PDA

View Full Version : Session / Adventure Starts

Earthwalker
2011-01-14, 08:14 AM
We have one post with a GM looking for a way to start a session I thought I would add a few of the unusual session starts I have seen / played and ask if anyone has any more. Its always good to get more ideas out there. So what are the best / most memorable starts to a session / adventure / campaign you have played.

“Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for coming. My employer has requested I contact you and obtain your services. My employer believes you have the perfect skill set for what he has planed. I have been authorized to pay up to 5,000 gold to each of you should you choose to perform my employers simple task. Before I can divulge the nature of the task my master has one condition”
The man before you reaches into his desk draw and pulls out a vial of some strange glowing liquid.
“This is an extract from the Viliuns plant know locally as givers loss. The correct application of this potion will remove a persons memory for a set period of time. If you choose to take this task you will be given this potion so you can not tell anyone of my employers plans. So do we have a deal?”
Once the players say yes (if they do) then you cut to
The same clerk hands you over the money you were promised
“Thank you for a job well done. Here is the money as promised in my employer needs more work I am sure he will contact you”…..

From there the mission is done and the players paid. Of course assassins from the job start chasing the players, they once again get dragged back in and have to work out what they did to get into this mess.

hydraa
2011-01-14, 11:02 AM
I started mine for a group of first level characters that were geographically separated so there was no reason for them to know each other (however there is room in some of the backstories for some relationships (the gray-elf wizard's father was gone for a while and had a child with a halfing creating a tallfellow halfling that is the rogue in the party)

Each of the characters had a shared dream one night of them in the future, they awoke the next day and recieved a summons from the ruler of the hegemony for a mission that they were selected for. They were told to prepare there there estates and say there good-byes and transport would arrive for them.

Transport was sent for them and deposited them all at the port in the capital city at the same time. The characters then were allowed to introduce themselves to each other and figure out what was going on and why they were there. They were then to find there way to the rulers palace.

Along the way they were accosted by two different groups, one group is questioning the rulers ability to lead and another group that is bound to cause general mischief to all.

So the characters (subjects of the hegemony) will have to decide which path(s) to follow: the rulers whims , join with the anti-government forces, and/or deal with the third group of people.

So far they are mostly going along with the rulers whims (even though they have not seen the ruler himself yet just as a projection at the beginning and have been communicating with his personal assistant) However they are also checking out the anti-government forces (especially making sure they ditch the military DPMC assigned to protect them (babysit) them.

Sipex
2011-01-14, 11:09 AM
I've seen the following in use so far:

1) The PCs all state how they know each other and explain how they came to be a group, each stating their personal goals (or keeping it a secret because their character is that way). They are then told they accepted a job doing X for Y (which is in line with what they do). They start off en-route to the town where the quest starts and are attacked by bandits.

2) The PCs all agree that they are students for a prestigious guild before playing. They all come up with stories to why they go there and the game starts on the day of their final exam of sorts where they're put together in order to accomplish a task which turns into the main quest.

3) The DM states the current situation for the PCs, explaining they all live on an island after they were shipwrecked over 20 years ago. The PCs then insert themselves into the situation and explain how they fit in. Some were born on the island while others were part of the original crew.

Gwillednt
2011-01-14, 11:25 AM
We have one post with a GM looking for a way to start a session I thought I would add a few of the unusual session starts I have seen / played and ask if anyone has any more. Its always good to get more ideas out there. So what are the best / most memorable starts to a session / adventure / campaign you have played.

“Good evening Ladies and Gentlemen thank you for coming. My employer has requested I contact you and obtain your services. My employer believes you have the perfect skill set for what he has planed. I have been authorized to pay up to 5,000 gold to each of you should you choose to perform my employers simple task. Before I can divulge the nature of the task my master has one condition”
The man before you reaches into his desk draw and pulls out a vial of some strange glowing liquid.
“This is an extract from the Viliuns plant know locally as givers loss. The correct application of this potion will remove a persons memory for a set period of time. If you choose to take this task you will be given this potion so you can not tell anyone of my employers plans. So do we have a deal?”
Once the players say yes (if they do) then you cut to
The same clerk hands you over the money you were promised
“Thank you for a job well done. Here is the money as promised in my employer needs more work I am sure he will contact you”…..

From there the mission is done and the players paid. Of course assassins from the job start chasing the players, they once again get dragged back in and have to work out what they did to get into this mess.

Hehe, that sounds like it's fun, the only problem is there's a lot of character types who would never agree to something like that.

I most typically dont use the tavern thing.
My latest campaign (starting sunday) is everyone's old favorite characters, who have all died. Instead of going to the afterlife, they are being sucked into a portal without and equipment, gold, and back at level 1, being dumped in a pile outside the portal.
And because I'm an ass, the female gnome will be on the bottom as progressively heavier characters fall on top, finishing with the orc ranger.

hydraa
2011-01-14, 11:39 AM
Instead of going to the afterlife, they are being sucked into a portal without and equipment, gold, and back at level 1, being dumped in a pile outside the portal.

Sounds a little bit like the show Sliders except they got to keep there personal belongings with them along with the timer

the female gnome will be on the bottom as progressively heavier characters fall on top, finishing with the orc ranger.
To increase the effect you can also put the portal 10-15 ft above the surface and have them start out with 1d6 of falling damage as well. But that might just cause them to have to rest at the beginning or use up a lot of the healer's spells if you have one.

Also looking at falling objects rule a item that is 200 lbs will deal 1d6 of damage if it falls 10 ft so now you are at 2d6 of damage or more depending on the characters that are coming out of the portal to 1st level characters. 2d6 will not outright kill a d4 HD character unless it has a very bad CON modifier. However, a living creature is not an object

Gwillednt
2011-01-14, 11:40 AM
Sounds a little bit like the show Sliders except they got to keep there personal belongings with them along with the timer

To increase the effect you can also put the portal 10-15 ft above the surface and have them start out with 1d6 of falling damage as well. But that might just cause them to have to rest at the beginning or use up a lot of the healer's spells if you have one.

Also looking at falling objects rule a item that is 200 lbs will deal 1d6 of damage if it falls 10 ft so now you are at 2d6 of damage or more depending on the characters that are coming out of the portal to 1st level characters. 2d6 will not outright kill a d4 HD character unless it has a very bad CON modifier. However, a living creature is not an object

Hehe, well it won't be a far fall, not even 10 feet. She's d6, i think, beguiler, and con is probably decent as she's a gnome.