PDA

View Full Version : [3.5] Gestalt Warmage

Kansaschaser
2011-01-14, 08:19 AM
I'm making a gestalt character for a Dungeons and Dragons game. My idea so far is a Warmage / Favored Soul. My question is, what would be a good prestige class to use for either the Warmage or the Favored Soul.

My only requirement is that one of my gestalt classes must be taken each level.

So at 20th level, I would be a Warmage 20 / Favored Soul 6 (plus prestige classes or other classes).

OR

At 20th level, I would be a Favored Soul 20 / Warmage 6 (plus prestige classes or other classes).

Got any ideas for other classes, prestige classes, and feat selection?

*.*.*.*
2011-01-14, 08:25 AM
Prc on the Warmage side, Favored Soul gets class features. I would normally suggest Rainbow Savant, but since you're a FS....

How about something like:Sorcerer 6 / War Mage 5 / Sanctified One of Kord 1 / Elemental Savant 1 / Academy Sorcerer 7*

*CantripN posted this build over on BG

Kansaschaser
2011-01-14, 08:54 AM
Prc on the Warmage side, Favored Soul gets class features. I would normally suggest Rainbow Savant, but since you're a FS....

How about something like:Sorcerer 6 / War Mage 5 / Sanctified One of Kord 1 / Elemental Savant 1 / Academy Sorcerer 7*

*CantripN posted this build over on BG

Where did you get the Sanctified One of Kord and the Academy Sorcerer?

*.*.*.*
2011-01-14, 09:00 AM
Where did you get the Sanctified One of Kord and the Academy Sorcerer?

Academy sorc and War Mage are from Dragonlance:Age of Mortals

Sanctified one of Kord is from Complete Champion

Also: Replace those sorc levels with Warmage levels

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-14, 09:06 AM
Sanctified one of Kord, changes half the damage of your attack spells to divine damage and thus un-resistible.

Academy sorcerer... I don't have idea.

As far as ideas go, I suggest you go something like

Warmage 6/Mage of the Arcane Order 10*/ Anything that advances casting 4 levels (I am partial to Fiend blooded**;but it need some sub par feats)//Favoured Soul 20

*Complete Arcane, gives access to all the sorcerer and wizard spells from the PHB, you can pay your spell pool debt quite easily as warmages have a good number of spells per day.

**Full casting for those for levels, some miscelaneous stat bonus, one or two spells from any class spell list (as long as they habe the fire descriptor or are from illusion enchantment or necromancy) and your familiar (should you have one) gains the fiendish template.

*.*.*.*
2011-01-14, 09:11 AM
Academy sorcerer... I don't have idea.

Sorcerer 6 / War Mage 2 (Sorcerer 6 / War Mage 5 / Sanctified One of Kord 1 / Elemental Savant 1 / Academy Sorcerer 7)

ACFs:
Stalwart Sorcerer (lose one spell known from your highest spell level) - Gain a martial weapon proficiency, and weapon focus in that weapon, and 2 hitpoints/level.
Force Charged Energy (lose 2nd level spell known) - half damage of spells is force damage.

Feats:
Metamagic Storm - Energy Substitution (Fire)
1B - Weapon Focus (Longsword)
1st - Combat Casting
3rd - Snowcasting
6th - Eschew Materials
8B - Empower Spell
9th - Frozen Magic
10B - Maximize Spell
12th - Cold Spell Specialization
15th - Dragon Prophesier
18th - Prophecy's Shaper

All your spells get +5 Damage per die (without resorting to spells to boost it further), and each round you get a free Empower. Also, major boosts to DC and CL for all spells, not to mention all your damage is Holy and Unresistable.

If possible, be a Draconic Goblin, take the 4th level Sorcerer Sub. Level from Races of the Dragon, and get Practical Metamagic (Empower) @ 15th, and Residual Magic @ 18th. Only do this if LA-buyoff is allowed. If not, don't.

Just replace Sorcerer with Warmage and you'll be cool

Kansaschaser
2011-01-14, 09:11 AM
How can a Warmage qualify for the Mage of the Arcane Order? You have to "prepare and cast arcane spells". The Warmage does not prepare spells, it's a spontaneous caster.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-14, 09:15 AM
Just replace Sorcerer with Warmage and you'll be cool

Where did you get? = Force Charged Energy (lose 2nd level spell known) - half damage of spells is force damage.

