PDA

View Full Version : Best Plan Ever For Survivng The Zombie Apocolypse!

Traab
2011-01-13, 09:38 PM
This sint about getting into shape or anything, this is the product of my sick mind. I have a boring job where I literally dont have to think for 8 hours straight to do it. So odd things pop into my head. One of which is, if I had an ideal set of options, basically, anything I could think of needing, unlimited funds and preoutbreak prep time, etc, what would I do to survive a world wide zombie outbreak? Everyone, post your plans. Bonus points for details and realism.

1) First I would have bought land in the middle of nowhere. Next to a fairly deep river with a strong current. You want to be in an isolated area with a source of food and water nearby, such as say, a forest and river. This avoids all but random zombie roamers, as they will tend to be concentrated in cities and such.

2) Build an old fashioned castle. 15 foot high walls, 8 feet thick. This is to protect from an eventual unlucky swarm of undead. The walls are too high to climb up short of bringing in hundreds of zombies who would be literally climbing over the top of each other to get at you, and way too thick to knock down under sheer weight like a chain link fence would.

3) Cleared field for farmland, and 200 yards visibility in all directions to spot incoming zombies from a nice sniping distance. Farmland is obvious, if the world civilization collapses, you are going to need a long term source of food. Raiding the nearest walmarts and stop and shops is good to buy you a few months, but after that, you will start getting hungry.

4) Enough rifles to arm 2 dozen people, and handguns for the same. Several hundred rounds of ammo per weapon if not more. Might want to raid the nearest gun and ammo stores on your way out of town to stock up more. Basically, plan to have to kill an entire cities worth of zombies before the main swarm of them calms down and its random stragglers. Wont need that many people, but spare weapons are always handy since you are going to need them.

5) Gather up any survivors on your way out of town. Not too many, you have to be able to feed whoever you bring with you after all, but not too few. You need to be able to post watches, have hunters, farmers, etc, and hopefully, a fairly even mix of men and women. Not saying you have to repopulate the earth or anything, but being able to plan long term for relationships and such is a plus if you dont expect to be rescued.

6) Stockpile a nice library full of how to manuals. You will need to have people who specialize in medicine and first aid, farming, repair work, and a whole host of other jobs in order to survive. Plus its the whole preserving knowledge for the future thing. Also stockpile regular books, battery powered dvd players and cd players, along with discs to put in them, as well as enough batteries to keep everything running as long as possible. (Most batteries have a multi year shelf life so the spares will last). You WILL be bored if you arent under permanent seige, entertainment is a must.

7) A burning pit. You cant just leave the zombie bodies out there to rot, thats just begging to catch the plague or something. Gotta drag them bodies to the burning pit and cremate them. Its the only way to avoid illness.

8) The river is more than just a source of water and fish, its also a source of power. You can jerry rig a water wheel to turn the turbine of a couple generators, for longer lasting power that doesnt depend on the power grid, which will likely drop rather quickly. This way you can avoid getting stuck in medieval levels of tech and comfort for that much longer.

9) Raid a pharmecy. Someone should be memorizing various books on identifying illnesses or injuries and how to treat them, and having antibiotics on hand will be very useful. Plus making sure people take things like multivitamins. An ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure.

10) One of the last things you do before leaving the city behind forever. Hijack a few Uhaul trucks, and raid every grocery store, book store, gun and ammo store, and perhaps a clothing store as well that you safely can. At the grocery store, first priority is bottled water, grab it all. Packaged and canned goods. Stuff like soups, vegetables, pastas, if they have it, freeze dried meals, etc. It isnt the most nutritious, but chips, crackers, cookies, soda, all can come in handy. Feel free to grab juice and such, but dont expect it to last more than a couple months even unopened, that stuff will turn sour even sealed if you leave it long enough. Paper products, especially toilet paper, (noone wants to use leaves right) Soap, detergent, shampoo. Hygene is very important in avoiding illness. So that means staying clean and having clean clothes. Candles in case of power loss, flashlights for the same reason, led preferably as they last the longest without burning out. Most of this stuff should just be surplus, dont depend on being able to get anything. The places may be crawling with undead, or they may already be stripped bare by looters who got there faster than you.

If you can pull all that off, get a solid group of people, say between 12 and 18total, and stick to the plan, you have a solid shot of dying of old age, with your children around to bury you. :p

raisethearmy
2011-01-13, 09:45 PM
I am always very bored at school, and this is almost word for word what I have come up with for this scenario.

One question though, how would you get a good group of survivors? I mean, you shouldn't just take random people off the street. I haven't come up with a good way to do this either.

Ytaker
2011-01-13, 09:48 PM
The director has spawned a tank...

You can't rely on the zombies being normal zombies. With genetic engineering you may be attacked by flying zombies, or super strong zombies, or ranged zombies.

That's why you need some heavy weaponry. Probably a russian or chinese machine gun.

You also need an insane charisma score.

BizzaroStormy
2011-01-13, 09:51 PM
Since you're assuming unlimited funds and prep time, I'd purchase a good-sized island not currently inhabited by humans.

After that, it would be outfitted with the proper technologies to make it more or less self sustaining. Nuclear power plants, a large fishing industry, recycling plants, farmland located on the opposite side of the island from the industrial. That being only a short list with those involved knowing that survival of mankind should be put before any other issues.

Any and all airports and docks would have extremely heavy security to prevent infection of the unnamed country of awesome. The UCA would also conduct regular flights to areas which are high in natural resources, but have a low population density.

Since I really need to go to bed, this is really just a hodgepodge of ideas that could be fleshed out more if I were more awake.

Traab
2011-01-13, 09:53 PM
The only way to avoid taking everyone you meet till you hit a certain number is to set things up ahead of time. Get a group of like minded friends together, form a plan, and prepare for your roles ahead of time. Leave wiggle room for other survivors you stumble across on your way out, after all, you dont want to abandon people due to already being at your limit. And your inner circle will help you maintain order by having supporters, along with already having the important skills covered.

And those extras would do just fine as rifle holders on watch duty. You dont need to be a marine trained sniper to hit a slowly shambling target the size of a skull at 100 yards or so. Just a good scope. A bit of practice and they will be fine. Hell, they could even be ammo jockeys in case of big attacks. Your trained shooters empty a clip, then instead of reloading, they drop the gun, and the newbie hands them a freshly loaded one. Then the shooter starts back up while the newb is either reloading manually or just shoving in a fresh clip. Or be like the guy at the end of saving private ryan. They gave him all the ammo and it was his job to run from post to post keeping everyone stocked up. Hopefully without the cowardice.

Traab
2011-01-13, 09:57 PM
Since you're assuming unlimited funds and prep time, I'd purchase a good-sized island not currently inhabited by humans.

After that, it would be outfitted with the proper technologies to make it more or less self sustaining. Nuclear power plants, a large fishing industry, recycling plants, farmland located on the opposite side of the island from the industrial. That being only a short list with those involved knowing that survival of mankind should be put before any other issues.

Any and all airports and docks would have extremely heavy security to prevent infection of the unnamed country of awesome. The UCA would also conduct regular flights to areas which are high in natural resources, but have a low population density.

Since I really need to go to bed, this is really just a hodgepodge of ideas that could be fleshed out more if I were more awake.

Its an idea, but unrealistic. After all, there is no way the various governments would allow you to basically build your own independant island nation, including nuclear power and whatnot. Besides, ARE there islands large enough to pull that kind of plan off with that arent already inhabited or otherwise claimed? You would basically have to have an island the size of Hati to have the space required to do all that.

