minute at the mention of more coin, but after a moments thought he sighs heavily and shakes his head."I'm not doing your whole job for you, you lazy little ****" He mutters. "One keg each it is"

Don't have the muscle to move two, more's the pity... maybe I should work out more

Vladislav
2011-01-21, 12:11 PM
At the Inn

The food arrives at your table slightly burned, but still edible. The innkeeper apologizes profusely for his new hire's ineptitude and tells you this one's on the house.

Meanwhile, a musical instrument starts playing at the top floor, probably a lute or a mandolin. Soon, a woman's voice joins in singing. It's a rather nice voice, quite good on the strings too. Probably not professional quality, you may have heard better if you've been in good entertainment places, but still pretty nice.

Dots, unfortunately can't understand a word of the song.

Simon, Godrick
It's a Toldur romance song, speaking of a lady walking between apple trees in bloom, yearning and praying for the return of her beloved from war, as naive as it is charming.

In the forest

Need ... moar ... posts ...

--Lime--
2011-01-21, 12:24 PM
Bortan seems almost to realise the situation he is in. A quick glance at his double-axe on the floor, and he knows that he won't have time to pick it up. Besides, the boar is standing right over it, and after what happened last time he put his hand near it, Bortan doesn't want to take the risk.

Instead, he draws the Greataxe from his back and takes a hefty swing.

[roll0]
[roll1]
*crosses fingers*

Mysterious_A
2011-01-21, 12:31 PM
Dots

Dots remains silently thoughtful throughout the song, daring not disrupt the moment with words. A few moments after it ends, though, he breaks out of his contemplation to comment.

"...Pretty music.... very pretty. Wish Dots knew words....but still, pretty music...wonder where barmaid learned to play like that..."

Vladislav
2011-01-21, 12:38 PM
In the forest

Doesn't look like he's very good at it. The king comments. But I do admire his moxy.

[[if D & S want to take action, I will gladly retcon it. They should nominally go before the boar]]

The boar, infuriated, gores Bortan again. Will the half-orc survive the attack?

[roll0] dmg [roll1]

Yes, seems like lady luck has a soft spot for crazy bloodthirsty orcs. Or maybe she was just looking the other way, allowing Gruumsh to nudge the odds.

The king is in close range now, and can unleash two arrows with better precision. Both hit, dropping the animal to its knees. It seems dead or dying for a moment ... but no, it's legs straighten again and it's ready to fight yet.

Negative HP, but still going strong. Boars are resilient like that.

--Lime--
2011-01-21, 12:40 PM
Seeing the boar stand up again, Bortan does what first comes to his mind - attacks again.

(I *have* to hit this time. Seriously.)
[roll0]
[roll1]

Deathslayer7
2011-01-21, 01:29 PM
Daniel

Daniel seeing Bortan in trouble and seeing that the King didn't mind as much as he thought, charges the boar and brings a foot right into its side. As he passes by the King he says I'm sorry for doing this but a friend is in trouble. before continuing to charge past him.

attacke[roll0]
damage[roll1]

If it still is standing, then another punch and kick comes its way

Flurry of Misses go!
attack1:[roll2]
damage1:[roll3]

attack2:[roll4]
damage2:[roll5]

Vladislav
2011-01-21, 01:50 PM
In the forest

Daniel's kick breaks the beast's neck, killing it instantly before it even had time to bleed to death.

The king dismounts and examines the carcass, while a trio of dwarves on horses (neigh!) arrive from behind him.

Well, it's about time you showed up. He comments without turning around.

The dwarf in the center bows. Sorry, Your Majesty, but if we only had better horses... but I see you already killed the beast. An amazing specimen indeed, if I may say so. Will make a fine trophy.

Mmm hmm. Killed. The King locks eyes with Daniel for but a moment, then continues to examine the carcass. Too many holes in it for my liking, Grenn. Have it skinned, roasted and sent to Saint Tivadar's Abbey, with compliments of the court. Have them pray for my family's health.

Yes Sir. even though the king can't see him, the dwarf makes it a point to bow again.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-21, 02:09 PM
Daniel

Daniel remains silent for stealing the King's kill but says nothing. He bows low. Excuse me, but I must see to my friend. He then heads over to Bortan and picks up his axe and offers him a shoulder to lean on.

--Lime--
2011-01-21, 11:44 PM
Seeing the animal dead, Bortan feels something of remorse. Truly, one of his gods had been appeased, and another had surely been watching his back. Too bad nobody had been guiding his axes. But to see such a powerful beast crumpled in a heap... well, it was sad, in a way. A large, limp pile of muscle that could easily have been himself, not to mention the fallen glory of the animal. The half-orc licked the tusk-like fangs in his bottom jaw, glanced at the scratch across his breastplate, and finally looked down upon the boar's tusks. It was all too similar. He resolved - once more - to beat this affliction of his. To quell the bloodlust that raged in his heat. And yet as soon as he said this to himself, there was something different. The boar was now meat, and seemed a different object to the one that had gored his neck. To see the life drain out from the pupils would connect the two disjointed images, and a small part - deep, deep inside his mind - prodded at Bortan to join the dots.

His neck... placing his hand to the wound, Bortan took it away and saw the blood. It didn't seem too bad. But with his other injuries...
"Sire," he began, recognising the man before him, and falling to one knee. "I am aware of the law that all in these forests is your quarry, and yours alone. However, I throw myself upon your mercy to find reason in my actions. The beast attacked us, and we did nought but defend ourselves. I trust in you to arbitrate between the letter of the law and your own discresion, and if I must suffer punishment, then I shall accept it honourably."

Thank the gods for trianing camp, he mused, Judging from my performance today, about the only think I leaned to do there was suck up to superiors. I hope I'm better at that than I was with my axe just now...

Hooray! Character-based RP! Dontcha just love the little guy? He tries so hard... only to have me make him kill again :smallbiggrin:

Vladislav
2011-01-22, 12:39 AM
As Bortan mentions being punished, the dwarves perk up, almost giddy at the prospect, but the King pays them no heed. I found that entertaining, to say the least. And if I was ever to issue an edict to punish you, he adds, smiling at Bortan, I'd be sure to do so from a safe distance. But enought of that. He becomes more serious, and opens up a flap of his hunting cloak, where you note dozens of small pins stuck in neat rows.

After deliberation, he chooses two that seem to fit the occasion.

Knowledge (Esoteric) DC 5 to open the spoiler
All the pins are miniature holy symbols. If you beat the DC by 5 or more:
The ones he chose are Kelemvor, God of the Dead, and Solonor Thelandira, patron of the hunters

He sticks the pins into the ground next to the carcass and kneels in a prayer.

2xMachina
2011-01-22, 02:16 PM
Godrick

"It's in Toldur. It is a romance song. Something about a lady waiting for her beloved to return from war. We could go find the singer if you want."

--Lime--
2011-01-22, 02:31 PM
Bortan observes the pins silently.

Not the god of death that I would have chosen, but it wasn't my kill, I suppose. Next time, though, Nerull shall glory in the blood...

Knowledge (Esoteric) (untrained)[roll0]

Deathslayer7
2011-01-22, 02:53 PM
Daniel

Daniel waits silently, sending his own prayer to that it was the boar that was dead and not Bortan.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-22, 06:40 PM
Dots

"No, no. Why would Dots want to see singer? If you are done, we should go back to the castle. Dots must complete task, yes?"

abadguy
2011-01-23, 09:44 PM
Silas, watching silently from his side of the fence all his while, smirked as the exchange went on between Daniel and the King. Funny, I thought everyone knew to stay on this side of the fence to avoid getting in the King's way.

Seeing the King bow down in what seems to be prayer, he gets off his horse and bows his head in respect to the King's piousness.

Vladislav
2011-01-23, 10:32 PM
In the forest

Having completed the prayer, the King gathers back the pins and jumps on his horse.

Carry on.

As he rides back into the forest, Grenn sighs. I better follow him, you two take care of the kill. The other two dwarves take out hunting knives and ropes, and get ready to load the carcass on their horses.

If you stick around to watch them at work:
With traditional dwarven charm, they tell you to shove off and continue your patrol. And keep to the right side of the fence this time.

If you offer help:
With traditional dwarven charm, they tell you to shove off and continue your patrol. And keep to the right side of the fence this time.

If you leave and continue your patrol:
With traditional dwarven charm, they ignore you.

At the Inn

While you admire the music and discuss your future course of action, a woman walks in. She's about 40, and is dressed in simple peasant clothing, with which the two peacock feathers stuck in her red hair fall in sharp contrast.

Dots, Simon
You've seen her around the castle. Her name is Olivia LeDaine, the king's personal hairdresser or beautician or makeup artist or somesuch.

She approaches the innkeeper and discusses something with him in whisper.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-23, 11:10 PM
Daniel

Daniel helps carry/support Bortan back to the horses. Are you okay? he asks Bortan shaking him, waiting for a response.

Perception: [roll0] to see the smirk.

Vladislav
2011-01-23, 11:24 PM
[[you saw the smirk]]

--Lime--
2011-01-23, 11:39 PM
Now that the king has left, Bortan takes Daniel's helping hand at last.

"Thanks for back there," he says, warmly, "I don't think I could have taken much more of it." A deep chuckle escapes his throat, neck wound stretching and closing with the vibrating flesh. "Next one's mine, though, eh?" he adds, dropping a conspicuous wink.

