PDA

View Full Version : quick Q about create magic tattoo and CL

bot
2011-01-13, 05:03 PM
Hey all,

I'm currently playing a 12th lvl shadowcraft mage with earth spell feat - i only just realized that it also gave a boost in CL (big mistake). Just wanted to be sure, but am i correct that if a heighten a silent image from 0th to 2nd the +1 in CL from Earth Spell feat, would make me able to do the 13th lvl stuff in Create Magic Tattoo?? (got 1st lvl racial sub lvl to make silent 0th)

Thanks for any answers

Keld Denar
2011-01-13, 05:09 PM
Yes. Thats exactly how it would work.

bot
2011-01-13, 05:19 PM
Yes. Thats exactly how it would work.

Super thanks.

Btw - in several threads about spells for a shadowcraft mage i've seen unseen servant listed because its conj(creation), however wouldn't it inherntly fail all the time because objects auto succeed saves? Or should i roll for 10% procent chance for success because it's 1st lvl?

JaronK
2011-01-13, 10:55 PM
I don't think Unseen Servant causes saves in unattended objects, and objects don't auto pass saves anyway.

And yes, Create Magic Tattoo is amazing on SCMs for exactly this reason (and the lack of material costs, of course).

JaronK

Darrin
2011-01-14, 07:52 AM
Btw - in several threads about spells for a shadowcraft mage i've seen unseen servant listed because its conj(creation), however wouldn't it inherntly fail all the time because objects auto succeed saves? Or should i roll for 10% procent chance for success because it's 1st lvl?

I'm not sure what you're trying to do to the unseen servant, but from the SRD:

Saving Throws: Nonmagical, unattended items never make saving throws. They are considered to have failed their saving throws, so they always are affected by spells. An item attended by a character (being grasped, touched, or worn) makes saving throws as the character (that is, using the character’s saving throw bonus).

Magic items always get saving throws. A magic item’s Fortitude, Reflex, and Will save bonuses are equal to 2 + one-half its caster level. An attended magic item either makes saving throws as its owner or uses its own saving throw bonus, whichever is better.

I'm not sure an unseen servant would count as an object. It's a spell effect, a "shapeless" (whatever that means) force effect. It's mindless and not a creature, so assuming it has some kind of physical manifestation, then I guess it counts as an object. Since it's magical, it gets saves based on its caster level. What exactly are you trying to do to the unseen servant?

dextercorvia
2011-01-14, 08:00 AM
He thinks that a Shadow Unseen Servant will make its save to disbelieve itself.

Keld Denar
2011-01-14, 10:33 AM
Oh great, now you're gonna go and give your Unseen Servant an existential crisis!