*.*.*.*
2011-01-14, 09:18 AM
Where did you get? = Force Charged Energy (lose 2nd level spell known) - half damage of spells is force damage.

Well....it seems the ACFs wouldn't really transfer over as a Warmage. However, if you want to pick up Sorc(Way better in my opinion even for blasting) the ACF can be found here

http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/iw/20040711b&page=1

Essence_of_War
2011-01-14, 09:33 AM
It is possible to slip in a 2 level paladin dip on either side? You'll still get highest level spells.

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-14, 09:35 AM
How can a Warmage qualify for the Mage of the Arcane Order? You have to "prepare and cast arcane spells". The Warmage does not prepare spells, it's a spontaneous caster.

Arcane preparation feat in the same book, a feat tax; but I believe that much versatility is worth it.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-14, 09:35 AM
It is possible to slip in a 2 level paladin dip on either side? You'll still get highest level spells.

Add paladin to ge the ability to add my charisma bonus to saves? If I'm full Favored Soul, I'll have the best saves already. Would I really need the extra saves?

Zuljita
2011-01-14, 10:10 AM
more saves are always better imo, always good to have more "i rolled crap" insurance

*.*.*.*
2011-01-14, 10:20 AM
more saves are always better imo, always good to have more "i rolled crap" insurance

If you really want said ability, take a 2 level dip in prestige pally for the paladin spell list

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/prestigiousCharacterClasses.htm

Getting turn undead is pretty cool as well, meaning DMM shenanigans

Essence_of_War
2011-01-14, 10:45 AM
That actually might not work, prestige paladin requires turn undead as a class feature to get in.

Think about the saves this way, your base saves are all +12, but cha is your primary stat. You'll have a +6 item, a +5 manual, probably all of your stat points, or most of them at least will go to cha. Your charisma with items will probably be around 30, that means your base saves will nearly double if you have divine grace!

*.*.*.*
2011-01-14, 10:49 AM
That actually might not work, prestige paladin requires turn undead as a class feature to get in.

Curse me for skimming!

As to whether or not Divine Grace is important enough....Ask yourself, do you want moar spells or higher saves?

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-01-14, 11:28 AM
So, you have to take all 20 levels of one of the classes you start with, or at every level you must have at least one level of one of those two classes?

Using two primary spellcasting classes isn't the best idea, you get twice as many spells/day but each of those classes gets enough to never run out anyway. I'd recommend taking Rainbow Servant, reflavored to Phoenix Servant as per its adaptation entry (Good, Fire, and Renewal domains, Detect Evil, Detect Magic, and maybe either Find Traps or See Invisibility). That allows you to spontaneously cast the entire Cleric spell list with your Warmage spellcasting ability. That way you can drop Favored Soul and use something that would be of greater benefit. I'd go something like Crusader with it, and maybe after Phoenix Servant is maxed out pick up Jade Phoenix Mage. Crusader can focus on Devoted Spirit and White Raven maneuvers and stances, to heal and boost himself and his allies until he gets access to the Cleric list.

If you don't necessarily have to take all 20 levels of one of those classes, go something like the following:
1. Crusader 1// Warmage 1, Extra Granted Maneuver
2. Crusader 2// Warmage 2
3. Crusader 3// Warmage 3, Versatile Spellcaster
4. Crusader 4// Warmage 4
5. Phoenix Servant 1// Warmage 5
6. Crusader 5// Phoenix Servant 2
7. Crusader 6// Phoenix Servant 3
8. Phoenix Servant 4// Warmage 6
9. Crusader 7// Phoenix Servant 5
10. Crusader 8// Phoenix Servant 6
11. Phoenix Servant 7// Warmage 7
12. Crusader 9// Phoenix Servant 8
13. Crusader 10// Phoenix Servant 9
14. Phoenix Servant 10// Warmage 8
15. Jade Phoenix Mage 1// Warmage 9
16. Crusader 11// Jade Phoenix Mage
17. Crusader 12// Jade Phoenix Mage
18. Crusader 13// Jade Phoenix Mage
19. Crusader 14// Jade Phoenix Mage
20. Jade Phoenix Mage 6// Warmage 10