Whether you know about it or not...

And, since the king hadn't given him any different orders, Bortan starts heading to the other side of the fence to finish out his original ones - completing the patrol.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-24, 12:20 AM
Daniel

Daniel helps Bortan up on his horse, shaking his head. He then rounds on Silas. You coiuld have helped you know. he said with an ice to his voice. That boar almost gored him to death.

abadguy
2011-01-24, 01:48 AM
"You two seemed to be handling things well. I would have stepped in if it looked bad," replied Silas just as coldly. "Besides, you would not be posted here to guard the King if you could not handle a simple boar. You were simply held back by trying not to steal the King's kill." He pulled a healing potion from his pack and tossed it to Bortan. "Here orc, drink this and let's get on with this patrol. Your blood is better spilled in service to the King."

turbosloth
2011-01-24, 05:48 AM
Finishing his meal, Simon downs his ale and smacks his lips with satisfaction before gesturing to the inn staff for another mug. Other than a habitual leer, he pays no attention whatsoever to Olivia's arrival, much more interested in the beer in front of him. Having regained his composure after his surprise at Dot's relative wealth, he glances over at the little man. "I've already put coin over the bar I'm not planning on leaving, and most innkeepers find it impolite to take it back once it's down. I'll shift a barrel once it runs out."

After all, I've already got his coin in my pocket, whats he going to do?

2xMachina
2011-01-24, 07:19 AM
Godrick

Just as Godrick was lifting his mug for a sip, Olivia arrived. He mutters softly, "Hmm, curious. Wonder what she's doing here." over his mug of ale. He finished his meal soon after, and sit back to relax and sip his ale. He is planning to sit and relax for a while. He thinks, "Still a while till duty starts. Hmm, there's the barrels, so I'll have to head back a bit earlier than usual."

Later, hearing Simon, he goes, "Heh, you still need to get to watch duty in time. Better get drinking quickly, eh? Still... make sure you don't get too drunk to work. I ain't hauling both you and two barrels back to the castle. Nor you want to be drunk on duty."

Mysterious_A
2011-01-24, 08:23 AM
Dots

Dots watches Olivia with a curious look, turning to Godrick after his remark.

"Righteous soldier seen her in castle too, yes? But why would lady from castle be at tavern? Degenerative drinking problem, perhaps...", he eyes Simon downing his ales, "....or, perhaps, something else...."

Dots gets up and makes to move towards the beautician. "Let's ask her!"

--Lime--
2011-01-24, 01:37 PM
"Half-orc" he growls, "And that's Bortan to you. What, would you rather I simply call you Dwarf?"

He swigs the potion and swallows it down in one gulp, before discarding the phial in the long grass on the outside of the fence.

"Thanks for this. Let's move out."

He coaxes his horse back over the fence to the outside, and continues on patrol.

CLW, Caster level minimum=1, therefore 1d8+(1 per caster level) = 1d8+1
[roll0]
Edit: Get IN! Finally after all that crap rolling, something finally goes right!
Character sheet updated.

Vladislav
2011-01-24, 02:39 PM
[[given the projected time to walk to the castle with their load, and getting their gear ready, the Inn group now have about 30 minutes; delaying beyond that runs the risk of being late for duty]]

At the Inn

Dots approaches Olivia as she's finishing off the conversation with Mr. Hoggens on a rather trenchant note.

Simon only
Despite of being half-groggy on ale and on the other side of the room, you manage to hear her say to Mr. Hoggens, Well, tell her to shut up then.

Hoggens goes up the stairs, leaving Olivia at the bar, holding a small mug of root beer between her palms, but not drinking. She turns to Dots, can I help you?

In the forest

The trio travel around the hunting area. For about ten miles (two hours of slow ride) nothing significant happens, and they are almost done with their patrol. Now they are back at the place where the road leading to the castle goes close to the grounds fence.

Rattling up the road behind them is a richly-adorned carriage, pulled by four horses and flying a Toldur flag.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-24, 05:03 PM
Dots

Dots looks up at Olivia to reply. "Why? Is beautician looking to help? Many people in world could use help, Dots is sure. If beautician really wanted to help, she could help them. Beautician wasn't helping them before, as far as Dots could see, though. So, perhaps beautician did want to help from before she saw Dots, but did not know people of world needed help, which would be why beautician asked Dots if she could help! Beautician's choice of location from which to start her helping, in that scenario, confuses Dots, though..."

"...or...mayhaps beautician is already helping person of the world. Which could explain beautician's location. And question to Dots be merely...question to Dots be merely socially inept question. Yes....yes, that sounds possible..."

Vladislav
2011-01-24, 10:33 PM
I don't understand a word you're saying. Is there a point to this? And ... do I know you? Oh, you're that guy from the ... the guy that helps around with ... stuff.

She decides the time is right for a swig of root beer after all, then adds,And I'm a hairdresser, by the way, not a beautician .

abadguy
2011-01-25, 12:19 AM
Silas halts his horse and spits on the ground as he sees the Toldur flag. "Damn Toldurians. Another fancy schmancy high level talk again." He tightens his grip on his bridle. "Better watch them like a hawk in case they try anything funny with the King."

((Silas will observe closely the carriage's passage until it reaches the summer palace, particularly looking out for its passengers PERCEPTION if need [roll0]))

Mysterious_A
2011-01-25, 08:17 AM
Dots

"Hm. Beautician is better name. Hairdresser too... clumsy. Dots calls you beautician, yes? Yes. But, to the point, as there is a point, and beautician requested the point. Beautician clearly distressed from talk with Mr. Hoggens. When beautician was distressed, however, she forgot to drink her beverage. Which means talk with Mr. Hoggens more important than beverage, hence beautician not really here for beverage at all! But why would beautician be in tavern, if not for beverage? Problem could be personal. But what? What problem could beautician have to resolve with Mr. Hoggens? There is no likely connection between beautician and Mr. Hoggens, hence the likely scenario... there is third person that makes the connection, and it is third person's issue, or an issue caused by third person that beautician deals with."

Dots gets closer. "Dots apologizes for ramble, but he is curious. Who is third person, beautician?"

Vladislav
2011-01-25, 09:51 AM
Silas,
There's a driver holding the reigns, and next to him an armored man armed with a spear. The tip of another spear can be seen protruding from behind the carriage, maybe another armed man is there too. As the carriage draws closer, you see through the window a well dressed man, sitting inside, reading some papers. He seems to be the only occupant of the carriage.
In addition to the Toldur flag, the carriage, and the armored man's uniform, are also adorned in a crest in the shape of a lion. You don't recognize the crest.

At the Inn

She throws her head back in laughter, a tense moment seem to have passed. You're very perceptive, she says, just as the music stops. I was just checking up on someone. But everything seems to be in order, so I'll go now. She slides the mug away from her. And this beer is horrible, I have no idea how you soldiers manage to put enough of it inside you to get drunk.

She stands up with the clear intent to leave.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-25, 11:07 AM
Dots

Dots makes no move to stop her, instead going back to the table. He sits there with a thoughtful expression, but doesn't say anything to the others.

--Lime--
2011-01-25, 01:55 PM
"I want to go see what they're up to," says Bortan, "Anyone going to back me up?"

He doesn't ride towards the carriage just yet. To question them on his own would appear weak, although he suspects they're going to the castle, which, of course, is where the soldiers are headed.
A great way to assert authority, he thinks, Insist on escorting them where they were headed anyway...

abadguy
2011-01-25, 11:02 PM
Silas nods, "Aye, but let's follow close behind for now."

--Lime--
2011-01-26, 02:39 AM
"No, they'll just get suspicious and suspicion could lead to unwanted consequences," says Bortan, "Best to be upfront about the matter. Let's direct them to the castle where it'll become someone else's problem to deal with."

Vladislav
2011-01-26, 07:23 PM
The Inn trio reach the conclusion it's time to head back home, lest they want to face the wrath of their superiors. [[Unless I receive indication otherwise I will assume that]] they get on the road, each man whether carrying or rolling an ale barrel.

The patrol, meanwhile, is fraught by indecision. The carriage passes them by, continuing on the road to the castle.

--Lime--
2011-01-26, 08:00 PM
"Enough of this indecision," says Bortan, "I shall go, who will back me?" and without waiting for an answer he rides up to the carriage.

"Hi there," he calls out in Gallic, "Halt in the name of the King!"

Vladislav
2011-01-26, 08:41 PM
The driver pulls on the reins, stopping the vehicle. The armed men eye you with suspicion, but their alarm is somewhat alleviated seeing the crest sewn into your clothing.

Soldier, this is a diplomatic mission, one of them says, not at all happy to see you, but avoiding threatening moves, his weapon laying on the bench by his side. Another guard knocks on the roof to signal, and the door opens, revealing a man of lofty look, commanding stature, and undaunted composure of countenance and manner. He steps out, surveying the half-orc and his lame horse, eventually coming to a sigh of relief.

Aha, a patrol of His Majesty. No doubt sent to delay me under whatever pretence becomes available. Well, speak, soldier, what is it?

--Lime--
2011-01-26, 09:56 PM
"We do not wish to delay you any more than is necessary; in doing so, we delay ourselves. I have just a few questions," he begins. "Firstly, is your presence in the kingdom known by Galen's Court? Secondly, are you invited here or sent from elsewhere? Thirdly, without intruding on your official business, what is your broad purpose here in the kingdom? For example, will you be meeting any of our diplomats or simply passing through? Finally, what is your destination, and have you lodgings for tonight?"

