PDA

View Full Version : Advice on a Wilder

Elric VIII
2011-01-13, 11:11 PM
With the time I have to design a certain character down to about 4 days, I have finally settled on a way to make it work.

The goal is a relatively simple character, with a focus on being able to sacrifice personal well-being for additional power.

I will be going for Kalastar Wilder 20 with the Educated Wilder Option. The character will be combat oriented. I would like some advice on feat/power choices.

Feats:

Flaw: Strength of Two
1: Quick Recovery
3: Extend Power
6: Expanded Knowledge
9: Psionic Meditation
12: Quicken Power
15: Mental Juggernaut
18: Enervation Endurance

Powers: (Levels in bold are Expanded Knowledge)

1: Vigor
2: Inertial Armor
4: Energy Adaptation, Specified
5: Expansion
6: Hustle
6: Energy Bolt
8: Dimension Door, Psionic
9: Vampiric Blade
10: Anticipitory Strike
12: Temporal Acceleration
13: Psychofeedback
14: Energy Wave
16: Bend Reality
17: Precognition, Greater
18: Reality Revision
20: Assimilate

I have a few more questions:

Is it possible for a PC to be an Inspired, and where would I find that?

Does Mental Juggernaut work with Quick Recovery when saving against daze?

I will take any advice on power/feat choices. For simplicity I would like to keep it single classed while my group and I get a feel for psionics.

CockroachTeaParty
2011-01-13, 11:49 PM
I would actually advise you switch out True Metabolism for something else. Fast healing at those levels isn't going to be enough to save you in a fight with something really capable of doing damage, and it's too expensive and indulgent for out of combat healing when somebody could just be using wands of Lesser Vigor, etc.

Elric VIII
2011-01-13, 11:55 PM
I would actually advise you switch out True Metabolism for something else. Fast healing at those levels isn't going to be enough to save you in a fight with something really capable of doing damage, and it's too expensive and indulgent for out of combat healing when somebody could just be using wands of Lesser Vigor, etc.

I'm always at a loss for what works past level 6-ish spells, since I haven't played a game that's otten that far. Plus, I'm new to psionics. I don't suppose you could recommend a power for me?

Psyren
2011-01-13, 11:58 PM
I don't suppose you could recommend a power for me?

Several, in fact (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19537882/What_Is_the_Most_Powerful_Psionic_Power)

Elric VIII
2011-01-14, 12:02 AM
Several, in fact (http://community.wizards.com/go/thread/view/75882/19537882/What_Is_the_Most_Powerful_Psionic_Power)

Thank you. I was hoping to catch the eye of the resident psionics expert.

Elric VIII
2011-01-14, 10:47 AM
I've updated the power choices based on the guide Psyren posted. What advice can GitP give on my feat choices?

Also, I was thinking about using Force of Personality instead of Strength of Two or Mental Juggernaut. So this could possibly open up race choices other than Kalashtar.

golem1972
2011-01-14, 02:53 PM
I will be going for Kalastar Wilder 20 with the Educated Wilder Option. The character will be combat oriented. I would like some advice on feat/power choices.

Is it possible for a PC to be an Inspired, and where would I find that?

I will take any advice on power/feat choices. For simplicity I would like to keep it single classed while my group and I get a feel for psionics.

Ebberon Campaign Setting has stats for the Inspired / Chosen. Chosen are a +1 LA, but the ECS states that they shouldn't be used as a PC race. Inspired are Chosen that have been possessed by a Quori. The Quori give various bonuses including Skill ranks. Unfortunately, you're basically a slave of the Dreaming Dark. Almost anything a Kalashtar can do an Inspired can do to.

You might look into the Quori Embedded Shards. Magic of Ebberon has a few of them, others are in ECS. Basically you can have your manifester level in them for a hp sacrifice. Some are ok, the power shards are broken unless you use the errata. Others include force armor (as bracers) up to +10 AC for much cheaper.

Elric VIII
2011-01-14, 02:56 PM
Ebberon Campaign Setting has stats for the Inspired / Chosen. Chosen are a +1 LA, but the ECS states that they shouldn't be used as a PC race. Inspired are Chosen that have been possessed by a Quori. The Quori give various bonuses including Skill ranks. Unfortunately, you're basically a slave of the Dreaming Dark. Almost anything a Kalashtar can do an Inspired can do to.