MoonCat
2011-01-13, 10:01 PM
Can zombies swim? If not, than do what I dreamed shortly after watching Zombieland.

Whatever continent the zombie outbreak started on will be quarantined. All boats and airplanes will be heavily fortified against zombies while all people board and go to another continent (I dreamt Europe). Trained professionals will drop into Zombieland (infected continent) and kill as many zombies as possible. Eventually all will be exterminated, if not starved, and the previous tenants of Zombieland can come home. Overpopulation in non-infected countries could be dealt with, with proper spreading out, it could be possible.

Or just do this (http://xkcd.com/734/)with Patient #0 :smalltongue: (http://xkcd.com/734/)

Traab
2011-01-13, 10:07 PM
Can zombies swim? If not, than do what I dreamed shortly after watching Zombieland.

Whatever continent the zombie outbreak started on will be quarantined. All boats and airplanes will be heavily fortified against zombies while all people board and go to another continent (I dreamt Europe). Trained professionals will drop into Zombieland (infected continent) and kill as many zombies as possible. Eventually all will be exterminated, if not starved, and the previous tenants of Zombieland can come home. Overpopulation in non-infected countries could be dealt with, with proper spreading out, it could be possible.

Or just do this (http://xkcd.com/734/)with Patient #0 :smalltongue: (http://xkcd.com/734/)

It depends on the source material you believe in. The book ive read says that while zombies cant swim, they can easily be washed out to sea, carried by the currents, and wind up almost anywhere. Assuming they dont sink to the bottom, salt water is bouyant, but bloated carcasses might not always float. Still, being on an island or another landmass keeps all but random floaters from reaching you. But this is in reference to a worldwide outbreak. No country is safe, all are overrun. Shallow water is dangerous. You REALLY want to stay away from swampy areas like the everglades or the bayou. That water is just deep enough to hide the zombies in it, no predator will ever try to eat one so you cant even count on gators thinning the herd.

fimzo
2011-01-13, 10:27 PM
My friend and I came up with what we would do in advance in case of an apocalyptic scenario: get one of these (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/09/pl_shelters_safehouse/) and stock it with all the food and weapons we can find. Then fight back against any post-apocalyptic monsters. This friend also happens to like Fallout 3 and zombie movies.

DraPrime
2011-01-13, 10:31 PM
Personally, I have always been of the opinion that an island is the way to go. Live on the beach with a boat, and simply sail out to your little island whenever you start hearing a chorus of voices saying "brains..."

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-13, 10:34 PM
Move to the arctic, in the flattest piece of land I can find. Build a bunker underground, stocked with food and weapons and ammo. The entrance being a one room log cabin. Get 4 special ops marines. Have the whole cabin surrounded in mine fields, barbed wire and what not. then just sit in the cabin and pick off anything that is some how luckily enough to avoid the mines. I could survive for the rest of my life. This is all realistically possible. And all damn well worth doing.

Traab
2011-01-13, 10:35 PM
My friend and I came up with what we would do in advance in case of an apocalyptic scenario: get one of these (http://www.wired.com/magazine/2010/09/pl_shelters_safehouse/) and stock it with all the food and weapons we can find. Then fight back against any post-apocalyptic monsters. This friend also happens to like Fallout 3 and zombie movies.

Thats... actually way better than my idea. 5 years is about how long the majority of a zombie outbreak can last. Depending on climate, they start to fall apart after 5-10 years. If you live in a humid climate it could take less than 5 for the zombies to decay to the point where their bodies are no longer even capable of movement. Sure there would still be zombies that were made by various outposts of humanity that lasted longer than others, but the biggest threat would be close to over by that point. Since its underground, you could easily hide the entrance and seal it up from the inside, so you wouldnt even have to worry too much about roaming bands of mad max style brigands out to rob any settlements they come across.

Traab
2011-01-13, 10:38 PM
Personally, I have always been of the opinion that an island is the way to go. Live on the beach with a boat, and simply sail out to your little island whenever you start hearing a chorus of voices saying "brains..."

Islands arent the worst choice, not by a long shot, but islands that are clearly visible from the mainland arent the best idea. Too many people will have the same idea as you and try to flood your island. Plus, there is the human factor. Not everyone is going to peacefully settle into a fortified encampment, there will be raiders, and islands are obvious targets. If you head for an island that isnt visible from the mainland, or on the main sea lanes, you will do a lot better with that plan.

DraPrime
2011-01-13, 10:40 PM
Islands arent the worst choice, not by a long shot, but islands that are clearly visible from the mainland arent the best idea. Too many people will have the same idea as you and try to flood your island. Plus, there is the human factor. Not everyone is going to peacefully settle into a fortified encampment, there will be raiders, and islands are obvious targets. If you head for an island that isnt visible from the mainland, or on the main sea lanes, you will do a lot better with that plan.

Well it would definitely be away from the mainland, preferably in waters with lots of predatory fish. These are just in case the zombies try to pull a "Pirates of the Caribbean" and walk on the sea floor. Ideally, this island would be a fortress with supplies and guns. Maybe a few buddies too.

Traab
2011-01-13, 10:42 PM
Move to the arctic, in the flattest piece of land I can find. Build a bunker underground, stocked with food and weapons and ammo. The entrance being a one room log cabin. Get 4 special ops marines. Have the whole cabin surrounded in mine fields, barbed wire and what not. then just sit in the cabin and pick off anything that is some how luckily enough to avoid the mines. I could survive for the rest of my life. This is all realistically possible. And all damn well worth doing.

Thats a very effective plan. The upside is that zombies cant function well in the artic. Their body tissues literally freeze over and they cant move. Of course if there is ever a warm snap, they thaw out and start roaming again. Artic zombies can survive potentially for decades before breaking down due to the dry freezing conditions. Only dangerous times would be summer though really. Your little mine field will take care of still living uninvited guests. Only issue is what do you do once you run out of stored supplies? The artic isnt the best place to look for an easy resupply of food. You could setup a windwill turbine to provide power at least.

DraPrime
2011-01-13, 10:44 PM
Thats a very effective plan. The upside is that zombies cant function well in the artic. Their body tissues literally freeze over and they cant move. Of course if there is ever a warm snap, they thaw out and start roaming again. Artic zombies can survive potentially for decades before breaking down due to the dry freezing conditions. Only dangerous times would be summer though really. Your little mine field will take care of still living uninvited guests. Only issue is what do you do once you run out of stored supplies? The artic isnt the best place to look for an easy resupply of food. You could setup a windwill turbine to provide power at least.

This is why I chose the island idea. The ocean is swimming with (yeah, pun intended) food, and the zombies can't somehow get preserved there. If they get stuck, the fish will pick them apart.

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-13, 10:45 PM

That's what the bunkers for, any good bunker has a generator, and enough food to last 30+ years. We'd sleep in the cabin, the bunkers purely for storage and last minute survival shelter.

To add to my plan. Since we do have unlimited funding. I'd design fallout style power armor, well pay someone to, since it is realistically possible, that way if we need to venture out we can. I would also have a tank, or a few, incase we need to leave in a hurry.