Sorry for a block-of-text post, just want to keep the pace up. If it makes more sense that I wait for his answers in between asking, feel free to post in that fashion.

Vladislav
2011-01-26, 11:00 PM
The man tilts his head, patiently waiting for you to finish your questioning. When you're done, he responds.

I was sent on this journey by my lord and master, King Lucas of Toldur. I did not advertise my arrival, however I will not be surprised if news of my approach may have reached the court in other ways. Lodging I have none. It is my intention to reach the castle gates and request an audience with King Galen, and by the castle gates I shall remain until my request is granted or until I am forcibly removed.

Should, he continues, an audience be granted, it is my duty to read a missive from my lord, and to register His Majesty's responce, if any, then bring news of said responce back to Toldur.

--Lime--
2011-01-26, 11:39 PM
"Well, as far as I'm concerned, you will be reporting to the castle, just as you wish. Someone more accustomed to dealing with diplomats will take it from there, I'm sure. We'll ride with you, we were heading back there already."

Bortan rides back to tell the others what was said and what is now happening.

Vladislav
2011-01-27, 12:03 AM
Very well, as you wish. He nods and disappears inside. The carriage rolls forward, slow enough that y'all can keep up if you want. Soon, the castle comes into view behind the road bend, no more than a mile away.

At that time, a man, filthy and bloodied, his clothes ragged and the tone of his skin dark, jumps from the surrounding underbrush and yells at the driver, Hey, guy in fancy carriage, spare a couple of gold coins for a poor beggar?

You recognize the man as a nomadic Dark Elf; your parents most likely told you to stay away from their kind.

abadguy
2011-01-27, 01:41 AM
If there was anything Silas disliked more than orcs, it would be dark elves. He immediately hisses to Bortan, "Keep him away from the carriage. Those things are like cockroaches, there are probably more hiding in the brush." He scans the surroundings intently and perks his ears for sounds of mass movement.
PERCEPTION [roll0]

--Lime--
2011-01-27, 08:01 AM
Riding up to the vagabond, Bortan keeps his eyes and ears keen for any more activity. He dismounts, and approaches the vagrant with open palms held up in a reassuring gesture. Standing right in front of the beggar, he speaks in a low voice, trying to hide what he is saying from the foreigners in the carriage.

"These men are guests in the Kingdom. Just look at the flag they fly. You'll get nothing from them, trust me; besides, if you cause trouble for me now..." (and here he flexes his shoulders and biceps, pounding one fist into the opposite palm) "But if you wait 'till I get off duty, I'll fund you a whole night of food, ale and a spot at the Goblin after, or we can agree a cash equivalent. Within my means, whatever the gold amount, what you'll cost me will be a lot less than my job..."

Being sure to bare his teeth, Bortan finishes off by saying "...and bear in mind, if I lose my job, then I have nothing left to lose at all. Not even if I swing for it, if you catch my drift.

I don't know whether or not to make an intimidate check here. The main aim is not to scare him off, but to show him waiting a while for payoff instead of hanging around will have better consequences. It's not a threat, so much as a bribe, but the threat is there too. It's not bluff, either, as Bortan is being honest. Having met the king that day, Bortan wants to stay in the good books, which probably means not causing trouble for visiting diplomats.

Anyhoo,
Perception: [roll0]

Deathslayer7
2011-01-27, 10:47 AM
Daniel

Daniel eyes the dark elf with some curiosity and listens to the conversation at hand. He scans their surrondings in case. A Dark Elf here.... was unique.

Perception: [roll0]

He rides up on the other side of the carriage. We'll guide you to the Castle. We were just finishing with our patrol anyway. he says to the driver.

Vladislav
2011-01-27, 12:18 PM
[[Perception checks fail to provide any useful information; there doesn't seem to be mass movement in the brush, for all you can tell.]]

Somewhat taken aback by Bortan, the drow retreats a few steps, when the carriage window opens and the emissary looks out.

There is a brief exchange between the two, and it ends when the ambassador throwing some shiny gold coins (presumably, bearing the dubious visage of King Lucas, but gold is still gold) in the general direction of the drow, then slams the window shut.

The drow screeches in excitement and [[unless physically prevented from doing so]] pounces to pick up the coins.

The driver nods to Daniel. Of course, please do.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-27, 01:25 PM
Daniel

Daniel moves around the drow but keeps an eye on him anyway. If nothing uneventful happens, he'll lead the way and about 5 minutes before the castle, tell them that he's going to go up ahead to warn them of their arrival.

Vladislav
2011-01-28, 12:35 AM
The drow scuttles into the cover of the trees, and you continue. Soon all arrive at the castle safely, those on horseback, and those on foot rolling or carrying precious ale, with the carriage following.

Horses are returned to the stablemaster, who only shrugs at the fact all three, including the lame one, came back. He really wanted to write off that lame horse.

Torrance is overjoyed at the arrival of the ale, and is ready to shower Dots, Godrick and Simon with ... well, actually, he has no money, but he gives you a small flask each. If you try a taste, you find it's good.

Simon and Godrick get ready for their watch, while Bortan, Silas and Daniel, who should have gotten the evening off, have an unpleasant surprise coming. Due to the arrival of the Toldur emissary, they are told, the King wants the reception to look good, and this includes upping the honor guard at the great hall.

Dots is also ordered to the reception, to help around with whatever needs helping around. Thus, all six of our intrepid heroes are to dress in their best and finest, be fully equipped and to meet at the main reception hall in half an hour.

[[OOC: Do whatever can realistically be done in half an hour; if no one wants to do anything, we'll move on to the reception tomorrow]]

--Lime--
2011-01-28, 12:45 AM
Bortan polishes the blood off his axes and reports for duty.

Deathslayer7
2011-01-28, 01:23 AM
Daniel goes to the infirmary to get his wounds taken care and suggests Bortan do the same. He also quite politely tells Silas to get rid of his attitude before the feast. Otherwise he'll just ruin it for everyone.

((no offense meant, but Daniel really didn't like you just sitting there.))

2xMachina
2011-01-28, 01:48 AM
Godrick says thanks for the flask, and kept it in his backpack. He then go to prepare for the watch duty.

[[OOC: Nothing to do, move on as you like]]

Mysterious_A
2011-01-28, 08:40 AM
Dots saves the flask for later while he tries to imagine what "dress in your finest" means...

Eventually he just picks up a flower, placing it over his rags, and calls it a day. That's gotta be good enough...right?

Ready to move.

Vladislav
2011-01-28, 12:13 PM
At the infirmary

A cranky head surgeon examines your wounds, tells you those are just scratches, and you should tough it out and never bother him again with such nonsense. Nevertheless, he sends you as practice fodder to some of his junior acolytes, who patch you up to the best of their ability.

Each of you receives a Cure Light Wounds (CL1).

Simon (I assume he also went) [roll0]
Daniel [roll1]
Bortan (if he listened to Daniel's advice and went) [roll2]

And now, let the reception begin

The entire court is gathered to meet the Toldur emissary and listen to what he has to say. Tomlin, in ceremonial armor, arranges the soldiers at equal intervals around the walls.
Also present are:
- The king's daughters, Madam Alexandra Borret and Princess Joanna. The former is a fair lady of 25, recently married; she's accompanied by her husband, a Baron of Green Hollows or Black Meadows or somesuch. The latter is 19, sickly, not very good looking, very shy.
- Duke Oleander, the king's nephew.
- Archbishop Baull, head Priest of Pelor.
- Galeus Valle, the court Wizard.
- General DeNois, one of the top commanders of the kingdom's army.

Among general salutes and trepidation, enters the King. He's dressed in simple clothing, contrasting sharply with the pomp and glamor of those that surround him. If you have seen him earlier today ...
... you note he looks a bit different. His hair's a bit shorter.

He sits on a throne prepared for him in advance, and takes a drink from the ale. The smile on his face shows your trip was not in vain. He takes his time, then waves at the pages to allow the ambassador to enter.

... to be continued very soon.

Vladislav
2011-01-28, 12:35 PM
Crap, messed up the rolls
Simon [roll0]
Daniel [roll1]
Bortan [roll2]

The ambassador enters, dressed in full ceremonial armor minus the helmet. He kneels before the king, even if his kneeling can be described as somewhat shallow.

[[I am going to assume you don't interfere in this exchange. If anyone feels they want to, go ahead, I'll back up as needed]]

Your majesty, I am Ignat Golod, a knight in the service of King Lucas, and I was authorized to read the following demands to you.
Demands? the king furrows his brow, is that how he chose to put it. Very well, move along.
First, let it be known that King Lucas objects to constant attacks and provocations on your forces part across the Sheryl river and seeks not only desisting such, but fair compensation.
Second, let it be known that my liege takes offense at your Majesty's agents sowing discord in his cities, encouraging scoundrels to rebel against his rightful rule.
Third, his majesty King Lucas demands that you return to him his runaway rebellious vassal, Countess Mariana Perovna, who, according to our best information took refuge in your kingdom.

The king leans back in his chair. If looks could kill, the impetuous emissary would be taking 10d6 fire damage now. Finally, he says, are you done?
Done speaking, but not listening, your majesty. Your response will be greatly appreciated.

