PDA

View Full Version : Need feedback on a hulk smash build

faceroll
2011-01-13, 11:41 PM
I've been playing spellcasters for two years straight, which is fun and all, but it's getting tedious. I want to play a ludicrously strong barbarian that deflects blows with his mighty muscles and can charge through stone walls.

To that end, I'm looking at:
barbarian1/monk2/psy war2/fist of forest2/ftr2/rog2

Barbarian:
gets me whirling frenzy and pounce

Monk:
gets me combat expertise, improved trip, and unarmed strike. I am fairly certain in UA, I get those bonus feats even if I don't meet the pre-reqs. I am going to be pretty stupid, so it would be nice to get those feats without struggling to meet 13 int.

Psy war:
gets me two bonus feats and two powers

fist of the forest:
full BAB and con to AC

fighter:
two fighter feats

Rogue2:
gets me two fighter feats.

Feats of interest and fun:
knockdown- basically gives me an extra attack if I can trip an opponent

reckless rage- my +4 str +2 AC and an extra attack whirling frenzy becomes +6 str +2 con with no AC bonus.

extra rage- we never have more than 3 encounters a day, so that should cover my rageahol

knockback- when power attacking, have the option to send foes flying

great cleave- keep chopping!

Destructive rage- for coolaid man entrances

Race:
half-minotaur water orc.
With a reckless whirling frenzy and the racial/template str bonus, I am looking at 40 strength at level 1. Oh Yeah!

Also large size, lots of con, some natural armor, speed boost, scent, track, and some other goodies.

problems:
I really want to swing a greataxe and split faces, but flurry of blows and unarmed strikes would get me an extra attack and could net me like 4d6 or 6d6 base damage as opposed to 3d6 for a greataxe. Is there a feat that will let me flurry with a greataxe? Is there a way to get a bigger strength multiplier to damage with a flurry of blows? Does anyone have access to UA and know if the passive way monk lets me ignore the pre-reqs for combat expertise?

I'm starting play at level 1 in a party of level 7 to level 10 adventurers. I need lots of go power right away. A longspear and natural reach is nice at level 1, psy war at level 4 + practiced manifester nets me 6 armor, and fist of the forest gets me even more armor. Of course, the brokenness of the half-minotaur template will carry me a long way.

The DM doesn't like to give us useful loot or let us spend gold. If a solution involves a magic item, it's not going to be that useful of a solution.

Dr.Epic
2011-01-13, 11:44 PM
You know, taking a level in barbarian and then going lawful (for monk) will cause you to lose the rage ability. If you want to rage and be a monk, there are ways to do this.

faceroll
2011-01-13, 11:47 PM
You know, taking a level in barbarian and then going lawful (for monk) will cause you to lose the rage ability. If you want to rage and be a monk, there are ways to do this.

For only two levels, and levels I'll quickly move past thanks to the high CR opponents we'll be facing. That's fine with me.

Admiral Squish
2011-01-13, 11:54 PM
Instead of traditional fighter levels, what about dungeocrasher? you get massive damage if you bull rush a guy into a wall or floor. Which, with knockback, is ridiculously easy.

faceroll
2011-01-14, 12:12 AM
Instead of traditional fighter levels, what about dungeocrasher? you get massive damage if you bull rush a guy into a wall or floor. Which, with knockback, is ridiculously easy.

We lack the dungeonscape book, otherwise I'd be all over that.

Darrin
2011-01-14, 07:44 AM
Feats of interest and fun:
knockdown- basically gives me an extra attack if I can trip an opponent

Make sure you clear this with your DM, or at least that he's aware of the errata issue. Sword & Fist errata says you don't get an extra attack. The same feat was included in Deities & Demigods without the errata, and later published in the Divine section of the SRD (also without the errata). Many DMs will insist the Sword & Fist errata should still apply. (I don't. Melee should get a few nice things every once in a while.)

problems:
I really want to swing a greataxe and split faces, but flurry of blows and unarmed strikes would get me an extra attack and could net me like 4d6 or 6d6 base damage as opposed to 3d6 for a greataxe. Is there a feat that will let me flurry with a greataxe?

Start with an unawakened/lesser Sunsword +1 (3000 GP, Expedition to Castle Ravenloft p. 210). Since it can be wielded as either a bastard sword or shortsword, it counts as a light weapon, a one-handed exotic weapon, or a two-handed martial weapon. Add the Morphing property (MIC) and you can change it to a greataxe. Now add the Unorthodox Flurry feat (Dragon Compendium) to treat a light weapon (counts as a shortsword) as a monk weapon. Get two of these weapons, and you can TWF with them.

Also, take a look at Shou Disciple in Unapproachable East. You can use this to pick up Flurry and a monk's unarmed strike without taking levels of monk. Shou Disciple 3 can flurry with any light melee weapon. Shou Disciple 5 can flurry with any melee weapon.

Is there a way to get a bigger strength multiplier to damage with a flurry of blows? Does anyone have access to UA and know if the passive way monk lets me ignore the pre-reqs for combat expertise?

Multiple arms, maybe? There are some feats that let you flurry with polearms (Dragon Compendium, some Eberron feats), so you can get a two-handed bonus on that... add the usual Power Attack/Shock Trooper/Leap Attack shenanigans on top of that.