Traab
2011-01-13, 10:57 PM
Btw, barbed wire and electric fences, those are all useless against a zombie, and really would only advertise your presence to human raiders. Id reccomend not even building the cabin. Make the entrance to your bunker disguised like a small pile of rocks. Enough to be a landmark for if you ever leave the bunker to go explore, but not enough to be recognizable by outsiders as a location of potential supplies. Also, im curious, just how big would your bunker be to have storage for 30 years of supplies? I get the hydroponics bays for growing veggies, but anything else like meat would have to be stored somewhere. I suppose there is always supplemental hunting. After all, even the artic has wildlife you can get freshmeat from. Shooting a polar bear or seal or something, would give you plenty of meat to store away for later. :p And you wouldnt have to kill more than a few big game animals a year to have sufficient meat for only a handful of people so you wouldnt have to leave shelter too often, which is a good thing.

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-13, 11:07 PM
Btw, barbed wire and electric fences, those are all useless against a zombie, and really would only advertise your presence to human raiders. Id reccomend not even building the cabin. Make the entrance to your bunker disguised like a small pile of rocks. Enough to be a landmark for if you ever leave the bunker to go explore, but not enough to be recognizable by outsiders as a location of potential supplies. Also, im curious, just how big would your bunker be to have storage for 30 years of supplies? I get the hydroponics bays for growing veggies, but anything else like meat would have to be stored somewhere. I suppose there is always supplemental hunting. After all, even the artic has wildlife you can get freshmeat from. Shooting a polar bear or seal or something, would give you plenty of meat to store away for later. :p And you wouldnt have to kill more than a few big game animals a year to have sufficient meat for only a handful of people so you wouldnt have to leave shelter too often, which is a good thing.

Barbed wire can entangle and stop zombies, if temporarily. Most apocalypse bunkers are designed to house around 100 people for upto 30 years. That's essentially what I'd be building. As for the cabin, it's for living in and sniping zombies out of. Anyone alive who gets passed the land mines, and us shooting at them, probably deserves to be allowed into the bunker.

MoonCat
2011-01-13, 11:12 PM
I just realized I'm playing Thriller in the background right now. :smallsmile:

OverdrivePrime
2011-01-13, 11:16 PM
My new plan starts revolves around 2 words:

Solar Airship. (http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/07/a-solar-airship-from-new-york-to-paris/)

Load that sucker up with supplies, entertainment and weapons and head up a few hundred feet to wait out the carnage until the zombies rot into useless skeletons. After that: lots and lots of work with earthmoving equipment so the survivors and I can start civilization over properly.

Traab
2011-01-13, 11:17 PM
Barbed wire can entangle and stop zombies, if temporarily. Most apocalypse bunkers are designed to house around 100 people for upto 30 years. That's essentially what I'd be building. As for the cabin, it's for living in and sniping zombies out of. Anyone alive who gets passed the land mines, and us shooting at them, probably deserves to be allowed into the bunker.

True true, I just figured that it would likely be safer in the long run to not have any sign that the area is inhabited by people. Any zombies in the area would just wander past, and so would any people. No need to waste ammo that way, you can hold onto it until its really needed.

And after 30 years, Id say about 90% of the zombies in the world will have decomposed, so you can easily afford to let them wander off, and have father time take care of killing them for you. lol 5-10 years would handle just the initial surge of zombies, any other pocket of humanity, like fortified towns and such that held on for a couple years before being turned, would also have fallen apart. Anyone lasting past that point isnt likely to die of zombie attacks so they most likely wont create another wave. By the 30 year mark, civilization will have likely started to rebuild, even if only on a tribal sort of level.

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-13, 11:21 PM
True true, I just figured that it would likely be safer in the long run to not have any sign that the area is inhabited by people. Any zombies in the area would just wander past, and so would any people. No need to waste ammo that way, you can hold onto it until its really needed.

And after 30 years, Id say about 90% of the zombies in the world will have decomposed, so you can easily afford to let them wander off, and have father time take care of killing them for you. lol 5-10 years would handle just the initial surge of zombies, any other pocket of humanity, like fortified towns and such that held on for a couple years before being turned, would also have fallen apart. Anyone lasting past that point isnt likely to die of zombie attacks so they most likely wont create another wave. By the 30 year mark, civilization will have likely started to rebuild, even if only on a tribal sort of level.

I'm working off the assumption that zombies aren't technically dead and thusly wouldn't rot, or at least not as fast as a regular dead body. But even if tehy do. My group just sits up north, and when it's done, we drive our tanks right of there and begin a anew country. (Yes I would have one road, marked covertly that we could get the tanks through)

Traab
2011-01-13, 11:22 PM

Solar Airship. (http://www.wired.com/autopia/2009/07/a-solar-airship-from-new-york-to-paris/)

Load that sucker up with supplies, entertainment and weapons and head up a few hundred feet to wait out the carnage until the zombies rot into useless skeletons. After that: lots and lots of work with earthmoving equipment so the survivors and I can start civilization over properly.

Theoretically possible. But they havent even finished building a solar airship capable of transporting a small group of people yet. Expanding one to handle your crew of survivors, and several years worth of supplies, you would likely need to float the equivalent of a football stadium. :p You would also be a pretty visible target, making landing to restock on water dangerous due to raiders, and the noise would likely attract any zombies in the area as well. Though I suppose you could always land in the middle of a bigass lake and restock that way.

DraPrime
2011-01-13, 11:28 PM

Hmmm...flight. I think StrongBad once suggested something that could be a solution...

"Hang on! We're going off, to the MOOOOOOOOON!!!!!!"

Traab
2011-01-13, 11:33 PM
I'm working off the assumption that zombies aren't technically dead and thusly wouldn't rot, or at least not as fast as a regular dead body. But even if tehy do. My group just sits up north, and when it's done, we drive our tanks right of there and begin a anew country. (Yes I would have one road, marked covertly that we could get the tanks through)

All flesh dies, even our still living tissue. We just grow new cells to replace them as they die off. Unless we go with mind control or voodoo curse, my definition of a zombie is reanimated dead bodies. They have no nervous system, they dont heal any damage taken, they dont need to eat, sleep, or breathe. What they start shambling along with is all they get. Once those tissues start rotting in a wet climate, thats it. Eventually, the muscles will degrade to the point where they can no longer move themselves.

Of course, im going off my zombie survival guide book for details on these things. In that book, its a brain virus. You die, then 24-48 hours later,the infected portion of your brain "wakes back up", basically on autopilot. You can walk, see, hear, inhale and exhale, (even though breathing isnt neccesary, you go through the motions, and thats where the groaning noise comes from) But your blood doesnt flow, you cant digest what you are eating, and you can no longer heal damage taken. You can react to certain stimuli, such as seeing movement and heading towards it. But you dont even have the rational thinking of a chimp. So if there is say, a door between you and the sound, you wont try to open it, you will try to walk through it. And keep trying till either you break, the door breaks, or something else distracts you. In fact, you are equally likely to try and break through the wall as the door.

Zmflavius
2011-01-13, 11:36 PM
While true, I recall from reading World War Z that there are two major flaws with your plans.

1) Your plan would require an extremely visible output, no matter where you place it. In today's world of satellite photography and the Internet, there is a incredibly high chance your fortress would be discovered by accident even before the outbreak, and the more people you round up, the more likely the news will get out. There is a situation exactly like that in the book, and the fortress gets stormed by desperate humans, mainly because the guards hesitated to mow them down.
2) Your plan depends significantly on major preparation for a not too likely event. If the event were to come to pass, acquiring all the supplies you need would be insanely difficult if not outright impossible, because a zombie apocalypse would have almost outright destroyed almost all industrial activity that replaces those needed supplies (and incidentally, any transportation activities to transport already made goods or any goods produced by un-destroyed industry). Furthermore, what supplies are already available would be the target of everybody, meaning you are unlikely to get more than a handful, assuming you don't get killed by another human trying to get that. I've noticed someone above assuming unlimited prep time, that's just not realistic.