Well, tell your sovereign that, first, the border skirmishes he speaks of were either instigated by his own men, or retaliation actions by mine for numerous provocations. Tell him that he who sows the wind should not be surprised to harvest a storm.
Second, this crown cannot be held responsible for every peasant and yeoman dissatisfied with your king's tyrannous rule. If he can't rule his borders properly, the address for grievances would be with his own advisers.
Third, this crown denies all responsibility for crazed runaway noblewomen.
Now, I believe, you are done, yes?

Almost, sir. My sovereign predicted that your answers will be of evasive and unsatisfactory nature, and in this case, authorized me to convey on his behalf this: His Majesty King Lucas challenges you, as a king and as a man, to a duel to the death.

With that, he throws his metal gauntlet, and it clangs on the floor at the King's feet.

Now I am done. He turns to leave.

--Lime--
2011-01-28, 12:44 PM
It is one of those moments where one wishes they were able to whistle.
At least he didn't say anything about us...

Bortan watches the crowd, rather than the exchange.
These nobles, always something going on about honour... His disinterest, if only he could realise it, is somewhat ironic. It should be obvious that the affairs of kings have little bearing on the everyday lives of peasants, besides public holidays and new taxes, yet this was one of the King's revelations.

In a perfect demonstration of this fact, Bortan's mind is on getting off duty and heading into town.

Updated character sheet. Natural 1 again for the heal, obviously :smalltongue:

Passive Perception check: [roll]1d20+1

EDIT: Dammit forgot to close the tag. Will roll OOC. By the way, I love that sowing the wind, harvesting the storm phrase. Gonna have to use it myself at some point.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-28, 01:34 PM
Dots

If Dots had a beard, he would be scratching it now...

Once the reception began, Dots found himself a quiet little corner to stand around in, generally disinterested in the noble's affairs. Lost in thought, he even missed it when the ambassador walked in.... the speech, however, those angry words spoken in such a polite tone, those brought his attention to the hall...

Attacks on the borders. A duel for the king. Strange things, certainly, but he didn't know anything about them. Why, then, did those words pique his interest so? Dots had a feeling he -did- know something about them, that there was a connection to be made there. Thinking about it directly just made him more frustated, though...

The little man turns his gaze to the room, observing it's occupants while he thinks. And that's when he notices Godrick, on the king's honor guard.

Dots has always tried to follow his instincts. And right now his instincts are telling him "Go sneak up on that warrior mage!".

Stealth check to reach Godrick unnoticed: [roll0]

2xMachina
2011-01-28, 01:55 PM
Godrick sighs. Politics....

He can't help but feel a little dislike towards the King of Toldur for causing such trouble. If either dies, it'll cause a lot of problems for everyone. And he wants a duel to the death. But he should be smarter than that... So he's probably forcing our King to decline.

Vladislav
2011-01-28, 03:13 PM
Dots
Stealth check to reach Godrick unnoticed: [roll0]
Everyone eyes and ears seem to be preoccupied elsewhere. No one pays attention to you as you approach Godrick.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-28, 03:45 PM
Dots

"Righteous soldier! Over here! It's Dots!", the little man appears behind Godrick, crouching low to the ground in the cover of a potted plant, and nearly whispering for no apparent reason.

He waves the warrior over, while keeping an eye out for any threats...

2xMachina
2011-01-29, 02:31 AM
Godrick is surprised to see Dots. "Err, hello." he then follows him.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-29, 07:31 AM
Dots

"Yes! Hello! But more important subject than 'hi'.", Dots peeks out of his hiding pot to eye the king, "Righteous soldier heard ambassador speech, yes? And he knows what it means?"

2xMachina
2011-01-29, 10:36 AM
It's just politics. Toldur blames all it's problems on Galadorn, then said that either king needs to die. Probably to force our King to snub his challenge.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-29, 11:19 AM
Dots

"Yes! But king won't refuse duel, will he? Ambassador accuse king of all those things so he must defend honor, or lose face! Dots just doesn't think he'll stand for the latter..."

Dots scans the room again to make sure they're not being watched. "...and, of course, if Toldur king devious as he seems, he'll be wanting to ensure his victory any way he can..."

2xMachina
2011-01-29, 01:57 PM
I don't know... If it were me, I'd ignore him. Even winning the duel should be troublesome. But I'm no nobility, so I can't say what they would do.

But yes, I agree that Toldur's King will try to ensure his victory. Not that we can do much about that.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-29, 02:38 PM
Dots

Dots seems to consider that for a moment. "...nothing we can do....yes...nothing we can do... Dots feels he's supposed to be doing -something- though..."

Suddenly he gets up, forgetting his invisible enemies. "For now, Dots will wait. Wait and watch. Wait and watch..."

And with that, he heads back to his corner, standing as still as before.

Vladislav
2011-01-29, 02:46 PM
The ambassador leaves the room unchallenged, and a densely-packed circle forms around the gauntlet he dropped. Many want to take a peek, but no one approaches closer than a few steps, as if it wasn't a harmless piece of metal but a venomous snake.

Several nobles and commanders of sufficiently high standing start arguing who deserves the honor of picking the gauntlet of behalf of the king, while the king himself shakes his head and walks away in the direction of his chambers. He motions Tomlin to follow. The dwarf, who was a vocal party to the above-mentioned argument, sends one last longing look at the gauntlet and follows.

One of the mid-level officers regains his bearings for sufficient time to utter, Honor guard dismissed.

--Lime--
2011-01-29, 03:28 PM
Bortan takes the chance, and starts walking to leave.

As he passes Daniel and Silas, he stops. Speaking much more to Daniel than the dwarf, he says:

"I'm off down the One-Eared Goblin for a few pints. Coming with?"

Deathslayer7
2011-01-29, 03:29 PM
Daniel

Normally Daniel probably wouldn't think better of it, but at the moment, that sounded like a really good plan. He nodded and walked beside Bortan, following him to the tavern. This has been such a hectic day.

Vladislav
2011-01-29, 08:19 PM
The road is dark at this time, but the full moon lights your way. The fields are empty, and with the exception of an occasional wolf howl in the distance, it's quiet, a sharp contrast to the castle you just left. Less than an hour later, you arrive at the Goblin's door. Judging by the sounds of drunken revelry coming from inside, seems like it's going to be a fun evening.

[[if any other PCs want to join, their presence can be easily retconned; and whoever wants to do anything else, let me know.]]

abadguy
2011-01-30, 11:37 PM
"Good chance to unwind", replied Silas as he followed closely behind the pair. "Hmmm I knew things were bad, but not this bad. Perhaps the Toldurians sensed they would lose this in the long run and decided to force the issue. A personal challenge? Not unheard of, but how very crass!"

2xMachina
2011-01-31, 02:17 AM
Godrick approaches Dots and asks, Hey, wanna go to the One-Eared Goblin?

Deathslayer7
2011-01-31, 02:45 AM
Daniel

Not really liking Silas, but intrigued bby his topic of conversation, Daniel engages. Interesting indeed! That was very bold of the messenger. I'm surprised he isn't in the dungeon. Although after such a statement, the nobles would question such a decision. What do you think the King will do? he asks, wondering for Silas' opinion.

abadguy
2011-01-31, 03:55 AM
"Mmmm, well, I suppose he could appoint a champion. Then again you must think about what exactly is Toldur trying to gain from the fight. Concessions? Tribute? Or do they have a successor to our throne in their pocket and this duel is a means to get him there? Possibilities are endless."

"Me, I just wanna finish this tour and head back home."

--Lime--
2011-01-31, 06:01 AM
Assuming that they don't have Queens. If not, obviously, she would be Queen and her husband the Baron would be Crown Prince. Will edit to fit. If I grew up in Galadorn, I assume I know that, but just in case, here's a knowledge check: [roll0]

Also, progress to the Goblin and getting the table can also be edited. It's not integral to the post. I assumed as well that we left as a group of 3, and that the others may or may not be following closely behind us. If they are, at least we (might) have a table to sit and chat at :smallwink:

If the ale arrives before the other three do, and abadguy and DeathSlayer are happy for the ale to arrive before they post, read the bit at the bottom in brackets. If the others arrive in the meantime or you guys want to wait for the beer and post in its absence, disregard it)

Just to be clear that I'm not godmodding :smallbiggrin:

As they enter the door, it's clear that there are quite a few people who are drinking - noisily. Bortan spots an unoccupied table; he had hoped for, but not expected one. Perhaps it's because a drinking song is in full swing and many of the patrons are on their feet swinging tankards about. Perhaps it's blind luck. As they sit down, Bortan sighs heavily, his chest falling with weariness.
"Well, the next successor should be Baron Blue Dale or whatever his name is. He might well have been bought off. Bortan calls a barmaid over and asks for round of three mugs of ale. "But personally? I hope he refuses and we can see some real action. I signed up to spill the blood of Galadorn's enemies, not trot around on a horse making sure the King's prey doesn't escape and escorting said enemies to the gates of the castle."

