PDA

View Full Version : Level 1 shopping (3.5)

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-13, 09:40 PM
Ok, what are the essentials for a level 1 adventurer?

After buying weapons and armuor I still have 122 GP ans 9 SP, and to my shame I really don't have idea on what to buy:smallredface:

So help please?

Shades of Gray
2011-01-13, 09:42 PM
Spend it on war pigeons.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-13, 09:43 PM
That sounds.... awesome, so source please?

olelia
2011-01-13, 09:44 PM
Class, race, and concept of the character might be nifty things to know. You could always buy a couple of 10 ft ladders ....:smallamused:

Gorgondantess
Have fun. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#specialSubstancesAndItems) A tanglefoot bag ALWAYS comes in handy. That, or a riding dog, or save it up for something actually good, like an anklet of translocation.

Quietus
If you don't have Darkvision, then an everburning torch is nice.

holywhippet
Sort of depends on your class. If you have thieving skills you'll want suitable tools for example.

You might want to consider a healing potion, or if you have cure light wounds on your spell list, a scroll of CLW.

Otherwise go through the equipment list and look for useful stuff like food, rope, tents, climbing equipment, lantern oil (especially lantern oil, it's useful in case some pyromania is called for). A mount might be an idea, depending on the campaign setting.

The-Mage-King
2011-01-13, 09:45 PM
Three vials of Aboleth Mucus (Savage Species). If you run into something that hitting with a stick won't solve, throw one at it and laugh as it soffocates painfully.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-13, 09:51 PM
Class, race, and concept of the character might be nifty things to know. You could always buy a couple of 10 ft ladders ....:smallamused:

:facepalm: I knew I forgot about something; the character is a Human Swordsage//Warlock (gestalt) he is a skirimisher, I am waiting to get to level 3 so I can take eldritch claws feats and use my eldritch blast damage with maneuvers, until then I have to make use of my fists and daggers

If you don't have Darkvision, then an everburning torch is nice.

Nice idea, but most of GP will be gone if I buy one.

Have fun. (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/equipment/goodsAndServices.htm#specialSubstancesAndItems) A tanglefoot bag ALWAYS comes in handy. That, or a riding dog, or save it up for something actually good, like an anklet of translocation.

Tanglefoot bag a bit expensive; but I think having one for emergency would be intelligent, riding dog... not really, this guy is more of a cat person (the fiends that made the pact for his warlock powers were rakshasas :smalltongue:) saving up for an anklet of translocation great idea.

Sort of depends on your class. If you have thieving skills you'll want suitable tools for example.

You might want to consider a healing potion, or if you have cure light wounds on your spell list, a scroll of CLW.

Otherwise go through the equipment list and look for useful stuff like food, rope, tents, climbing equipment, lantern oil (especially lantern oil, it's useful in case some pyromania is called for). A mount might be an idea, depending on the campaign setting.

See above for my class make up; and I don't think a mount will be right for this campaign, it is the Savage tide. Thanks for the other suggestions

Three vials of Aboleth Mucus (Savage Species). If you run into something that hitting with a stick won't solve, throw one at it and laugh as it soffocates painfully.

Would love to buy them; but I don't know if I can justify having a few samples of the mucus of an eldritch abomination from before the start of times... at level 1

Andraste
2011-01-13, 09:53 PM
This is just a quick list from looking over the goods and services from the SRD.

Backpack to hold all the stuff you buy,
Caltrops to slow down people chasing you or a bit of an ambush,
Candles can be useful,
Chalk for leaving quick messages, or marking trees or walls to find your way back,
Crowbar if you plan on breaking down doors,
Flint and steel to make fire,
Some sort of lantern to make light with,
Oil for lantern,
Small steel mirror is useful for looking around corners (first thing my friend always buys with his characters),
Rope for tying up captives or climbing things,
Trail rations if you don't have survival,
Torch for some light if you can't use your lantern,
Tindertwigs for when you need fire quickly,
Artisan's tools/Healer's kit/Holy symbol/Musical instrument/Spellbook/Spell component pouch/Thieves' tools, depending on your class and skill needs,
Horse if you've got the gold left over,
and most importantly, you always need a warship.

Logalmier
2011-01-13, 09:53 PM
If you haven't already gotten a 10-foot pole, then I can't help you. :smalltongue:

The-Mage-King
2011-01-13, 09:58 PM
Would love to buy them; but I don't know if I can justify having a few samples of the mucus of an eldritch abomination from before the start of times... at level 1

Swordsage//Warlock?

Easy.

"Setting out from the monastary/wherever he trained, [Insert Name Here] was given a gift of three of the [Location]'s vials of Aboleth Mucus as a partinng gift from his mentor, who told him to only use them in an emergency."