Now, there are solutions to the above problems however.

1) Instead of building fortifications, find an already existing fortification. You may have to share it with an already existing group. If they are less than inclined to share, you may really have to take the fort from them (Of course, without damaging it too badly). For this reason, you will need all manner of heavy weapons. A lot of people discount them based on the fact that they would never be useful against zombies, but honestly, for every zombie you fight, you probably will fight humans (bandits, competitors, maybe someone who shows up to take your fort from you).
2) Ehhh...I'm not too sure about this.

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-13, 11:52 PM
While true, I recall from reading World War Z that there are two major flaws with your plans.

1) Your plan would require an extremely visible output, no matter where you place it. In today's world of satellite photography and the Internet, there is a incredibly high chance your fortress would be discovered by accident even before the outbreak, and the more people you round up, the more likely the news will get out. There is a situation exactly like that in the book, and the fortress gets stormed by desperate humans, mainly because the guards hesitated to mow them down.
2) Your plan depends significantly on major preparation for a not too likely event. If the event were to come to pass, acquiring all the supplies you need would be insanely difficult if not outright impossible, because a zombie apocalypse would have almost outright destroyed almost all industrial activity that replaces those needed supplies (and incidentally, any transportation activities to transport already made goods or any goods produced by un-destroyed industry). Furthermore, what supplies are already available would be the target of everybody, meaning you are unlikely to get more than a handful, assuming you don't get killed by another human trying to get that. I've noticed someone above assuming unlimited prep time, that's just not realistic.

Now, there are solutions to the above problems however.

1) Instead of building fortifications, find an already existing fortification. You may have to share it with an already existing group. If they are less than inclined to share, you may really have to take the fort from them (Of course, without damaging it too badly). For this reason, you will need all manner of heavy weapons. A lot of people discount them based on the fact that they would never be useful against zombies, but honestly, for every zombie you fight, you probably will fight humans (bandits, competitors, maybe someone who shows up to take your fort from you).
2) Ehhh...I'm not too sure about this.

Mine is something not all that uncommon to a paranoid person who happens to be mega rich.

No one assumes that a cabin, is a bunker. Especially since the barbed wire would get hidden by snow, and landmines are under ground.

Although I don't feel this was directed at me.

Traab
2011-01-14, 12:06 AM
Honestly, had I known that bunkers were THAT advanced in capability and longevity, I would have abandoned the whole, "build your own castle" plan and gone straight to, "hide away from the world for the better part of a generation" Id have gone deep underground, and not shown any sign of my groups existence until it was all well past over. It is so completely superior to being above ground in every way that its insane. Above ground you are visible, you have to deal with any zombies that approach, in order to avoid drawing in others until you have a dawn of the dead type of situation, 50k zombies all swarming around your stronghold, wanting to get in. You also have to deal with raiders, bad weather, running out of ammo, and a whole list of other issues.

In a 30 year bunker scenario, id wait 25 years. Then get the lay of the land, perhaps scout around and see if anyone else has established a town nearby. Work on rebuilding my own little town above ground if its safe. Always keeping my bunker as a safe hidden fallback position in case of an overwhelming attack. All this is of course contingent on how many people are with me. Worst case scenario? Try to hold out for as long as possible above ground, gathering every supply we can, then go back underground until my grandkids have to decide what to do.

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-14, 12:08 AM
Me and my friends have spent hours planning this kinda stuff during school/while hanging out

blackfox
2011-01-14, 12:12 AM
So wait, what kind of zombies are these?
Because there are two and a half kinds of zombies in pop culture...
First, there's the infected kind of zombies, which are normal, living humans with a disease that makes them rabid. These will rather quickly die of starvation or thirst if you just take all the surviving humans away, so island/frozen wastes are quite a viable option.
Second, there's the walking dead kind, which are corpses that have been animated by magic or some other sort of supernatural force. Island/frozen wastes slightly less viable here.
The half is the traditional zombie from voodoo and/or myth, can't remember which exactly, which are humans that have been magically enslaved and/or brainwashed. Again island/frozen wastes viable.

Traab
2011-01-14, 12:32 AM
The one I go with is a virus. It kills the infected person, then reactivates specific portions of their brain. They are dead. No remnants of the person they used to be exists in their head. All they know is an instinctual need to feed, even though eating does nothing for them. The book I read talks about zombies with grossly distended stomachs, from holding in nearly 100 pounds of flesh chunks. There is no digestion, no processing, it goes into the digestive tract and stays there till something ruptures basically. Similar to the resident evil T virus, but without mutations, and human only. No zombie dogs or inside out looking creatures with 5 foot long stabbing tounges or anything like that. Animals wont even touch infected flesh. If, say, a zombie managed to grab ahold of a dog and bit it, the dog would die, and not rise up as a zombie.

They can no longer heal, and though they do inhale and exhale they dont need to do so, and in fact can stay underwater for weeks until they reach dry land again. They do not bleed, they do not feel pain, and they have no sense of self preservation. Other than destroying the brain, their only other weakness is time. Since they no longer heal, they eventually rot. It takes longer than an undeasised corpse would in the same enviroment but eventually, the muscles ligaments and tendons will no longer function and they will drop to the ground.

They are no stronger or faster than they were while alive. They only difference is they never get tired, and dont have the nervous system to tell them they are hurting themselves with the amount of force they are using. To explain, we have all done the single lift of a very heavy weight right? We couldnt do 30 reps with it, its too heavy, but we WERE capable of lifting that much, however briefly. A zombie could continue exerting that kind of effort until its muscles tear apart from the strain. Once that does happen, its done, it cant do jack squat ever again, but until then, itll be doing some serious damage to whatever its using that much force on. Its why a regular house is very unsafe. Your average person could easily batter down a standard door and deadbolt combo given enough attempts, and no fear of incoming police. The zombie may not have the brains to get a running start, but he can continue slamming himself into it until it gives way. If not him alone, than him and as many other zombies as can fit in that space will do it.

Traab
2011-01-14, 12:40 AM
Also, they no longer have fine motor control or balance skills. For example, say you have a ladder leading to your roof, maybe one zombie attempt in 5 would result in it making its way up the ladder successfully. Or across a narrow pathway above open air. I should retract my no faster than statement, as I dont believe they are capable of running, just shambling, or stumbling along without pausing.

They are fully capable of hearing sounds or seeing movements, and will instinctively follow them looking for food. They have no problem solving skills to speak of. If there is a wall between them and whatever they have locked onto, they will just try to go straight through it, any attempt to go around the wall is purely cooincidental. As I said in another post, if a zombie spots you, and you run into your house, that zombie is just as likely to ignore the doorway and pound on the wall trying to get in. Unless you have one of those lever doorknobs, its REALLY unlikely they will get in by opening the door.

Crow
2011-01-14, 10:44 AM
Stock up on *seeds* as well as food. Somebody already mentioned farmland, so I assume seeds were included in that...but seeing how things like batteries were mentioned, and seeds weren't, I thought I'd bring it up.

Sipex
2011-01-14, 12:46 PM
I prefer a realistic standpoint myself, no unlimited funds just 'This happens tomorrow, what do you do?'

First thing first, you need to get out of heavily populated areas. More population = more zombies. If you're planning on starting something then your best bet is to grab a bunch of people you know and head out with all the supplies you can carry.