(When the beers arrive, Bortan pays for all of them - a whole 12cp! - and passes them to his two comrades. He says to Daniel, "That's congratulations and thanks for the boar," and to Silas, with a knowing but not hateful look, "and for standing around watching it.")

turbosloth
2011-01-31, 06:46 AM
Reaching the pub separately and a little after the group, Simon takes a nearby table by himself, once more with his back to the wall, and orders an ale which he drinks with an unusually thoughtful look on his face.
Wouldn't have thought that was where that was going. Since when do kings duel in person? Madness. Wonder what the politics behind it are... Ah well, I'm not a nobleman anymore, just a common soldier. If the King loses a duel then the new one will pay my wages as well as the old, I'm sure. Be great if we got a war out of it. The killing, the pillaging, the rape... He chuckles unpleasantly into his ale, and catching the eyes of those nearby who glance at him curiously grunts "Funny thought. Now mind your own business" before staring down into his mug and taking another sip.

Vladislav
2011-01-31, 09:50 AM
The six* of you settle down in the common room. Due to the large influx of customers, whoever wanted a table alone is about to be disappointed, as you're all forced to share a single table on uneven and wobbly legs.

Two of the regular barmaids are present, much to your relief, as there's no chance Hamelyne would be able to deal with such volume of work by herself. She's there too, looking completely exhausted. However, it is Mr. Hoggens who brings the drinks to your table personally.

So ... rumor travels fast in those parts, let me tell you. Heard you had a spot of bother in the castle?

Some things you should all know:
The king is a widower, wife having died at Joanna's birth. She and Madam Borret are his only children. The line of succession is a tad hazy. The names most often mentioned are the Baron/Baroness of Grey Marshes (?) and the king's nephew. In case anyone cares, the nephew is a half-elf, his mother was an elven noblewoman.

* assuming Godrick and Dots implement Godrick's idea.

Mysterious_A
2011-01-31, 10:59 AM
Dots

Having accepted Godrick's offer, more to get a change of scenery than anything else, Dots sits silently in one of the chairs. Still thinking of the evening's events, he fails to note Mr. Hoggen's arrival in any visible way.

turbosloth
2011-01-31, 08:15 PM
Simon continues to drink his beer in silence, ignoring both Mr Hoggen and his drinking companions, idly leering at the women in the room with his mind elsewhere.

--Lime--
2011-01-31, 08:59 PM
"Hey, weren't you three on the Honour Guard as well?" asks Bortan, when the other three sit at the table. "Hoggens, six more beers, and I'll tell you a tale. The king has been challenged to a personal duel with Toldur. I don't know if they'll go through the rigmarole of appointing champions, but the Ambassador seemed pretty clear that it was to be two kings, toe-to-toe." he chugs down the last of the ale, and hands Hoggens his empty cup, clapping him on the shoulder. "...at least from where I was standing. Now, how about that next round?"

Vladislav
2011-01-31, 09:15 PM
Whoa. That's even beyond the usual level of crazy one can expect from Lucas. He's one crazy son of a Hellhound, let me tell you that. I heard he rides at the head of his army into every battle personally. Wonder how he's still alive and what metal he's made of. That's a great story though ... next round's on me, boys!

--Lime--
2011-01-31, 10:06 PM
"Thanks, Hoggens. But remember, in battle, it is not so much your metal as your mettle that matters."

It doesn't occur to Bortan that a homophone joke might be hard to get. When he'd heard it first, a great deal of explanation had been necessary, but now that he understood it, it was his favourite saying of all. He probably prized it so highly because it had been so hard for him to get in the first place, but instead of dwelling on the matter, Bortan turns back to the table.

"So I can see from your crests that you're fellow soldiers, but was it you on the Honour Guard tonight?"

2xMachina
2011-02-01, 03:34 AM
Godrick drinks silently, listening to the talk at the table.

Vladislav
2011-02-01, 09:56 AM
The crowd at the bar is rather boisterous tonight, and the music is louder than usual. Soon, the lads and lasses from the village break into dancing, fueled by generous amounts of alcohol. You are busy either with your own thoughts, or watching the dancefloor, when ...

Hi. Enjoying yourselves?

Rather unceremoniously and without asking for permission, Olivia grabs a chair and lands next to you.

I believe you know Tomlin and his gang. She nods at the Dwarven commander and three of his subordinates, standing behind her, arms crossed on their chest. Can't tell you how glad we are to find all six of you here. Mind if we have a chat?

Mysterious_A
2011-02-01, 01:11 PM
Dots

Dots raises his eyes at Olivia's intrusion, clearly surprised. "Beautician! You again.... and... -soldiers-? Dots doesn't understand, why soldiers?"

Deathslayer7
2011-02-01, 01:30 PM
Daniel

Daniel shifts nervously at seeing the Dwarf again in such a short amount of time. You are welcome to join us. he says, but I fear this table might not be big enough for 12. Throughout all this he has been sipping slowly at his beer. Not fast enough to get drunk. He didn't like getting drunk.

Vladislav
2011-02-01, 01:47 PM
The dwarves cross their arms on their chests, clearly indicating they'd rather remain standing.

So, Olivia starts, leaning forward, her low voice barely able to overcome the loud music, here's what I know. Around noon, three of you sit here, in this very room, and hear some kind of singing. Beautiful voice, by the way, right? But I digress. Not few hours later, a certain emissary arrives at the gates, accompanied, as my good friend Tomlin was able to find out, by the other three of you. Then, said emissary complains loudly about a runaway ... baroness, was it, Tomlin?

Countess, Ma'am.

Right. Runaway countess. And he says that "according to his best information", she's in the kingdom. Is that was he said, Tomlin?

Sure did, Ma'am.

And now, all six of you are here, together. Too good for a bloody coincidence. So, who cares to tell me where did his so-called "best information" come from?

2xMachina
2011-02-01, 02:07 PM
Godrick says, ""Well, if you're implying we told him, I doubt he prepared that accusation in the short time since we last met you.", waving his hand to indicate the other 2 who were in the tavern the last time.

"If I have to guess, it's that he heard it before coming all the way over here. I'd say the "demands" needed Toldur's approval, and not something for him to spew as he like.", he continues, putting a sarcastic tone to the word "demands".

In his mind, he thinks, Huh, her saying that... pretty much told us where the countess is. The dwarves must be the silencers if we prove traitors. Even if we weren't, we may know too much, so either they'd really trust us, or silence us regardless. Else, maybe, I'm over thinking this.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-01, 02:46 PM
Daniel

Daniel gets red in the face at the implications they implied. Calmly putting his mug down, he stares straight at the lady, a small smile on his face.

So what you are saying is that after Bortan here was nearly gored to death by a boar, and sometime during our patrol of the forest whilst the King was hunting, we managed to contact these three who were, as you said, in this bar. In addition, are you saying that after we made contact with them, we met the emissary and told them about it even though we work for the King?

He seems to get angry at that. The King has done far more for me than any Toldur ambassador ever could! starting to raise his voice. And you come in here saying I'm a traitor!?

Vladislav
2011-02-01, 03:11 PM
Oooh, you're in trouble now! Officer, those soldiers beat us up for no reason, and ...

Simon, Godrick and Dots recognize the drunken freckled-face speaker as one of the men they fought earlier today

Get away from here before your face gets even uglier. Without as much as turning his head, Tomlin cuts off the man mid-word, and the latter immediately retreats, grumbling. Tomlin then addresses you again.

Well, someone must have told him something. I know Ignat, he's a pain in the neck, and almost as crazy as his master, but he wouldn't lie.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-01, 03:17 PM
Daniel

I'm afraid I can't tell you anything because I don't know anything, but I think this is a conversation that we should have behind closed doors. he said, calming down a bit.

Mysterious_A
2011-02-01, 04:15 PM
Dots

Dots seems thoughtful through all of this, saying nothing but processing it all in his mind. Finally, after Daniel's outburst, he breaks out and speaks.

"...of course. Dots ashamed he didn't see before....but, of course...", he says, then leaning closer to the table to whisper, "Countess Toldur -is- Toldur singer lady! And you -are- hiding her! ....aren't you?"

turbosloth
2011-02-01, 07:37 PM
Having said nothing sofar, Simon leans forward suddenly and catches Olivia's eye, growling low in his throat to keep his words from the tavern but not from those at the table. "I don't personally give a damn about politics lady" he growls threateningly "But I'm going to give you this warning once and once only. The next time you insinuate that I'm a traitor, you'd best grow eyes in the back of your head and learn to keep them open while you're sleeping" having said his piece, he sits back and takes another swig of ale, then goes to stand up to make an aggressive move toward the drunken man who attempted to interfere earlier. Upon being asked to sit, however, he bows his head respectfully and says "Yes Sir" before taking his seat again.

Have to deal with the insolent little blighter later...

Vladislav
2011-02-01, 07:45 PM
Simon, as you attempt to stand up, you find a gauntlet-clad dwarven hand touching your shoulder. Gently. [[Not an actual touch attack or grapple]]

Please remain seated until this is sorted.

--Lime--
2011-02-01, 08:05 PM
"We're scapegoats, obviously. I know bugger all about the nobles and royals, care even less about politics, and to be honest, if we hadn't challenged and escorted the Toldurian ambassador, we'd be in trouble for failing in our duties and be accused of showing so little respect to the diplomat that it was us who forced him into making the challenge. I think you're being a little harsh, so get off our backs, okay?

No, honestly, this is Bortan being diplomatic. It amounts to: "You're stupid and ungrounded in your accusation, and evil enough to make up what doesn't suit you."