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-13, 10:00 PM
hmm I might need to be more imaginative with my back-stories then :smalltongue:

I'll ask the DM but I have a strong suspicion he won't let me have them.

GoatBoy
2011-01-13, 10:00 PM
Do you have ranks in UMD? Your DM might allow you to purchase a partially-charged wand. That's 15gp per charge for a 1st-level spell.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-13, 10:02 PM
4 ranks in UMD, but I am not sure my total mod is +4 (no cha bonus), and 15 gp for something that has quite high possibilities of not being useful seems expensive.

Gorgondantess
2011-01-13, 11:15 PM
Tanglefoot bag a bit expensive; but I think having one for emergency would be intelligent, riding dog... not really, this guy is more of a cat person (the fiends that made the pact for his warlock powers were rakshasas :smalltongue:) saving up for an anklet of translocation great idea.

Take one of those, and then spend 30-50 gold on a mix of acid flasks and alchemist's fire, then some various other stuff (sunrods, maybe a smokestick, maybe antitoxin, maybe holy water, whatever) and that should suck up your 120 right quick.
Then again, I suppose the damaging stuff won't be too useful for a warlock, unless you're encountering swarms. So then a tanglefoot bag, a sunrod, and save the rest for an anklet of translocation, which is the most bang for your buck you'll ever get out of a magic item. It's about as useful as the silent image spell- good if you're not creative, AMAZING if you are. Need to add some length to a jump? Throw in the translocation at the end. Get through a wall? Translocation. Want to beat the 5-foot step worthlessness as a full attacker? It's a swift action for movement! For a nasty trick, ready it for your opponent's attack to translocate right behind them. Though I'm not sure if that's legal (but it's still cool!) The possibilities are limitless and for any character class. I usually buy it as quickly as possible.

grarrrg
2011-01-13, 11:45 PM
MARBLES!!!

Balance checks people, balance checks.

Waker
2011-01-13, 11:58 PM
You see anyone try and sell you a 10-foot pole, you need to avoid 'em. What you really need is an 11-foot pole.
That being said, I always find some of the smaller items to be useful. Chalk, mirror, crowbar and rope. Paper can be used for the obvious, but it can be used in conjunction with charcoal or similar substance to make rubbings. Your character can also use it to practice origami.

yldenfrei
2011-01-14, 12:00 AM
Get through a wall? Translocation.
But only if you can see the other side of the wall (i.e. a hole or a window) The Anklet requires line of sight and line of effect to work properly. And even then, it might be argued that a wall blocks line of effect.

For a nasty trick, ready it for your opponent's attack to translocate right behind them.
Legal, but only marginally useful, as you can only ready either a swift or a standard action (or move, or free), but not both. So you teleport behind your enemy, then what? He will proceed with his standard action (ex. a melee attack) and since you're still within range he can still attack you.

The main utility of the anklet is the step-in, attack, step-out approach. You can move in, attack/cast a spell etc., then swift teleport just out of reach. Or swift teleport to move in, then move action to retreat, your choice. Either way you incur AoO for entering/leaving threatened square.

If your desire is a more defensive item, I'd suggest Dimension Stride Boots. 2,000gp (600gp more than the anklet). It has 5 charges/day for your choice of 20ft (1 charge), 40ft (3 charges), or 60ft (5 charges) teleport. This is a standard action, as opposed to the anklet's swift, but it's much more effective in keeping that space between you and the enemy as far as possible. Or catching that fleeing coward, if you prefer.

EDIT:

You see anyone try and sell you a 10-foot pole, you need to avoid 'em. What you really need is an 11-foot pole.
Expandable Pole from Song & Silence! Only 5gp. With a move action, change the length from 1ft to 11ft (by 1ft increments). Much more useful and handy than the 10ft pole. :smalltongue:

Draz74
2011-01-14, 12:18 AM
The whole "mundane equipment" section of Dungeonscape is made of win. Flour Pouches are particularly amazing, and who wouldn't want their 10-ft pole to be collapsible?

mabriss lethe
2011-01-14, 01:39 AM
Grell crystal is also an amazing tool from Lords of Madness. alchemical powder that, when soaked in water, grows to form a huge sheet of bronze hardness grey crystal, I think it's only 10gp, but I'm afb right now

ericgrau
2011-01-14, 02:35 AM
Essentials but some DMs might ignore:
Backpack
Bedroll
Flint and steel
Waterskin
Trail Rations
Whetstone

Nice for Adventuring:
Potion of cure light wounds, 50 gp.
Lantern oil, torch and/or lanterns, tindertwig: Not just for light, check the rules on these for when you need fire for other things.
Alchemists Fire, 20 gp: Ditto, but better
Smokestick, 20 gp: For escapes when things go bad
Rope and grappling hook (see Use Rope)/ Hammer and pitons (see Climb): For getting up walls. Pitons also have a million random uses as metal spikes.
Crowbar or portable ram if you have a good strength, b/c who needs open lock.

thubby
2011-01-14, 03:34 AM
food, if your group keeps track of that stuff.