Supplies will need to consist of the following:
- First aid (supplies and training manuals)
- Pharmaceuticals (generic stuff unless you have someone with a particular condition. Sadly, if someone needs regular, specific medicine you could be out of luck as medicine expires and there's no guarantee when things will return to production.
- Weapons. Not just guns (because guns use ammo which probably won't be produced after an apocalypse) but also melee weapons. Anything with good pushing power and reach is essential. Shovels are a good bet. Everyone should have a melee weapon. Guns, take them if you can get them but don't waste them on the zombies unless needed.
- Renewable food sources. Seeds, anything that you can grow (fungi grows fast) and anything you can breed (chickens would be ideal, also Rats).
- As many preservatives as you can get.
- Cloth. Blankets, curtains, clothing, it'll all be cloth. Clothes wear out, people need cloth for warmth.
- Survival equipment. Candles, compasses, maps, tents, sleeping bags, flint and tinder, hunting equipment, axes, etc.

You will then need to head south if you're not already in a naturally warm climate (year round). The electricity probably won't keep up and many people don't have the survival skills to live through a winter without heating. Also, our buildings aren't built to allow survivors to weather a winter without internal heating.
You'll need to use judgement from here on out. While finding some sort of fortress would be amazing it's not realistic (unless maybe you find a university). You won't have the time or resources to build your own either so you'll need something easily defendable which will allow you to grow food.

Future worries you'll need to handle:

- Raiders and desperate humans. You'll need to handle survivors who aren't friendly and just want your stuff/location/your women. Some people are inheritly evil/bad natured and will take advantage of this situation. You'll need strict rules around how to handle people like this. My recommendation is shoot first and burn the corpses. This is obviously only if you're convinced that the visitors are hostile, warnings work for groups which are willing to back off at the first sign of competant resistance. Prisoners are no good, you have to feed them and the chance that anyone in your camp would trust them ever would be extremely slim.

- Zombies of course. You'll need some sort of wall or something to help handle this. Setting up easy perimeter defenses is recommended (deep holes which can't be climbed out of with sharp sticks at the bottom are ideal). From there it depends on how people contract zombification. If it's through a bite then you'll need to use guns for anything that threatens the compound. If it's only when the survivor is killed outright then melee is fine as long as everyone is okay with cremation upon death. If it's a sort of The Stand situation where your group consists of immunes then use judgement, melee for individual/small groups, other measures where appropriate.

- Usurpers. You'll need some sort of organisational system with a respectable person in charge. You'll also need rules to handle people who would take your group and use them for their own purposes.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-14, 01:00 PM
You will then need to head south if you're not already in a naturally warm climate (year round). The electricity probably won't keep up and many people don't have the survival skills to live through a winter without heating. Also, our buildings aren't built to allow survivors to weather a winter without internal heating.

While this might be true for most people it's not the case for everyone. Take me for example. My parents happen to live pretty far up north and that's where I'd be heading as soon as I suspected the Z:s were rising. There's almost no one living around there, so there will be few walkers, it can easily get below -35 C in the winter and it snows a lot, effectively hindering any mindless corpse from getting there. The house is heated by burning wood (dunno what the things are called in english, basically a large owen :smalltongue:), which we happen to have an abundance of. Also my dad (currently 65) lived his first 17 years in that very area without any electricity at all, so I'm confident that we'd make it unless someone drew the attention of a huge Z army (the closest town is 100 km away, so it is a possibility.).

Sipex
2011-01-14, 01:05 PM
Your situation is unique but you will have issues with food unless there are a lot of plants around and good hunting. One advantage to the warm climate is a year round growth season.

That said, expecting them to freeze is pretty rational so you'd have some advantages too.

Crow
2011-01-14, 01:07 PM
Something that a lot of people don't think about when talking about getting on the move for zombie apocalypse is pack weight.

Every item you carry needs to be balanced between it's use to you, and it's weight. In most cases, you will get a lot further with some water purification kits than with a bunch of water. Carry water of course, but keep it reasonable.

So when we put together these lists, we need to keep this in mind. Carrying more weight means burning more energy, and when things are scarce, burning more energy is bad.

You can't rely on hunting and fishing either, because I guarantee you a boatload of people are thinking the same exact thing. It's more of a bonus than anything. Dehydrated foods give you the most calorie/weight bang for your buck, but also make your body use lots of water. If you have a good water source, it's a great way to preserve all kinds of foods. The best thing is, anybody can do it in their backyard/zombie-fortress with ease once you get settled down. If your water source is suspect, then you might be better off with stale flatbreads and such that won't go bad, just become very hard, and are very light, while packing loads of calories.

Also, get a hatchet and *small* whetstone. It will earn it's weight in your pack and more.

Also kill anyone who could reveal your location to outsiders. When I make contact it is on my terms, not theirs. No exceptions.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-14, 01:32 PM
Your situation is unique but you will have issues with food unless there are a lot of plants around and good hunting. One advantage to the warm climate is a year round growth season.

That said, expecting them to freeze is pretty rational so you'd have some advantages too.

Well, considering that we never buy food meat in the stores, relying on hunting and that my grandfather (who lives on the same farm as my parents) have both weapons and ammunition to see us through several seasons of hunt I'm not particularly worried about the meat part of that. Also, there's about one cow for each person in the area, so milk will be no problem. The water in the river is clean enough to drink and we live about 100 m from it. Chickens are also easy to find on a farm somewhere. My parents also have a lot (11 or 12 I think) of horses, so we got animals to help with the crop as well, though I think that we'd have to kill the old ones, since we can't feed that many.
Since everyone around are farmers as well, there are plenty of already seeded fields, both for animal food and wheat, so actually I'm not that worried.
The hardest part I suspect would be to get there if I don't get moving before the panic breaks out.
EDIT: Also, fishing. We got pretty good fishing in the river as well.

Asthix
2011-01-14, 01:40 PM
I just have to say that on the forum homepage, it listed the title of this thread,

Best Plan Ever For Surviving...

And automatically I filled in 'The Zombie Apocalypse' in my head.:smallsmile:

Best Plan Ever:

Step 1: Don't run out of ammo.

Sipex
2011-01-14, 01:44 PM
Well, considering that we never buy food meat in the stores, relying on hunting and that my grandfather (who lives on the same farm as my parents) have both weapons and ammunition to see us through several seasons of hunt I'm not particularly worried about the meat part of that. Also, there's about one cow for each person in the area, so milk will be no problem. The water in the river is clean enough to drink and we live about 100 m from it. Chickens are also easy to find on a farm somewhere. My parents also have a lot (11 or 12 I think) of horses, so we got animals to help with the crop as well, though I think that we'd have to kill the old ones, since we can't feed that many.
Since everyone around are farmers as well, there are plenty of already seeded fields, both for animal food and wheat, so actually I'm not that worried.
The hardest part I suspect would be to get there if I don't get moving before the panic breaks out.
EDIT: Also, fishing. We got pretty good fishing in the river as well.

Sounds like you're pretty well set, your biggest threats would then be raiders or survivors over crowding your area.

But you can't neutralise all threats.

Traab
2011-01-14, 02:27 PM
Just a small point, a university is probably one of the worst places you could try to use as a fortress. Most of them are fairly sprawling affairs, with plenty of ground level doors and windows. In other words, virtually impossible to make safe from zombie hordes. A large warehouse could work. They are generally built pretty damn sturdy, have tons of space to work with, the entrances are also fairly well reinforced allready, and depending on what gets shipped to and from there, you may have at least some part of your wanted supplies covered.

drakir_nosslin
2011-01-14, 02:48 PM
Sounds like you're pretty well set, your biggest threats would then be raiders or survivors over crowding your area.