Don't hold out any hope on it working :smallwink:

2xMachina
2011-02-02, 02:54 AM
Godrick says, Who's Ignat anyway? And why are you narrowing the investigation on us 6? It might be a Toldur merchant drinking here, and recognizing the lady.

turbosloth
2011-02-02, 07:19 AM
Ignoring Olivia completely (and pointedly) Simon turns to Tomlin and says in a formal tone of voice "Sir, I can faithfully report zero communication between myself, Godrick, the servant, and these three men from before we entered the tavern this afternoon until after the honor guard was dismissed this evening. If you would like further information I am happy to report for a full debriefing at your command. However, with all due respect, I would like to register that I find being questioned in a tavern by some goddamn civilian both irregular and highly insulting sir. I apologise for speaking so freely, but honestly what the **** does a hairdresser have to do with this?"

Despite the curses and hostility, Simon appears (and in fact is) one hundred percent respectful toward Tomlin, staring levelly into his eyes up until the end of 'with all due respect' then delivering the rest in an extremely insulting tone of voice straight at Olivia, despite it being addressed to Tomlin. He glances back at Tomlin for the 'I apologise', and as soon as he's done speaking he looks back to him once more, awaiting orders and ignoring Olivia as if she were a piece of wood.

Vladislav
2011-02-02, 09:17 AM
In case you don't know, boy, Olivia's more than a hairdresser. Let's just say she has the King's ear. Tomlin says.

Not literally of course, Olivia hastens to add. I'm very safe with my scissors.

Aye. Anyways, he nods at Daniel, it's true we better speak in a more private place. Only sensible thing I heard from you lot yet. Olivia, is the room upstairs still available?

Yes.

Fine, come then, all of you. And no funny business, we're watching you.

Mysterious_A
2011-02-02, 01:01 PM
Dots

Dots decides not to argue with the armored dwarf. He gets up, only slightly hesitant, and makes to follow.

"Dots innocent until proven otherwise! ...he'll go, though. To prove his innocence, yes!"

--Lime--
2011-02-02, 02:01 PM
Bortan sighs again. Things didn't seem to be heading to war, and all he really wants to do is get out of the tavern on his own. Still, he supposes, quickest way is probably to deal with all this first.

Bortan follows Tomlin wherever he leads, and hopes there is enough time left afterwards to sample the local wenches.

turbosloth
2011-02-02, 10:33 PM
Simon stands and leaves after Tomlin, still pointedly ignoring Olivia

Vladislav
2011-02-03, 09:52 AM
You are led into a large vacant room on the second floor. The bed is made, the floor is clean, and the room looks like it's ready to accept guests.

Right. Says Tomlin, standing in the middle of the room, so you've all seen this ambassador insulting his king with his insolent and made-up accusations. He was right about one thing though.

That countess, Olivia sighs, she did take refuge here. Not the fault of our most pious King, of course, she was running from the tyranny of her own lord. And His Majesty was too generous to deny her and turn her back at once. And now we're all in a pickle, to use a diplomatic term.

I'd really like to know how did he get his information. Tomlin grumbles, then remembers something. Also would like to know what was that peasant going about down there, you attacking them?

--Lime--
2011-02-03, 10:08 AM
Bortan sits on the bed, causing the mattress to sag drastically in the middle.

"I suppose we could torture the information about his information out of the ambassador," he pauses and nonchalantly scratches his head, thinking that it wouldn't be long before he needed to shave it again. "Effective, quick, and would probably lead to war, instantly solving the dilemma about the duel." Bortan shrugs. "I mean, come on, war is where all this is headed anyway..."

Bortan has distracted himself thinking about the multitude of ways in which a man's spirit can be broken simply through physical pain, and it is with great difficulty that he manages to remember that he's addressing Tomlin, at which point he adds "...sir."

Deathslayer7
2011-02-03, 10:14 AM
Daniel

Daniel raised the mug to his lips and finished downing the rest of it. He had a feeling he was going to need it. He got up with the rest and followed. As they went up, an idea struck him.

There was this drow we met at the carriage before the gates. He begged for gold coins at which the ambassador gave him some. Do you think he could have slipped him the information?

Vladislav
2011-02-03, 10:54 AM
Olivia raises an eyebrow. A drow? Do you remember exactly what they said to each other?

--Lime--
2011-02-03, 11:03 AM
"No, I didn't hear what they said."

Okay, maybe this is quicker, thinks Bortan, but it isn't half as fun...

Mysterious_A
2011-02-03, 11:19 AM
Dots

"Hm. A drow, says martial-man? We... we saw drow earlier, too. Elf-man was being chased from village by angry mob, and Dots dispersed it with his cunning..."

Suddenly something seems to occur to Dots, as his expression changes. "Yes...yes, that is possible. If Elf-man was actually Toldur spy, he could have come to village to find Countess, passing information to Ambassador during gold-giving. And mob was just unexpected occurance we saved Elf-man from..."

Dots lowers his head, a bit saddened from the perspective of having saved an enemy. After a moment he adds. "Elf-man didn't look like spy, though..."

Deathslayer7
2011-02-03, 01:00 PM
Daniel

There wasn't much. He asked for gold coins which the ambassador tossed on the ground. The Drow then picked it up greedily. But who knows, during that time, he could have slipped him a note or something.

diplo: [roll0]

Vladislav
2011-02-03, 01:29 PM
Do try to remember exactly what they said to each other. It might be important.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-03, 02:21 PM
Daniel

Daniel shakes his head no. I wasn't thinking at the time that he might have been a spy. I was more preoccupied that he might start trouble, and I was watching out for that. The best I can recall is that he asked for gold coins and went up to the window. Whatever they exchanged I cannot recall. I'm sorry.

--Lime--
2011-02-03, 02:48 PM
"I told you, I heard nothing. I thought he might be a highwayman or part of a gang of thieves, so I was busy watching the surrounding woodland for any signs of trouble."

Mysterious_A
2011-02-03, 03:57 PM
Dots

"Hm. Soldiers didn't hear anything. Unlikely anyone else could have. The way Dots sees it, the only way to know of Elf-man and Ambassador's interactions would be to ask one of them. Of course, approaching Ambassador could prove dangerous, and Elf-man may already be far from here...

turbosloth
2011-02-03, 09:51 PM
Scowling about not being able to get a word in edgewise, Simon finally manages to cut Dots, Bortan and Daniel off to reply to Tomlin's earlier question

"We had an altercation with a mob of peasants earlier sir. The man downstairs was one of them. They chased the Drow in question out of the woods and prepared to hang him, claiming he had stolen a chicken. When we attempted to refer it to the proper authorities they attacked us, and myself and Godrick dispersed the mob forcefully - I have no idea what the servant is babbling about when he says it was his 'cunning' that did the trick, but he doesn't seem to be all there, if you know what I mean. Unfortunately the servant encouraged the Drow to leave the area before we had a chance to question him and determine whether he should be placed in custody."

Simon seems resigned to Olivia's presence at this point, but is still ignoring her and directing all his remarks at Tomlin.

Vladislav
2011-02-04, 12:06 AM
Olivia listens to your testimonies, tapping her fingers nervously. Finally, she addresses the officer. So, what do you say, are they smart enough to come up with this kind of story on their own?

I don't think so, he shrugs at you, no offence, lads, I mean it in a good way, then turns back to Olivia. Daniel and Godrick here, they're as loyal to the king as any of us, and Dots was living the castle for all his life, he doesn't know anything else. Silas, I can vouch for as fellow dwarf. So they're all alright.

I counted four. Olivia retorts coldly. What about ...

I said, they are all alright. It must have been the drow. Thugs and deceivers, pox upon their houses above and below ground. Must have slipped him a message in code.

Olivia paces around the room for another minute, then simply leaves without a word.

Fine, be that way. Tomlin says to the closed door, then turns back to you. Troops dismissed. Room's already paid for, so whoever finds this to his taste, can stay. Be back in the castle for morning duty, SOBER. And don't get into any fights.

turbosloth
2011-02-04, 01:47 AM
Once dismissed, Simon returns downstairs. He shoots a brief annoyed look in the direction of the drunken man from before, but Tomlin's parting words are still rattling around his brain Commander said not to get into any fights... best listen to him. Of course, I can't help it if they start something with me. Here's hoping.

Grabbing a beer, he stands alone leaning his back against the wall and continues drinking, clearly not interested in any further conversation with the other soldiers.

2xMachina
2011-02-04, 10:31 AM
Godrick hangs around the inn sipping the occasional ale. He wonders if anything interesting will happen. No real point to return to the castle so early.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-04, 11:24 AM
Daniel

Daniel watches Olivia leave, not really caring. As Tomlin dismisses them, he says. Thank you, sir. But I suppose I'll head back now. The night was kind of ruined for me. Goodnight everyone. Daniel says.

Mysterious_A
2011-02-04, 12:03 PM
Dots

Seeing nothing else for him in the tavern, Dots edges out into the evening air. A lone sigh paves his way as he walks. He doesn't make for the castle right away, though... Instead he wanders, and that is strange for Dots. Dots has wandered a lot recently, however...

Dots is a servant of the castle. All his life, he has been a servant of the castle. He has fixed. He has cleaned. He has run errands, never questioning his tasks, and never ever refusing what was asked of him. It wasn't a bad life, as far as he could tell. But recently he wondered... was it the life he wanted? Maybe not... but how could he know? It was, after all, the only one he'd ever had...

Dots sees a nice little spot in a dark alley....

Perfect.

Crouching there, alone with his thoughts, almost like an animal. The castle's little monkey... Yes. That fits. A pet monkey was what he was. Obedient, insignificant...and only good for a laugh, of course...