Beheld
2011-01-14, 03:35 AM
Either way you incur AoO for entering/leaving threatened square.

There is no AoO for entering a threatened square.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-14, 10:12 AM
Ok guys here is my shopping list:

Studded Leather
Daggers X 2
Quarterstaff
Backpack
Bedroll
Caltrops x 3
Oil x 5
Small steel mirror
100 ft. of hempen rope
Collapsible Pole
Grappling Hook
Hammer
Belt Pouch
Iron Spikes x 5
Crowbar
Dust Eggshell granades x 3
Sunlight pellet
Tent

So what do you think? I've still got 5 GP and 9 SP after that.

2xMachina
2011-01-14, 10:17 AM
Some ration and waterskin maybe?

EDIT: This (http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148101) is good stuff too.

some guy
2011-01-14, 10:28 AM
I'm going to +1 the chalk. It costs 1 cp a piece and weighs nothing. You might not need it, but when you need it, you'll be glad you spend some copper pieces for some chalk. My players almost died because they couldn't find their way out of a mazelike dungeon. Chalk would have saved them so much trouble.

EDIT: And I see you don't have a lantern or torches. A lantern is at this moment a bit too expensive (7 gp for a hooded, 12 for a bullseye), you can buy a lamp (1 sp) or some torches (1 cp). It might not be necessary, but back-up light is always nice.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-14, 10:35 AM
The sunlight pellet gives light as a torch

TalonDemonKing
2011-01-14, 10:48 AM
Bouncy rubber ball from Dungeonscape?

Nothing taunts a drow priestess of Lloth more than hitting her in the face with one of those during her big-bad speech.

Plus you can use it to set off traps, explore tunnels, dispel illusions, entertain cat-folk...

ericgrau
2011-01-14, 11:17 AM
For the sake of versimilitude I'd limit the number of larger items, by volume not weight. I mean as-is your backpack is 3-4 feet tall making you look like a camper/porter. This is not a problem with iron/steel items since they are dense, but if your str is less than 14 do check weight.

Draz74
2011-01-14, 11:32 AM

Nothing taunts a drow priestess of Lloth more than hitting her in the face with one of those during her big-bad speech.

Like I said ... "made of win." :smallcool:

2xMachina
2011-01-14, 12:12 PM

Plus you can use it to set off traps, explore tunnels, dispel illusions, entertain cat-folk...

Also good for putting in Symbols of X. Cookies for those who got the reference

grimbold
2011-01-14, 02:52 PM
BUY A BATTERING RAM, no seriously it is one of the most useful things you can own, especially if there are multiple strong party members
also a grappling hook w/ rope can come in very handy

bartman
2011-01-14, 04:08 PM

Plus you can use it to ... entertain cat-folk...

My wife likes to play cat-folk, One time I put a ball of yarn in my pack just for her...

It actually worked too :) (she likes to play chaotic, curious chartacters)

I got quite the look for the rest of the night...

Still worth it :smallbiggrin:

Occasional Sage
2011-01-14, 04:17 PM
BUY A BATTERING RAM, no seriously it is one of the most useful things you can own, especially if there are multiple strong party members

What DMwould allow a lvl1 character to schlep a battering ram?!

thubby
2011-01-15, 02:42 AM

any dm that realizes it only weighs 20lb and almost any character could reasonably move that without issue?

term1nally s1ck
2011-01-15, 06:56 AM
A coupla essential items for survival, so sleeping bag, water, rations etc.

Maybe a healing potion is always good.

Or just buy an animal, and try and train it to attack things. Riding dog is best for that, but whatever you can get.

balistafreak
2011-01-15, 09:57 AM

We're talking about these:

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSSRCetbAkN93hyBrqnTzgflz5Vlpl7M 9trs-Avvi9tTXHemdiO

Not these:

http://www.sbceo.k12.ca.us/~vms/carlton/Rome/ram2.jpg

Scorpions__
2011-01-15, 02:43 PM
Dragon Compendium also has a large number of cheap alchemical items you might want to look into. Liquid Ice is particularly nice.

DM[F]R

ericgrau
2011-01-15, 04:56 PM

Ya both the ram and crowbar give a +2, but if you have allies they can add more +2's with the ram with a mere DC 10 strength check. No door will be safe.