But you can't neutralise all threats.

Of course not. The farm is too big to be easily guarded, so a transport would have to be ready at all time to move everyone to the next safehouse, which is our cabin far out in the woods. The likelihood of running into raiders there is pretty much zero, but we can't produce food and it won't keep the heat well enough in the winter.
So, yea. I wouldn't worry too much about Z:s if they are the standard shambler. They would be too slow to catch us before we've escaped. We'd probably loose our animals though, which would be a problem when we return. Raiders on the other hand could probably take us easy. To survive that I just gamble that we won't be found.
Sweden is big, and there won't be many survivors staying that far north during the winter.

Miklus
2011-01-14, 03:17 PM
How about a ship? You can easily evade the zombies in a ship. You are also less prone to zombie infection if you are far out to sea. Maybe a sailing ship would be a good idea. It does not run out of fuel.

You also have mobility and therefore options. You can land on small tropical islands and gather food and materials. If one such island is to your liking, stay there.

Yeah, I think a ship is the best idea. Full of bikini babes with machine guns. :smalltongue:

Crow
2011-01-14, 03:41 PM
I thought about the sailboat thing too, but piracy is going to be rampant, and you're pretty vulnerable unless you can get ahold of a coast guard vessel or something.

Forum Explorer
2011-01-14, 03:42 PM
First you have to discover what kind of zombie your dealing with. Most zombies will be easily handled by military groups and time. Like the zombies from Zombie Survial Guide are actrually really pathetic and I can't imagine them getting to hoard size.

Plus the damage done to an unhealing body would prevent you from moving in about a week. Even if you cut out decomposition entirely your muscles tear with each step and your bones break with each step.

So any zombie that's propelled by an infection and doesn't heal will be helpless very fast. In the previous example of lifting a heavy bar a human could do it once and than would have to rest and heal before doing it again. A zombie could do it once and never again. Plus without feeling pain they would do even more damage to themselves.

Quick 'infected' a la 28 days later would be very effective. With such a speedy infection rate along with still healing but using rage to hit the full strength of the human body a city could be overrun in a day. Plus if their intelligence is merely reduced but not eliminated they could still feed themselves to stay alive for longer. Why they don't attack each other though is a question never asked.

Worst zombies to fight are the classics. Zombies fueled by necromatic energies that ignore damage because they're not actrually using their bodies strength. They'll keep going no matter what. Headshots are useless. Chopping the body apart just means you have parts of the body chasing you instead. The only thing that stops them is fire, and until they burn up they keep attacking. Worse yet this can effect any form of dead matter, so zombie bears, zombie dogs, ect. On the plus side you can't change until you die and the zombies are slow.

Zombies with multiple types are also really bad, becuase basically they're not actrually dead but are some strange form of mutant. Plus you have to keep your defenses flexible enough to handle multiple types of zombies.

So my plan would be to initially hide and wait for the first little while on the outscirts of the city. After finding out what kind a zombie we're dealing with while collecting supplies and survivors.

Than I would make a break for a ranch even further from the city to collect some horses along with some more wilderness survival gear. Next step is heading for the coast and taking over a yauht of some sort, or just a bunch of boats.

raisethearmy
2011-01-14, 03:46 PM
There are dozens of ways to weather a zombie apocalypse, like in a ship, or on a farm in the north. None of them however, are perfect, all have some risk. The trick in choosing what to do is to decide which risks you are willing to take.

Sipex
2011-01-14, 04:01 PM
I imagine if a zombie apocalypse were to happen we'd be dealing with living zombies ala 28 days later/left 4 dead where you're dealing with a virus which simply causes people to go completely and irrevocably nuts.

That said, it's not a for sure thing but that's where my contingency plan lies.

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-14, 05:54 PM
Assuming there is no tanks, smokers, and the such, just regular crazy people. A very viable option is to clear out the top 3 floors of an apartment building, and then stock up on a lot food, and supplies, and destroy the stairs, keeping a ladder to get down. Or barricade the stairs, either way.

Zmflavius
2011-01-14, 07:38 PM
I've been thinking about it for a bit, and after taking some cues from some zombie games I play online, I've gotten an idea.

Stay in a single pair, and DON'T STOP MOVING.

A pair is infinitely more useful than a single person, since they can support each other. Maybe three or four people, but never more than that. You should carry weapons both to fight zombies (depends on the situation) and humans. Transportation should be something that doesn't need fueling or feeding, a bike, say, with a cart attached to it to carry your stuff.

The reason for this is that any fortification that would be of any use at all would inevitably result in you being noticed by bandits or other humans who'd like to rob or kill you, and could probably break through these fortifications with enough numbers, effort, and some heavy weapons (rocket launchers, maybe some mortars). While you could try to defend yourself, you would run into problems as in order to gather enough people to defend against a serious threat, you would run into the risk of spies or agents who destroy you from within. Hence, you must keep moving and keep a low profile. In fact, you group should consist only of people you know very well and trust completely.

Food and supplies will be a biggie. I agree with all the posters above that you need to gather and hoard medical supplies and manuals. In particular, you must take every precaution to avoid diseases such as cholera, and dysentery, which are caused by unsanitary practices. Keep plenty of water purification stuff, bury your waste, and if you see someone pissing in the river, shoot the bastard.

As for food and ammunition...I'll leave to someone more experienced than me.

The reason I concentrated my advice on human interaction is that dealing with zombies is an unknown, and as a result, you can't really prepare for it until you find some hard info. If you can't get solid info, you might have to figure out yourself. On the other hand, dealing with humans remains a constant.

Faulty
2011-01-14, 07:42 PM
1) Hole up in my apartment with canned food.

2) Wait for the frigid winter temperatures to freeze the zombies because I live in Montreal.

3) Wait for the military to come in and clean up the mess.

4) Win game.

Traab
2011-01-14, 10:46 PM
Assuming there is no tanks, smokers, and the such, just regular crazy people. A very viable option is to clear out the top 3 floors of an apartment building, and then stock up on a lot food, and supplies, and destroy the stairs, keeping a ladder to get down. Or barricade the stairs, either way.

That would be good if its a scenario where you are basically waiting on the army to swoop in and clean house, but the downside is a lack of sustainability. This is a full on, end of civilization, zombie apocolypse. Aint noone gonna save you, there aint no army to swoop in and slaughter the zombies, its just you, whoever you brought with you, and your plan, and the need to go for the rest of your life like that. If you want to go resident evil 3, form up a caravan, and go zombie hunting cross country fine, tell us the details. If you want to live underground till the year 2100 and let your grabdkids decide what to do then, tell us how thatll work. If you want to regress to feudal england, build a walled town and reform society, go for it, let us know how you will pull it off.

Zmflavius
2011-01-15, 10:58 AM
If you want to go resident evil 3, form up a caravan, and go zombie hunting cross country fine, tell us the details. If you want to live underground till the year 2100 and let your grabdkids decide what to do then, tell us how thatll work.

I've been thinking about it for a bit, and after taking some cues from some zombie games I play online, I've gotten an idea.

Stay in a single pair, and DON'T STOP MOVING.

A pair is infinitely more useful than a single person, since they can support each other. Maybe three or four people, but never more than that. You should carry weapons both to fight zombies (depends on the situation) and humans. Transportation should be something that doesn't need fueling or feeding, a bike, say, with a cart attached to it to carry your stuff.