Dots has been a servant of the castle all his life. He has fixed. He has cleaned. He has served. But now he feels the need for something...more.

Strange events are happening in the Plessie. Strange events had happened before, though, and Dots was less than indifferent to them... perhaps this time would be different. And wouldn't that be something? The castle's monkey figuring out a Toldurian plot and saving all of Galadorn?

Dots almost smiles from his dark alley. He looks up to the sky and remembers the day's events... he did like helping Elf-man, that was true... he might have been a spy, but at that moment he was just a person. And no person should be treated like that.... no person should be treated like an animal...

....Maybe that was it. Maybe that's what he was supposed to be doing. Saving. Helping those who can't help themselves... maybe. But... that for later. Nothing Dots can do now... but, yes... later...

Dots gets up and heads to the castle. He may not know yet what he'll do, but he knows it's not what he's done so far. Perhaps, someday soon, the castle will awaken without him. Dots wonders if castle will miss him...

Wall of Text!

Maybe someone will play Dots some violins...

Vladislav
2011-02-05, 12:32 AM
Those who drink in the common room,
Hamelyne is nowhere to be seen, and only the regular barmaids serve you, much to your relief. Mr. Hoggens approaches you and comments, glad that's over, was driving me crazy, this business.

Those who went directly to the castle, you walk briskly up the familiar moonlit road. Ahead of you, you see silhoettes of two women, walking to the castle as well, albeit more slowly; they seem engaged in conversation. You recognize the voices of Olivia and Hamelyne, but it's a bit too far to hear what they're saying.

turbosloth
2011-02-06, 03:08 AM
The drunken peasant from earlier approaches Simon as he stands drinking. Simon smiles grimly and takes a sip of beer before setting it aside.
Here we go... this should be fun.

"There you are you bastard. Not so tough now without the big bastard and his chain or the sneaky wee prick to protect you, are you! you want a go?" he demands.

Simon glances at the man's club and raises an eyebrow before drawing both his weapons and moving casually off the wall, holding them relaxed by his sides and out of sight of most of the bar for the moment. "You know, most people starting pub brawls with soldiers have the sense to at least keep it to fistycuffs. At least that way all you'd stand to lose is a few teeth. I'm going to give you a slow count of three to put the club down and move away before I cut you down"

"Oh yea? Reckon you can, huh?" The man demands, raising his club threateningly. He is about to continue when Simon suddenly says "Three" and lashes out.

Simon stabs forward towards the mans throat with his shortsword at the same time as his booted foot lashes out to take him in the knee. He easily dodges the mans wild drunken counter swing, but in doing so his own strike is thrown out and the man stumbles backward but maintains his footing. Seeing the flash of Simon's blade the crowd rapidly draws back, leaving the two men circling in a wide ring.

The peasant lurches forward to strike again, but Simon is ready. Striking low with his handaxe he buries it in the mans calf, eliciting a cry of pain and throwing the man to the ground, where Simon stabs downward with his shortsword and slams it through the mans shoulder, pinning him to the floor. The man groans in agony as Simon steps back, but the violent soldier isn't done yet. As the main attempts to regain his feet Simon swings with his handaxe and smashes the back of the blade into the man's jaw, breaking it and spraying teeth all over the room. Eyes glazed, drooling blood and spit all over his chest, the man appears done. Simon lowers his weapons a moment too early, however, in time to catch the last, drunken flail of the mans club across his face. The force of the blow overbalances the man and he falls headfirst into a chairback, knocking him out cold and ending the fight.

Cursing under his breath, Simon feels his tender face where the club smashed into his cheek. Eyes dark he spits on the fallen man and stomps on his torso several times "Little ****ER!" he yells venomously "Learn your goddamn place!"

Staggering back to his beer as the mans friends arrive to pull him off and drag the man away, he sits down and takes a swig, rubbing at his bruised face. "Any of the rest of you try anything you're not leaving here breathing" he warns flatly, before finishing his beer and ordering another.

Mysterious_A
2011-02-06, 07:05 AM
That was an awesome barfight. :smallcool:

Dots

Walking back to the castle, Dots is surprised to see Olivia and the waitress from earlier in the tavern walking just a short distance ahead of him.

Ohhhhh, but Dots can't eavesdrop! Eavesdropping bad! Couldn't do that.... could Dots?

Dots turns both ways to make sure no one's watching him, and then draws into the cover of the night.

Maybe just a little bit...

Skulking in the darkness, he attempts to approach the two women unseen...

Stealth!

[roll0]

Deathslayer7
2011-02-06, 12:33 PM
Daniel

Daniel sees Dots run off into the bushes, and sighs. Trouble just seemed to keep following him. He goes off into the side of the bushes after Dots but doesnt follow. Dots. Come back. he says going after him but very quietly. He doesn't do it very well though as he stumbles through the bushes sloppily, the alcohol obviously getting to him.

Stealth [roll0]

edit: lolololol

Mysterious_A
2011-02-06, 03:05 PM
Dots

Dots ignores Daniel's call, making his way through the darkness as if he were a shadow himself. A shadow with a really bad smell.

Vladislav
2011-02-06, 03:14 PM
Dots:

Olivia and Hamelyne are discussing some kind of travel, so it seems.

Hamelyne: Are you sure this is the right idea? We just arrived, and now on the road again ...
Olivia: Don't worry, our most pious King is sure you will be in good hands.... shh ... did you hear that?

She turns in the direction where a twig snapped under Daniel's boot. For a moment, she's examining the treeline very carefully.

Hamelyne: This place spooks me out. I'd rather stayed at the inn.
Olivia: Let's go.

They turn and walk quickly in the direction of the castle.

Mysterious_A
2011-02-06, 03:52 PM
Dots

Seeing Olivia and Hamelyne get away, Dots turns to Daniel.

"Martial-man! You almost gave us away!", says the little man, still half-hidden in the darkness, "...At least Dots got some intel, though.... It would seem that the waitress who is very bad at waitressing is not actually waitress at all! If she is connected to beautician, and 'works' at Countess' location, it is logical that she would also be connected to Countess, the proximity to her indicating a condition of companion, or servant... Which means when waitress say 'we now on the road again' she speaks for both herself and Countess! ...meaning Countess' location compromised, and King moving her for safety....."

--Lime--
2011-02-06, 05:39 PM
So to be clear, Bortan goes off alone, does not stay at the inn, and is on the castle path way after the others are gone. All validated with GM.

By the time the fight breaks out in the inn, Bortan has left and slipped into the darkness of the night. He has left just after Dots, and purposely goes the opposite direction to the servant. Skulking around the seedier quarters, Bortan spends an hour or two seeking out a plain girl, one he hadn't seen before whom nobody would likely know, and lacing her palm with gold.

As the two head to where Bortan says his quarters are, he strikes up idle conversation to put the girl at ease.
"So, seen much business tonight?" he asks, in an offhand manner.
"No, I'm new to town meself, came out this way from the countryside there. Me sister has the weaving from me mother, so there's nothing there for me, and I'll be damned if I'll be shovelling pig mire all me life."
Perfect, thinks Bortan, A nobody. Nobody to come following her, and nobody to really notice she's gone in the first place. Best thing about these ones that flit about the country lookin' fer something. Nobody bats an eye if they skip town in the middle of the night.

Passing a suitably dark alley, Bortan places his hand reassuringly on her shoulder.
"Just down here," he says in a calm voice.
"You sure, mister? I don' think anyone lives down here..."
"It's a shortcut, love," he replies, thinking on his feet. "I'm only paying for the hour I spend enjoying myself. If you want to waste half an hour without pay, that's up to you."
At this, the woman takes his hand and strokes his arm, cooing,
"Well, it's dark and scary, but I'm sure a big, strong soldier like you will protect me..."
Bortan almost spits in disgust. Bah, putting a tip before her own self. he muses, I'm probably doing her a favour with a quick an' painless end to it all...

They disappear into the darkness, and minutes later, Bortan re-emerges to check that nobody's about. It's well past the witching hour by now, when the taverns are still alive, and in the deep of the night, all quiet and still. Farmers would be up in a few hours, merchants in not an hour more. The streets are empty, and this suits Bortan perfectly. Slicing a lock of her flaxen hair as a keepsake, he breathes in her scent as he lifts her onto his shoulder. It instantly returns him to the moment with his hands around her throat, watching the spark drain out of her eyes, illuminated in the bright moon. At the time, it was what he needed. He would not have let go for the offer of the world not a javelin in his side. Now, though...

...now it was all regret. There would be panic too, as when he started, had he not undertaken this release so many times before. She had gone silently, and now, he supposed, trying to reason what he had done, the gods would at least be appeased. Perhaps they had pushed me to it... he lies to himself as the church bell strikes three, but deep down inside he knows that there is only himself to blame, and no-one to absolve him. Carrying the burden on his shoulders, both morally and literally, Bortan heads to the river.

The first time, he had dropped his victim into the water from a bridge in the fog, but the splash had alerted the town guard and it was only the mist and his flight of foot that let him escape. This time, he trudged down to the river's edge, weighted her corset and petticoat with rocks, and waded out into the black water. She sank silently into the murky silt, and Bortan was sure that he had done it once again; that he had once again done it for the last time. After this, there were to be no more. He was to wait for war - after all, isn't that why he'd taken a commission in the King's army, and suffered the bullying of boot camp?

