PDA

View Full Version : Powers of the gods / servants of the gods

Dyllan
2011-01-13, 08:42 PM
This will be a two part question. First, a little background. I'm using the Grayhawk pantheon (more or less), running 3.5.

The BBEG is a Doppleganger Cleric of Syrull, goddess of deceit, named Chell. She tricked the party into finding an artifact for her, and has been using it to imprison gods and take over their power (and their job of providing power to their servants). She's impersonating these gods to their believers, so nobody (except the party) know's what's going on. She plans to reveal herself as the only diety once all others are captured, and force everyone to worship her, not someone she's impersonating. The party won't go for that.

So far Chell's captured

Istus (GG): Neutral Goddess of Fate, Destiny, Divination, Future and Honesty
Domains: Chaos, Knowledge, Law, Luck

Kord (PHB, GG): Chaotic Good God of Athletics, Sports, Brawling, Strength and Courage
Domains: Chaos, Good, Luck, Strength

Boccob (PHB, GG): True Neutral God of Magic, Arcane Knowledge, Foresight and Balance
Domains: Knowledge, Rune, Magic, Trickery

Syrull (GG): Neutral Evil God of Lies, Deceit, Treachery and False Promises
Domains: Charm, Evil, Knowledge, Trickery

Bralm (GG): True Neutral Goddess of Insects and Industriousness
Domains: Animal, Law, Strength

Dalt (GG): Chaotic Good God of Portals, Doors, Enclosures, Locks and Keys
Domains: Chaos, Good, Protection, Travel, Trickery

Xan Yae (GG): Neutral Goddess of Twilight, Shadows, Stealth and Mental Power
Domains: Darkness, Knowledge, Trickery, War

and

Saint Cuthbert: Lawful Neutral God of Common Sense, Wisdom, Zeal, Honesty, Truth, Discipline and Retribution
Domains: Destruction, Law, Nobility, Protection, Strength

Yes, she captured her own goddess - that was her plan in the beginning, but she had to string her goddess along until she saw how to take another god's power. Then she turned the artifact on Syrull.

So, being a mortal, she can't weild the full power of these gods, but she does have far more power than any one mortal should. The way I plan to play this when the party fights her, is to give her one action each round for each of the dieties she's controlling. Basically, I stat up a character to represent each diety, and roll initiative for each, but on each of those initiatives, she moves using one of the abilities of that character.

So, what class or class combo would you suggest for each of these dieties. They don't have to be overly powerful individually... combined, they will be.

That's question one.

Question 2 is related. See, while the party is dealing with her, the party's characters from our other campaign will be sneaking around and trying to free the gods. However, Chell has managed to bind a handful of each diety's servants in the process of capturing them. She then ordered them to defend the prison to which they are bound (impersonating the imprisoned god or goddess), so the party will have to defeat servants of each god, who are convinced that they are doing their god's work in defending that prison. Only when those servants have died, will the prison be weak enough to open and free the god.

So, I need some ideas for servants of each god. Celestials, demons, animals, anything that would make sense. I figure some can be humanoid, but I want to keep that to a minimum. Also, the party doing this is around level 11, but very over equipped for their level, so I need enemies that are a reasonable fight.

I'm going to run these battles simultaneously, so that when a god is freed, Chell loses the powers from that god... the party fighting her will mostly just have to survive long enough for the other party to succeed.

So, let the suggestions roll! :-)

And thanks

Dornath
2011-01-13, 09:35 PM
Well.... The gods are statted up in Deities and DemiGods... Maybe use those as a baseline and remove the majority of their power? They tend to be HUGE powerhouses (as befitting a God... But some seem like overkill and some seem really underpowered), but they should provide a good outline.

Dyllan
2011-01-13, 09:40 PM
Unfortunately, I don't have that book. Any chance you could tell me how many levels of what classes each of the dieties I'm using has? That should be enough for me to work from.

Dornath
2011-01-13, 09:55 PM
Usually equals to 40 class levels.

Boccob, for example, is a Wizard 20/Cleric 20 with Divine Rank 17. Kord is a Fighter 20/Barbarian 20 with Divine Rank 14.

And so on, and so forth. You can probably extrapolate from there. I doubt you're giving this BBEG a divine rank, unless you really hate your players, so that shouldn't be an issue.