The reason for this is that any fortification that would be of any use at all would inevitably result in you being noticed by bandits or other humans who'd like to rob or kill you, and could probably break through these fortifications with enough numbers, effort, and some heavy weapons (rocket launchers, maybe some mortars). While you could try to defend yourself, you would run into problems as in order to gather enough people to defend against a serious threat, you would run into the risk of spies or agents who destroy you from within. Hence, you must keep moving and keep a low profile. In fact, you group should consist only of people you know very well and trust completely.

Food and supplies will be a biggie. I agree with all the posters above that you need to gather and hoard medical supplies and manuals. In particular, you must take every precaution to avoid diseases such as cholera, and dysentery, which are caused by unsanitary practices. Keep plenty of water purification stuff, bury your waste, and if you see someone pissing in the river, shoot the bastard.

As for food and ammunition...I'll leave to someone more experienced than me.

The reason I concentrated my advice on human interaction is that dealing with zombies is an unknown, and as a result, you can't really prepare for it until you find some hard info. If you can't get solid info, you might have to figure out yourself. On the other hand, dealing with humans remains a constant.

Here.

Placeholder

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-17, 04:32 AM
1) Hole up in my apartment with canned food.

2) Wait for the frigid winter temperatures to freeze the zombies because I live in Montreal.

3) Wait for the military to come in and clean up the mess.

4) Win game.

unless you live in a part of town worth saving i wouldn't worry about that

Traab
2011-01-17, 12:20 PM
unless you live in a part of town worth saving i wouldn't worry about that

Honestly, the most likely military response would be to carpet bomb the cities then rebuild. They would glass the areas that have a clear high zombie concentration, then sweep across the country, probably in vehicles whenever possible, to mop up. Most cities would likely be destroyed simply because of how incredibly dangerous it would be to send troops into an urban area where the slightest zombie wound would be lethal. You might lose a few stubborn survivors who decided to hole up in a high rise or something, but the vast majority of the area are zombies as most survivors would have fled quickly.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-17, 01:24 PM
Honestly, the most likely military response would be to carpet bomb the cities then rebuild. They would glass the areas that have a clear high zombie concentration, then sweep across the country, probably in vehicles whenever possible, to mop up. Most cities would likely be destroyed simply because of how incredibly dangerous it would be to send troops into an urban area where the slightest zombie wound would be lethal. You might lose a few stubborn survivors who decided to hole up in a high rise or something, but the vast majority of the area are zombies as most survivors would have fled quickly.

or do like they did in world war z and gas the living to pick out the zombies.
or just kill every one. or just quarantine everyone

KingOfLaughter
2011-01-17, 03:03 PM
Most likely military response would be carpet bombing, and AC130 runs over high zombie areas. That's why forts and cities are bad ideas. In an epidemic where there is no government (assuming the military doesn't also dissolve) it becomes a dictatorship, most military would bomb any forts just to prevent any uprising, or revolution. Power would corrupt the generals and probably **** over the world more then the zombies. That's why I'd build an underground structure, or hole up in the arctic in a small cabin.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-17, 03:12 PM
I'd recommend carrying charcoal, fertilizer and sulfur. Charcoal to start a fire, fertilizer to create a wall of fire if needed. If you mix the three and pee on it or put water on it you get black powder, in short quantities useful for blowing up doors and windows, in large amounts, it's freaking gunpowder.

As for food, I guess I would advocate potatoes for their versatility and endurance and Llama meat as it can be cooked with only charcoal and soil IIRC, it's called Charqui for those interested. Also, take oranges, scurvies are deadly. As for what to drink, take half water, half Gatorade, you will be sweating after a day of mobilization, but you don't wan't to over-hydrate.

Kris Strife
2011-01-17, 03:21 PM
Head for the Hoover dam. Semi-fortified structure, produces electricity and will still have plumbing, likely some supplies and a steady source of water. One side is a sheer cement wall and the generators will run for about 50-80 years with no maintenance being done. And of course, raid any stores/gas stations you can along the way for weapons, food, etc.

AsteriskAmp
2011-01-17, 03:34 PM
Head for the Hoover dam. Semi-fortified structure, produces electricity and will still have plumbing, likely some supplies and a steady source of water. One side is a sheer cement wall and the generators will run for about 50-80 years with no maintenance being done. And of course, raid any stores/gas stations you can along the way for weapons, food, etc.

Too prominent, leaves you surrounded if they come through both sides.
Again, it's a landmark and many people will get the light-bulb to go there.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-17, 04:11 PM
me? i'm grabbing my bow and arrow, colt .45, and Mauser 98K and heading in to the woods. i'm pretty sure i could fend for myself, climb a tree to sleep in, hunt deer/boar to eat.

Lord Raziere
2011-01-17, 04:19 PM
my plan for zombies apocalypse:

1. see zombies rise up from their graves.

2. wait. eventually, various animals and predators start to hunt the new prey and devour them, then watch as the decaying corpses succumb to the local climate and start to fall apart, while the police mow them down with guns effortlessly and people start to run them over with cars and trucks, as well as various other things happening that easily defeats slow brainless walking corpses because human strength has always been our brains and adaptability and thus without it we are nothing.

3. cheer. crisis averted. a zombie apocalypse is near-impossible to ever succeed.

Crow
2011-01-18, 11:10 AM
me? i'm grabbing my bow and arrow, colt .45, and Mauser 98K and heading in to the woods. i'm pretty sure i could fend for myself, climb a tree to sleep in, hunt deer/boar to eat.

Except every other guy with a gun is thinking the same thing. Game is going to become scarce really fast. You can't depend on it.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-18, 05:02 PM
Except every other guy with a gun is thinking the same thing. Game is going to become scarce really fast. You can't depend on it.

with when civilization goes, so does certain... social stigmas:smallamused:
like stealing other people's food

Innis Cabal
2011-01-18, 06:06 PM

Except the likelihood of other people going out to hunt is slim to none in most residential area's. Most people don't know how to skin and gut a deer and if you're acting alone it's going to be fairly difficult to drag the thing any distance to a place where you can cook it. Chance's are the first idea of -most- people won't be going out and hunting for food. It'll be raiding.

The other issue and this is one I have with all zombie scenario's is that every single person will go out and fend only for themselves. It's in most of the movies and books that involve the zombie end of the world and frankly...it's not realistic in the slightest. I understand it's trying to illustrate how the author and the genre portrays humanity (a shallow race only one disaster from being animals) but honestly...this is beyond a pessimistic view on the whole. Humans tend to band together when the crap gets bad. Don't believe me? Look at the news right now. Australian Floods. Mudslides in Brazil and other various disasters. Do you see the area's effected fall into total and complete lawless anarchy? No, you hear stories of everyone helping each other at no cost to themselves. When faced with real tragedy...the world won't fall into an lawless and violent hellhole. Order will be restored in what pockets of humans survive and swiftly. Food and water will be rationed until a substantial and supportable system is created or restored as well.

Add on that zombies are made out of meat with no method of healing themselves and thus making them the perfect snack for roaming wild animals and people with shotguns and a grudge against the human condition....they're not really a realistic threat. Have you ever seen meat in a freezer? Have you ever seen it dethawed and then refrozen and then dethawed? That's going to be the death of any winter invasion in most of the United States and Russia. How about beef jerky? Because that's going to be what the zombies in the desert look like. Tropics? Rotten meat disentigrating like crazy. No zombie threat will ever m

Add on top of that the zombie's method of transmission is the worst method of spreading a communicable disease. Unless it was spread in the air somehow then the threat itself will be totally handled merely because they can't repopulate faster then the environment and their top predator (which is also their only food source) kill them off.