Being sure to keep to soft ground so that his wet footprints did not show up, by the time Bortan arrived at the gravel path back to the castle, the soles of his feet were dry, and he slipped silently into his bunk in the barrack house, dreams haunted by the same eyes fading in which he had taken so much delight.

2xMachina
2011-02-07, 02:55 AM
Godrick heads back to the castle before it's too late. There's work tomorrow after all.

abadguy
2011-02-07, 03:03 AM
Silas heeds the words of his dwarven superior and heads to bed early at the inn.

Vladislav
2011-02-07, 11:40 AM
[[whoever is injured, can recover 2 hp during the night]]

By morning, you all gather at the castle. You CO takes one look at Simon's bruised face and shakes his head. Couldn't resist, could you? Well, no more free healing for you, scullywag, I'm not giving you a pass to the infirmary today. Anyway, someone here wants to see you.

You're led into a meeting room, where Olivia, Tomlin, and Galeus Valle are waiting for you.

As you already know, Tomlin starts, Our most pious King has been embarrased by the runaway Countess taking refuge in our kingdom. After she was spotted at the inn, we've moved her to a safer place, but it's not a permanent solution. What we'd really like is to return her to Toldur and get it over with, but ...

But, Olivia takes over, our Lord the King is much too chivalrous to betray her such. So, a compromise was worked out.

You six are to take the countess to Czernobor. It is nominally a province of Toldur, but it's semi-independent, and controlled by a powerful priest, known for his fairness. So on one hand, we are returning her to Toldur, sort of, but on the other hand, not betraying the trust she placed in our King.

Questions?

Mysterious_A
2011-02-07, 12:36 PM
Dots

At first, Dots was apprehensive. Leaving? That fast? It sort of seemed like he was getting kicked out of castle...

He had already planned to leave, though... So, pretty soon he overcame that. And what was left was a Dots that could barely keep himself from hopping at the perspective of a start to his adventures.

There is one question he'd like to ask, but he dreads the answer. So, instead he keeps quiet and waits to see if anyone else will have something to say.

--Lime--
2011-02-07, 01:03 PM
Bortan speaks up after an awkward silence. He feels like everyone's eyes are starting to twitch in his direction, wondering why nobody's saying anything. To smooth things over, Bortan blurts:
"How are we travelling, Sir? A carriage is conspicuous, but the best protection for the Countess if we're ambushed, and we can still keep her face hidden.

Now they're just looking at him more, and nobody's filling the pause!

"On the other hand, we could take a farm cart and a couple of horses. If we're allowed to take the crests off our garments, of course. O-or did you have something already in mind, sir?

It's that feeling where it's turned from filling the silence to not being able to finish a sentence. Bortan decides to bail, feeling like he's made it obvious something's wrong, when they're actually pretty much the same sort of questions he was asking before yesterday's patrol. Even so, he shuts his mouth and awaits an answer.

abadguy
2011-02-07, 08:19 PM
Mmmm yes, what the half orc said surprisingly made sense. This calls for discretion .... as much discretion as six well armed travellers could provide. How about our cover being a merchant caravan? We would make passable bodyguards.

turbosloth
2011-02-07, 11:02 PM
"Why don't you all shut your traps and leave the planning to the superior officer?" Simon voices gruffly. "In case you hadn't got the hang of this 'military' thing yet, we're here to follow orders, not come up with them. Sorry for interrupting sir." he adds with a respectful nod to Tomlin "I'm sure you were just about to tell us what our travel arrangements were."

Deathslayer7
2011-02-07, 11:18 PM
Daniel smiles and remains silent, laughing on the inside. None of them knew how to keep their traps shut he thought. He waited silently to listen to Tomlin.

Vladislav
2011-02-07, 11:21 PM
Olivia replies, we had Her Highness' carriage prepared, but now that you mention it ... a trade caravan will have less of the proverbial bull's-eye painted on it. I think we can arrange something, a wagon perhaps.

Her Highness won't be happy at the downgrade. Tomlin says.

Olivia shrugs. It's for her own good. I'm sure these fine folk here can keep her good company. Speaking of company, Galeus, which way did that ambassador depart? We need to make sure they don't run into him on the way. That'd be embarrasing ...

Galeus, in a grave tone, normally reserved for notifying people their dog has died, says, He had some kind of device against mind-reading. Those darn Toldur artificers...

What!? Tomlin is almost ready to grab the wizard by the throat.

However .... the wizard continues after a suitably dramatic pause, unfortunately, they seem to have run out of budget, and his carriage driver wasn't similarly protected. They went directly south, to catch a ship to Toldur.

Bastard, Tomlin breathes a sigh of relief, you had me on edge there. So, where were we? Yes, a merchant caravan. Dots, boy, you were about to say something?

abadguy
2011-02-07, 11:28 PM
Silas stares at the bruise-covered human.

"I'm sorry you were deemed too stupid and unimportant for your opinions to matter and were only good for blindly following orders. We Forest Wardens were trained from birth to defend the land and to act independently and intelligently, as Lord Tomlin here would appreciate."

"If you would like to add to your bruise collection, I'll be happy to oblige after this briefing"

turbosloth
2011-02-08, 02:17 AM
Simon glances flatly at Silas, but does not reply verbally for the moment. As soon as he is sure Tomlin and Olivia's attention is elsewhere, however, he draws a thumb menacingly across his throat and mouthes "Don't ever be alone" silently in the dwarf's direction.

--Lime--
2011-02-08, 03:48 AM
Bortan makes a note to himself to remind the brown-noser that when a commanding officer ends with "Questions?" he probably expects to get them. And also to point out that he himself had not so much made a suggestion as asked what the plans were. So what if Bortan had voiced his thoughts aloud? Simon had done nothing different to that in his outburst, and indeed, what Bortan said had been taken on board by the C/O.

How else are you to show that you can grasp the tactical angle as well as the force aspect? After all,, thought Bortan, I wouldn't mind a promotion. The freedom to roam when I eventually set foot on the battlefield will be worth it all.

It seems that Bortan has forgotten that his thoughts had been voiced out of nervousness; but his ingrained pride and the familiarity of anger are powerful drugs. For now, at least, he will stay silent, but it is unlikely that he'll let it slide.

2xMachina
2011-02-08, 05:06 AM
Godrick voices up, We do not actually know where the ambassador is though. We can only assume where he is. If he is cunning, this information could be just a ruse. There's also the beggar, or whoever the Toldur spy is.

We should add more layers of protection, perhaps sending a carriage with a fake another way. And some disguise for the real one wouldn't be amiss either.

Mysterious_A
2011-02-08, 12:47 PM
Dots

Dots was just about to reply to Tomlin, when new hostilities arose, and the (very polite) conversation continued it's way...

He takes this as another opportunity to be silent. Yes, that usually works well...

Vladislav
2011-02-08, 01:57 PM
Godrick, I believe you're attributing to Sir Ignat more deviousness than he's physically capable of. You think he lied to his driver they're going south with the foresight that the latter will have his mind read? Nah. I know some people capable of such multi-layered ruse, and he's not one of them.

Decoy's a good idea though. Olivia says thoughtfully. I fancy a carriage trip to the capital. Could be a fine outing.

Yeah, maybe you can buy some clothes. Galeus says, feigning disgust at the hairdresser's peasant garb.

--Lime--
2011-02-08, 02:12 PM
To Tomlin, Bortan says helpfully, "With all due respect, Sir, I think that you may be underestimating him."
Continuing in the same vein, he turns to Galeus:
"You mentioned wards against mind-reading. If he had come so prepared, why would he neglect the driver?"

Since the two don't react unfavourably, Bortan continues:
"The most natural response would be to say they were headed south, while they head North. I suggest we head out of town to the East or West."

Vladislav
2011-02-08, 02:21 PM
You see, Galeus says, Toldur people, especially the ones that hang about Lucas' court, they're not like us. To them, there is nobility, and there's everyone else. It's just not natural for someone born and bred in this environment to think of a carriage driver as a person with thoughts. In fact, forgetting to protect him from mind reading is just the most natural thing for them to do.

Out most pious King is not like that. He judges people by their merit. I mean, he's the kind of monarch that can meet an uneducated witch at some kind of putrid swamp and decide she has what it takes to become his closest adviser.... no offense meant to present company.

None taken. Olivia says calmly. But we will check the coast is clear before sending you east.

--Lime--
2011-02-08, 02:24 PM
Bortan simply nods, and for the time being ducks back out of the conversation into his own thoughts, mostly centred on last night.

Deathslayer7
2011-02-08, 02:49 PM
When do we leave? Daniel asks, piping up.

abadguy
2011-02-08, 09:04 PM
Silas grunts. "Never such thing as too much subterfuge. If our spy theory is correct, isn't it possible that those spies are watching all the roads right now and seeing which direction we are headed? There is such a thing as sending. We should send out not just one but four carriages in all four cardinal directions to confuse any watchers." Silas pauses as a sudden delicious thought rose in his mind. "This being such a perilous mission, I suppose we would be able to equip ourselves a little better as well?"

Vladislav
2011-02-09, 09:32 AM
You leave tonight. We want you to put as much ground between you and the castle by morning, Olivia says. I'll arrange the decoys. Can I trust you two to take care of equipment?

Tomlin and Galeus nod. Right lads, any special requests? Mind you, coffers are rather tight.