Versatile Spellcaster allows you to spend two of your highest-level spell slots to cast a spell you know that's one level higher. At Warmage 4 you can spend two 2nd-level spell slots to cast a 3rd level spell, thus qualifying for Rainbow/Phoenix Servant earlier than usual. If you can use flaws you could instead use Illumian with the feats Improved Sigil: Krau and Versatile Spellcaster at 1st level, and spend two 1st level spell slots to cast a 2nd level spell which is counted as a 3rd level spell. That way you could begin taking Rainbow/Phoenix Servant at your 2nd character level, as long as you include fulfillment of the 'special' prerequisite in your character's background. You can say he discovered and befriended a Phoenix as a child hence his inspiration to go this route. In this case, just move his prestige classes up by three levels, take Crusader levels when a prestige class grants spellcasting, or take a Warmage level when a prestige class doesn't advance spellcasting.

If you have to take all 20 levels in one of the classes you start out with, I'd probably go something like Illumian Warmage 20// Sorcerer 1/ Phoenix Servant 10/ Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7/ Archmage 2. Apply the spellcasting increases to Sorcerer, but the domains and Cleric spell access to Warmage. If you can't use flaws for the Illumian early entry, I'd go Warmage 20// Sorcerer 4/ Phoenix Servant 10/ Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 6 instead.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-14, 11:32 AM
If I take a two level dip into Paladin, I would need to be a Warmage of 1-3rd level to prevent the 20% experience penalty.

So, if I'm a Favored Soul 20 on one side and a Warmage 3 / Paladin 2 on the other side, what about the extra 15 levels? What arcane casting prestige class can I qualify for at level 5?

I was thinking Warmage 3 / Paladin 2 / Human Paragon 3 / Mage of the Arcane Order 4 / Swiftblade 8.

Human Paragon gives 2 levels of spellcasting and a +2 bonus to any ability score.

If you have to take all 20 levels in one of the classes you start out with, I'd probably go something like Illumian Warmage 20// Sorcerer 1/ Phoenix Servant 10/ Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 7/ Archmage 2. Apply the spellcasting increases to Sorcerer, but the domains and Cleric spell access to Warmage. If you can't use flaws for the Illumian early entry, I'd go Warmage 20// Sorcerer 4/ Phoenix Servant 10/ Initiate of the Sevenfold Veil 6 instead.

Not only do I have to take all 20 levels in one specific class, that class must be my favored class. And no, we can't take flaws, I've already asked.

Draz74
2011-01-14, 11:35 AM

And the usual workaround works just fine here: dip Sacred Exorcist before dipping Prestige Paladin.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-01-14, 11:56 AM
Not only do I have to take all 20 levels in one specific class, that class must be my favored class. And no, we can't take flaws, I've already asked.

Since prestige classes don't count for the XP penalty and are never considered a favored class, maybe consider the following:
Human Warmage 20// Human Paragon 1/ Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 1/ Phoenix Servant 10/ Human Paragon 2/ Abjurant Champion 4, again using Versatile Spellcaster for early qualification, again applying prestige class spellcasting to Sorcerer and the domains and cleric spell access to Warmage.

Another alternative would be Human Warmage 20// Harmonious Knight (http://wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/we/20060327a) Paladin 2/ Sorcerer 2/ Phoenix Servant 10/ Virtuoso 6+. You'll probably need to take Able Learner for this one.

Hazzardevil
2011-01-15, 12:37 PM
My first piece of advice is to swap warmage for sprit shaman and take dynamic priest.
You now have access to and this is with only rainbow servant.
9th level druid spells,
9th level cleric spells,
9th level warmage spells,
access to 3 domains I think and possibly their powers,
and you havent prestiged shaman yet.
and don't get me started on turning you into a melee monster as well with ruby knight vindicter giving you maneuvers as well.
and you know what you have given up to get this?
One feat, a few levels where you can use a prestige and you have some rather rubbish hitpoints.

I also reccomend if you want to become a awesome melee monster even better you can change your casting stat from cha to wis there are a group of feats that let you change your casting stat to dex, wis, con or str by giving up a spellschool.
if you go instead of shaman druid you now have wildshape and a companion,
using some ua variants for druid you can get wis to ac, rage as a barb without greater rage, fast movement as a monk and a lot of other silly things making you something that could compete pun-pun with no effort and walk over codzilla.
This is how powerful gestalt can make things.

*.*.*.*
2011-01-15, 02:19 PM
If the guy is requesting a Favored Soul//Warmage build, I believe we should respect that request.