Crow
2011-01-19, 12:37 PM
Except the likelihood of other people going out to hunt is slim to none in most residential area's. Most people don't know how to skin and gut a deer and if you're acting alone it's going to be fairly difficult to drag the thing any distance to a place where you can cook it. Chance's are the first idea of -most- people won't be going out and hunting for food. It'll be raiding.

The other issue and this is one I have with all zombie scenario's is that every single person will go out and fend only for themselves. It's in most of the movies and books that involve the zombie end of the world and frankly...it's not realistic in the slightest. I understand it's trying to illustrate how the author and the genre portrays humanity (a shallow race only one disaster from being animals) but honestly...this is beyond a pessimistic view on the whole. Humans tend to band together when the crap gets bad. Don't believe me? Look at the news right now. Australian Floods. Mudslides in Brazil and other various disasters. Do you see the area's effected fall into total and complete lawless anarchy? No, you hear stories of everyone helping each other at no cost to themselves. When faced with real tragedy...the world won't fall into an lawless and violent hellhole. Order will be restored in what pockets of humans survive and swiftly. Food and water will be rationed until a substantial and supportable system is created or restored as well.

See now you totally contradict yourself here. Maybe it was unintentional. On the one hand, you mention that people will resort to raiding before hunting, and then go on to say that they will pull together and help one another at no cost to themselves when things get bad.

If you think being able to depend on hunting is a realistic method of survival in an apocalypse-type scenario that's fine. But "obvious" places to raid are going to run out really fast. *Lots* of people have guns in the U.S. It's not going to matter if they know how to skin and gut a deer, A whole lot of them are still going to consider hunting.

I'm not saying that hunting is a bad skillset to have in the scenario, but you sure as hell can't depend on it.

Interestingly that Cynical Avocado mentions it, but I was just telling my wife if we had a scenario like this that we just eat people, lol.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-19, 05:08 PM
Interestingly that Cynical Avocado mentions it, but I was just telling my wife if we had a scenario like this that we just eat people, lol.

i implied cannibalism, i mentioned steling food

druid91
2011-01-20, 10:57 AM
If halo has taught me one thing.

That thing is that the solution to zombies is to annihilate all life on the planet.

CynicalAvocado
2011-01-20, 05:46 PM
If halo has taught me one thing.

That thing is that the solution to zombies is to annihilate all life on the planet in the galaxy.

fixed that for ya:smallbiggrin:

Traab
2011-01-20, 05:57 PM

Add on that zombies are made out of meat with no method of healing themselves and thus making them the perfect snack for roaming wild animals and people with shotguns and a grudge against the human condition....they're not really a realistic threat. Have you ever seen meat in a freezer? Have you ever seen it dethawed and then refrozen and then dethawed? That's going to be the death of any winter invasion in most of the United States and Russia. How about beef jerky? Because that's going to be what the zombies in the desert look like. Tropics? Rotten meat disentigrating like crazy. No zombie threat will ever m

Add on top of that the zombie's method of transmission is the worst method of spreading a communicable disease. Unless it was spread in the air somehow then the threat itself will be totally handled merely because they can't repopulate faster then the environment and their top predator (which is also their only food source) kill them off.

Actually, most zombie movies and such I see tend to revolve around small groups. We regress into pack mentality, not loners. Small groups of survivors band together, and anyone who shows up later tends to get turned away or killed. Also, I think you are confusing people banding together after the crisis with how they behave during it. I wonder how many of these people stuck togther when entire neighborhoods were dissolving? In truth, I bet it was mostly every family for themselves, then come back and rebuild afterwards. A zombie apocolypse is an ongoing disaster. The initial response will be, "I gotta get myself and my family out of here!' Not, "lets form ranks and leave as a complete town!"

Rob Roy
2011-01-23, 06:02 AM
Infinite time and money before the breakout? That's too easy. With current technology, Mars could be terraformed in 97-100 years, and because of the infinite pre-breakout prep time and infinite money you could very well get the planet fully terraformed. Assuming that the outbreak starts on Earth, and assuming security and medical checks on spaceships are really thorough because you'll be spending nine months on that ship to get to to Mars, the plague shouldn't be able to get to Mars. Even if it does, most early colonies are going to be underground(and since you'd be the major source of funding for colonization, you'd make sure they are), and several of those colonies are likely to have failed due to machinery failures, with the infinite money you could buy the the ruins of the entire colony and fix it up with state of the art equipment. Since, by necessity these colonies would have farming areas, you should be able to survive indefinitely in one, and safe from the zombies. The other completely safe option is start a generation ship before the breakout. You be well near Jupiter by the time it hits, and if you start it well enough in advance, no one on the ship should have been infected but still living when they got on. Again, too easy. Surviving with the amount of money most people have would be much more of a challenge, but it's 3 am where I am right now, and I've recently heard about this thing called sleep and why it's good for you. I think I might try it out.

druid91
2011-01-23, 11:04 AM
fixed that for ya:smallbiggrin:

I was referring to the elite version of the plan. Not the forerunner version.:smallwink:

Form
2011-01-23, 11:52 AM
1. Say hello to one of my zombified friends whilst I still have no clue what's going on.

2. Get bitten and zombified by aforementioned zombie friend.

3. Live happily ever after whilst nomming on non-zombies and without a care in the world.

super dark33
2011-01-23, 12:22 PM
:xykon:well, here come the pro!
1- first of all, i hope that zombie are slow for sure, like most of the movies for example and not like in zombiland and such (can run, can climb). if so, crap.
2 - remmember, zombie dont need to breath, so water are only slow them.
3 - what if some HUMAN raiders will come? or a leadership strugels? you want your group be loyal. take only family and close friends.
4 - as a castle, you only need a block of concrete. i mean big one.

but, with a endless budget, i will buy a mountain, build a wall around him, and a nuckuler shelter inside him, so in any case- im save.

5 - afraid to stuck without ammo? take some cold wepones! two handed sword, maces. and- armor. a bite cannot pass a chainshirt. but remmember - keep moving. you dont want a bunch of zombie football team to jump on you and make you a schnitzel. {a burger with a cover of crumb of bread}.

well thats it. but how you gonna run survive the trip to that place? that can be another thread

well, good luck! you will need it!

:xykon: attack my minions!

flare X2
2011-01-23, 12:31 PM
1. get to the closest naval base and get into a submarine with thunderbird-esq pods to hunt zombie squids!

2. live in the sea, get bored like hell, posibbly paint the sub yellow (for the lol's).

3. get back on land for more supplies, probably fall over due to losing my land-lubber legs.

4. get killed by a horde of corpses.

I started with the sub idea and came out with this:smallfrown:.
If you see me in real life run, my plans will kill you!

super dark33
2011-01-23, 12:54 PM
read world war Z. and you will get some idea's. a great book.
from ther i got most of my idea's, and the keep-coming nightmer's, whice are quiet fun (me running away from my house, me defend the school with my class mate's, me defending my moshav [kind of village, but more commoniste{lol}, ho just look in wiki!], and so on)
the book is a bunch of stories, all writen as a interview with the people. and here they are-
a Chinese admiral of a submarine {who escape from the zombie with his crue}
a russian solider, tell about her service, and how russia became the holy russian kingdome.
an american solider, about a big fight [when they lose] and then another one [here they win!]
and so on. its a realy good but, but too realistic!