You might look into the Quori Embedded Shards. Magic of Ebberon has a few of them, others are in ECS. Basically you can have your manifester level in them for a hp sacrifice. Some are ok, the power shards are broken unless you use the errata. Others include force armor (as bracers) up to +10 AC for much cheaper.

The shards might be exatly what I need to pull this concept together. I'm going to look into it now.

Also, I guess I'll be skipping the Inspired.

Stegyre
2011-01-14, 02:57 PM
a very good list, but one that could probably benefit from an update. Among other things, it contains none of the CPsi powers.

I propose that we undertake this project.

golem1972
2011-01-14, 03:09 PM
The shards might be exatly what I need to pull this concept together. I'm going to look into it now.

Also, I guess I'll be skipping the Inspired.

Yeah, I put an Inspired Tashalatora Monk together a while back, it was brutal. Essentially I either pound things with my collossal + fists or my spear of Bane (whatevers standing in front of me). Plus really high skill checks when possessed.

This was pre-errata on the power shards, so I could dump twice my level in PP into things like animal affinity or energy ray.

Edited for being unable to spell the word skill.

Elric VIII
2011-01-14, 11:22 PM
So, on further inspection, I have decided that I will be getting rid of Strength of Two and Mental Juggernaut in favor of Force of Personality.

This essentially gets rid of any reason to play a Kalashtar. I don't suppose anyone has a link to the thread with all of the +0LA races or has any good suggestions for races?

classy one
2011-01-15, 01:34 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4368.0

Wilder handbook on link above.

I'd say Kalashtar is still a fine race for any psionic PC. No other race gives nearly as much PP. Also the embedded shards have one that let's you swap out powers (repository I think) which is a boon to the power starved wilder.

Of course, if your DM allows for a tattoo of Psyreform then go for that instead.

Quick recovery is great but maenad wilder 1 sub let's you for get about ennervation all together. This is from untapped potential, which is a 3rd party source so DM permission is needed.

Psyren
2011-01-15, 01:43 AM
Maenad Wilder (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/maenad-wilder)

If 3rd-party is allowed, it is the best choice. Otherwise, I might stay with Kalashtar, or go with Synad (CPsi).

Psychofeedback is not a good choice - ability burn sucks and takes forever to get rid of. Take Schism instead to double your actions with.

Elric VIII
2011-01-15, 09:42 AM
http://brilliantgameologists.com/boards/index.php?topic=4368.0
Of course, if your DM allows for a tattoo of Psyreform then go for that instead.

Where can I find this?

Maenad Wilder (http://dsp-d20-srd.wikidot.com/maenad-wilder)

If 3rd-party is allowed, it is the best choice. Otherwise, I might stay with Kalashtar, or go with Synad (CPsi).

Psychofeedback is not a good choice - ability burn sucks and takes forever to get rid of. Take Schism instead to double your actions with.

Thanks for the handbook. Psychofeedback was one of the powers I chose to fit his theme of damage for power. Although Schism seems like amazing and I cannot see a reasonably optimized psionics user without it.

classy one
2011-01-15, 12:59 PM
The tattoo of Psyreform requires a feat found in the mind's eye website (the same place you found educated wilder ACF). The article is called "Getting Wired". The feat, tattoo mastery, let's you scribe tattoos of higher level and even have it recharge (capacitor), use as a swift action without provoking AoO (mental tap), and so on. One tattoo even let's you recharge your capacitor so you don't have to wait 24 hour to use it again.

So you could do something like spam Psyreform and incarnate without XP cost. With the ability to spam Psyreform without XP cost you overcome the biggest hurdle of Wilders which is lack of powers.

At higher levels you should consider unconditional power as well. It let's you manifest powers even when you are dazed or stunned for +6 PP, which is convent since can go up to +6 PP.

In general, I would agree with the author of the handbook and not go over +3 wild surge.
Schism doesn't stop when you are dazed so it is very good for Wilders who don't want to lose a action but want to keep surging. You should also pick up practised manifester to make schism only -2 ML as well.

classy one
2011-01-15, 03:57 PM
Oh and change your flaw to expatroit (sp?) from dragonmarked. When you take it you select a dragonmarked house. From that point one you can no longer use their services or call in any favors from them. Still if your campaign didn't put an emphasis on the Twelve to begin with, this is a free feat.

You should get this.

Elric VIII
2011-01-15, 10:58 PM
*snip*

Thank you. I think that I have enough to begin building the class now.