Kansaschaser
2011-01-15, 05:11 PM
If the guy is requesting a Favored Soul//Warmage build, I believe we should respect that request.

Well, I wanted to have one stat to worry about (in this case I chose Charisma) and be able to cast both arcane and divine spells. Also, the Warmage and the Favored Soul can wear armor and still cast spells.

If you have suggestions on two different classes to use that..

1) Use the same stat for casting.
2) Can wear armor without a penalty to casting.
3) Have access to divine spells at low levels.
4) Have access to arcane spells at low levels.

...then I'll take yer' advice.

Gnaeus
2011-01-15, 05:32 PM
Dread Necro is also Charisma based, and has a better spell list and better class features than the Warmage. Doesn't get to wear heavy armor, but it gets DR and fortification instead. Rebuke undead would allow DMM or access into PRCs for the favored soul side.

Greenish
2011-01-15, 05:34 PM
Well, I wanted to have one stat to worry about (in this case I chose Charisma) and be able to cast both arcane and divine spells. Also, the Warmage and the Favored Soul can wear armor and still cast spells.

If you have suggestions on two different classes to use that..

1) Use the same stat for casting.
2) Can wear armor without a penalty to casting.
3) Have access to divine spells at low levels.
4) Have access to arcane spells at low levels.

...then I'll take yer' advice.Duskblade/Archivist?

Dusk Eclipse
2011-01-15, 05:38 PM
Duskblade/Archivist?

..... I am speechless... well done good sir, you deserve an Internet.

Greenish
2011-01-15, 06:00 PM
..... I am speechless... well done good sir, you deserve an Internet.Well, there aren't so many combinations that fulfill all the requirements. I can only think of 5 arcane casters that get casting from the first level and get to ignore ASF: bard, beguiler, dread necromancer, duskblade and warmage.

Then you need a divine caster with cha or int based casting, and the list is even shorter: archivist, favoured soul and spirit shaman.

Hmm, spirit shaman//dread necromancer would have an interesting fluff…

ffone
2011-01-15, 06:27 PM
Rogue is popular to gestalt with Warmage.

1. Lots of sneak attack spells (anything with an attack roll)

2 . Both light armor classes.

3. Rogue's good for gestalt in general b/c it has a lot of passive abilities (evasion, uncanny dodge, etc.), the highest skill points, the rarest good save (Reflex), and combines decently with both physical attackers and arcane casters (both of whom tend to have 2 + Int skill points and a good Fort or Will).

4. Moderate stat synergy. Go for a charismatic rogue. Use Magic Device for sure, to round out the limited spell list.

5. If you're high level / rich enough, get a ring of blinking and then use Force effects like Orb of Force: blinking lets you sneak attack most things (you attack as if invisible) and a force attack will ignore the 20% miss chance.

6. With Rapid Metamagic or Arcane Preparation, and Quicken Spell, you could cast two spells a round; even lowly L0 and L1 ranged touch spells can be good for more sneak attack. Or maybe Twin Spell or Split Ray if they don't get caught by the 'volley attack' rules (only 1 can add precision damage) that snags Scorching Ray.

Biffoniacus_Furiou
2011-01-15, 06:32 PM
Battle Sorcerer (http://www.d20srd.org/srd/variant/classes/variantCharacterClasses.htm#sorcererVariantBattleS orcerer)//Favored Soul, and I'd go with the PH2 ACFs for both classes. You could take all 20 in Favored Soul, and so something like Battle Sorcerer 6/ Swiftblade (http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/prc/20070327) 9/ Abjurant Champion 5 on the other side. The Haste benefit at level 15 will allow you to cast twice as many spells each round, so you'll actually be able to put those spell slots to good use. Learn Fly or Overland Flight and get Flyby Attack, and eventually you'll grow wings and be able to pick a different spell to replace that. Versatile Spellcaster will allow you to cast even more of your highest level spells with little risk of running out of spell slots.

Bang!
2011-01-15, 06:59 PM
Bard//Shugenja/Hexer could make a pretty crazy skillmonkey-buffer-debuffer-gish thing.
Limited spells, though.

*.*.*.*
2011-01-15, 07:59 PM
Duskblade/Archivist?

Simple and awesomely effective, this is what you should play

You'd be a buffing damage dealing tank with some awesome debuff and descent skills.